PDA

View Full Version : I hope pcchat can be better than other political sites.

JCricket
11-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Hey Folks,
Deep breath and sigh............................

This is(was) the only political site I have ever been on that had at least a smattering of decency and information. With the current state of affairs, levels of frustration and fears, things have taken a nose dive. At one time we had a few resident trolls, but most people would continue to post ideas and have productive discussions. I still see some of that, but I also see a lot of "your this, but what am I " insult posts.

Here is a challenge for all of us, stating at midnight tonight, no one posts a single name calling, insulting, condescending post until midnight tomorrow. 24 hours of consideration and respect, possible?
I hope so.

best of luck to us....................

Rajoo
11-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Politics and Religion are devised to divide people. So good luck.

Pio1980
11-19-2016, 12:09 PM
There are folks who play the troll, or are provoked to react to trolling that foul the discourse of ideas.
It's not that much fun for folks who are here to get a broader interaction of ideas and perceptions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

JCricket
11-19-2016, 12:14 PM
There are folks who play the troll, or are provoked to react to trolling that foul the discourse of ideas.
It's not that much fun for folks who are here to get a broader interaction of ideas and perceptions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The reason i come here is to get insightful, intelligent feedback on ideas.

Maybe we do my suggestion tomorrow and next weekend we do the opposite. From Sunday 12:00 am to Monday 12:00 am we can only post if we include and insult or condescending remark with the post................

This might actually be challenging and fun

JCricket
11-19-2016, 12:16 PM
Politics and Religion are devised to divide people. So good luck.

I disagree. They were devised as tools to control people. If division is a by product of them, andit works to control people, then the controllers are happy. But I don't think it was the primary purpose of either.

bobabode
11-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Sounds good to me.

nailer
11-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Talking politics or religion in an open forum is going to be contentious.

HarmanKardon
11-19-2016, 12:41 PM
As far as this forum does not get contaminated by the current so popular American hitlerism, as far as this forum remains a place of different opinions on the basis of democratic values, I will stay in here.

Rajoo
11-19-2016, 12:46 PM
I disagree. They were devised as tools to control people. If division is a by product of them, andit works to control people, then the controllers are happy. But I don't think it was the primary purpose of either.

You may. :)

My earlier comment was based on the 'divide, conquer and rule' which an age old strategy. When was the last time you have seen political parties or religious factions merge?

nailer
11-19-2016, 12:58 PM
You may. :)

My earlier comment was based on the 'divide, conquer and rule' which an age old strategy. When was the last time you have seen political parties or religious factions merge?

For US it was probably prior to the Civil War for major parties. After the Civil War the slave/free split of the Methodists took decades to mend.

68custom
11-19-2016, 01:00 PM
sounds good to me, I really try to avoid name calling except for Drumph (OOPS)!

donquixote99
11-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Hey Folks,
Deep breath and sigh............................

This is(was) the only political site I have ever been on that had at least a smattering of decency and information. With the current state of affairs, levels of frustration and fears, things have taken a nose dive. At one time we had a few resident trolls, but most people would continue to post ideas and have productive discussions. I still see some of that, but I also see a lot of "your this, but what am I " insult posts.

Here is a challenge for all of us, stating at midnight tonight, no one posts a single name calling, insulting, condescending post until midnight tomorrow. 24 hours of consideration and respect, possible?
I hope so.

best of luck to us....................

This is better than most political sites you can find, but that's a very low bar.

Onbaord with challenge. Ignore my last previous post.... :)

Tom Joad
11-19-2016, 05:02 PM
I'm in. I can do 24 hours standing on my head. :D

Don't expect too much to change long term.

Even on the strictest moderated boards 24 hours is about the limit any crackdown on this sort of thing will last before the system starts to be gamed and the insults start flying surreptitiously through the use of snarky innuendos.

JCricket
11-19-2016, 07:57 PM
starts at 12:00 am eastern.

Rajoo
11-19-2016, 08:04 PM
In order to be fair to those on the Left Coast, it should start at 3:00 AM Eastern time. :)

donquixote99
11-19-2016, 08:43 PM
Hmmm...I'd better check the rules again.

Done. No name-calling, insulting, or being condescending.

First two no sweat, but the third may be tricky....

JCricket
11-19-2016, 08:58 PM
In order to be fair to those on the Left Coast, it should start at 3:00 AM Eastern time. :)

So be it: 3:00 eastern time

JCricket
11-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Hmmm...I'd better check the rules again.

