PDA

View Full Version : Have a little truth.

BlueStreak
04-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Up until September of 2003, I had what I considered to have been the best job of my life. I made decent money, had the freedom to work on a very diverse range of equipment, and literally learned more every day. I ENJOYED going to work every day.*

To get to the point;

To this day former coworkers blame "Clinton" for the loss of their jobs at the headlamp plant. But the truth is---He had NOTHING to do with it. The only connection is the fact that a Canadian company bought our equipment and contracts---and took everything home with them. That's right. My job went to Windsor, Ontario. Not Mexico, or China,-----Canada. And it had little to nothing to do with NAFTA.

To explain;

In 2000, our CEO in Southfield, Michigan proudly announced a bold expansion initiative he called "B.H.A.G.", Big, Hairy, Audacious, Goal. Under BHAG, upper management would begin the rapid expansion of the company by buying up as many smaller competitors as possible, with the goal being set at 10 billion in sales by 2002. This was done so quickly and carelessly that among the companies aquired were a couple of brake companies who held-----significant asbestos liabilities. The cost of these liabilities reached 3 billion dollars. This cost, coupled with the billions in heavy debt accrued to acheive the BHAG goal drove the company into bankruptcy. THE ROOT CAUSE OF THIS FAILURE IS MANAGERIAL INCOMPETENCE. IT DIDN'T HAVE A FUCKING THING TO DO WITH THE GOVERNMENT, OR PRESIDENT CLINTON.

"But, Dave, your job went to Canada."

That's right. It did. Why?

"If we operate here, we have to pay for employee HEALTH INSURANCE. At anywhere from $300 to $1,000 per month per employee, it's prohibitively expensive. So, I'm sorry but the work goes to Canada." This is what we were all told in a meeting held by the new owners.

But, still. When I reminisce with my best friend, who also used to work there and happens to be my current boss, he grits his teeth, and hisses, "That fucking Clinton....".

I like the guy, he's a good friend and a great boss. But, he's brainwashed.
If he finds bird shit on his car----Obama sent them to do it.

Where do you guys suppose this state of mind might have come from?

My thoughts? See attached photos.

Dave

*(I'm thankfull for my current job, it pays better, has a small degree of security which is invaluable in todays economy, but otherwise sucks. I have little to no freedom in this job, most of the equipment is obsolete, etc., but I truly am thankfull to have it. Both jobs were/are non-union, BTW.)

Charles
04-25-2010, 02:27 PM
It's hard to believe a business plan labeled B.H A.G. could fail. In a way, it almost sounds like bankruptcy WAS the business plan. Wouldn't be the first time.

Chas

merrylander
04-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Company I used to work for was from Canada, but the backers decided tobuy up a similar company in California. Now we used to do $40 million a year while the CA company only did $10 million. However, the backers in their infinite wisdom let the CA company run the combined show. It went belly up in year and a half.

BlueStreak
04-25-2010, 02:39 PM
In a way, it almost sounds like bankruptcy WAS the business plan.
Chas

?:confused:?

Dave

BlueStreak
04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
So, beyond the colossal fuck up in Southfield, why did my job end up in Canada?

Dave

Charles
04-25-2010, 03:17 PM
?:confused:?

Dave

Borrow a bunch of money, buy a bunch of companies, pay yourself a lot of money for being so smart, and cash out your stock options at the right time.

Going belly up isn't so bad if you manage to feather your nest first.

Chas

BlueStreak
04-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Borrow a bunch of money, buy a bunch of companies, pay yourself a lot of money for being so smart, and cash out your stock options at the right time.

Going belly up isn't so bad if you manage to feather your nest first.

Chas

Awesome! Hey, I really admire them for that move! What Great Americans!
We can build a strong, vibrant economy with folks like that at the helm!
We can, can't we?:D

Dave

Grumpy
04-25-2010, 03:29 PM
So, beyond the colossal fuck up in Southfield, why did my job end up in Canada?

Dave

Living near Southfield, I can tell you theres tons of companies such as yours.

Hoping everything works out for you.

BlueStreak
04-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Living near Southfield, I can tell you theres tons of companies such as yours.

Hoping everything works out for you.

Thanks,

I'm doing okay, Grump. As I said I've got a good job, everything has turned out okay. But, I'm trying to make a few points with this little (true) story.
The story is seven years old, now. But, I think it's relevant to current events.

Think about it.

