PDA

View Full Version : Right wing extremist hosts.

Twodogs
06-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Seems to be lots of them these days, from the old standard Rushbo, to newer guys like Beck (he's new on TV anyhow). Which ones do you guys like or hate. Are any of them really "fair and balanced", like O'Reilly claims to be? I listen to Rush most everyday and agree with about 90% of what he has to say, but he's not really very entertaining to me. Hanity has sort of worn me thin, and needs to get some new material (not that I hate him or anything). I guess I enjoy Beck and Bill on TV, and Laura for AM talk. Oh, and I like Savage if I happen to be listening in the evenings. As Mr. Bill would say "What say You"?

JJIII
06-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I like Beck's sense of humor. I also think he is on spot in a lot of what he says. Rush just doesn't suit my taste although I agree with most of what he has to say. Laura is in the right place but tends to get a little worked up sometimes as does O'Reilly. Maybe they are being loud to gain attention, but I think the arguement ought to speak for itself. Savage is out there sometimes.

Twodogs
06-18-2009, 04:37 PM
I like Beck's sense of humor. I also think he is on spot in a lot of what he says. Rush just doesn't suit my taste although I agree with most of what he has to say. Laura is in the right place but tends to get a little worked up sometimes as does O'Reilly. Maybe they are being loud to gain attention, but I think the arguement ought to speak for itself. Savage is out there sometimes.

Looks like we're on the same page pretty much. I just recently (post Obama) started enjoying Savage, and I'm not sure if it's his delivery, or his views (a little of both I imagine). The thing with Laura (and Ann Colter) probably has something to do with an attraction to smart women. I thought Colter was a bubbly headed hotty until I really listened to her a few times. The fact that she wears short skirts and has legs 2 stories tall probably didn't help that assessment.:rolleyes: Beck though, is the one that I have had the biggest change of opinion on. The first time I saw him on FOX, he was crying, so I wrote him off as a weirdo girly man. After watching him a few times though, I think he really does care (more than the average person), and so what if he gets emotional from time to time. I think I'm going to read his new book this weekend (Beck's Common Sense).

merrylander
06-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Sorry if this offends, but how anyone can pay any attention to that Coulter bitch is beyond my comprehension. As for the rest of the lot, the only I have ever heard Limbaugh I was riding in a coworkers car and she had him on the radio. When I asked her who tha barking idiot was she got huffy and told me it was him. Listen to these people? It would be as enlightening to go out back, take the cover off the septic tank and stick my head in.

noonereal
06-19-2009, 07:52 AM

I think Beck is emotionally challenged. I would be surprised if psychological issues do not come forward or surface.
O'Reilly is sharp but his claim to being fair and balanced is interesting. It seems he wants to show both sides but they wants to "teach" his audience that his view is correct. This results in his ego not allowing him to be fair and balanced.

JJIII
06-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I will agree that O'Reilly may have an over-abundance of testosterone that rears its ugly head on occasion. (Puns are where you see them)

As for Beck, I'm not qualified to know if he has issues or not but I like a lot of what he is fighting for.

Twodogs
06-19-2009, 05:43 PM
O Reilly certainly isn't a conservative IMHO. I agree about his ego being huge enough to "cloud" his thinking from time to time.:rolleyes:

merrylander
06-20-2009, 06:48 AM
The only problem with the Right is that they have not had a new idea in 100 years, that's why I never listen to them - it has all been said before.

Sandy G
06-20-2009, 07:28 AM
The one I like is that damn guy that sounds like he's gonna have a stroke any second, he gets SO wound up-Michael Savage...Or that other dude, HE gets eye-popping wound up, too-Mark Levin...I hate to tell him, but he loses a LOT of credibility w/his squeaky, nasally, "little girl" voice...If you're gonna issue forth w/Portents of Doom like he does, you need a Portent of Doom voice- James Earl Jones comes to mind, or William Conrad, Vaughn Monroe, Herschel Bernardi, but most of those guys are dead.

Twodogs
06-22-2009, 03:49 PM
The only problem with the Right is that they have not had a new idea in 100 years, that's why I never listen to them - it has all been said before.

If we could just stick with that idea that's 200 years old (the constitution). The "new" ideas I see lately suck.:(

JJIII
06-23-2009, 05:57 AM
What he said!

merrylander
06-23-2009, 07:21 AM
As a sanforized citizen I swore to honour and defend the Constitution. There are days when I wonder if I am the only one in the country doing so.

Sandy G
06-23-2009, 07:24 AM
As a sanforized citizen I swore to honour and defend the Constitution. There are days when I wonder if I am the only one in the country doing so.

Rob as Diogenes...Well, sort of, anyway...(grin)

Brett A
06-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I think the problem with the characters mentioned (Rush, Savage, et al) is that people mistake them as credible sources for information which they really aren't. If people made just a little more effort to get actual information on events, they'd see pretty quickly that what these folks are are entertainers---people who are hired to push the buttons of the most base emotions such as fear, hatred, pride and feelings of separateness.

