PDA

View Full Version : The Buy American Thread

Twodogs
06-28-2009, 02:01 PM
How about a thread where we can pool our knowledge of what and where to buy American made products. I'll start us off;

Redwing and Carolina still have USA made boots, but be careful, they are not ALL made here. You have to look for the Union Label on the tongue. The USA ones also have small American flags down by the laces.

Key still sells USA made clothing, but again, make sure it's their USA "line".

KR Audio for American audio tubes.

Some of Flukes meters are still made in Everett Washington.

That's a start, and it would also be interesting to know what oil companies use domestic oil, if anyone knows.

merrylander
06-28-2009, 02:30 PM
What is the refiner that starts with M(arathon - just remembered), I believe most of their crude oil comes from US and Canada. Delta and Kohler still make faucets here. BrassCraft makes those small valves you use for toilets and taps here, got some at Home Depot for replacements. Panasonic makes phones in Mexico which is about as close as you are going to get because all the baby bells have theirs made in China. (I am going to be on Verizon's shit list as I sent them a nastygram with a copy to the PSC - 5 days to repair a phone line - rediculous.) Our Chev Impalas were made in Canada and that works for me. I'll post other names as they occur to me.

soundhound
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
sad that this list is so short.

i'm now 45. i can remember a day if a product said "made in hong kong", i automatically equated it with junk. cheaply manufactured, poorly crafted garbage. i didn't want it. that was a time when "made in the usa" was proudly displayed on the goods that i bought. if i saw the good ole american flag on a product, i equated that with quality manufacture and pride in workmanship.

here's what's up:

because people in other countries are willing to work for much lower pay and no benefits, manufacturers are going to continue to exploit them.

because it is cheaper to buy land and construct factories in other countries, manufacturers are going to continue doing it, there instead of here.

because goods can be produced in other countries free from the constraints of environmental legislation, which is certainly much cheaper, manufacturers are going to continue to pollute them without mercy.

because of free trade agreements, goods can be produced overseas and brought to this country with few penalties such as tariffs, duties, customs fees, etc. good for business, bad for the country.

the combination of these factors and others makes it more profitable to manufacture overseas and ship it here than it is to make it here.

and the average american consumer has little concern for "made in the usa" anymore. i remember watching commercials on tv such as "look for the union lable" that promoted the "buy american" spirit. i don't think a renewed public service promotion would be a bad idea.

Sandy G
06-29-2009, 12:42 PM
All else being equal, of course I would much rather "Buy American" than buy something made elsewhere. I HATE not even being given the choice anymore-Thank you, WallyWorld, for killing the local hardware store where you usually could buy "Cheap, better, or best"- Now you get Made in China crap or not at all...

merrylander
06-29-2009, 03:26 PM
I guess in today's attitudes you dare not say "look for the union label". What puzzles me is don't people realize we are in a race to the bottom? Globalization is now touted as a "good thing" - good for who? Smoot HHawley is maybe going too far but dammit if companies want to be regarded as "good citizens" then bloody well act the part. I guess Gordon Gekko made his mark - "Greed is good". There was a shirt manufacturer in Canada (Forsyth) (may still be there) whose motto was "No one ever regretted buying quality." They had a white on white dress shirt that I only outgrew as I simply could not wear it out. Now since the water from our well is slightly acid I have to replace the goosneck in the master bathroom shower periodically because all I can find is the Chinese crap made out of rice paper - well they call it brass.

We have the G8 trading nations, let's trade with them and tariff the helll out of the rest.

***News flash Madoff got 150 years, now for the AIG gang.***

Grumpy
06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Rebuilding our chevelle has left us in a very precarious position. When it comes to the motor finding made in the US parts is a little easier.

Dart engineering
Edelbrock

Both are still made right here in the good ole US of A

Now when it came to replacement sheet metal all of the dies were sold by GM and the only place they are stamping them is in Taiwan. Sadly quality is really hit or miss.

Twodogs
06-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Brinkman Flashlights (Maglite)

Charles
06-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Let's not forget Smith & Wesson, Ruger, and Vaughan...the finest hand tools you can buy, their hammers are incredible. Not too sure where Moen faucets are made, but they're pretty damn good.

Merrylander, it's interesting that you point out that your water is corrosive...I just met another person from Maryland who claims that the water out there will eat copper water lines. As far as your shower head arms going bad, I've never seen this happen unless someone gets rough with them, or hangs a shower caddy full of stuff on them, which will cause them to break off.

