PDA

View Full Version : Trump Killing Your TV

donquixote99
02-08-2017, 07:05 AM
Funny thing happened last night at Castle Quixote. We had a video service interruption around 9:30 PM. Suddenly, our ISP (AT&T) was not able to deliver Netflix, or PBS, or even ABC or CBS. All the normally 'free' streaming services I tried were out.

Interestingly, HBO worked. I said to myself, 'Hey, I bet the Trump guys have stopped enforcing net neutrality!' And I was right.

New FCC Boss Kills Zero Rating Inquiry, Signals Death Of Net Neutrality Enforcement: https://www.techdirt.com/blog/netneutrality/

Dondilion
02-08-2017, 08:38 AM
This guy, Pai is a tough nut.

Damn, he moves at lightning speed. :(

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/technology/trumps-fcc-quickly-targets-net-neutrality-rules.html?_r=0

Tom Joad
02-08-2017, 08:46 AM
I haven't noticed anything yet. But if Trump fucks with my Netflix or my youtube, I will turn on him like a stepped on snake.:mad:

Dondilion
02-08-2017, 09:15 AM
I haven't noticed anything yet. But if Trump fucks with my Netflix or my youtube, I will turn on him like a stepped on snake.:mad:

My Netflix and Huluplus have been acting up before this Pai had power.

They both take too long to load up.

BTW Pai reads like a rabid one.

Rajoo
02-08-2017, 09:24 AM

It's already happening. AT&T, Comcast and Verizon are writing the new FCC regulations. ;)
Seems to me Netflix and Hulu could be purchased by the three major ISP's soon to stifle net neutrality.
Amazon is a dark horse here and wonder what they will do.

Dondilion
02-08-2017, 09:32 AM
It's already happening. AT&T, Comcast and Verizon are writing the new FCC regulations. ;)

Similar to oil men in the Bush era.

Tom Joad
02-08-2017, 09:58 AM
My Netflix and Huluplus have been acting up before this Pai had power.

They both take too long to load up.

BTW Pai reads like a rabid one.

Well fuck him.

And the elephant he rode in on.

Rajoo
02-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Similar to oil men in the Bush era.

"To the victor goes the spoils', though for now it's hard to see the connection, unless this is the overall 'less regulations' mantra. Coincidentally I switched over to Direct TV (now owned by AT&T) and kept Comcast as ISP. So now all of broadcast TV is off the internet.

whell
02-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Yet another good reason to stick with our trusty rooftop antenna. Haven't had cable TV in this house since 2002.

icenine
02-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Yet another good reason to stick with our trusty rooftop antenna. Haven't had cable TV in this house since 2002.

That is why you are a consistent winner of the Wet Blanket Award Whell.

Tom Joad
02-08-2017, 12:11 PM

I haven't had cable since 1989.

The little one foot square white thing that I hang on the wall gets PBS and a few others. That's more than I need. But I stream off the net a lot. I have no idea if this will impact me.

donquixote99
02-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Netflix will be spotty unless you pay extra, etc. The cost advantage of streaming over cable will be nullified.

Rajoo
02-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Netflix will be spotty unless you pay extra, etc. The cost advantage of streaming over cable will be nullified.

Since internet has been ruled a utility, would they now be targets for class action lawsuits?

merrylander
02-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Think of it this way, the cable feeding me and my neighbors has x amount of bandwidth. if most of them start streaming video where does that leave me? Bandwidth is a finite item.

Tom Joad
02-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Netflix has 49 million subscribers in the US.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/250937/quarterly-number-of-netflix-streaming-subscribers-in-the-us/

I don't think any Politician would dare to piss that many people off.

Netflix is something people care about.

It's a lot different than say starting a foreign war which most Americans don't give a shit about.

Tom Joad
02-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Think of it this way, the cable feeding me and my neighbors has x amount of bandwidth. if most of them start streaming video where does that leave me? Bandwidth is a finite item.

That's the way it is now.

My question is will this deregulation hurt my internet?

Key word being "my".

I don't give a shit what it does to yours. :D

Tom Joad
02-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Watched two movies on netflix yesterday.

No problems.

Also got a letter from ATT yesterday, but it was the usual one that they send me every two weeks or so trying to scam me into buying their TV package at a "low introductory cost of..........."

They usually throw in some kind of gift card or a "free" electronic gadget to try sweeten the bait in the trap.

68custom
02-10-2017, 02:05 PM
people have died to protect net neutrality, hope it stay neutral...

CarlV
02-10-2017, 02:20 PM
I'm OTA for 21 years now. None of that AT&T or Comcast for me.
I tried Dish, the guys show up at 8AM on a Saturday sweating like crazy, not only did they do really bad work along with their Meth, it never did work right so I had to cancel because they wanted to charge me for fixing it right. Jerks.
Then they wanted me to climb on the roof and take something from the dish and mail it to them. I told them they put it there, they can come get it. Jerks.

Carl