PDA

View Full Version : Comedy news

MikeCh
03-18-2010, 06:59 PM
I find it very fascinating that so many of my liberal friends get their only news from two source's....the Comedy Channel's Colbert and Stewart. I wonder why they don't necessarily listen to NPR, MSNBC, Fox, CNN, etc. but instead only to the Comedy Channel???

finnbow
03-18-2010, 07:16 PM
I listen or watch all of the above (some more than others) and the two Comedy Channel shows are at least as interesting and informative as all but NPR. Going to Fox or MSNBC for news is just asking for biased BS. At least with the Comedy Channel you get a laugh out of it and I believe it's actually aimed at a more intelligent audience than all but NPR. CNN for the most part is also a sorry excuse for a news station.

JJIII
03-18-2010, 07:17 PM
That may be the only way they can swallow it. ;)

d-ray657
03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I listen or watch all of the above (some more than others) and the two Comedy Channel shows are at least as interesting and informative as all but NPR. Going to Fox or MSNBC for news is just asking for biased BS. At least with the Comedy Channel you get a laugh out of it and I believe it's actually aimed at a more intelligent audience than all but NPR. CNN for the most part is also a sorry excuse for a news station.

I still get a newspaper; I listen to NPR in my half-hour each way drive; I check out the Washington Post website 2 or 3 times a week, and my searches on particular issues will often lead me to Huffington. The only TV news that I see are clips that might show up on a website. Not on a regular basis, but I will sometimes catch on the main guests on the Daily show for the past week on the Comedy Central website. On occasion, I have even been known to read an article on the Fox website.

NPR spoiled me years ago. They usually have time to get some in depth reporting from foreign correspondents, sometimes multipart stories on domestic issues, and even long term followups on long-term stories - like checking in once a week or so with people who have lost jobs and see how it is affecting them. Even then they often supplement the radio stories with expansion on the web. Interestingly, this evening I heard them identify themselves as "National Public Media" as opposed to National Public Radio. I am a fan.

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
03-19-2010, 12:06 AM
I get all my news from The Daily Worker.

John

Charles
03-19-2010, 06:30 AM
I get all my news from The Daily Worker.

John

At times I believe you.

Chas

merrylander
03-19-2010, 06:51 AM
I don't know who your friends are but here we watch the local channel for local news and the BBC and Newshour. Used to watch CNN until Blitzer got on my nerves, refuse to watch anything on FOX. Couric cured me of CBS news and since they all are sponsored I wonder how much bias that introduces. I still read the Post since AFAIK anything on the Internet is suspect.

noonereal
03-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Colbert and Stewart I highly recommend.

I Chris on MSNBC at 5, local NJ news at 6.
BBC at 6:30.
Then Colbert and Stewart.

In the morning I watch Imus on Fox business.

Personally, I find it very fascinating that so many of my conservative friends get their only news from two source's, Beck and Hannity. I wonder why they don't necessarily listen to NPR, MSNBC, Comedy Channel, CNN, etc. but instead only to the Idiot Channel????, I mean Fox.

Twodogs
03-19-2010, 07:39 PM
, Beck and Hannity.

Funny, those are the two I can't stand to watch. I like O'Reilly, Gretta, and Shepard Smith.

noonereal
03-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Funny, those are the two I can't stand to watch. I like O'Reilly, Gretta, and Shepard Smith.

doesn't O'Reilly's arrogance bother you? Between that and his fair and balanced nonsense I tend to skip him. Besides he is up against BB and other sports during his time slot that I choose to watch. I am not familiar with this Shepherd guy. When is he/she on? I'll give it a try.

MikeCh
03-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Colbert and Stewart I highly recommend.

For comic relief, I agree. Colbert is one funny dude. I was rolling on the floor when he was being interviewed during the olympics with Bob Costas.

I watch some of the Fox people sometimes. O'Reilly, Greta, Brett (when I can catch him) and Shepard. Face it, Fox has some nice looking women too :D To balance things out I listen daily to the wack job editor for a liberal blog and his morning show when I'm driving to work. I also enjoy NPR in the same way d-ray mentioned that they have depth and followup to older stories/people. The one thing I don't like on NPR is that Robert Siegel's voice, though his coverage is often times very interesting.

JJIII
03-20-2010, 08:29 AM
In the morning I watch Imus on Fox business.

Anybody that watches Imus can't be all bad! :D

MikeCh
03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_14712468?source=rss#axzz0ijCgQ2Zu

To me, this vid clip (second one) is a good example of the comedy-news and it's shortcomings. Yes, the Colbert piece is funny, witty and the narration is like always...hilarious. However, if you read the text of the news story below to understand why the gal is "really" being evicted, you see that the property management company is stating she is/was evicted because of failure to pay rent and not over the Peeps. Colbert's "news" simply targets the rediculous and funny/stupid and in some cases never mentions the reality of many stories. This has the potential to leave his viewing audience with their jaws dropped open in amazement (or should anyway) that something like this is newsworthy and court-worthy.

All I'm saying is that people like a gal I work with, my sister, a buddy of mine from Denver, et. al. that "only" watch the comedy channel for their news, have got to be lost and amazed at todays news....and they don't seem to wonder if there might be more to the story....and Colbert and Stewart don't do much to fill the reality gap, they leave that to the audience to be smarter than that. Many aren't.

noonereal
03-20-2010, 10:38 AM
http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_14712468?source=rss#axzz0ijCgQ2Zu

To me, this vid clip (second one) is a good example of the comedy-news and it's shortcomings. Yes, the Colbert piece is funny, witty and the narration is like always...hilarious. However, if you read the text of the news story below to understand why the gal is "really" being evicted, you see that the property management company is stating she is/was evicted because of failure to pay rent and not over the Peeps. Colbert's "news" simply targets the rediculous and funny/stupid and in some cases never mentions the reality of many stories. This has the potential to leave his viewing audience with their jaws dropped open in amazement (or should anyway) that something like this is newsworthy and court-worthy.

All I'm saying is that people like a gal I work with, my sister, a buddy of mine from Denver, et. al. that "only" watch the comedy channel for their news, have got to be lost and amazed at todays news....and they don't seem to wonder if there might be more to the story....and Colbert and Stewart don't do much to fill the reality gap, they leave that to the audience to be smarter than that. Many aren't.

so you are saying it's no better than regular news. I agree.

finnbow
03-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't know if any of you saw Jon Stewart's spoof of Beck (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-18-2010/conservative-libertarian). It is absolutely priceless. This is one of the best pieces I've ever seen on The Daily Show. You'll have to have watched Beck a time or two to fully appreciate the humor, but IMHO this is political parody at its finest.

noonereal
03-20-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't know if any of you saw Jon Stewart's spoof of Beck (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-18-2010/conservative-libertarian). It is absolutely priceless. This is one of the best pieces I've ever seen on The Daily Show. You'll have to have watched Beck a time or two to fully appreciate the humor, but IMHO this is political parody at its finest.

I saw it last night. Indeed it was a wonderful parody.