PDA

View Full Version : Dammit...

bobabode
01-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Not a Powerball winner here. :(

I guess we won't be building any 'Butter Cathedrals' here in Costa Misery.

I should've asked Sister Mary JJ for some divine intercession. ;)

Boreas
01-13-2016, 10:35 PM

That's alright. You'll win next time..... when the payout is $1.3bn!

bobabode
01-13-2016, 10:38 PM
That's alright. You'll win next time..... when the payout is $1.3bn!

Nobody won? What a racket. Damn, I wanted a week in the Lincoln bedroom. :)

Edit - California is saying that someone bought a winning ticket in Chino Hills down here.

Boreas
01-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Nobody won? What a racket. :)

Nope! Nobody.

bobabode
01-13-2016, 10:58 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-lottery-says-it-has-a-winner-in-historic-dollar15-bln-powerball-jackpot/ar-CCvVKB?ocid=spartanntp

Boreas
01-13-2016, 11:13 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-lottery-says-it-has-a-winner-in-historic-dollar15-bln-powerball-jackpot/ar-CCvVKB?ocid=spartanntp

OOPS! I thought I heard no winner on the news. Oh, well!

JJIII
01-14-2016, 05:16 AM

Hey, when it comes to 1.5bn. even a Sister buys a ticket! :D

Dondilion
01-14-2016, 07:04 AM
California, Florida, Tennessee. Three winning tickets.

The news indicate big celebration at the California outlet. The owner says he will pay for some scholarships out his million dollar bonus. Nice!

Dondilion
01-14-2016, 07:13 AM
Bob, California is the best - NO TAX on the winnings.

MrPots
01-14-2016, 11:07 AM

I was really looking forward to buying the playboy mansion and sharing the missus with the Heff......

MrPots
01-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Bob, California is the best - NO TAX on the winnings.

No tax in Tennessee either.....

Zeke
01-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Maybe I'm getting old or rational but I don't even know how to dream about that sort of $$$.

If I won it, I -- quite literally -- would not know what to do.

I think I'd put on a pot of good coffee, light a cigar, and quake in terror for hours...

JJIII
01-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Maybe I'm getting old or rational but I don't even know how to dream about that sort of $$$.

I think I'd put on a pot of good coffee, light a cigar, and quake in terror for hours...

Really! I'm quite relieved myself. :)

donquixote99
01-14-2016, 03:49 PM

That's for sure.

Thinking about it, once I get my feet back under me, I'd think I'd really need one particular book: 'Hiring Auditors for Dummies.'

Manage a billion? Damn there would be a lot to keep track of ... heck of a way to retire....

MrPots
01-14-2016, 09:15 PM

fund no kill shelters across the country......

bobabode
01-14-2016, 11:24 PM
fund no kill shelters across the country......

with free spay/neutering on demand, humans included. ;)

MrPots
01-15-2016, 08:35 AM
especially humans....

If there is any animal on earth more stupid about uncontrolled breeding than dogs, it's humans.

We should close all the "no-kill" human shelters.....

hillbilly
01-15-2016, 07:05 PM
That's for sure.

Thinking about it, once I get my feet back under me, I'd think I'd really need one particular book: 'Hiring Auditors for Dummies.'

Manage a billion? Damn there would be a lot to keep track of ... heck of a way to retire....

Wouldn't be much to keep track of really. Unless you put it in a bank and had to fool with the government taxing the interest.

bobabode
01-15-2016, 07:13 PM
Wouldn't be much to keep track of really. Unless you put it in a bank and had to fool with the government taxing the interest.

I'd hire Willie Nelson, CSNY, KD Lang, etc. and the Jefferson Airplane for a party with a few thousand of my closest friends on my ranch in the Simi Valley.

Along with a dozen barrels of Pappy Van Winkle's best. :cool:

hillbilly
01-15-2016, 07:27 PM
I'd hire Willie Nelson, CSNY, KD Lang, etc. and the Jefferson Airplane for a party with a few thousand of my closest friends on my ranch in the Simi Valley.