To do that, they dispense with such bedrock values as individual liberties, tolerance, and cooperation. Remember the expression "united we stand, divided we fall"? That does not mean clubbing everyone over the head until they agree with you, it means making room and getting along.

If you enjoy their kind of programming, I guess you can go right ahead. But the path they're leading you down can only end badly.

I'd challenge any regular listeners of these "entertainers" to unhook and seek sources of information that aren't wrapped in so much emotional reactivity. That way, you are left free free to feel how you really feel based on your own reactions to events with as full a picture as you can find.

As for me, when given a choice between hopeful, constructive, positive views and destructive, separatist, angry ones I'll choose the former, thank you.

And yes, I have spent hundreds of hours listening to these guys back when I drove for a living. They raise some really good points, but it's so wrapped in reactionary emotionality charged bullshit I eventually couldn't take it any longer.

JJIII
06-24-2009, 06:46 PM
"I'd challenge any regular listeners of these "entertainers" to unhook and seek sources of information that aren't wrapped in so much emotional reactivity. That way, you are left free free to feel how you really feel based on your own reactions to events with as full a picture as you can find."

As for me, when given a choice between hopeful, constructive, positive views and destructive, separatist, angry ones I'll choose the former, thank you."

I'm willing to listen/watch/ learn. Who or where do you recommend that we turn?

merrylander
06-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Rob as Diogenes...Well, sort of, anyway...(grin)

A guard sees this man in a nightshirt walking around Parliament Hill in Ottawa carrying a lantern;

"Here" says the guard "You can't go around dressed like that, who do you think you are?"

Man "I am Diogenes, I am looking for an honest man"

A week later a guard on Capitol Hill in DC sees a man in a nightshirt,

"Here" says the guard "You can't walk around here dressed like that, who do you think you are?"

Man "I am Diogenes, I am looking for my lamp"
:D

painter
06-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I think the problem with the characters mentioned (Rush, Savage, et al) is that people mistake them as credible sources for information which they really aren't. If people made just a little more effort to get actual information on events, they'd see pretty quickly that what these folks are are entertainers---people who are hired to push the buttons of the most base emotions such as fear, hatred, pride and feelings of separateness.

To do that, they dispense with such bedrock values as individual liberties, tolerance, and cooperation. Remember the expression "united we stand, divided we fall"? That does not mean clubbing everyone over the head until they agree with you, it means making room and getting along.

If you enjoy their kind of programming, I guess you can go right ahead. But the path they're leading you down can only end badly.

I'd challenge any regular listeners of these "entertainers" to unhook and seek sources of information that aren't wrapped in so much emotional reactivity. That way, you are left free free to feel how you really feel based on your own reactions to events with as full a picture as you can find.

As for me, when given a choice between hopeful, constructive, positive views and destructive, separatist, angry ones I'll choose the former, thank you.

And yes, I have spent hundreds of hours listening to these guys back when I drove for a living. They raise some really good points, but it's so wrapped in reactionary emotionality charged bullshit I eventually couldn't take it any longer.

Full agreement here. The Editor of a small town newspaper recently wrote about the anger people are displaying. Schools..Town Board meetings...service related positions and children.
I noticed the same. Doesn't come from the drinking water...does it? :rolleyes:

merrylander
06-25-2009, 12:42 PM
No idea where it is all coming from, but I suspect these radio guys are not helping.

Twodogs
06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
I think the truth is allways helpful.

painter
06-25-2009, 05:39 PM

Alas...we all believe what we want to hear. :)

I think it is not wise for an emperor, or a king, or a president, to come down into the boxing ring, so to speak, and lower the dignity of his office by meddling in the small affairs of private citizens.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

merrylander
06-26-2009, 07:35 AM

Sorry but that lot would not recognize truth if it bit them on the arse.:rolleyes:

Sandy G
06-26-2009, 07:36 AM
...A lot of 'em couldn't find Their Arse w/directions, either...

merrylander
06-26-2009, 10:44 AM
or a flashlight.:D

Twodogs
06-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Sorry but that lot would not recognize truth if it bit them on the arse.:rolleyes:

Can you give me an example where one of the aforementioned host told a lie? I remember once when Hanity reported a vote wrong from a congressman and spent about an hour apologizing, and noting where the erroneous news came from. You could tell he was genuinely upset about reporting the falsehood. It seems that the left always attacks a person's integrity when they don't agree with their politics, and or feels threatened by them. I'm not saying that it's a bad tactic though, because it's been working quite well. I'll do some looking around to see if I can find a lie too.

merrylander
06-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Not so much a lie (though some would argue) but the way they shape the truth comes close.

OvenMaster
06-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Just about all radio talk show hosts make my blood boil. I make a concerted effort to never turn them on. Thank God that gasbag Limbaugh is considered "entertainment" and not to be taken seriously.

What grinds my gears about him is that he's all hot air and no action. If he's so GD unhappy with how things are being run, then by all means he should run for office himself and put his money where his big mouth is.