Done. No name-calling, insulting, or being condescending.

First two no sweat, but the third may be tricky....

I guess I should say that it counts even if the other guy doesn't get it.;)

donquixote99
11-19-2016, 09:21 PM
And there's the type B error, getting it when it's not there.... :o

JCricket
11-19-2016, 09:39 PM
And there's the type B error, getting it when it's not there.... :o

For a very long time my wife thought I was really smart. She finally figured out she was the one making sense out of nothing. :D

She still loves me though. I am incredibly lucky to have her.

merrylander
11-20-2016, 07:22 AM

You are right it was not their primary purpose but most anything they can be debased to serve the needs of control freaks.

merrylander
11-20-2016, 07:23 AM
Talking politics or religion in an open forum is going to be contentious.

But it need not be assuming that we are all adults.

merrylander
11-20-2016, 07:27 AM
But there is where it went wrong. He did not ask us to build Him giant edifices to be used so rarely. In fact He once said that 'wherever two or three are gathered together in my name there shall I be also.' No requirement to build a cathedral stipulated.

So if we start at 3:00AM EST I guess we end 12 hours later?

JCricket
11-20-2016, 08:29 AM
But there is where it went wrong. He did not ask us to build Him giant edifices to be used so rarely. In fact He once said that 'wherever two or three are gathered together in my name there shall I be also.' No requirement to build a cathedral stipulated.

So if we start at 3:00AM EST I guess we end 12 hours later?

My idea was 24 hours. So 3:00 am Monday will be the end time.

nailer
11-20-2016, 11:16 AM
But it need not be assuming that we are all adults.

As if. :D

Tom Joad
11-20-2016, 10:02 PM
I'm going to re-enlist for another 24 hours.:)

JCricket
11-20-2016, 10:55 PM
I'm going to re-enlist for another 24 hours.:)

I'll follow suit too. You did good!!!!
mark

Rajoo
11-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Better to sin and repent than forced abstinence for me. This just does not seem normal.

Tom Joad
11-21-2016, 07:38 AM
Better to sin and repent than forced abstinence for me. This just does not seem normal.

I'm just taking it one day at a time.

And I'm making a payback list as I go along. :D

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/billy-madison-steve-buscemi-kill-list.jpg (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/billy-madison-steve-buscemi-kill-list.jpg.html)

merrylander
11-21-2016, 09:50 AM

Are you suggesting that being insulting is normal behavior?:)

Rajoo
11-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Are you suggesting that being insulting is normal behavior?:)
No, but forced manners is unnatural and boring. :)

donquixote99
11-21-2016, 11:09 AM

It's what comes after the 'but' that counts. You are arguing against civility.

Tom Joad
11-21-2016, 11:11 AM

It is boring isn't it?

But we're into the Holiday season now.

As a retired government worker I can tell you that not a helluva lot happens or gets done in government between now and after New Years. So there won't be much to discuss as far as political stuff except to rehash old shit. So it was going to be boring anyway for the at least the next 6 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KuH_RxUNE

Rajoo
11-21-2016, 11:26 AM
It's what comes after the 'but' that counts. You are arguing against civility.

A 24 hour exercise in civility is just that, an exercise. What happens afterward when the exercise is over? The lid comes off and it's business as usual and more. Behavior moderation is done over a period of time and when people truly want and wish to change.

donquixote99
11-21-2016, 11:50 AM
The point of the exercise, IMHO, was not to wave a magic wand and everyone becomes nice. The point was to nonetheless do an attitude check and try to be more nice, going forward, affirming the value of civility.

Rajoo
11-21-2016, 12:22 PM
I do not agree with the title of this thread, having visited very many other political sites. Here we have a very small group of people speaking our minds and now for us to practice 'civility', one has to admit that we have been uncivil. I cannot do that.

donquixote99
11-21-2016, 12:34 PM
No public confession is called-for, you don't have to admit anything to take on civility as a goal going forward.

I get the definite impression that you just don't like civility as a goal. Is that the case?

Rajoo
11-21-2016, 01:35 PM
No public confession is called-for, you don't have to admit anything to take on civility as a goal going forward.

I get the definite impression that you just don't like civility as a goal. Is that the case?

You have a way of reading into others posts to fit your own agenda and/or belief system. The point I made was that a bi-annual exercise is civility is meaningless.

donquixote99
11-21-2016, 04:01 PM
You have a way of reading into others posts to fit your own agenda and/or belief system. The point I made was that a bi-annual exercise is civility is meaningless.

