PDA

View Full Version : Busted Rekkid Player

Twodogs
07-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Obama graced KC with his presence today and gave a speech at an electric truck manufacturer. You guys won't believe this, but the first half of the speech was about how the last 8 years had America so screwed up that even he was having trouble fixing it. The second half (believe it or not), was about how much better things are now than when he stepped into the whole pile of crap. I've heard the speech so many times now that it doesn't even bother me anymore. The sad part as I see it, is that there are still people truly believing him. My hourly wage went up 16 dollars during Bush's presidency. I wonder how much it will go up while Obama's at the helm.:p The crowd really seemed to like him though, maybe because of the 32 million that he handed them last year as they were about to go under (a grant they called it). He congratulated the crew for making delivery trucks with zero emissions. I guess nobody told him that it's coal fired boilers that charge the batteries in those trucks, and we ALL know how evil coal is.:eek: I think all we can do now is enjoy the clown show for a couple more years and at least try to have a laugh every now and again.:)

finnbow
07-08-2010, 07:31 PM
You guys won't believe this, but the first half of the speech was about how the last 8 years had America so screwed up that even he was having trouble fixing it.

I believe it because that pretty much sums it up. Whether he's as successful as he should be at righting the ship of state is certainly subject to debate, but there's no debate that when he was handed the baton that it was coated in shit.

Twodogs
07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Yes it is true, but I guess my point is that it is starting to sound like a cop-out. I feel like he needs to start talking about the "now" and the future. Pointing that tired old finger, and whining about how shitty the baton was isn't getting us anywhere ya know. We could all make excuses every day about things that aren't or weren't fair, but don't we get farther ahead if we "man up" and work through the problems. It feels to me like he just keeps pushing an agenda and not worrying about the problems at hand. What's the old saying about the lake being fished dry?

finnbow
07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I understand your point, but I'm curious if you think McCain/Palin would have been doing better. McCain didn't even recognize that we had economic problems smack dab in the middle of the crash. As for Sista Sarah, I'm not sure she had even found the coffee pot and bathroom by the end of the campaign.

BlueStreak
07-09-2010, 12:25 AM
The only thing that should bother you about the speech----is that most of it is true.

Dave

Twodogs
07-09-2010, 06:27 AM
The only thing that should bother you about the speech----is that most of it is true.

Dave

No, it isn't.

Grumpy
07-09-2010, 06:28 AM

Dave

I may not agree with what Jay's original post says but I certainly don't agree with yours. Saying things are better does have an effect on economy but only for so long. That times past, we need more jobs and less unemployment and thats not happening here.

Come Monday, the gooberment is dishing out 150 mil to help underwater home owners here. That does not sound like a growin economy to me.

noonereal
07-09-2010, 06:32 AM
the clown show

:rolleyes:

the irony is rich

noonereal
07-09-2010, 06:37 AM
I may not agree with what Jay's original post says but I certainly don't agree with yours. Saying things are better does have an effect on economy but only for so long. That times past, we need more jobs and less unemployment and thats not happening here.

Come Monday, the gooberment is dishing out 150 mil to help underwater home owners here. That does not sound like a growin economy to me.

I think the wrong things now effect the economy.

It seems the only things that inspire the economy are increased profits for the investor class. New jobs are begrudged by wall street now days as they are seen as an impediment to immediate profits. I don't know what the future holds but I do know the new modern Corporate Economy is not good for those that work for a living.

merrylander
07-09-2010, 07:03 AM
The whole purpose is to develop new battery technology here, or would you prefer to buy them from Bejing?

BlueStreak
07-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Yes it is true, but I guess my point is that it is starting to sound like a cop-out. I feel like he needs to start talking about the "now" and the future. Pointing that tired old finger, and whining about how shitty the baton was isn't getting us anywhere ya know. We could all make excuses every day about things that aren't or weren't fair, but don't we get farther ahead if we "man up" and work through the problems. It feels to me like he just keeps pushing an agenda and not worrying about the problems at hand. What's the old saying about the lake being fished dry?

Except that so many people think that voting for the same party that shittied up the baton the first place will somehow clean it up the next time.:rolleyes:

I predict more shit on the baton after the GOP has regained power.

Dave

BlueStreak
07-09-2010, 10:24 AM

True, I can't dispute the numbers. Last month the administration was crowing about an unemployment drop from 9.7 to 9.5 %, which I really don't see as much to crow about. I can agree with that.

But, is it because the money just simply isn't there to grow our economy? Or is it because someone is sitting on it? And, why would "they" do that?

