PDA

View Full Version : Finally! A secular government has the balls..

BlueStreak
06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
...to stand up to organized religion.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100625/ap_on_re_eu/eu_vatican_belgium

Good for You, Belgium!

Dave

djv8ga
06-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Ditto...Good for them. :)

Boreas
06-25-2010, 07:29 PM
The Vatican really does believe it's above the law, doesn't it?

John

d-ray657
06-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Are you suggesting that an organization who demands celibacy of its officials is not prepared to deal with sexual deviants? Yeah, maybe you're right.

Regards.

D-Ray

merrylander
06-26-2010, 07:52 AM
maybe that will take everyones mind off seperation.

BlueStreak
06-26-2010, 12:56 PM
maybe that will take everyones mind off seperation.

I don't think so, Rob. The first thing you'll hear is "Well, that's just the Catholics. That sort of thing would never happen in my church, 'cuz we're closer to Godliness than they are.":rolleyes:

Dave

merrylander
06-26-2010, 01:18 PM
I was thinking of the seperation of Belgium into French and Dutch areas, I think the central government there is kind of hanging in - barely.

Boreas
06-26-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't think so, Rob. The first thing you'll hear is "Well, that's just the Catholics. That sort of thing would never happen in my church, 'cuz we're closer to Godliness than they are.":rolleyes:

Dave

I think this sort of thing is more likely in the Catholic church because of the celibate clergy.

John

d-ray657
06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
I think this sort of thing is more likely in the Catholic church because of the celibate clergy.

John

I think that was my point, just stated a bit more obtusely. If one were to consider the norm, or even the most common sexual practices, one might argue that celibacy is deviant.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
06-26-2010, 03:05 PM

John

Possibly. I was just speaking to the arrogance of, "Well, that's just those people. No one here would ever do such a thing."---Famous last words.

See what I'm sayin'?

Dave

merrylander
06-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Pedophilia and celibacy are two different things and they have not been screening applicants for the priesthood well at all.

I would imagine that it does present more opportunities since a child is likely to be unable to believe that what the 'good father' is doing is wrong.

Charles
06-27-2010, 12:21 AM
I think that was my point, just stated a bit more obtusely. If one were to consider the norm, or even the most common sexual practices, one might argue that celibacy is deviant.

Regards,

D-Ray

Excellent point, to a degree.

Celibacy, when practiced judiciously, is a moral issue.

Chas

Boreas
06-27-2010, 12:49 AM

I suppose, but my thought is that the idea of celibacy appeals to a person who recognizes in himself a sexuality or maybe just sexual predilections which fill him with dread and horror. In those circumstances a celibate life appears to offer a means of escape from self.

We all know how that works.

John

elwood127
06-27-2010, 02:03 AM

John

Tell that to the asshole from my baptist church that abused my best friend and I. It started with "would you like to mow my yard?" Mandatory castration works for me.

BlueStreak
06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Tell that to the asshole from my baptist church that abused my best friend and I. It started with "would you like to mow my yard?" Mandatory castration works for me.

And this was my point.

Dave