PDA

View Full Version : Interesting OpEd in WaPo.

merrylander
09-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Harld Meyerson's OpEd piece had some interesting stats;

US GDP has dropped about 1% compared to 2% in France and Germany and 5% in Britain and Japan. But U.S. unemployment has dropped about 5% compared to1% in France and Japan and 2% in Britain but in Germany unemployment dropped

Meanwhile corporate profits are up nearly 85% while healthcare costs for employees are up 13.7% for employees but down nearly 1% for employers and wages have barely moved.

They want to know why so many people are unemployed? Don't look at the Whitehouse, look in the boardrooms.

E.J. Dionne's OpEd on the death of the unions probably explains a lot. Teabaggers want to take the nation back and the corporations agree with them - back to the sweatshops and the Teapot Dome days.

Oh Yeah, Happy Labour Day - to honour honest labour but don't expect to find any honesty in corporate boardrooms.

noonereal
09-06-2010, 09:33 AM
this is all well and fine but try getting the teabaggers to
1) read this
2) understand this
3) believe this
4) act on it

finnbow
09-06-2010, 09:34 AM
this is all well and fine but try getting the teabaggers to
1) read

Fixed that for ya.

noonereal
09-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Fixed that for ya.

Now Pat, that is a little cynical

I like it :D

finnbow
09-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Now Pat, that is a little cynical

What???!!! Me cynical? How dare you speak the truth!!! :D

IMHO, if you live in the DC media market and aren't cynical, I question if you have a pulse. Having worked in the headquarters of three Federal agencies only adds to it.:(

BlueStreak
09-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Harld Meyerson's OpEd piece had some interesting stats;

US GDP has dropped about 1% compared to 2% in France and Germany and 5% in Britain and Japan. But U.S. unemployment has dropped about 5% compared to1% in France and Japan and 2% in Britain but in Germany unemployment dropped

Meanwhile corporate profits are up nearly 85% while healthcare costs for employees are up 13.7% for employees but down nearly 1% for employers and wages have barely moved.

They want to know why so many people are unemployed? Don't look at the Whitehouse, look in the boardrooms.

E.J. Dionne's OpEd on the death of the unions probably explains a lot. Teabaggers want to take the nation back and the corporations agree with them - back to the sweatshops and the Teapot Dome days.

Oh Yeah, Happy Labour Day - to honour honest labour but don't expect to find any honesty in corporate boardrooms.

Been saying it for years, Rob. Tell everyone you meet this and they will think you are nuts, or stupid. The guys in the boardroom are the good guys who create jobs. Only the government screws people and causes unemployment. Didn't you know that?
As David Broderick , former chairman of U.S. Steel said back in 1981 as he announced the closing of dozens of mills across the nation; "What is everybody so angry about? I'm on the side of the angels here.":rolleyes:

Happy Labor Day! And remember; "All honest work is honorable work."

Dave

piece-itpete
09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Does anyone really believe we're going back to sweatshop days?

Wouldn't you need things like factories for that? :D

Pete

noonereal
09-07-2010, 10:46 AM

Pete

if government repealed labor rules do you think we would not?

merrylander
09-07-2010, 10:52 AM
if government repealed labor rules do you think we would not?

What labour rules? I think Chao threw them all out. The only thing here that ever protected workers were the unions and they have been slowly killed off.:rolleyes:

I was watching the story of Mott's in New York, they recently became a subsidiary of Dr. Pepper-Snapple. The CEO cut everyone's wages so tthey went out on strike. The smiling bastard said they were making too much money, but he did not say one word about his obscene $6,500,000 salary.

d-ray657
09-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Wouldn't you need things like factories for that? :D

Pete

No we need plenty of cheap labor to clean up at the nice restaurants, to clean the banks and executive offices, to wash the limos, to build yachts, to do lawns, to clean mansions, to provide security for the gated communities, and to make sure that the plebians are out by nightfall, to change light bulbs (cause they'll be damned if some pip-squeak president is going to tell them what kind of light bulbs they can use), and anything necessary to make sure that the top 1% are comfortable.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
What labour rules? I think Chao threw them all out. The only thing here that ever protected workers were the unions and they have been slowly killed off.:rolleyes:

I was watching the story of Mott's in New York, they recently became a subsidiary of Dr. Pepper-Snapple. The CEO cut everyone's wages so tthey went out on strike. The smiling bastard said they were making too much money, but he did not say one word about his obscene $6,500,000 salary.

and this is why teabagers love unbridled capitalism? :confused: