PDA

View Full Version : How thinking of terrorists as pirates can help win the war on terror.

VanishingPoi
05-01-2016, 06:24 PM
This article is really worth the read.

AT FIRST GLANCE, THE CORRELATION BETWEEN PIRACY AND TERRORISM seems a stretch. Yet much of the basis of this skepticism can be traced to romantic and inaccurate notions about piracy. An examination of the actual history of the crime reveals startling, even astonishing, parallels to contemporary international terrorism. Viewed in its proper historical context, piracy emerges as a clear and powerful precedent.

http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/July-August-2005/feature_burgess_julaug05.msp

finnbow
05-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Nice piece of navel-gazing. The issue isn't which statute to use against ISIS, it's which combination of weaponry, diplomacy, and "government-building" will work to eradicate them. We don't seem to have found it yet.

nailer
05-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Did ISIS even exist as a terrorist threat in 2005?

While reading the article brigandage came to mind.

donquixote99
05-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Nice piece of navel-gazing. The issue isn't which statute to use against ISIS, it's which combination of weaponry, diplomacy, and "government-building" will work to eradicate them. We don't seem to have found it yet.

Ah, the typical pragmatic engineer. Doesn't get 'soft power,' so dismisses it. But two things are necessary to any action: the physical ability, and the willingness. A legal paradigm relates to the willingness.

Oh by the way, as I was discussing in the other thread, law is the fundamental basis of civilization.

finnbow
05-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Ah, the typical pragmatic engineer. Doesn't get 'soft power,' so dismisses it. But two things are necessary to any action: the physical ability, and the willingness. A legal paradigm relates to the willingness.

Oh by the way, as I was discussing in the other thread, law is the fundamental basis of civilization.

I specifically mentioned diplomacy (i.e., soft power). The article is more akin to the GOP argument that they key to defeating ISIS is only to snap your fingers and say "radical Islamic terrorist." If we labeled ISIS or Al Qaeda pirates, it would change nothing in the manner in which they must be confronted.

donquixote99
05-01-2016, 11:37 PM
It is the same thing. Except people who stick on one target-designating label can get on board with the other.

nailer
05-02-2016, 12:37 AM
Couldn't thinking of terrorists as pirates in effect romanticize them for some and potentially provide additional support?

VanishingPoi
05-03-2016, 07:26 PM
I don't think they are literally saying call them Pirates but to define the word terrorist first. We still have not defined what a terrorist is.

Dondilion
05-03-2016, 09:09 PM
I don't think they are literally saying call them Pirates but to define the word terrorist first. We still have not defined what a terrorist is.

We are not comfortable doing so, because such a definition might implicate us.

finnbow
05-04-2016, 07:06 AM

This sounds like the silly GOP claim that all we have to do to beat ISIS is call them radical Islamic terrorists and they'll just wither up and die.

VanishingPoi
05-04-2016, 09:03 AM
We are not comfortable doing so, because such a definition might implicate us.

You got that right or they might be romanticized as if they already are not.

VanishingPoi
05-04-2016, 09:06 AM
This sounds like the silly GOP claim that all we have to do to beat ISIS is call them radical Islamic terrorists and they'll just wither up and die.

I don't think you read the article.

finnbow
05-04-2016, 09:25 AM
I don't think you read the article.

I did indeed. I found it to be a good example of navel-gazing.

nailer
05-04-2016, 09:26 AM
To a significant degree the article is a chastisement of people with conflicting interests trying to do the very difficult. It also clearly shows that decisive leadership is lacking. Not sure this is a bad thing.

donquixote99
05-04-2016, 09:44 AM

You should try doing some navel-gazing sometime, Finn. It has it's points.

finnbow
05-04-2016, 09:53 AM
You should try doing some navel-gazing sometime, Finn. It has it's points.

I frequently do, but I don't write lengthy articles about it.

donquixote99
05-04-2016, 09:59 AM
I frequently do, but I don't write lengthy articles about it.

Yeah, it's hard to get other people interested in one's own navel-gazing. It takes a really good singer-songwriter to pull that off.

VanishingPoi
05-04-2016, 08:01 PM

OK, maybe you just didn't understand it in the way that I understood. Fair enough.