PDA

View Full Version : Slippery Slope: Span

ebacon
10-19-2016, 09:46 PM
As I ponder our political discussion I can not help to reflect on how we drowned in data.

Our newest students might come from the school of frequency. They have the luxury of bandwidth.

What I ponder is the forgotten value of gain, aka span. That discussion is near the end of party. Span smells.

Dondilion
10-20-2016, 06:34 AM
As I ponder our political discussion I can not help to reflect on how we drowned in data.

Our newest students might come from the school of frequency. They have the luxury of bandwidth.

What I ponder is the forgotten value of gain, aka span. That discussion is near the end of party. Span smells.

I am trying to get an idea of what you are trying to say. So far I have failed. :confused:

JJIII
10-20-2016, 07:32 AM

I want some of what he is having. :)

Boreas
10-20-2016, 08:41 AM
I want some of what he is having. :)

Are you sure?

JJIII
10-20-2016, 08:56 AM
Are you sure?

Ha!

Point taken. :)

Pio1980
10-20-2016, 10:22 AM

Information overload vs depth of substance?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ebacon
10-27-2016, 08:08 PM
Information overload vs depth of substance?

That might be a good characterization of what I am trying to get at.

The day I wrote I was trying to digest the value of making mountains of molehills. We all do it. So why do we do it? Why did nature program us this way? It must serve a function.

The word "span", as I used it, refers to how big a signal an instrument can record. Old scientists therefore had to choose from the beginning whether they would look at mountains or mole hills. Both were interesting, but each scientist had to pick one.

Advancements in measuring, in particular big data, seem to have shifted focus to mountains. In that context it is the mountains that get attention -- the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Macroeconomics.

But as we argue politics it seems that we are really arguing about mole hills. We are trying to communicate our local frustrations, such as water drainage, store closures, drifting odors, etc, to a national audience. Nobody in the audience really gives a damn about anyone else's mole hills.

I am having a mole hill appreciation moment. :D