Dave

Boreas
07-09-2010, 11:08 AM

Things are better. They're bad but they're better than they were. Our situation was getting observably worse by the day under Bush. The Obama Administration has managed, at least for the moment, to halt our slide into the abyss.

It infuriates me to see these whiny spoiled brat Republicans and their evil twin Teabaggers bitching at Obama because he hasn't fixed things yet and even blaming him for the shape we're in. It took Bush and Cheney 8 years to destroy our government and the economy. What's Obama supposed to do in a year and a half?

John

piece-itpete
07-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Bush ate my baby!

Pete

PS I didn't think I'd get to use that one again :)

Combwork
07-09-2010, 11:58 AM
I think the wrong things now effect the economy.

It seems the only things that inspire the economy are increased profits for the investor class. New jobs are begrudged by wall street now days as they are seen as an impediment to immediate profits. I don't know what the future holds but I do know the new modern Corporate Economy is not good for those that work for a living.

I think that's the basic shift on both sides of the pond. Not that long ago new jobs were essential; workers made things, bosses sold them and the money came in. Not fairly distributed perhaps, but it came in, got taxed and got spent. Now it's done at a distance by people with a totally different agenda. I'll give you a case in point.

About 10 years ago, British Steel spent millions upgrading a steel plant in Clanwern (Wales) and thanks to the workers and intelligent managers and sales staff, per head it was one of the most productive in Europe. Then British Steel were in effect taken over by an international company called Corus. Their bean counters did the maths and found they could buy similar (but not quite as good) steel from a factory in Sweden, and that even after deducting the cost of all this newly installed equipment and the productivity coming from it, the land was worth more than the factory so they closed it down. Equipment that cost millions to buy and just as much to install scrapped. Zero value, "don't worry, we'll write it off as a tax loss chaps". Absolute fucking insanity.

It's still happening. Sheffield Forgemasters, very heavy engineering company. Profitable. Amongst other things, they were tooling up to make very heavy equipment for the nuclear power industry. If you check here http://www.sheffieldforgemasters.com/news/2010/03/forgemasters-place-uk-at-forefront-of-nuclear-power-manufacturing you'll see what they were up to. Forgemasters had an agreement with the previous government for a loan to part finance the project. This was a loan, not a grant. It was to be secured on the companies assets and repaid with interest over a fixed term. The new governments canceled it. This won't put Forgemasters out of business, but from what I've read, any new power station built will have to buy these pieces of equipment from the only other factory capable of making them, and that factory's in Japan.

Twodogs
07-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Things are better. They're bad but they're better than they were. Our situation was getting observably worse by the day under Bush. The Obama Administration has managed, at least for the moment, to halt our slide into the abyss.

It infuriates me to see these whiny spoiled brat Republicans and their evil twin Teabaggers bitching at Obama because he hasn't fixed things yet and even blaming him for the shape we're in. It took Bush and Cheney 8 years to destroy our government and the economy. What's Obama supposed to do in a year and a half?

John

The only thing Bush did wrong, was to let Pelosi and Fwanks run wild and not use his veto power. Whiny spoiled brat republicans? :p Don't quite know how to respond to that, let's see..................Nanner Nanner boo boo, or, I know you are but what am I?

finnbow
07-09-2010, 05:44 PM
The only thing Bush did wrong, was to let Pelosi and Fwanks run wild and not use his veto power. Whiny spoiled brat republicans? :p Don't quite know how to respond to that, let's see..................Nanner Nanner boo boo, or, I know you are but what am I?

I'm curious what your views are with regard to how the nation would be faring if Bush were to have been allowed to retain the presidency for another four years. Better or worse than things currently are? I think we'd be upside down in ditch with four flat tires.

Twodogs
07-09-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm curious what your views are with regard to how the nation would be faring if Bush were to have been allowed to retain the presidency for another four years. Better or worse than things currently are? I think we'd be upside down in ditch with four flat tires.

I agree that Bush's last few years were horrible. I think he just got used up. That said though, I think Obama will be a one termer and history will treat him very poorly. I don't expect that anyone could have "fixed" the economy by now, and that's not why I dislike him so much. It's the things he "is" doing that I don't like. Every approval poll that I know of, says I'm in the majority with that thinking. It is my opinion that only the farthest left wing is still behind him, and many of those just don't want to admit they voted for a pipe dream. It's not like he only lied to republicans and independents while campaigning.:(

Charles
07-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Personally, I think things might be a little better, for no other reason than the National Debt would be smaller.

