PDA

View Full Version : Money from heaven or ?

Grumpy
06-12-2009, 06:27 AM
This story got me thinking http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/brads_edge/I75_Slowed_by_Loose_Cash

Your driving down the expressway when an armored cars doors fly open. Money begins to fly out the back door at you. People are stopping to grab what they can. Do you return it or ?

JJIII
06-12-2009, 07:12 AM
"If it ain't yours, leave it alone."

(Unless you want to be helpful and return it to the lawful owner.)

Sandy G
06-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Return it to the owner. Minus a reasonable Finder's Fee-of course. (grin)

merrylander
06-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Return to owner.

soundhound
06-12-2009, 01:05 PM
i'd return it, but it sure would be hard...

Charles
06-14-2009, 05:02 PM
I'd just keep going.

Chas

Combwork
06-15-2009, 03:11 AM
EDIT. Written in haste as I had to catch a bus.

Depends where it came from. I don't know about US Banks but UK banks were bailed out by the government (taxpayer) but they still give incredible bonuses to staff who were directly responsible for screwing things up. Fred Goodwin (ex chief of Royal Bank of Scotland) gets £693,000 pension per year for the rest of his life plus a multi million £ bonus.

RBS made me bankrupt 10 years ago and my credit rating's been affected ever since. After the case legal advice was they acted improperly and I could go back to Court to ask that the bankruptcy be overturned, but that it would cost approximately £2000 to do this. I didn't have £2000.......... In comparison, last year RBS was within 24 hours of being declared insolvent, so the government stepped in and now owns 68% of it, but they still pay that greedy bastard £13,326 PER WEEK for the rest of his worthless life. OK, he's moved abroad on the grounds that if he were in the U.K. his life expectancy might be a bit short, but if the found money came from RBS, I'd take and keep as much as I possibly could and smile as I did it.

JJIII
06-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Morality is relative?

Sandy G
06-15-2009, 05:53 AM
No, when it came down to it, OF COURSE I'd return all of it, morality is NOT relative, but its awful hard to "Do the Right Thing" when every day you read of crooks in gov't & business stealing megabux & getting away w/it...And those are the ones who've screwed up & we hear about it...There's prolly 2-3X that do it, get away w/it, & we NEVER hear about it...

merrylander
06-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Well as combwork put it RBS screwed him over and in all fairness "owes" him.

JJIII
06-15-2009, 07:50 AM

He also stated that there was an avenue open for him to be made well again. He chose to not persue it. I don't know how the legal system in Scotland works but it may have been possible to recover the 2000 pounds (?) needed to start the process.

Combwork
06-15-2009, 10:09 AM

Thank you merrylander. Bitter moi?

Combwork
06-15-2009, 03:15 PM
He also stated that there was an avenue open for him to be made well again. He chose to not persue it. I don't know how the legal system in Scotland works but it may have been possible to recover the 2000 pounds (?) needed to start the process.

I did not chose not to persue it. Despite being told I could apply to the Court to overturn the bankruptcy, until I did so I was bankrupt and subject to all its limits. This meant that I had no access to credit. Any action I took would have to be paid in cash up front. As I said, I did not have £2000. Classic catch 22. If I had had £2000 it would have been taken by the Accountant in Bankruptcy. If I had squirreled it away, even though I was using it to challenge the bankruptcy the fact that I had it without telling the Accountant in Bankruptcy would mean I was committing fraud, and could have gone to prison.

merrylander
06-15-2009, 03:45 PM
As I thought, when the individual is up against a corporation or large financial institution you are pretty well at their mercy. I recall asking the company lawyer what my chances were to pursue a large manufacturer over what I believed was a defect in one of their products. His answer was "Go ahead, you can also dance with a gorilla, the odds are about even." Actually since gorillas are reputed to be gentle creatures I think the odds favoured the gorilla.

However, I did write to the CEO and he had his assistant call me. When I explained what had happened she asked if I still had the invoice for the repairs. As it happened I did and faxed it to her. They reimbursed me the full amount without admitting any responsibility.

Sandy G
06-15-2009, 04:45 PM
I did not chose not to persue it. Despite being told I could apply to the Court to overturn the bankruptcy, until I did so I was bankrupt and subject to all its limits. This meant that I had no access to credit. Any action I took would have to be paid in cash up front. As I said, I did not have £2000. Classic catch 22. If I had had £2000 it would have been taken by the Accountant in Bankruptcy. If I had squirreled it away, even though I was using it to challenge the bankruptcy the fact that I had it without telling the Accountant in Bankruptcy would mean I was committing fraud, and could have gone to prison.

Classic "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation...

JJIII
06-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Are there no lawers willing to work on a contingency basis?

Combwork
06-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Are there no lawers willing to work on a contingency basis?

Not common in the U.K. There are a few, but they mostly work on damages or insurance claims; something with enough possible profit to tempt them to take a chance.

JJIII
06-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Not common in the U.K. There are a few, but they mostly work on damages or insurance claims; something with enough possible profit to tempt them to take a chance.

Now I know more about the world than I did before.

I am sorry that you got ripped off. It really does seem unfair that a person would have to pay out of their own pocket to recover what is rightfully theirs.