PDA

View Full Version : The Obama Doctrine

nailer
03-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Worth reading. An excerpt:

It appeared as though Obama had drawn the conclusion that damage to American credibility in one region of the world would bleed into others, and that U.S. deterrent credibility was indeed at stake in Syria. Assad, it seemed, had succeeded in pushing the president to a place he never thought he would have to go. Obama generally believes that the Washington foreign-policy establishment, which he secretly disdains, makes a fetish of “credibility”—particularly the sort of credibility purchased with force. The preservation of credibility, he says, led to Vietnam. Within the White House, Obama would argue that “dropping bombs on someone to prove that you’re willing to drop bombs on someone is just about the worst reason to use force.”

American national-security credibility, as it is conventionally understood in the Pentagon, the State Department, and the cluster of think tanks headquartered within walking distance of the White House, is an intangible yet potent force—one that, when properly nurtured, keeps America’s friends feeling secure and keeps the international order stable.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/

icenine
03-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Sounds like Obama has read The Best And The Brightest. Vietnam IS the prime example of a war needlessly dragging on because of American fear of losing credibility...the so-called Peace With Honor strategy of Nixon.

MrPots
03-22-2016, 03:09 PM
I guess my only comment, and one that, to me invalidates the entire article is how does this person know what Obama secretly feels about anything?

It's all speculation from there......

bobabode
03-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Not that I expect many will agree but he's arguably the best POTUS in my six decades on this mudball hurtling through space. The next one will continue his legacy in her own way. ;)

MrPots
03-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Obama? Yes, he's a rock star. That's why the republicans hate him. But then all they have is hate.....

finnbow
03-22-2016, 03:15 PM
I guess my only comment, and one that, to me invalidates the entire article is how does this person know what Obama secretly feels about anything?

It's all speculation from there......

Read the article. Obama gave this guy access for months and the resulting article is very in-depth and informative. A highly worthy, if long, read.

MrPots
03-22-2016, 03:16 PM
OK.....

Dondilion
03-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Read the article. Obama gave this guy access for months and the resulting article is very in-depth and informative. A highly worthy, if long, read.

Obama seems now to be very comfortable with his world view. He has more self confidence which allows him to read and ignore the noise and BS coming from the media and some of the people around him.

bobabode
03-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Obama seems now to be very comfortable with his world view. He has more self confidence which allows him to read and ignore the noise and BS coming from the media and some of the people around him.

Another four years would seal the deal. ;)

merrylander
03-24-2016, 01:07 PM
I don't have any children or grandchildren in the Services buut the way some of these chicken hawks would cheerfully send other people's loved ones into harms way astounds me. Although written for a different problem, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's The Children has words that seem applicable.

Dondilion
03-27-2016, 04:41 AM
Another four years would seal the deal. ;)

The implications of that are not good; leader tend to take themselves too seriously the longer they remain in power.