PDA

View Full Version : A New Museum On The Mall

bobabode
09-24-2016, 02:56 PM
‘This place is more than a building. It is a dream come true.’
- Rep. John Lewis

"In a speech filled with reminders of America’s dark and not-so-distant past, and hopes for a brighter future, President Obama helped to inaugurate the National Museum of African American History and Culture today in Washington.
The country’s first black chief executive stood before a crowd of more than 7,000 official guests — and thousands more gathered on the National Mall — and repeated the words of poet Langston Hughes: “I, too, am America.”
“African American history is not somehow separate than the American story. It is not the underside of the American story. It is central to the American story,” Obama said.
Behind him, the 400,000 square-foot museum stood as a testament to that notion. Serving as home to more than 36,000 artifacts, the museum exists to both memorialize and educate, sharing the “unvarnished truth” of America’s past and celebrating the triumphs of its present." WaPo

Continued here - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/09/24/african-american-museum-opening-a-historic-day-on-the-national-mall/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_museum-ledeall-10am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

I'd love to see it, maybe next springtime when the cherry trees are in bloom.
Who knows...

finnbow
09-24-2016, 07:51 PM
I'll be going in a couple of weeks once the crowds calm down a bit. Should be awesome. FWIW, I'm underwhelmed by the relatively new National Museum of the American Indian. Great architecture, but could use better curation IMO.

Oerets
09-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Also plan on doing a trip to DC in the spring and hopefully the crowds will be less intensive.

Barney

BlueStreak
09-25-2016, 12:47 AM
I was in DC back in July.

It wasn't open yet, but I saw that place. It's ugly as hell, an eyesore, really.

But, I fully intend to visit it when I go back next year. Should be interesting.

JJIII
09-25-2016, 06:57 AM
I'll be going in a couple of weeks once the crowds calm down a bit. Should be awesome. FWIW, I'm underwhelmed by the relatively new National Museum of the American Indian. Great architecture, but could use better curation IMO.

That has been the Indian's problem ever since the white man showed up. :(

Denier
11-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Beware if you go there. You might get robbed.

Denier
11-11-2016, 05:21 PM
The Ku Klux Klan was formed by Demokkkrats.