PDA

View Full Version : Britain leaving the EU

catswiththum
06-24-2016, 07:19 AM
Prob. prove to be a wise choice in the long term.

Rule Britannia.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/25/article-0-02DFB2830000044D-514_468x387.jpg

merrylander
06-24-2016, 07:55 AM
I suspect they will not be the only ones.

donquixote99
06-24-2016, 10:51 AM
It was a decision made on just the sort of cultural sentiment your pic reflects, Cats.

catswiththum
06-25-2016, 09:34 AM
It was a decision made on just the sort of cultural sentiment your pic reflects, Cats.

Well, that illustration depicts Agincourt - the 1415 outnumbered English victory over the French. I don't expect the English and French to go at it again any time soon, but you never know.

The English like being English, the French like being French. Their history, language, and culture make them who they are. I get it.

The EU was an economic idea that morphed into growing bureaucratic control of more than the English wanted to accept. All good - they will maintain trade and security agreements with Europe - on their terms.

donquixote99
06-25-2016, 10:12 AM
The average Leave voter was sold a bill of good that included a return to local prosperity involving fewer foreign workers around taking jobs, and a bunch of money going to NHS benefits for them, and not to the Brussels gang. Both promises have already been yanked back. Don't think it's going to be 'all good.'

catswiththum
06-25-2016, 10:16 AM
The average Leave voter was sold a bill of good that included a return to local prosperity involving fewer foreign workers around taking jobs, and a bunch of money going to NHS benefits for them, and not to the Brussels gang. Both promises have already been yanked back. Don't think it's going to be 'all good.'

We shall see. Their country, they can do what they like. I hope it works out for the best.

The English are a resilient lot.

Dondilion
06-25-2016, 10:19 AM
The EU was an economic idea that morphed into growing bureaucratic control of more than the English wanted to accept. All good - they will maintain trade and security agreements with Europe - on their terms.

Correct for most part but I do not know for "on their terms".

The Germans I think would want to make an example of Britain because they fear nations like Holland might want to emulate Britain.

One of reasons for the 1204 expansion of EU was to draw certain countries away from the Russian sphere. However this ended up destabilizing countries such as Britain. The big difference in wages and living standards created a stampede from the Baltics and Poland especially to Britain.

This cause depressed wages, pressure on housing resulting in resentment from British locals.

The Dutch probably observe the negatives of that type of expansion - bringing in huge mass of people from countries with marked lower wages - and sent a message to the EU bureaucrats re Ukrainian entry.

finnbow
06-25-2016, 10:22 AM
Correct for most part but I do not know for "on their terms".

The Germans I think would want to make an example of Britain because they fear nations like Holland might want to emulate Britain.

One of reasons for the 1204 expansion of EU was to draw certain countries away from the Russian sphere. However this ended up destabilizing countries such as Britain. The big difference in wages and living standards created a stampede from the Baltics and Poland especially to Britain.

This cause depressed wages, pressure on housing resulting in resentment from British locals.

The Dutch probably observe the negatives of that type of expansion - bringing in huge mass of people from countries with marked lower wages - and sent a message to the EU bureaucrats re Ukrainian entry.

I think continental Europe views the EU in both security and economic terms, whereas England views it more in strictly economic terms.

catswiththum
06-25-2016, 10:23 AM
Well, it will work out. People that want to buy, sell, do business aren't going to sit around wringing their hands. They will get on with it.

Boreas
06-25-2016, 10:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgKHSNqxa8

finnbow
06-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Well, it will work out. People that want to buy, sell, do business aren't going to sit around wringing their hands. They will get on with it.

We'll see if London remains the financial center of the EU when it no longer belongs.

catswiththum
06-25-2016, 10:39 AM
We'll see if London remains the financial center of the EU when it no longer belongs.

I thought about that, too. Berlin the obvious successor as far as the EU - the London financial firms have such a worldwide scope and infrastructure in place I believe they will continue to be a major force.

finnbow
06-25-2016, 10:44 AM
I thought about that, too. Berlin the obvious successor as far as the EU - the London financial firms have such a worldwide scope and infrastructure in place I believe they will continue to be a major force.

At the moment, Frankfurt is the biggest financial center in continental Europe. It'll be interesting to see what happens from here on out. The rest of the EU may not be too happy about giving Germany more say within the EU than they already have.

catswiththum
06-25-2016, 10:47 AM
I also think once the dust settles the British Pound will regain it's status as a favorite currency - perhaps even more so. Although Britain never adopted the Euro, I think it is possible Sterling may eventually be viewed more favorably and perceived as free from euro-zone upheavals (Balkan debt relief, etc.) and slow monetary policy.

catswiththum
06-25-2016, 10:50 AM
At the moment, Frankfurt is the biggest financial center in continental Europe. It'll be interesting to see what happens from here on out. The rest of the EU may not be too happy about giving Germany more say within the EU than they already have.