Chas

finnbow
07-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I agree that Bush's last few years were horrible. I think he just got used up. That said though, I think Obama will be a one termer and history will treat him very poorly. I don't expect that anyone could have "fixed" the economy by now, and that's not why I dislike him so much. It's the things he "is" doing that I don't like. Every approval poll that I know of, says I'm in the majority with that thinking. It is my opinion that only the farthest left wing is still behind him, and many of those just don't want to admit they voted for a pipe dream. It's not like he only lied to republicans and independents while campaigning.:(

I hear ya, but I can't help but think he's doing better than McCain/Palin would have done (and that was the extent of our choice during the last election). IIRC, his holiness and solver of all problems big and small, Ronald Reagan, wasn't running.

Twodogs
07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
And there is the great hope. After Carter we got the savior, but I'll be darned if I know who that would be this time. The potential GOP candidates don't come anywhere near sending a thrill up my leg.:( Hell, one local radio talk show was talking about Newt the other day.:confused: I just keep hoping and praying that "someone" will emerge before 2012.:o

finnbow
07-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Mitch Daniels (Indiana Governor) would be the best choice the GOP could make. He's highly competent and pragmatic, but has no name recognition outside of Indiana. However, the base may insist upon a Tea Party/Religious Right nutjob, of which there are plenty to choose from.

BTW, I was just joshing about Reagan. He introduced the ridiculous pathology to the GOP and the nation that we could have it all and not pay for it. We're now paying for that silly promise.

Boreas
07-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Whiny spoiled brat republicans? :p Don't quite know how to respond to that, let's see..................Nanner Nanner boo boo, or, I know you are but what am I?

I was actually thinking in terms of Republican politicians but if you want to extend the definition to cover yourself I'd be okay with that. :)

John

merrylander
07-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Well TD you guys could always run old jug ears Sessions for Pres, except for the fact that he wants to buy those French air tankers.:p

BlueStreak
07-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Mitch Daniels (Indiana Governor) would be the best choice the GOP could make. He's highly competent and pragmatic, but has no name recognition outside of Indiana.

"highly competent and pragmatic"? You're right, he's out.

However, the base may insist upon a Tea Party/Religious Right nutjob, of which there are plenty to choose from.

Bingo!

Somehow, I don't see anything sensible coming out of the phalanx of whackos presently rising on the right. It's still possible, but not likely, IMHO.

Dave

noonereal
07-10-2010, 10:19 AM
I was actually thinking in terms of Republican politicians but if you want to extend the definition to cover yourself I'd be okay with that. :)

John

the governor in NJ is doing some things few politicians ever do

that being said he could never be a presidential candidate

Boreas
07-10-2010, 11:58 AM

I've only been paying the slightest attention to Christie, less than I ought to seeing as I lived in NJ for nearly a decade. One thing strikes me, though. He must have something on the ball since all the Democrats in NJ could come up with is that he's fat.

Heck, so was Taft!

Oh, wait...........

;)

John

Twodogs
07-10-2010, 12:37 PM

Christie is definitely an interesting guy.

noonereal
07-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Christie is definitely an interesting guy.

write it down dog, i like him ;)

noonereal
07-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I've only been paying the slightest attention to Christie, less than I ought to seeing as I lived in NJ for nearly a decade. One thing strikes me, though. He must have something on the ball since all the Democrats in NJ could come up with is that he's fat.

Heck, so was Taft!

Oh, wait...........

;)

John

my old mayor was fat fat, http://www.ocmayors.com/images/08-03/doria01.jpg

he's one of the guys arrested in the big sting operation out here last year.

many of them have been turning up dead since, real life sopranos.

Joe's still kickin, I mean eating!

Boreas
07-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Man! I really seem to have trouble with your links, Ed. This one won't work either.

John

noonereal
07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
?????? http://www.ocmayors.com/images/08-03/doria01.jpg

here it is again but when i clicked it it worked???????

just another fat pol

Boreas
07-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Nope! Not in Firefox or IE8. They "couldn't find" it

Screw it!

John

finnbow
07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Hmmm. Worked for me too. Anyway, here's a picture of the Bubba.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz299/finnbow/doria01-1.jpg

Boreas
07-10-2010, 01:53 PM
A latter day Boss Tweed!

John

Twodogs
07-10-2010, 01:58 PM
write it down dog, i like him ;)

Well, hell, scratch him off the list I guess.:D

Boreas
07-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Well, hell, scratch him off the list I guess.:D

The Teabaggers are getting a little annoyed with him. He's too sane.

John