Along with a dozen barrels of Pappy Van Winkle's best. :cool:

Aaron Tippin has been known to host birthday parties for free, and he's "almost" my neighbor here. I've sat by him and talked many of times at our school basketball games. Feller is as common as can be, conservative, flashes no money and is just like everyone else. He's just one of several that have property in this low population area and they can come out in the open without folks going nuts wanting autographs or screaming OMG look who that is. 😎

hillbilly
01-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Not sure how I'd feel with that kind of money. I'd only keep enough to live on, after building a garage with my own hands for under 20,000.00 ( two vehicle lifts included ). Maybe buy my dads land to relieve my worries of it being sold after he's gone. Most of the money would go to folks I choose to be in need, I'd pay for parks to be built, skating rinks, etc to occupy kids that have nowhere to go in some towns. Safe house for battered women, stuff like that but wouldn't toss it out to just anyone and trust them to do the good deeds I'd prefer it to be used for.

donquixote99
01-15-2016, 08:45 PM

It's kinda got to be in banks, or exchanged for property of some kind. You try to convert it all to cash and stash it somewhere, and first of all any cash withdrawal over $10,000 has to be reported to the government. So you'll have IRS guys constantly crawling up your ass because they are sure you're hiding investments and income.

Then there is just the physical problem of storing that much currency, safe from thieves, fire etc:

This pallet and the bit it front of it in this illustration make $100,000,000:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/315059/DEBT-VISUAL.jpg

You know, to do it your way, avoiding interest or any income and avoiding all further taxes (after the first bite), you could put it all in gold. Gold broker holds it for you, you don't get interest, you pay storage fees. You owe tax if you make profit selling any for cash, but you ought to be able to get around that...

hillbilly
01-15-2016, 11:25 PM
It's kinda got to be in banks, or exchanged for property of some kind. You try to convert it all to cash and stash it somewhere, and first of all any cash withdrawal over $10,000 has to be reported to the government. So you'll have IRS guys constantly crawling up your ass because they are sure you're hiding investments and income.

Then there is just the physical problem of storing that much currency, safe from thieves, fire etc:

This pallet and the bit it front of it in this illustration make $100,000,000:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/315059/DEBT-VISUAL.jpg

You know, to do it your way, avoiding interest or any income and avoiding all further taxes (after the first bite), you could put it all in gold. Gold broker holds it for you, you don't get interest, you pay storage fees. You owe tax if you make profit selling any for cash, but you ought to be able to get around that...

LOL, it's a joke my friend. :)

I was expecting a reply more like ''Haha, yeah man, I'd go to Walmart and buy a few pair of socks to stuff it all in.'' :p

donquixote99
01-16-2016, 07:06 AM
Heh. Of course no discussion of these matters is actually 'serious.'

But you know, parking it in gold is likely as safe and simple as anything you could do with it. You avoid what could be tremendous management and tax hassles. You loose millions and millions in interest income, but you wouldn't miss it. And the auditing becomes idiot simple. So as a way of keeping one's sanity with a sudden massive fortune, it has it's points.

Only drawback is you effectively have removed all that wealth from the economy It's one of the most economically-inert things you could do with it. It's like if you bought a million acres of land and then just let it all sit and grow weeds.

hillbilly
01-16-2016, 10:28 AM
Heh. Of course no discussion of these matters is actually 'serious.'

But you know, parking it in gold is likely as safe and simple as anything you could do with it. You avoid what could be tremendous management and tax hassles. You loose millions and millions in interest income, but you wouldn't miss it. And the auditing becomes idiot simple. So as a way of keeping one's sanity with a sudden massive fortune, it has it's points.

Only drawback is you effectively have removed all that wealth from the economy It's one of the most economically-inert things you could do with it. It's like if you bought a million acres of land and then just let it all sit and grow weeds.

I agree with the money but I'll be serious about the land. Returning it to Forrest is pretty much what my dad done with his 262 acres and another man who joins him did with 800 acres. It's pretty private now, and that was the plan in 1974 when he bought it.

donquixote99
01-16-2016, 11:43 AM
I agree with the money but I'll be serious about the land. Returning it to Forrest is pretty much what my dad done with his 262 acres and another man who joins him did with 800 acres. It's pretty private now, and that was the plan in 1974 when he bought it.

Well yes, land that's well-watered enough to grow timber does produce some value if you just let it alone. Though you can get several times the timber value by messing with it some. Did your dad plant any trees?

It's neat how a few hundred acres can make you feel like you've gotten away from all the people....