PDA

View Full Version : "drill baby drill"

noonereal
04-29-2010, 04:16 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704302304575214453701804226.html?m od=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_3

Sara, Hannity and the gang have not uttered a word about this.

I loves me a greed filled agenda.

Boreas
04-29-2010, 05:04 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704302304575214453701804226.html?m od=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_3

Couldn't finish the article without a paid subscription but, yeah, this oil leak is seriously bad. I saw on CNN that a submersible discovered another leak yesterday. They now believe that the leak is around 5 times as bad as they thought before they sent that submersible down.

They're going to have to sink another shaft to relieve the pressure and capture most of the flow. We're talking weeks or months here. The leaks are around a mile deep. That's too deep for anything but remotely piloted vehicles to work.

Winds are too high today to continue the burn operation (which doesn't really do a whole lot anyway). This is going to be really, really bad for a very long time.

John

noonereal
04-29-2010, 05:12 PM
so you agree with m, we need more off shore drilling!

"drill baby drill!"

westgate
04-29-2010, 05:19 PM

maybe cuz they're speechless with glee and joy.

but not to worry. they'll soon pounce (on you know who-it'll be all his fault!)

:D

JJIII
04-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Fill your tanks now! It's gonna get costly very soon.:(

noonereal
04-29-2010, 08:04 PM

why?

(I know you are correct but this does not int interrupt gas supply)

JJIII
04-29-2010, 08:35 PM
why?

(I know you are correct but this does not int interrupt gas supply)

Seems any time there is any sort of crisis in the oil industry the price at the pump goes up. I may be wrong this time but my money says we are in for a price increase. It may (or should I say it will be) blamed on summer-time increase in driving. How much of the increase will be increased demand and how much will be "We lost five hundred thousand gallons of production a day"? Either way, pump prices will go up. Probably more now than they would have without the fire and sinking of the rig.

d-ray657
04-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Come on, now y'all don't think those good-willed oil companies would try to profit off of fear or misunderstanding do you?

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
04-29-2010, 09:11 PM

Six or seven cents a gallon overnight in CA. "Cheap" gas is now $3.14 a gallon.

John

PS: Combworks, I realize that to you and your "Continental Cousins" $3.14 actually is cheap.

merrylander
04-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Something is seriously wrong at BP, they seem to stumble from one disaster to another. Maybe the reason that the submersible can't shut off the blowout preventer valve is because there isn't one. They sometimes leave them off because they run about $500,000.

JJIII
04-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Maybe the reason that the submersible can't shut off the blowout preventer valve is becasue ther isn't one. They sometimes leave them off because they run about $500,000.

Now it would really suck to find out that was true.:mad:

finnbow
04-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Now it would really suck to find out that was true.:mad:

FWIW, I heard that this rig had one that failed for unknown reasons (perhaps they conveniently overlooked installing it). I also heard that places like Venezuela require a back-up blowout preventer to prevent catastrophe if the first one fails and that the US oil industry lobbied against such a (unnecessary, in their eyes) backup due to increased cost. We'll have to wait and see what's true on this one as Louisiana's coastline and seafood industry get trashed.:(

Boreas
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I also heard that places like Venezuela require a back-up blowout preventer to prevent catastrophe if the first one fails and that the US oil industry lobbied against such a (unnecessary, in their eyes) backup due to increased cost.

Buy CITGO!

John

BlueStreak
04-30-2010, 10:24 AM

Methinks it's because they would be caught in a pickle. They supported offshore drilling, the President concurred, now we have this mess. They can't take the environmental impact approach, after years of ridiculing environmentalists. Can't blame the government for the mess, because the congress wanted tighter environmental safety and the industry fought them. Can't blame the President because his offshore drilling policies have yet to take any effect. The blame lies squarely with the industry. These guys don't like to lay blame at the feet of private industry, no way, no how.

So, what's a right wing windbag to do?

I'm sure they are working on an angle, it won't be long. And it will be rediculous. I'm sure Beck is working on a way to tie it to Woodrow Wilson, Chairman Mao, Van Jones and the International Ladies Undergarment Union via ACORN, Charlie Chaplin and The Diners Club as we speak.:rolleyes:

Dave

Combwork
04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
PS: Combworks, I realize that to you and your "Continental Cousins" $3.14 actually is cheap.

Oh so true. Latest I've read is because of the depth, they might have no choice but to let it blow until its pressure matches sea pressure at that depth. 1 mile deep? Bloody hell.