Well, Germany has done the work. If the French, Dutch, Spanish, etc. want to be top dog they need to get their noses to the grindstone.

merrylander
06-25-2016, 12:31 PM

Ah so, then will the LIBOR become the FIBOR?:)

finnbow
06-25-2016, 04:12 PM
I also think once the dust settles the British Pound will regain it's status as a favorite currency - perhaps even more so. Although Britain never adopted the Euro, I think it is possible Sterling may eventually be viewed more favorably and perceived as free from euro-zone upheavals (Balkan debt relief, etc.) and slow monetary policy.

Definitely possible, akin to the Swiss Franc. However, the relative strength of both currencies (until the Pound's recent drop) make both places insanely expensive. I was in London for 4-5 days in September. Great fun as always, but crazy expensive for food, drink and lodging. Switzerland has been that way for decades.

Tom Joad
06-25-2016, 04:54 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/25/brexit-vote-poor-elite?CMP=fb_gu

“A large constituency of working-class voters feel that not only has the economy left them behind, but so has the culture,” the American political philosopher Michael Sandel said in a recent interview. “The sources of their dignity, the dignity of labour, have been eroded and mocked by … globalisation, the rise of finance, the attention that is lavished by parties across the political spectrum on economic and financial elites, [and] the technocratic emphasis of the established political parties.” A lot of the energy animating Brexit, said Sandel, had been “born of this failure of elites”.

As a journalist working in the 1960s and 1970s, I grew used to the story of the factory closure, but only in the 1980s did these apparently random events accumulate to become known by a word, deindustrialisation, that implied a process governments either couldn’t stop, chose not to stop, or took steps to encourage.

The effects across large parts of Britain were spectacular. The big industrial cities had stored up enough capital in terms of public institutions and professional jobs to survive and sometimes prosper as regional capitals. But their hinterlands – the settlements strung along smoky valleys and perched on the oily river’s edge – began to look as abandoned as goldrush towns.

more (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/25/brexit-vote-poor-elite?CMP=fb_gu)

finnbow
06-25-2016, 05:54 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/25/brexit-vote-poor-elite?CMP=fb_gu

more (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/25/brexit-vote-poor-elite?CMP=fb_gu)

Polls showed that areas that had the most to lose and the least to gain from leaving the European Union were the places where the referendum saw the most support.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/25/why-people-who-really-wanted-brexit-will-regret-it-most/

Just like Trump supporters. Their racism and xenophobia draws them to a party and its candidate, though it is against their own best interests. Talk radio in the US and tabloids in the UK have a lot of influence on the "poorly educated" (Trump's self-stated constituency).

Rajoo
06-25-2016, 06:51 PM
http://www.politicalchat.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=320724

catswiththum
06-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Definitely possible, akin to the Swiss Franc. However, the relative strength of both currencies (until the Pound's recent drop) make both places insanely expensive. I was in London for 4-5 days in September. Great fun as always, but crazy expensive for food, drink and lodging. Switzerland has been that way for decades.

If another country leaves the EU and the pound tanks a few more points, I'm going to buy some.

merrylander
06-26-2016, 06:48 AM
If another country leaves the EU and the pound tanks a few more points, I'm going to buy some.

Then keep an eye on the Dutch. Plus I really must get in touch with my British cousins to get a real perspective on what is going on. All these Chicken Little talking heads are simply in the entertainment business trying to boost their paper/chhannel ratings.

catswiththum
06-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Then keep an eye on the Dutch. Plus I really must get in touch with my British cousins to get a real perspective on what is going on. All these Chicken Little talking heads are simply in the entertainment business trying to boost their paper/chhannel ratings.

I talked to my cousins in Leicester - they seem to think it's all much ado about nothing. My great Uncle remembers the blitz, so he thinks everyone is a pansy.:D

I think Britain will eventually work out a Norway style relationship with the EU.

Scotland will be fun to watch.

I'm thinking no one else will bail, though.

noonereal
06-26-2016, 08:03 AM

No surprise. The world is not ending. Imagine that.

nailer
06-26-2016, 08:37 AM
I think continental Europe views the EU in both security and economic terms, whereas England views it more in strictly economic terms.

British security is spelled US.

nailer
06-26-2016, 08:39 AM
No surprise. The world is not ending. Imagine that.

We're still melting.

Dondilion
06-26-2016, 09:43 AM
British security is spelled US.

I was Listening to some talkers on the BBC and only person who seems to be talking honestly was a guy name JOHN HILLARY.

He said Britain was hollowed out and spent little in trying to rebuild its infrastructure and installing manufacturing capability.

His report was shocking given Britain posturing on the world scene.

catswiththum
06-26-2016, 09:57 AM
Britain posturing on the world scene.

Examples? Every country sends it's reps in front of the media to posture, bluster, pooh-pooh the other guys, huff and puff, and sabre-rattle. They call it foreign relations.

Boreas
06-26-2016, 10:02 AM

At this point it's all predictive. Nothing is going on yet. Give it a year at least.

Boreas
06-26-2016, 10:04 AM
I was Listening to some talkers on the BBC and only person who seems to be talking honestly was a guy name JOHN HILLARY.

He said Britain was hollowed out and spent little in trying to rebuild its infrastructure and installing manufacturing capability.

His report was shocking given Britain posturing on the world scene.

In those respects Britain is a hell of a lot better off than we are.