Dave

noonereal
04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Up until September of 2003, I had what I considered to have been the best job of my life. I made decent money, had the freedom to work on a very diverse range of equipment, and literally learned more every day. I ENJOYED going to work every day.*

To get to the point;

To this day former coworkers blame "Clinton" for the loss of their jobs at the headlamp plant. But the truth is---He had NOTHING to do with it. The only connection is the fact that a Canadian company bought our equipment and contracts---and took everything home with them. That's right. My job went to Windsor, Ontario. Not Mexico, or China,-----Canada. And it had little to nothing to do with NAFTA.

To explain;

In 2000, our CEO in Southfield, Michigan proudly announced a bold expansion initiative he called "B.H.A.G.", Big, Hairy, Audacious, Goal. Under BHAG, upper management would begin the rapid expansion of the company by buying up as many smaller competitors as possible, with the goal being set at 10 billion in sales by 2002. This was done so quickly and carelessly that among the companies aquired were a couple of brake companies who held-----significant asbestos liabilities. The cost of these liabilities reached 3 billion dollars. This cost, coupled with the billions in heavy debt accrued to acheive the BHAG goal drove the company into bankruptcy. THE ROOT CAUSE OF THIS FAILURE IS MANAGERIAL INCOMPETENCE. IT DIDN'T HAVE A FUCKING THING TO DO WITH THE GOVERNMENT, OR PRESIDENT CLINTON.

"But, Dave, your job went to Canada."

That's right. It did. Why?

"If we operate here, we have to pay for employee HEALTH INSURANCE. At anywhere from $300 to $1,000 per month per employee, it's prohibitively expensive. So, I'm sorry but the work goes to Canada." This is what we were all told in a meeting held by the new owners.

But, still. When I reminisce with my best friend, who also used to work there and happens to be my current boss, he grits his teeth, and hisses, "That fucking Clinton....".

I like the guy, he's a good friend and a great boss. But, he's brainwashed.
If he finds bird shit on his car----Obama sent them to do it.

Where do you guys suppose this state of mind might have come from?

My thoughts? See attached photos.

Dave

*(I'm thankfull for my current job, it pays better, has a small degree of security which is invaluable in todays economy, but otherwise sucks. I have little to no freedom in this job, most of the equipment is obsolete, etc., but I truly am thankfull to have it. Both jobs were/are non-union, BTW.)

Whats with the three stooges?

d-ray657
04-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the perspective Dave. It brings up one of the ideas where we nearly have consensus here; many of the problems in our economy can be traced to the time when the focus of management switched from the manufacturing of products to the management of finances. People who knew lots about making short-term profits and selling stock didn't care about a long-term plan for making quality products. Price was the only way to compete - not quality. To compete on price you cut money from R&D and cut wages (except for the money-handlers of course) and use cheaper materials. Short term profits, long-term doom.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow
04-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I think a fair amount of blame for this phenomena can be traced to the time/place when our industries/nation bought into the notion that a fresh-minted MBA could add great value (as compared to a someone with a technical degree or background). When everything boiled down to bean-counting, the quality of the widgets that were being manufactured mattered less.

BlueStreak
04-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Whats with the three stooges?

Okay.

The points were;

1). The "Three Stooges" are where the mentality of "everything bad that happens is all Clintons, or Obamas, or the Dems, or the liberals fault."

My boss and other former coworkers blamed the entire mess on "Clinton", still do. How so? It makes absolutely no sense. But, you can't tell them that.
Management fucked us out of our jobs, and no one else. Period. It wasn't Clinton, or Carter, or Barney Frank, or Bush, or Obama, or Mexicans, or UFOs, or the goddamned shadow people, it was our own greedy, selfish, assinyne capitalist managers. And THATS the truth!

I'll tell you why my friend thinks this way; Tune in to EIB and listen for a while. There's your fucking answer.

2). We were told, point blank, that the way HEALTHCARE is done in this country is TOO EXPENSIVE. The Canadians moved our jobs to Canada because the company doesn't pay for healthcare there. The citizens do through their taxes. At (In 2003) $300 to $1,000 per month, per employee, x 200+ employees, that's an assload of money. Why in the fuck would they do business here? I wouldn't.

I apologize if I came across as angry just now, Noon. I'm not mad at you, or anyone else here. I'm just frustrated.

Chopin. Where are my Lps? I need some Chopin. Somebody put on some fucking Chopin before I spontaneuosly combust.:eek:

Dave

d-ray657
04-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Okay.

I'm just frustrated.