I reported my impression as my impression, and invited you to confirm or not as you wished. Which contrasts with the way you have offered your assessment of me.

But thank-you for your opinions.

Rajoo
11-21-2016, 04:45 PM
'Definite impression' is not reporting, its an assessment.
It's like "my mind is made up, go ahead and prove otherwise".
In fact, why are we even having this argument?

donquixote99
11-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Because you came onto this thread and expressed the opinion that you disagreed with this attempt to promote civility. I've just been trying to explore with you exactly what you disagree with. I think civility is good stuff, and I favor more of it.

Rajoo
11-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Because you came onto this thread and expressed the opinion that you disagreed with this attempt to promote civility. I've just been trying to explore with you exactly what you disagree with. I think civility is good stuff, and I favor more of it.

And I think a 24 hour experiment in civility is meaningless and has nothing to do with what I believe of civility. I will now take of leave this thread.

JCricket
11-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Hey Folks,
I appreciate all who participated. I was hoping it might show some folks a different side of all of the participants. I certainly can say I saw a different side. I can also say I understood a little more about what folks were talking about, expressing their opinions.

For those of you who did participate, thank you.

For you cranky old buzzards, well, good luck getting your points across.

Tom Joad
11-27-2016, 06:25 PM
I'm signing up for another 72 hours of cease fire, at least from my end, starting midnight tonight on my local time which is Central standard. That will get me though the rest of the month of November. Being the only Communist for Trump and having to fight off enemies from all points of the compass has got me plum wore out.

Boreas
11-27-2016, 07:35 PM
I'm signing up for another 72 hours of cease fire, at least from my end, starting midnight tonight on my local time which is Central standard. That will get me though the rest of the month of November. Being the only Communist for Trump and having to fight off enemies from all points of the compass has got me plum wore out.

I dunno. There's Putin.

icenine
11-27-2016, 07:37 PM
In politics nothing is contemptible.

Benjamin Disraeli

icenine
11-27-2016, 07:37 PM
I protest this decency run amok at politicalchat.org.

icenine
11-27-2016, 07:39 PM
William Gladstone has not a single redeeming defect.

Benjamin Disraeli, a long time ago

icenine
11-27-2016, 07:40 PM
Donald Trump has not a single redeeming effect.

Icenine, 2016

JCricket
12-22-2016, 10:38 AM
I protest this decency run amok at politicalchat.org.

I appreciate your civil and decent protest. :D

MrPots
12-22-2016, 11:24 AM
I do not agree with the title of this thread, having visited very many other political sites. Here we have a very small group of people speaking our minds and now for us to practice 'civility', one has to admit that we have been uncivil. I cannot do that.

What? You cannot speak your mind and be civil at the same time?

Rajoo
12-22-2016, 11:34 AM
What? You cannot speak your mind and be civil at the same time?

Not my point, people are either civil or they are not. A 24 hour moratorium is a dumb idea. Look how successful all those ceasefires have been.

Was I civil is expressing this opinion in your opinion? :)

HarmanKardon
09-27-2018, 12:46 PM
What has happened to this forum? It seems to be almost dead. It is a pity.

I also reduced my participation here in the last months and years since politicalchat has turned into trumpchat.

It is how it is. I miss the conversation, the political exchange with you intellectual Americans. But I can't stand the quantity of Trump in this forum anymore.

Maybe one day PC will become again the place it was back then - when I joined it in 2013.

Chris

finnbow
09-27-2018, 01:11 PM

I also reduced my participation here in the last months and years since politicalchat has turned into trumpchat.

It is how it is. I miss the conversation, the political exchange with you intellectual Americans. But I can't stand the quantity of Trump in this forum anymore.

Maybe one day PC will become again the place it was back then - when I joined it in 2013.

Chris

I think it has to do with the fact with nobody here is willing to defend the vile Dotard and his ridiculous antics. Accordingly, many here are tired of preaching to the choir.

donquixote99
09-27-2018, 02:06 PM

Chris

PC will become whatever the participants may make it. You are one as much as anyone....

If you have topics you'd like to discuss, it's no use waiting for others to get around around to it. Start a thread or two!

HarmanKardon
09-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Your reply is very much appreciated, Sir.