Have to admit, the boiler and shutoff valves, blk iron and galvanized pipe fittings, freeze faucets, etc from China are nothing but junk. I also understand that they produce fake grade five bolts.

But some of their stuff is pretty good.
Chas

Sandy G
06-29-2009, 07:52 PM
What about Colt ? A goodly portion of Berettas are made in Maryland...Then there's Thompson/Center, FNH/South Carolina, & there's Barrett over in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, not TOO far away from me. A few years ago, guess what was the 2nd largest US export after Boeings ? Tobacco products....US cigarettes, love 'em or hate 'em, sell VERY well overseas. We printed the home sweet hell outta "export" labels...Buicks, Cadillacs, & Chevys sold pretty well in China-Buicks especially. There were a couple models that were "China only"-had no counterparts here. I don't know if that's still going on since the troubles GM's been having-But China was a bright spot on an otherwise very bleak picture for GM.

Charles
06-29-2009, 08:27 PM
What about Colt ? A goodly portion of Berettas are made in Maryland...Then there's Thompson/Center, FNH/South Carolina, & there's Barrett over in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, not TOO far away from me. A few years ago, guess what was the 2nd largest US export after Boeings ? Tobacco products....US cigarettes, love 'em or hate 'em, sell VERY well overseas. We printed the home sweet hell outta "export" labels...Buicks, Cadillacs, & Chevys sold pretty well in China-Buicks especially. There were a couple models that were "China only"-had no counterparts here. I don't know if that's still going on since the troubles GM's been having-But China was a bright spot on an otherwise very bleak picture for GM.

my beloved Colt's. Sad thing is, Colt doesn't make much of anything anymore, think the .45 and the AR are about it. I did forget Thompson Center...1st class firearms. And Barrett, didn't he move his operations to Tennessee after California outlawed .50's for civilians?

Always was a Buick fan myself. Always figgered folks who bought them Cattleracks were just puttin' on a little too much of the dog. 'Sides, some of 'em was ugly as hammered shit.

Favorite all time car was a '65 Buick Skylark two door hardtop w a 355 Wildcat...which was really a HP 300 CID mill, 11-1 compression, 240 HP, 360 FT...ran like a striped assed ape for such a little motor. Hardly a day went by that I didn't have the speedometer pegged at 120, which is plenty fast for these crooked little Ozark back roads.

Then the do gooders lowered the speed limit to 55...

Chas

Twodogs
06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
I collected Buick muscle for years, and got out about 4 years ago. Coolest one I ever had was a 64 Riviera with factory dual 4s on a 425 Wildcat. Man what a ride, FM radio, posi, the works.

Combwork
06-30-2009, 03:15 AM
Regretably this is also the case in the U.K. I used to buy special order steel pins for re-pinning musical box cylinders from a company in Bradford called Pinco. Made in the U.K., sold in the U.K. Then some bean counter had the bright idea of selling all their production equipment (highly modified grinders, impossible to replace) to India. Labor costs were much lower; the idea was to buy back the finished products which even after delivery and customs charges would have been cheaper than making them here. Problem was that having got the equipment the Indian company went bust. Scratch Pinco; the last remaining pin manufacturer left in Britain. Now I have to buy pins made in Germany.

Question. Are there any TV's still made in the U.S.A? A few years back I visited a friend in Muncie, Indiana. She had two TV's; one a huge Magnivox in a beutifull wood case, the other a Sony. When it was working, the Magnivox produced a lousy picture and smelt hot. The Sony? Reliable and watchable. Guess which one we used?

Sorry about the lousy spelling, I've had to switch to Firefox and although it has all the bells and whistles imaginable, one thing I can't find is a spellchecker.

merrylander
06-30-2009, 07:18 AM
The water her IS acidulous and since I mentioned those damn Chinees goosenecks made from rice paper guess what happened - when I took my shower it leaked into the wall. I bought two when I replaced that one so I was able to get the shower back in service. It is a real PITA because the gooseneck breaks off and leave a small piece in the fitting, getting it out involves an awl, a hammer and long nose pliers. I must research whether or not a plastic (threaded) goosneck is available.

Our neighbor whose well is only about 30 or 40 feet deep had to replace all their copper piping. Our well is 300 feet deep so maybe the earth filters out more acid at that depth.

