PDA

View Full Version : Sotomayor

noonereal
05-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I think the nomination of a minority women is long over do.
In her own words:
“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

I agree.

Thoughts?

Sandy G
05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Why don't we ever worry about what kind of legal INTELLECT a person has than focusing so damn much about how many blacks, whites, womens, Klingons, Aardvarks, et al, ad nauseum, on the court ?

wajobu
05-26-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm ready, unless the "party of no" blocks it. Then the Court can focus on straightening the Prop 8 mess in CA, amongst the many other injustices out there.

noonereal
05-26-2009, 07:47 PM
I believe the though on a court appointees now is that they need to be more than a one dimensional academic scholar.
A women like Sotomayor will not be questioned as to her legal intellect as that is clear from her resume. The added dimension she will bring is an understanding of life in the United States from a different perspective which is very representative of a large segment of the population.

Great choice, IMO.

noonereal
05-26-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm ready, unless the "party of no" blocks it. Then the Court can focus on straightening the Prop 8 mess in CA, amongst the many other injustices out there.

think I'll spin a cd,

how about some Was (Not Was) ?

Semi-interesting Week from Boo?

I think that would be considered political. ;)

Charles
05-26-2009, 09:52 PM
I think the nomination of a minority women is long over do.
In her own words:
“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

I agree.

Thoughts?

As someone who has indicated that she will legislate from the bench, suggesting that she will use her personal experiences as precedent, I can't say that I'm in favor of her. Certainly not on the USSC.

Whatever happened to justice is blind and the letter of the law? I always thought that a good judge was one who could leave his personal feelings outside of the courtroom, especially when serving on the USSC.

Chas

Sandy G
05-26-2009, 10:39 PM
We should ALWAYS trust a wise, wonderful woman of the Latina persuasion over a dusty old document written nearly 250 years ago by a bunch of dead, rich, white guys who obviously didn't have a clue as to what they were doing, except to when it came to Opressing Wise, Wonderful Women & African-AmericansandLatinasandblahblahblah....

JJIII
05-27-2009, 05:39 AM
I am in the same camp as Sandy and Charles. There should be no legislation from the Bench. There is another branch of government assigned that duty.

noonereal
05-27-2009, 05:55 AM
We should ALWAYS trust a wise, wonderful woman of the Latina persuasion over a dusty old document written nearly 250 years ago by a bunch of dead, rich, white guys who obviously didn't have a clue as to what they were doing, except to when it came to Opressing Wise, Wonderful Women & African-AmericansandLatinasandblahblahblah....

I guess you are right, "a dusty old document written nearly 250 years ago by a bunch of dead, rich, white guys" should be interpreted by a bunch of the richest old white guys alive today rather than "Wise, Wonderful Women & African-AmericansandLatinas."

noonereal
05-27-2009, 05:58 AM
I am in the same camp as Sandy and Charles. There should be no legislation from the Bench. There is another branch of government assigned that duty.

I think we all agree that there should be no legislation written from the bench.

noonereal
05-27-2009, 06:13 AM
As someone who has indicated that she will legislate from the bench, suggesting that she will use her personal experiences as precedent, I can't say that I'm in favor of her. Certainly not on the USSC.

Whatever happened to justice is blind and the letter of the law? I always thought that a good judge was one who could leave his personal feelings outside of the courtroom, especially when serving on the USSC.

Chas

I have not heard her say that she would legislate from the bench. If she indeed had I am sure it would have been the top news story today. What I understand is that she has said that her experience will bring a different perspective.
If you are correct and she does indeed believe she is a legislator, I will not support her.
I am also concerned about the employment discrimination case brought by firefighters in New Haven. The unsigned decision by Judge Sotomayor and two other judges, affirmed the dismissal of the claims from 18 white firefighters. How her decision was made needs to be explained and I am sure she will be questioned extensively on this.
I withhold my final judgment on her until this and anything else that may come forward is explained.

merrylander
05-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I gather she explained that remark that since she was serving on an apellate court the decisions handed down sometimes do affect legislation, e.g., if the Supreme court or other apellate court declares some legislation to be invalid then it does "affect legislation". No other court has this power but simply declares guilt or innocence.

I actually wrote to the President and suggested that he find a smart woman storefront lawyer. All those Harvard and Yale grads in SCOTUS have about as much idea of what you and I put up with as does the man in the moon.

As Dorothy Parker once wrote "You can always tell a Harvard man, you just can't tell him very much.". Perhaps as a non-grad I may be predjudiced.

RedwoodGuy
05-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Why don't we ever worry about what kind of legal INTELLECT a person has than focusing so damn much about how many blacks, whites, womens, Klingons, Aardvarks, et al, ad nauseum, on the court ?
Because all dominant cultures have an Establishment that enforces the culture. That Establishment naturally attempts to be uniform "like me" if you will. They each seek their own identity in the other. This creates monoculture. That can be fine if the culture is actually so uniform, but what happens in a culture like the USA which is designed as a democratic immigrant culture?

The only way to prevent a monoculture from riding roughshed over a democracy is to take specific action and intention to disburse Establishment power into more hands than it would naturally choose to do on its own.

If you want a vibrant democracy, and it's ok if you don't, you have to make intentional moves to preserve it. You can't put it on autopilot. This is just like in marriage - you have to WORK at it.

Charles
05-27-2009, 03:34 PM
I believe it was her statement that "the court of appeals is where policy is made." While this quote is taken out of context, the rest of her statement did sound as though she felt that rulings from the appeals courts, and the USSC reach beyond the letter of the law, and thought should be given as to how these rulings will affect the existing law. Or just possibly her explanation of how things work.

I'd hook up a link to U-Tube were I capable, so that you could draw your own conclusions.

Her other statement about a "wise latina woman" was simply to make a point, I suppose.

To be fair, she does appear to have excellent credentials, and may not be a bad choice at all. I would like to think that there will be a "vetting" process, but I've become so jaded that I expect nothing more than smash mouth politics at it's worst. Just another dog and pony show.

Chas

noonereal
05-27-2009, 03:43 PM
here ya' go Chas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfC99LrrM2Q

Sandy G
05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
If she's so "Wise 'n' Wonderful", how come something like 60% of her decisions were later overturned ? Least that's what I think I read on "Drudge".

Charles
05-27-2009, 08:49 PM
If she's so "Wise 'n' Wonderful", how come something like 60% of her decisions were later overturned ? Least that's what I think I read on "Drudge".

I've been reading the same thing. Also read where she's a member of La Raza. But she's in like Flint. No one, especially the Republicans, want to offend the Hispanics.

I could say something, or a lot of things, but I'll pass,
Chas

PS: Am I the only one who thinks about cashing in all of their chips and buying a sailboat?

JJIII
05-28-2009, 05:46 AM
"PS: Am I the only one who thinks about cashing in all of their chips and buying a sailboat?"

Need a crew member?

noonereal
05-28-2009, 07:00 AM
PS: Am I the only one who thinks about cashing in all of their chips and buying a sailboat?

nope, there is about 20% of the country that supports the extreme right agenda.

I would suggest that you wait a few years and see how the policies of the newly elected President affect you then decide. Even Bush, arguably the most alienating President in American history was given more time to prove himself than the right is giving Obie.

merrylander
05-28-2009, 07:11 AM
In actual fact it seems that the majority of her decisions have been middle of the road, and that is pretty much where the majority of the country sits.