PDA

View Full Version : Huh...IRS looking for way to tax personal use of business phones

whoaru99
06-12-2009, 07:49 AM
"Specifically, the IRS has started to implement regulations for identifying personal versus business usage on company cell phones. ... "To be able to exclude the use by an employee from taxable income from an employer-owned cell phone, the employer must have some method to require the employee to keep records that distinguish business from personal phone charges. If the telephone is used exclusively for business, all use is excludable from income (as a working condition fringe benefit). The amount that represents personal use is included in the wages of the employee. This includes individual personal calls, as well as a pro rata share of monthly service charges."

"While these regulations are only in their infancy phase at this time and only applicable to government agencies, it is only a matter of time before these regulations become a requirement for all businesses."

If I have to keep one more report or one more log I think I might go bag groceries for a living. I wonder how the IRS will make out on that trade vs my current income?

I also like this part... "If the telephone is used exclusively for business, all use is excludable from income (as a working condition fringe benefit)." Don't know the idiot that wrote that, but clearly they don't have to carry a cell phone for business. The fringe benefit [I]is the personal use thereof, not the exclusive use for business, IMO.

merrylander
06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Not worried, don't have a cell phone, don't have a brain tumor either.

Sandy G
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Anybody but you, Rob, I'd have Somethin' Snarky to say right about now...(grin)

merrylander
06-12-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm serious, read the obits some days.

Charles
06-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Between the computer, the cell phone w GPS, OnStar, and the smart grid, the fukkers are going to nail our collective asses to the barn door...and extract their pound of flesh.

Any of you serfs disagree?

Chas

Sandy G
06-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I knew about the brain tumor thing...One of the myriad reasons I won't use one o' the damthings meself, other than its just a "Have to" situation. Part of the problem is I have what could politely be called Island-Sized Paws, & I lost a little dexterity when I had that stroke, but the BIG problem is Uncle Arthur Itis. If I had to use one of 'em much, I'd prolly get VERY angry & end up "spiking" the silly-arse thaing...Or try for a new world record in Shot-Putting...(grin)

Charles
06-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I knew about the brain tumor thing...One of the myriad reasons I won't use one o' the damthings meself, other than its just a "Have to" situation. Part of the problem is I have what could politely be called Island-Sized Paws, & I lost a little dexterity when I had that stroke, but the BIG problem is Uncle Arthur Itis. If I had to use one of 'em much, I'd prolly get VERY angry & end up "spiking" the silly-arse thaing...Or try for a new world record in Shot-Putting...(grin)

You do that too? I can think of several gadgets of mine which wound up being stomped flat, beat with a rigging axe, and thrown into the street. My old computer monitor had a big dent in the top where I smacked it with a S&W.

Didn't seem to scare it too much.

BTW, any luck with your little dog?

Chas

Sandy G
06-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Lauriann, my wife, found him on the back stoop this morning at 5.30, shaking, scared, but otherwise OK.

Charles
06-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Best news I've heard all day. Damn, I love a dog.

Chas