PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Joins the 21st Century

bobabode
12-17-2015, 10:41 PM
"New Orleans Will Finally Tear Down Its Monuments to American Traitors"

"The city's statues honoring Robert E. Lee and other figures of the Confederacy will be removed."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a40604/new-orleans-confederate-monuments/

barbara
12-18-2015, 03:54 PM
I can't agree with taking down these statues.

I know the men depicted were on the "wrong" and losing side..... But.... That is still a part of our history. Those men fought for what they believed in.... Even if I don't agree with their beliefs.

Maybe a separate place.... Museum or something where our history..... The good, bad, and ugly, can be honored.

If we hide our shameful past, I fear we may repeat it. I'd rather learn from it.

Boreas
12-18-2015, 04:07 PM

I know the men depicted were on the "wrong" and losing side..... But.... That is still a part of our history. Those men fought for what they believed in.... Even if I don't agree with their beliefs.

Maybe a separate place.... Museum or something where our history..... The good, bad, and ugly, can be honored.

If we hide our shameful past, I fear we may repeat it. I'd rather learn from it.

These flags, statues and street or place names venerate these people and the "cause" they represent. Honestly, this is tantamount to having statues of Hitler and Goebels in Berlin with the Nazi flag flying above them.

bobabode
12-18-2015, 04:11 PM

"Mayor Mitch Landrieu told the council as he called for the statues to be put in a museum or a Civil War park." from the link above.

barbara
12-18-2015, 04:16 PM
These flags, statues and street or place names venerate these people and the "cause" they represent. Honestly, this is tantamount to having statues of Hitler and Goebels in Berlin with the Nazi flag flying above them.

I don't see it that way.

Disagreement isn't a bad thing, though😉

barbara
12-18-2015, 04:16 PM
"Mayor Mitch Landrieu told the council as he called for the statues to be put in a museum or a Civil War park." from the link above.

Thank you , Bob. I didn't catch that. Seems like a good idea.

VanishingPoi
01-09-2016, 02:53 PM

Very well said!! I agree.

finnbow
01-09-2016, 02:56 PM
As for New Orleans entering the 21st century, I oppose it. Having lived there for three years, I appreciate it for what it is - the only third world city in the US.:D

Dondilion
01-09-2016, 03:30 PM

You speak great truth.