JJIII
10-04-2018, 09:17 AM
]What has happened to this forum? It seems to be almost dead. It is a pity. [/B]

Chris

I think it got buried under a mountain of chicken manure.

Pio1980
10-04-2018, 09:55 AM
I think it has to do with the fact with nobody here is willing to defend the vile Dotard and his ridiculous antics. Accordingly, many here are tired of preaching to the choir.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/bz-panel-12-04-12.jpg

bobabode
10-04-2018, 06:44 PM
I think it got buried under a mountain of chicken manure.

Really? :rolleyes:

barbara
10-04-2018, 11:29 PM
I think there is just an ebb and flow to all things in life including PoliticalChat.

Personally, I’ve just been tired of hearing about Trump. I’m burned out on daily scandals.
And, I’ve just been busy lately as I’ve recovered from surgery and enjoying retirement.

JCricket
10-05-2018, 01:51 AM

Chris
I think part of the problem was a lack of respect being shown to each other. People are so divided by their ideals and beliefs, they forget to value the person stating them. It is a jackass way to live, it drives everyone away from you. And yes I am guilty of this as times. I found it got really bad here after the last few visits, so I left. The division and hate in the current political realm is unbelievably destructive. I hope we can all step back and re-unite, retake our country instead of fighting among ourselves.

donquixote99
10-05-2018, 06:10 AM
I think there is just an ebb and flow to all things in life including PoliticalChat.

Personally, I’ve just been tired of hearing about Trump. I’m burned out on daily scandals.
And, I’ve just been busy lately as I’ve recovered from surgery and are enjoying retirement.
Glad to hear those last bits--carry on!

donquixote99
10-05-2018, 06:26 AM
I think part of the problem was a lack of respect being shown to each other. People are so divided by their ideals and beliefs, they forget to value the person stating them. It is a jackass way to live, it drives everyone away from you. And yes I am guilty of this as times. I found it got really bad here after the last few visits, so I left. The division and hate in the current political realm is unbelievably destructive. I hope we can all step back and re-unite, retake our country instead of fighting among ourselves.

But even saying "retake our country' implies fighting, not unity.

'Just folks' can be the reunited with once the cruel people are no longer in charge, polluting everyone with their evil. But real recovery will take a while. Bad habits of thought, once awoken in susceptible people, don't just vanish overnight.

JJIII
10-05-2018, 06:26 AM
i think part of the problem was a lack of respect being shown to each other. People are so divided by their ideals and beliefs, they forget to value the person stating them. It is a jackass way to live, it drives everyone away from you. And yes i am guilty of this as times. I found it got really bad here after the last few visits, so i left. The division and hate in the current political realm is unbelievably destructive. I hope we can all step back and re-unite, retake our country instead of fighting among ourselves.

Bam!

donquixote99
10-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Bam!

What I get from this and the 'chickenshit' post: what whell had to say generally didn't bother you, and you HATED seeing lots of people bash him a lot.

Please tell me if these two things are true in your view?

JJIII
10-05-2018, 07:25 AM
Whell expressed his opinion, as was his right. Whether or not I agree or disagree with him is of no consequence. The persistent personal attacks and name calling are what I complain about, and have complained about from the start.

The nastiness does not, in my opinion, contribute to the conversation in any meaningful way. I will go so far as to say that it has lead to a lot of good people taking a look around here and deciding they want no part of PC.

So, yeah. You've got it right.

Thanks for asking.

donquixote99
10-05-2018, 07:53 AM
Whell did not simply 'state his opinion,' as no one disputes would have been his right. He operated as an aggressive and purposefully-obnoxious troll. For some reason you are unable to discern this, or unable to regard it as important.

In any case, based on your report of how you and others disliked the fights with whell, which I completely believe, my conclusion is that because whell deliberately provoked and fomented the response he got, he basically wrecked this forum.

JJIII
10-05-2018, 08:00 AM
We will have to agree to disagree.

Chicks
10-05-2018, 08:51 AM
good people

Where have we heard that phrase before? :rolleyes:

Pio1980
10-05-2018, 09:37 AM

And, I’ve just been busy lately as I’ve recovered from surgery and enjoying retirement.

Truely, it is exhausting and exasperating.
A good part of the point of the daily Trumpian circus is to wear down and exasperate opposition. Venting here out of exasperation is somewhat cathartic and to be expected, tho' debate on some productive level should be possible.

