PDA

View Full Version : NASA-Muslim Outreach?

BlueStreak
07-09-2010, 02:49 AM
I know that, to a degree the space program was used as an outreach to the USSR in the 1970's and 1980's with some success. But, I have to admit I find this a bit bizarre;

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opinions/view/opinion/Conservatives-Furious-Over-NASA-Muslim-Outreach-4241

Even as I consider the differences between the mainstream Muslim World, and that of the Extreme Islamists, I don't see that slapping a star and crescent on the side of the International Space Station is going to do much to change what's been going on for the last 1300 years.:rolleyes:

Dave

Boreas
07-09-2010, 03:19 AM
I don't see a single thing wrong with this. If anything, knowing that The Moonie Times, Dr. Strangelove and Prawn Vanity object means it must be a good idea.

John

JJIII
07-09-2010, 05:34 AM
Seems to me to be the opposite of tilting at windmills.

piece-itpete
07-09-2010, 08:38 AM
EVERYTHING'S a freakin' affirmative action program.

Pete

finnbow
07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
It is a bit confusing. Using NASA as the vehicle to give a technological jumpstart to Muslim nations after a millenia of backwardness is a bid odd.

That said, I don't believe that it really is one of NASA's priorities. I think it was nothing more than a conciliatory comment to a Muslim audience. Much ado about nothing, methinks.

OTOH, if an Arab astronaut's participation on a trip to the space station would help pull young Arab minds toward science and academic achievement, it would be a good thing. I'm not holding my breath though.

BlueStreak
07-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Precisely.

Dave

Boreas
07-09-2010, 11:14 AM
OTOH, if an Arab astronaut's participation on a trip to the space station would help pull young Arab minds toward science and academic achievement, it would be a good thing. I'm not holding my breath though.

Now, if only NASA would perform a similar outreach to the Bible Belt!

John

finnbow
07-09-2010, 11:15 AM

John

You know I almost added that to my post. Honest.

Great minds think alike.;)

noonereal
07-09-2010, 12:35 PM

John

Amen ;)

Charles
07-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Don't reckon they'd blow up the space station if given a chance?

Chas

Twodogs
07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
I'd like to "reach out" to a Muslim.:p

finnbow
07-09-2010, 07:41 PM
I'd like to "reach out" to a Muslim.:p

You might learn something interesting/useful if you did.:cool:

Charles
07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
The vast majority of Muzzies appear to be decent sorts. Doesn't hurt a thing to try to get along with the moderates.

Chas

finnbow
07-09-2010, 09:22 PM
As hard as it may be for us to fathom, Muslims have a deserved reputation for being the most gracious and generous hosts in the world (as long as you're perceived as a guest). This has proven true in the Muslim countries I've visited, above all Turkey.

noonereal
07-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Whatever happened to moslems???

Ever since 911 it's muslim.

Boreas
07-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Whatever happened to moslems???

Ever since 911 it's muslim.

Muslim's been around for a while but it sort of coexisted with Moslem. Hey, it used to be Mohammedan and before that Mahometan.

John

d-ray657
07-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Muslim's been around for a while but it sort of coexisted with Moslem. Hey, it used to be Mohammedan and before that Mahometan.

John

From what I have read, devotees of the Islam faith prefer to be called Muslim, because one way of translating Moslem has to do with being dishonest.

Here's a link: http://hnn.us/articles/524.html

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
07-09-2010, 11:57 PM

John

Fer real, fer real...........:rolleyes:

Dave

BlueStreak
07-10-2010, 12:02 AM
The vast majority of Muzzies appear to be decent sorts. Doesn't hurt a thing to try to get along with the moderates.

Chas

I worked with a couple of Iranian immigrants back in the '90s that were very nice, very professional people. Knew 'em about six years, they were damn fine Americans.:D

Dave

Charles
07-10-2010, 12:34 AM
I worked with a couple of Iranian immigrants back in the '90s that were very nice, very professional people. Knew 'em about six years, they were damn fine Americans.:D

Dave

I met a Russian defector once. He was a falling down drunk.

But I liked him.

Chas

BlueStreak
07-10-2010, 12:58 AM
I met a Russian defector once. He was a falling down drunk.

But I liked him.

Chas

His name wasn't Alexander Dimitriovich Berelovich by any chance was it?
That was the biggiest drunken louse I've ever met. We sent him to an Allen-Bradley PLC course in Richmond. He disappeared for three days. Finally, the Richmond Police called the plant saying they had arrested him for patronizing the local "workin' girls", found him in a hotel room with two hookers and a gallon of vodka. When we finally got his ass back in the plant he recommended we "sue Allen-Bradley for giving me not my certificate. They lie. Every day there, I was." We fired him.

Dave

noonereal
07-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Richmond Police called the plant saying they had arrested him for patronizing the local "workin' girls", found him in a hotel room with two hookers and a gallon of vodka.

I still can't believe we arrest people for this here in the land of the free.

finnbow
07-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Yeh. You just ruined my weekend plans.:(

noonereal
07-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeh. You just ruined my weekend plans.:(

LMAO, I'm still fine with it.

Charles
07-10-2010, 10:25 AM
His name wasn't Alexander Dimitriovich Berelovich by any chance was it?
That was the biggiest drunken louse I've ever met. We sent him to an Allen-Bradley PLC course in Richmond. He disappeared for three days. Finally, the Richmond Police called the plant saying they had arrested him for patronizing the local "workin' girls", found him in a hotel room with two hookers and a gallon of vodka. When we finally got his ass back in the plant he recommended we "sue Allen-Bradley for giving me not my certificate. They lie. Every day there, I was." We fired him.

Dave

Nah, this guy was just a swabbie who jumped ship in Houston. Back in the 70's.

Said everybody knew he was going to do it, and the Captain even came down and wished him the best of luck.

He thought everything in America was great...other than the Houston cops. They kept arresting him for intoxication.

Chas

BlueStreak
07-10-2010, 01:50 PM

Neither can I, but that's a subject for another thread.

Dave