Zeke
04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm sure Beck is working on a way to tie it to...The Diners Club as we speak.:rolleyes:

Damned Telly Savalas. :)

Fast_Eddie
04-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Something is seriously wrong at BP, they seem to stumble from one disaster to another. Maybe the reason that the submersible can't shut off the blowout preventer valve is because there isn't one. They sometimes leave them off because they run about $500,000.

That can't be the case as I'm sure there is appropriate regulation... I mean the Government must protect us from private...

Yah, you're probably right. Unfetterd Capitalism.

Fast_Eddie
04-30-2010, 03:40 PM
You know what's kinda BS? No one is covering this. "The liberal media" isn't touching it. No "special reports" on the cost of our oil addiction. All the yelling about bias has made them so scared to raise anything that anyone might consider a liberal issue we get no word on this. The right-wing completely controls the media.

westgate
04-30-2010, 04:25 PM
You know what's kinda BS? No one is covering this. "The liberal media" isn't touching it. No "special reports" on the cost of our oil addiction. All the yelling about bias has made them so scared to raise anything that anyone might consider a liberal issue we get no word on this. The right-wing completely controls the media.

dunno; seems like all i've been hearing on msnbc and the weather channel is news about the oil spill and its ramifications, most of today and yesterday. most of the week for that matter.

or do you mean some other aspect(s) of it?:confused:

Charles
04-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Shit happens, it's the price of poker.

There have been worse oil spills.

Chas

d-ray657
04-30-2010, 04:59 PM

http://synd.imgsrv.uclick.com/comics/wpswi/2010/wpswi100430.gif

Charles
04-30-2010, 05:09 PM
http://synd.imgsrv.uclick.com/comics/wpswi/2010/wpswi100430.gif

So now it's MY fault????

Chas

d-ray657
04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
So now it's MY fault????

Chas

Whaassup Chas. Guilty conscience or something? The cartoon was posted in response to Eddie's comment about media coverage of the oil spill. I guess you're right that the point of the cartoon is that this type of effort to dill oil would not be necessary unless we consumers had such a voracious appetite for fuel. I don't think it points the finger at you. We've discussed before the difference between the having a working truck that consumes a larger amount of fuel, and commuting in a gas hog that hasn't had a payload bigger than a few sacks of groceries.

I do think that the event creates an opportunity for discussion whether greater emphasis should be spent on conservation than on finding other sources to feed the beast.

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
04-30-2010, 11:39 PM
So, what's a right wing windbag to do?

I'm sure they are working on an angle, it won't be long. And it will be rediculous.

They've got one. Boss Limbaugh has decided that the whole thing was caused by an "eco-terrorist" attack on the platform. I mean, after all, it did happen on Earth Day!

John

Charles
05-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Whaassup Chas. Guilty conscience or something? The cartoon was posted in response to Eddie's comment about media coverage of the oil spill. I guess you're right that the point of the cartoon is that this type of effort to dill oil would not be necessary unless we consumers had such a voracious appetite for fuel. I don't think it points the finger at you. We've discussed before the difference between the having a working truck that consumes a larger amount of fuel, and commuting in a gas hog that hasn't had a payload bigger than a few sacks of groceries.

I do think that the event creates an opportunity for discussion whether greater emphasis should be spent on conservation than on finding other sources to feed the beast.

Regards,

D-Ray

That's it I'm on a guilt trip.

Actually, it was a poor stab at humor on my part. I've been mentally exhausted for the last three weeks and have been way off of my game.

Actually, I'm a fan of sensible green energy. By sensible, I mean affordable. Make it cost effective, and I'll be the greenest SOB on the planet.

Anyway, it's time for me to go to work.

Chas

merrylander
05-01-2010, 11:06 AM
No comment

Combwork
05-02-2010, 06:33 AM

There have been worse oil spills.http://www.politicalchat.org/images/editor/color.gif

Chas

Hi,

There have been worse oil spills

How do you know? Last I read it was still going on.

Fast_Eddie
05-03-2010, 09:55 AM

Well, one way or another, turns out you were right.

http://www.examiner.com/x-38220-Orlando-Independent-Examiner~y2010m5d2-500K-device-may-have-prevented-oil-spill

$500,000 device may have prevented oil spill.

Fast_Eddie
05-03-2010, 09:56 AM

There have been worse oil spills.

Chas

Listening to the radio this morning, horribly, I'm affraid you'll ultimately be wrong about this.