PDA

View Full Version : The humanity

finnbow
09-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Generally, I'm opposed to the death penalty. Shit like this make me reconsider my views, however.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/tom-jackman/fairfax-homicide-linked-to-roa.html?hpid=newswell

Boreas
09-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Generally, I'm opposed to the death penalty. Shit like this make me reconsider my views, however.

It doesn't make me rethink my position on the death penalty but why are they only charging him with 2nd Degree Murder?

John

d-ray657
09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
It doesn't make me rethink my position on the death penalty but why are they only charging him with 2nd Degree Murder?

John

That's a good question. There is no question that it was premeditated, and without justification. I dunno, maybe the DA doesn't like speed bumps either.

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
09-13-2010, 08:55 PM
That's a good question. There is no question that it was premeditated, and without justification. I dunno, maybe the DA doesn't like speed bumps either.

Regards,

D-Ray

I'd go with 1st Degree and 2 counts of attempted murder.

John

noonereal
09-13-2010, 10:17 PM
a speed bump??

good God.

merrylander
09-14-2010, 07:53 AM
It's VA, what can I tell you. Meanwhile they are getting ready to execute a woman for having her husband murdered, but the two perps who actually did the deed got life, so they will be out in 20 years.

BlueStreak
09-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Yeah, they have a twisted way of looking at things 'round here.

Dave

d-ray657
09-14-2010, 06:38 PM
It's VA, what can I tell you. Meanwhile they are getting ready to execute a woman for having her husband murdered, but the two perps who actually did the deed got life, so they will be out in 20 years.

While I don't favor execution, I can see the logic behind giving a harsher sentence to one who solicits a murder. Not only is it a cowardly act, it also precludes the opportunity of one's conscience stopping a person short of acting upon the desire to see someone dead.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
09-15-2010, 06:59 AM
While I don't favor execution, I can see the logic behind giving a harsher sentence to one who solicits a murder. Not only is it a cowardly act, it also precludes the opportunity of one's conscience stopping a person short of acting upon the desire to see someone dead.

Regards,

D-Ray

The only problem is that there is some testimony that suggests it was the perps who somehow conned her into the deal, she apparently is not mentally quite all there.

d-ray657
09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
The only problem is that there is some testimony that suggests it was the perps who somehow conned her into the deal, she apparently is not mentally quite all there.

I was speaking as a general rule, and your facts point out the problem with general rules. Kind of like the general rule that red eyes suggest drug use (when they can also suggest dealing with a personal tragedy).

Regards,

D-Ray

Combwork
09-15-2010, 11:18 AM

Regards,

D-Ray

I'm not sure I follow that; the killers also had "the opportunity of one's conscience stopping a person short of acting upon the desire to see someone dead." but when it came to it, they chose to kill the victim.

Boreas
09-15-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure I follow that; the killers also had "the opportunity of one's conscience stopping a person short of acting upon the desire to see someone dead." but when it came to it, they chose to kill the victim.

I think what Don's saying is that the person who does the hiring is never confronted with by the necessity of actually performing the deed. They don't have to pull the trigger, plunge the knife in, etc.

When one isn't actually required to do the deed it in a way absolves them (in their own minds) of the guilt of having actually performed the deed.

John