Chopin. Where are my Lps? I need some Chopin. Somebody put on some fucking Chopin before I spontaneuosly combust.:eek:

Dave

One of my LP purchases yesterday is not only a great album, but has a fantastic title that fits right in with the current mood.

T-Bone Burnett - Truth Decay

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
04-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Okay.

The points were;

1). The "Three Stooges" are where the mentality of "everything bad that happens is all Clintons, or Obamas, or the Dems, or the liberals fault."

My boss and other former coworkers blamed the entire mess on "Clinton", still do. How so? It makes absolutely no sense. But, you can't tell them that.
Management fucked us out of our jobs, and no one else. Period. It wasn't Clinton, or Carter, or Barney Frank, or Bush, or Obama, or Mexicans, or UFOs, or the goddamned shadow people, it was our own greedy, selfish, assinyne capitalist managers. And THATS the truth!

I'll tell you why my friend thinks this way; Tune in to EIB and listen for a while. There's your fucking answer.

2). We were told, point blank, that the way HEALTHCARE is done in this country is TOO EXPENSIVE. The Canadians moved our jobs to Canada because the company doesn't pay for healthcare there. The citizens do through their taxes. At (In 2003) $300 to $1,000 per month, per employee, x 200+ employees, that's an assload of money. Why in the fuck would they do business here? I wouldn't.

I apologize if I came across as angry just now, Noon. I'm not mad at you, or anyone else here. I'm just frustrated.

Dave

The politicians are due some of the blame. Every time they add more regulations or more taxes on businesses they raise their operational costs and drive them to countries where it is cheaper to operate.

Now I don't blame one politician or one party, the big players make sure that no one runs who isn't already in their pocket. IMHO, the moneyed interests control the governments and not the other way around. The big internationals operate on a world stage and owe no allegiance to any nation.

Rob is quick to point out that Microsoft flies their corporate banner above the American flag at their headquarters. A small but telling detail.

I can appreciate your frustration. Not a day goes by that I don't feel like I've been had.

Chas

d-ray657
04-25-2010, 10:14 PM
The politicians are due some of the blame. Every time they add more regulations or more taxes on businesses they raise their operational costs and drive them to countries where it is cheaper to operate.

Now I don't blame one politician or one party, the big players make sure that no one runs who isn't already in their pocket. IMHO, the moneyed interests control the governments and not the other way around. The big internationals operate on a world stage and owe no allegiance to any nation.

Rob is quick to point out that Microsoft flies their corporate banner above the American flag at their headquarters. A small but telling detail.

I can appreciate your frustration. Not a day goes by that I don't feel like I've been had.

Chas

There you go again agreeing with me. What - did a little vacation warp your mind?

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
04-26-2010, 06:40 AM
There you go again agreeing with me. What - did a little vacation warp your mind?

Regards,

D-Ray

Yeah, that's the ticket!!!

To tell the truth, vacation damn near kills me. It would be easier on me to just stay home and go to work.

Chas

merrylander
04-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Well one rule that was apparently the fault of the SEC is Quarterly Reporting even though they are un-audited. That was the beginning of the end AFAIK because long range planning came to mean the next 90 days.

whoaru99
04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Heck, I'd blame him too, just because when you're in charge you get the rap regardless if you actually did anything or not. Besides, there's always plenty of blame to go around.

Charles
04-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Heck, I'd blame him too, just because when you're in charge you get the rap regardless if you actually did anything or not. Besides, there's always plenty of blame to go around.

Hell, just blame it on me.

I've been blamed because the suppliers were slow, because it was raining "RAINING", etc, etc, right on down the line.

And Shrub thought he had it rough!!!

Put it on me, I'm used to it.

Chas

Fast_Eddie
04-30-2010, 05:50 PM
"If we operate here, we have to pay for employee HEALTH INSURANCE. At anywhere from $300 to $1,000 per month per employee, it's prohibitively expensive. So, I'm sorry but the work goes to Canada."

I've said it a million times. If Republicans really had any interest in saving American jobs and helping small businesses they would have been pushing for Single Payer. But there was no "Single Payer" lobby to contribute to their next campaign.

d-ray657
04-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Hell, just blame it on me.

I've been blamed because the suppliers were slow, because it was raining "RAINING", etc, etc, right on down the line.

And Shrub thought he had it rough!!!

Put it on me, I'm used to it.

Chas

Dude, it sounds like a rough week. It's always a bitch to come back from vacation. It's Friday - pop a couple tops and listen to Linda - that'll chill ya.

Regards,

D-ray