PDA

View Full Version : The Pentagon Is In A Shooting War With The CIA.

Boreas
03-31-2016, 11:38 AM
WTF???????!!!!!!!!

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/35452-the-cia-and-the-pentagon-are-shooting-at-each-other

finnbow
03-31-2016, 11:58 AM
Sounds like a perfectly cogent policy in Syria - arm everyone and let them kill each other off.

Boreas
03-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Sounds like a perfectly cogent policy in Syria - arm everyone and let them kill each other off.

I'm going to assume that this isn't a serious comment.

finnbow
03-31-2016, 12:57 PM
I'm going to assume that this isn't a serious comment.

It was half in jest. Such a policy would be at least as effective as anything we've done in the past decade (or longer) in the Mideast.

As for the CIA and DoD fighting each other, nothing new here. I remember a Harvard Business School survey done back when I was in grad school. It asked what motivated private sector and public sector executives most. For the private sector, it was making a profit. For the public sector, it was the acquisition and maintenance of "turf." I remember the professor saying that when confused by the seemingly inexplicable in government, first look through the prism of turf and it will likely make sense.

merrylander
03-31-2016, 02:03 PM
It was half in jest. Such a policy would be at least as effective as anything we've done in the past decade (or longer) in the Mideast.

As for the CIA and DoD fighting each other, nothing new here. I remember a Harvard Business School survey done back when I was in grad school. It asked what motivated private sector and public sector executives most. For the private sector, it was making a profit. For the public sector, it was the acquisition and maintenance of "turf." I remember the professor saying that when confused by the seemingly inexplicable in government, first look through the prism of turf and it will likely make sense.

Too true.

Dondilion
03-31-2016, 02:11 PM
The article is repetitious and padded without providing the reader with some insights.

finnbow
03-31-2016, 02:17 PM
What the article points out is no more ridiculous that us siding with the Shia/Iran in Iraq to fight ISIS and trying to side with Sunnis in Syria to fight against Assad/Shia/Iran. Meanwhile, in Yemen, we're siding with the (Shia supported) government) in fighting Sunni insurgents who are backed by Saudi Arabia, our ally. Go figure.:confused::confused:

Rajoo
03-31-2016, 04:23 PM
What the article points out is no more ridiculous that us siding with the Shia/Iran in Iraq to fight ISIS and trying to side with Sunnis in Syria to fight against Assad/Shia/Iran. Meanwhile, in Yemen, we're siding with the (Shia supported) government) in fighting Sunni insurgents who are backed by Saudi Arabia, our ally. Go figure.:confused::confused:

As long as we continue to provide arms to both sides, the private sector objective is fulfilled and the public sector can go piss in the wind. Sounds good to me.

nailer
03-31-2016, 07:32 PM

It's an asymmetric conflict.

Boreas
03-31-2016, 07:48 PM

I think it's quite different. In Syria we have two departments of government each funding a combatant which is actively conducting military operations against the other. As far as I know, nothing similar has occurred since the Iran/Iraq War when we were arming Saddam and, through Iran-Contra arming the Iranians as well.

Another insane situation we're engaged in is our support for the Kurds who are fighting Daesh in Iraq and Syria while simultaneously supporting Turkey which is fighting the Kurds in those two countries as well as in Turkey itself.

nailer
03-31-2016, 08:03 PM
Another insane situation we're engaged in is our support for the Kurds who are fighting Daesh in Iraq and Syria while simultaneously supporting Turkey which is fighting the Kurds in those two countries as well as in Turkey itself.

Crazy maybe, but not necessarily insane.

So, now you're a Natural Surrealist?

Boreas
03-31-2016, 08:27 PM
Crazy maybe, but not necessarily insane.

So, now you're a Natural Surrealist?

National Surrealist Light People's Party.

finnbow
03-31-2016, 10:04 PM
I think it's quite different. In Syria we have two departments of government each funding a combatant which is actively conducting military operations against the other. As far as I know, nothing similar has occurred since the Iran/Iraq War when we were arming Saddam and, through Iran-Contra arming the Iranians as well.

We are kinda/sorta allied with the Shia militia fighting ISIS in Iraq, while building relationships with Sunni militias in Anbar province to hold cities like Mosul when we liberate them. Meanwhile these same Iraqi Sunnis and Shia have been fighting each other since we deposed Saddam. There are no permanent alliances between any of the various insurgent groups in Syria and Iraq. Hell, many of the same guys who helped us with the "surge"are now in ISIS. This whole boogie is a mess.

nailer
04-01-2016, 07:06 AM
We are kinda/sorta allied with the Shia militia fighting ISIS in Iraq, while building relationships with Sunni militias in Anbar province to hold cities like Mosul when we liberate them. Meanwhile these same Iraqi Sunnis and Shia have been fighting each other since we deposed Saddam. There are no permanent alliances between any of the various insurgent groups in Syria and Iraq. Hell, many of the same guys who helped us with the ""are now in ISIS. This whole boogie is a mess.

We opened a big can of worms with OIF.