PDA

View Full Version : Census warning.

piece-itpete
03-25-2010, 11:41 AM
This happened to my coworker:

I don’t want to create panic, just to share a bit of my experience lately. Recently I got in the mail a “Census “form. It asked so many questions, starting with SSN all the way to the value of my house, etc. I am a very private person so I was not going to answer all those ridiculous questions. Plus, I thought they were irrelevant to the purpose of the census which is to count all citizens and classify them in demographic groups. So I threw out the forms, kind of mad that the government dares to ask me those questions (they already have all our info, no?). I don’t even give out my SSN to my doctors’ office, and so far no one was able to force me to.

Well, last night I was watching the news and turns out that my forms were FAKE! There are a lot of Census scams out there. I am obviously glad that I did not fall for it, but also now I kick myself for destroying the papers, I would have liked to report the scam somewhere.

Today I got a chance to see a real census form at a coworker and it looks very similar to the fake I received, only fewer questions and the fake is on white paper, while the real form has some blue headings on it. So beware; there are resources online about what questions are asked, etc.

Also:

If someone comes knocking on the door for Census info (they will start knocking no earlier than May if you did not fill in the questionnaire):

· The census taker must present an ID that has a Department of Commerce watermark and expiration date. Ask for a second ID form.

· Don’t let them in the house.

· Ask the census taker for supervisor contact information and/or the local census office phone number for verification.

· A real census taker will not ask you for your Social Security number, bank account number, credit card number or any other personal financial information.

· A real census taker will never ask for donations and will never contact you by e-mail.

If you think that you have received a scam census form by mail, contact your local postal inspector.

.-.-.-.-.-.

This public service announcement brought to you by the fine folks at etc, etc...

Pete

JJIII
03-25-2010, 11:44 AM
To paraphrase.... "There is a crook born every minute!" :mad:

d-ray657
03-25-2010, 01:27 PM
This happened to my coworker:

I don’t want to create panic, just to share a bit of my experience lately. Recently I got in the mail a “Census “form. It asked so many questions, starting with SSN all the way to the value of my house, etc. I am a very private person so I was not going to answer all those ridiculous questions. Plus, I thought they were irrelevant to the purpose of the census which is to count all citizens and classify them in demographic groups. So I threw out the forms, kind of mad that the government dares to ask me those questions (they already have all our info, no?). I don’t even give out my SSN to my doctors’ office, and so far no one was able to force me to.

Well, last night I was watching the news and turns out that my forms were FAKE! There are a lot of Census scams out there. I am obviously glad that I did not fall for it, but also now I kick myself for destroying the papers, I would have liked to report the scam somewhere.

Today I got a chance to see a real census form at a coworker and it looks very similar to the fake I received, only fewer questions and the fake is on white paper, while the real form has some blue headings on it. So beware; there are resources online about what questions are asked, etc.

Also:

If someone comes knocking on the door for Census info (they will start knocking no earlier than May if you did not fill in the questionnaire):

· The census taker must present an ID that has a Department of Commerce watermark and expiration date. Ask for a second ID form.

· Don’t let them in the house.

· Ask the census taker for supervisor contact information and/or the local census office phone number for verification.

· A real census taker will not ask you for your Social Security number, bank account number, credit card number or any other personal financial information.

· A real census taker will never ask for donations and will never contact you by e-mail.

If you think that you have received a scam census form by mail, contact your local postal inspector.

.-.-.-.-.-.

This public service announcement brought to you by the fine folks at etc, etc...

Pete

Thanks Pete for taking the time to explain. My wife filled ours out and mailed it before I got a chance to see it. I hope it was legitimate.

Being contrary as I am, I can't help but point out that the government turned out to be less intrusive than you thought.:rolleyes: It is now time for Chas to point out that no good deed goes unpunished. (Actually Pete, I think that you have just about the thickest skin around here, so you can take our best shots.:cool:)

Regards,

D-Ray

piece-itpete
03-25-2010, 01:53 PM
GOP = Elephant hide :D

Fire away! I doubt the girlie throwing lefties can hurt much anyway :p

Pete

d-ray657
03-25-2010, 02:30 PM
GOP = Elephant hide :D

Fire away! I doubt the girlie throwing lefties can hurt much anyway :p

Pete

My kid could throw, but he never quite got pitching down. He would hit at least one batter every game. His pitches ended up sending three kids to the hospital. It was never intentional. In fact the only time I ever wanted him to throw at someone was when the other team was hanging over the plate trying to get hit by curveballs. I told him that a heater in the ribs might break that habit, but he figured he hit enough on his own without doing it on purpose.

