PDA

View Full Version : Turkey, Saudis and UAE Pledge Troops To Fight ISIS

bobabode
02-14-2016, 12:33 AM
'Turkey pledges to send ground forces to fight the Islamic State in Syria'

"MUNICH — Turkey will supply ground forces to an anti-Islamic State coalition in Syria and will allow Saudi Arabian strike missions against the militants from its air bases, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said in an interview published Saturday.

The Saudis have already visited the Turkish base at Incirlik, where U.S. warplanes are launching attacks against the Islamic State, in preparation for the new deployment, Cavusoglu told the pro-government Turkish newspaper Yeni Safak after speaking at an international security conference here." WaPo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/turkey-pledges-to-send-ground-forces-to-fight-islamic-state-in-syria/2016/02/13/310e2b82-d24f-11e5-b2bc-988409ee911b_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_kerry-154pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

donquixote99
02-14-2016, 06:40 AM
The Turks have a powerful army, this is bad news indeed for ISIS. Bad news for the Kurds as well, though....

Dondilion
02-14-2016, 08:36 AM
The Turks have a powerful army, this is bad news indeed for ISIS. Bad news for the Kurds as well, though....

Turkey is a bad player in the area.

Supported ISIS.

Benefited from ISIS oil.

Announced that they were going to attack ISIS but instead attacked the Kurds.

Protests the violation of borders and airspace and regularly violates Syria's and Iraq's.

Has an organized system of sending refugees/migrants to Europe.

Then in turn blackmailed the feckless Merkel.

The main intention of Turks is to slaughter the Kurds like they did the Armenians.

catswiththum
02-14-2016, 08:41 AM
http://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21689871-under-recep-tayip-erdogan-and-his-ak-party-turkey-has-become-richer-and-more-confident

Boreas
02-14-2016, 09:34 AM

My very first thought.

Boreas
02-14-2016, 11:08 AM
So far, Turkey's "contribution" under this new agreement is to shell Kurdish positions and those of the Syrian Arab Army in areas where these groups are engaging ISIS.

https://www.rt.com/news/332414-turkey-continues-shell-kurdish/

It seems the reconquest of the Ottoman Empire has begun.

nailer
02-14-2016, 11:24 AM
It seems the reconquest of the Ottoman Empire has begun.

The Turk's focus is on keeping the ISIS threat away from his borders and keeping his remaining Kurdish territory.

CarlV
02-14-2016, 11:26 AM
What the Turks do is tell us what we want to hear then do what they want just like everybody else in that region. After a 100 years of meddling in their affairs we in the USA still can't figure it out. At least they are consistant just like the MIL sellouts that want more wars to make sure they have plenty of orders for military supplies.

Carl

Dondilion
02-14-2016, 11:35 AM
The Turk's focus is on keeping the ISIS threat away from his borders and keeping his remaining Kurdish territory.

The leader, Erdogan, wants to recreate the Caliphate; he is just not as explicit as ISIS.

nailer
02-14-2016, 11:59 AM
The leader, Erdogan, wants to recreate the Caliphate; he is just not as explicit as ISIS.

Has he said it or does his rhetoric allow his constituency to infer?

bobabode
02-14-2016, 12:33 PM
http://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21689871-under-recep-tayip-erdogan-and-his-ak-party-turkey-has-become-richer-and-more-confident

Ran into their paywall. Here's a PDF of the article I found on Google.
http://www.economist.com/sites/default/files/20160206_turkey.pdf

Boreas
02-14-2016, 12:35 PM

And wiping out the Syrian Kurds along the border is a terrific way of keeping ISIS out.

Erdogan has been playing footsy with ISIS for a long time, buying their stolen oil, treating their wounded, giving safe conduct to ISIS volunteers into and out of Turkey and attacking Syrian Kurdish forces in Syria. What we're seeing now is Phase II, the addition of Assad's army to his hit list.

Oh, and calling Erdogan "The Turk" smacks of "Ataturk", or "The Father of the Turk", the honorific bestowed on Mustafa Kemal who created a secular Turkish republic out of the ashes of the Ottoman Empire. Erdogan wants to undo that, especially that secular nonsense.

Boreas
02-14-2016, 12:38 PM

Why not find these answers for yourself. Erdogan's Islamist views, policies and proposals are quite well known.

nailer
02-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Oh, and calling Erdogan "The Turk" smacks of "Ataturk", or "The Father of the Turk", the honorific bestowed on Mustafa Kemal who created a secular Turkish republic out of the ashes of the Ottoman Empire. Erdogan wants to undo that, especially that secular nonsense.

Who's calling Erdogan The Turk? I was commenting on your post which references the Ottoman empire, not Erdogan. BTW, the use of "The Turk" predates Ataturk.

nailer
02-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Why not find these answers for yourself. Erdogan's Islamist views, policies and proposals are quite well known.

Because I want Don's take on it. I was not talking to you.

I doubt that Erdogan's views are all that well know, but I do appreciate your hard-on. :cool:

Dondilion
02-14-2016, 01:15 PM

More inference.

The suppression of secular Turkey and the promotion of Muslim symbols and culture. For instance the push to revive the Ottoman language which uses the Arabic alphabet.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/12/10/remodelling-turkeyinerdogansimage.html

Boreas
02-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Who's calling Erdogan The Turk? I was commenting on your post which references the Ottoman empire, not Erdogan. BTW, the use of "The Turk" predates Ataturk.

You, apparently.

"The Turk's focus is on keeping the ISIS threat away from his borders and keeping his remaining Kurdish territory. "

Boreas
02-14-2016, 02:15 PM
I was not talking to you.

Who are you, Travis Bickle?

Boreas
02-14-2016, 02:16 PM
I doubt that Erdogan's views are all that well know, but

Why, because you're not familiar with them?

finnbow
02-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Because I want Don's take on it. I was not talking to you.

I doubt that Erdogan's views are all that well known ...

His views, as well as his undemocratic actions to silence political and press critics, are all very well known and have been written about extensively for the past several years. He's basically an autocrat like Putin or Orban of Hungary (or like Trump wants to be) who will use religion, threats of Kurdish separatism/violence, and anything else to cement his hold on power.

nailer
02-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Who are you, Travis Bickle?

I was channeling you. :D

nailer
02-14-2016, 02:35 PM
His views, as well as his undemocratic actions to silence political and press critics, are all very well known...

Not in the general public. ;)

finnbow
02-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Not in the general public. ;)

Who's fault is that? Hell, the general public couldn't find Turkey on the map. As aside, we had a family vacation in Turkey in May 2013 and left Istanbul on the day before the Taksim Square uprising.

nailer
02-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Who's fault is that? Hell, the general public couldn't find Turkey on the map.

Not mine, dude.

Does knowing where Hellespont is count?