JJIII
10-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Where have we heard that phrase before? :rolleyes:

Why don't you tell me what I meant?:rolleyes:

donquixote99
10-05-2018, 11:50 AM
We will have to agree to disagree.

Which you and I can do, with no need to be disagreeable.

Thing is, this works in some cases, and doesn't in others. That is, some 'good people' are more agreeable than others.

JJIII
10-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Which you and I can do, with no need to be disagreeable.

Thing is, this works in some cases, and doesn't in others. That is, some 'good people' are more agreeable than others.

You shore got that right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l886uQi6Rhg

:D

The thing is I see some of the worst offenders are able to maintain a sense of propriety on the AK site.
Why can't the same courtesy be extended here?

Pio1980
10-05-2018, 05:24 PM
You shore got that right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l886uQi6Rhg

:D

The thing is I see some of the worst offenders are able to maintain a sense of propriety on the AK site.
Why can't the same courtesy be extended here?

Like I said, venting, for catharsis.

I just don't talk to most folks in person about the Trump thing, and have let some former freindships laps into limbo to avoid hostile confrontations.

Some insight into viewpoint, ideals, and goals could give perspective and hopefully, some understanding.
However, it's difficult to get around the impression that putting a vainglorious incompetent vengeful disenguous toxic narcissist in charge of the fate of the Republic to spite "liberals" was *not* in the best interests of the country at large. Spite, and Judges.

Rajoo
10-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Responding to Post #73: AudioKarma Specific Rule #5:

5. No political, religious, racist, sexist, pornographic or excessively profane content.

Any thoughts on why this rule is enforced on AK?

Pio1980
10-05-2018, 05:36 PM
One Canadian colleague is now persona non grata there for failure to take this over repeatedly making his case for Eurocentric cultural supremacy.

JCricket
10-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Truely, it is exhausting and exasperating.
A good part of the point of the daily Trumpian circus is to wear down and exasperate opposition. Venting here out of exasperation is somewhat cathartic and to be expected, tho' debate on some productive level should be possible.

"Should be expected and demanded of the members" That is what I would think should be a fundamental guiding principle here. Say something productive or nothing, simple as that.

Rajoo
10-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Politics (like religion) is by intent meant to divide and oppose, thus the term opposition party. For someone to be bothered by it is like pissing in the wind.

Can the discussions be more civil? Certainly but cannot be sustained IMO. "I do not like what you are saying and therefore I do not like you" is what happens.

In the end what we are seeking is group think and not necessarily diversity of opinions.

Pio1980
10-13-2018, 09:15 AM
We think we know what "they" think, what might be informative is knowing why "they" think that.

HarmanKardon
04-15-2020, 02:43 PM
This place could become a better one again by

PARTICIPATION -!

I withdrew in the last years because Trump had become almost the only topic in this forum, which is even more tiring for a member who is not an American.

However - the current situation requires an intellectual exchange more than ever. So everybody of the former busy posters who is about reading this - come back (if you may).

Oerets
04-15-2020, 03:00 PM
So how is it over in your corner of the world Chris?

Staying safe and all in this time of uncertainty.

Pio1980
04-15-2020, 04:40 PM
Joke supposedly currently circulating in Germany;
What borders on stupidity?
Canada and Mexico.

Oerets
04-15-2020, 04:42 PM
joke supposedly currently circulating in germany;
what borders on stupidity?
Canada and mexico.

like!;)

bobabode
06-25-2023, 07:12 PM
Seems to be an uptick in profanity laced personal attacks. Personally, I couldn't give a f**k how y'all wish to exercise your First Amendment rights, that you actually don't have here. It just shows a distinct lack of imagination and maturity.

A little self moderation isn't too goddamned much to fecking ask, is it? Assholes, mutter, mutter.

Enough finger wagging from an old Methodist preacher's son and fellow reprobate. Carry on, dipshits.

Ike Bana
08-15-2023, 11:48 AM
Seems to be an uptick in profanity laced personal attacks. Personally, I couldn't give a f**k how y'all wish to exercise your First Amendment rights, that you actually don't have here. It just shows a distinct lack of imagination and maturity.

A little self moderation isn't too goddamned much to fecking ask, is it? Assholes, mutter, mutter.

Enough finger wagging from an old Methodist preacher's son and fellow reprobate. Carry on, dipshits.

Another bit from the script of Inherit The Wind...

Henry Drummond:
I don't swear for the hell of it. Language is a poor enough means of communication. We've got to use all the words we've got.