The point of my ramble is that he is proud to be here with me on the left, and he doesn't throw like a sissy.;) Wear your batting helmet herr Peter.:D

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
03-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I'll throw my left leaning youngest daughter into the pot. There is not a conservative out there that can out athletic her. Boy or girl.

In fact a year or so ago we showed up at a charity 5k and one of the competitors was wearing a Palin shirt! She turned to me excitedly and said, "look Dad, she's not beating me!"

Charles
03-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks Pete for taking the time to explain. My wife filled ours out and mailed it before I got a chance to see it. I hope it was legitimate.

Being contrary as I am, I can't help but point out that the government turned out to be less intrusive than you thought.:rolleyes: It is now time for Chas to point out that no good deed goes unpunished. (Actually Pete, I think that you have just about the thickest skin around here, so you can take our best shots.:cool:)

Regards,

D-Ray

Use one old, worn out cliche ONE time, and that's all you ever hear about again.

Gawd, you lefties are a myopic bunch!!!

Chas

Charles
03-25-2010, 03:13 PM
I'll throw my left leaning youngest daughter into the pot. There is not a conservative out there that can out athletic her. Boy or girl.

In fact a year or so ago we showed up at a charity 5k and one of the competitors was wearing a Palin shirt! She turned to me excitedly and said, "look Dad, she's not beating me!"

My kid can whoop your kid!!!!

I'm beginning to wonder who's really the kid!!!!!

Chas

noonereal
03-25-2010, 03:18 PM
My kid can whoop your kid!!!!

I'm beginning to wonder who's really the kid!!!!!

Chas

:D I am man.

piece-itpete
03-25-2010, 03:27 PM
It's official - we're all nuts.

Pete

Charles
03-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Pete

Not me, buddy, I'm stark raving insane.

Chas

d-ray657
03-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Pete

Geez, am I gonna have to dog ya for being slow on the uptake too. :p Did it really take you this long to figure this out. :D

Regards,

D-Ray

hillbilly
03-25-2010, 05:51 PM
fergittaboutit

Twodogs
03-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Anybody stupid enough to fall for this trick needs to have their money taken away.

I don't really think that way, I just want to keep up my "prick of mysery" reputation.:D

Charles
03-25-2010, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=Twodogs;24505]Anybody stupid enough to fall for this trick needs to have their money taken away.

I'm still waiting on my reparations check from the Gubbmitt...I lied and told 'em I was black!!! I'm gonna invest it all in them Obama collectors coins!!! I'm gonna be rich!!!

Gotta go, Gilligans on!!!

Chas

piece-itpete
03-26-2010, 07:39 AM
If you've got any cash left after picking up those classy handpainted coins, invest in these:

d-ray657
03-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Anybody stupid enough to fall for this trick needs to have their money taken away.

But I received a letter from this very nice Nigerian gentleman who said he was subcontracting for census bureau trying to find the rightful recipient of this huge inheritance and my name came up. I've sent him my credit card number to pay for the fed ex. package.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow
03-26-2010, 08:14 AM
But I received a letter from this very nice Nigerian gentleman who said he was subcontracting for census bureau trying to find the rightful recipient of this huge inheritance and my name came up. I've sent him my credit card number to pay for the fed ex. package.

Regards,

D-Ray

Some people have all the luck.

piece-itpete
03-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Don't forget us little folks when your ship comes in.

Pete

whoaru99
03-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Yeah, the Government doesn't have to ask for that stuff...they already have it all on file anyway.

noonereal
03-27-2010, 07:10 AM

Regards,

D-Ray

:rolleyes: you let us know how that goes

merrylander
03-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Regards,

D-Ray

Son of as bitch, he promised me that money.;)

whoaru99
04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Today is the deadline. Submit or prepare to be visited...

d-ray657
04-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Today is the deadline. Submit or prepare to be visited...

Oh yes! Whip me again Mistress Divina.:D

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
04-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Oh yes! Whip me again Mistress Divina.:D

Regards,

D-Ray

I like a well applied feather duster myself!!!

Chas

Sandy G
04-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Beat me ! Whip me ! Rape me, make me write Bad Checks !!!