PDA

View Full Version : Bipartisan Gardening

Wasillaguy
07-20-2016, 12:35 AM
Reaching across the aisle, the greenhouse aisle that is.
Bought some new seed this year called Pink Berkley Tie Dye.
Supposed to be a beefsteak variety, and this guy is the first one ripe. Had the potential to grow into a monster, but I think it started too early, before I had transplanted up to a bigger pot.
Sure is pretty though.

d-ray657
07-20-2016, 07:24 AM
Reaching across the aisle, the greenhouse aisle that is.
Bought some new seed this year called Pink Berkley Tie Dye.
Supposed to be a beefsteak variety, and this guy is the first one ripe. Had the potential to grow into a monster, but I think it started too early, before I had transplanted up to a bigger pot.
Sure is pretty though.

Cool. It looks like the shar pei of the vegetable world. What's the growing season up there?

finnbow
07-20-2016, 07:34 AM
In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.;)

nailer
07-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Aren't you the guy who likes to watch?

finnbow
07-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Aren't you the guy who likes to watch?

Indeed.

Wasillaguy
07-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Cool. It looks like the shar pei of the vegetable world. What's the growing season up there?

The rule is not to plant anything outside until Memorial Day, though the last few years we've been able to cheat that by a week or two. In my experience, you don't gain much by starting early though. If the soil is still cold, the plants just sit there stunned anyway.
The greenhouse of course expands the growing season. The more you're willing to spend heating it, the earlier you can get going. I start 8-10 varieties of tomatoes in the house in early February, and by mid-April move them to the greenhouse.
Also in the greenhouse- peppers, cukes, tomatillos, corn, basil, and squash.

Outside we have all the other herbs, potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, peas, carrots, beans, broccoli, kale, lettuce, strawberries, raspberries, currants, watermelon berry, and high bush cranberry.

By October we'll have it all harvested and cleaned up and ready for snow.