Grumpy
06-30-2009, 07:36 AM
I don't think there are any TV plants left in the US are there ?

What about Ruger. Are they still being made in Arizona.

I think Benjamin Sheraton Airguns are still made in Wisconsin but would not bet money on that.

Sandy G
06-30-2009, 08:28 AM
IIRC, Ruger has plants in Arizona, Connecticut, & New Hampshire. Sony DID assemble TVs for awhile in California, but that's been ages ago... As far as making a TV from start to finish, no, I don't think that's done here anymore.

painter
06-30-2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.americansworking.com/

Twodogs
06-30-2009, 06:01 PM

Outstanding! Anyone else notice that these brands we have mentioned are all the best quality stuff available. I still put up Americans against any worker in the world. If only the government would get out of their way.

Charles
06-30-2009, 06:16 PM
The water her IS acidulous and since I mentioned those damn Chinees goosenecks made from rice paper guess what happened - when I took my shower it leaked into the wall. I bought two when I replaced that one so I was able to get the shower back in service. It is a real PITA because the gooseneck breaks off and leave a small piece in the fitting, getting it out involves an awl, a hammer and long nose pliers. I must research whether or not a plastic (threaded) goosneck is available.

Our neighbor whose well is only about 30 or 40 feet deep had to replace all their copper piping. Our well is 300 feet deep so maybe the earth filters out more acid at that depth.

Next time you have to replace a gooseneck get an easy out, I carry one in my plumbing kit. I don't think you can thread any kind of plastic worth a shit.

Actually, the shower arm is made from chrome plated brass, although I have seen some white ones. I'll be more than happy to send you a chrome Moen at no cost, I've a pile of them, just PM me an address. Can't help you with brushed nickel or bronze.

It still sounds to me like someone slipped and grabbed the shower head, or stressed it in some way. They're generally pretty tough.

Chas

Charles
06-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Painter, that is a good link, reminded me of my Weber Kettle...well seasoned by now. What can I say, I'm a charcoal man.

You'll have to pry that old Weber out of my cold, dead hand, once you pry the GP100 out of the other.

Chas

Sandy G
06-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Outstanding! Anyone else notice that these brands we have mentioned are all the best quality stuff available. I still put up Americans against any worker in the world. If only the government would get out of their way.

Hehehehehe...In the late '70s thru '92, my company belonged to Dennison Mfg. Co, an "Office Products" supplier out of Framingham, Mass. They were into EVERYTHING, pens, Carter's Ink, but one thing they made that EVERYBODY knows about are the little tiny re-inforcements that kids put around the holes in notebook paper...The also had Therimage, a heat-setting decalcomania that went on soft bottles, like French's Mustard & a LOT of hair-care & related products. They bought us because WE printed labels, too, & they thought they could utilise our capacity. Didn't really work out that way, our presses were 36" web width, & Therimage works best on narrow-web presses, no more than 20" wide tops. Their pressmen & engineers never could get Therimage to run faster than 2-300 feet a minute, which is dreadfully slow. They put up a narrow-web press at our place, & us dumb ol' hillbillies who didn't know Jack Schitt about printing-so THEY thought, anyhow, soon had it running along at 4-500 feet a minute...With better register, less ink spots, etc to boot...I always kinda liked that...Stickin' it to a bunch of arrogant New England Yankees...Mbwahahahaha...

merrylander
07-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Next time you have to replace a gooseneck get an easy out, I carry one in my plumbing kit. I don't think you can thread any kind of plastic worth a shit.

Actually, the shower arm is made from chrome plated brass, although I have seen some white ones. I'll be more than happy to send you a chrome Moen at no cost, I've a pile of them, just PM me an address. Can't help you with brushed nickel or bronze.

It still sounds to me like someone slipped and grabbed the shower head, or stressed it in some way. They're generally pretty tough.

Chas

I think that I need to get a 1/2" NPT tap and clean out the elbow a bit as the new gooseneck only went in about three turns, though it was quite hard getting the last quarter turn, I wrapped it with teflon tape first. The new one I put is was made in Taiwan and I usually found them to be better that the mainland bunch.

Thanks for that site, painter, I added it to my favourites.

OvenMaster
07-01-2009, 01:07 PM
.I always kinda liked that...Stickin' it to a bunch of arrogant New England Yankees...Mbwahahahaha...
I like you too, Sandy. :D I just wish I could find that grinning middle finger smiley. LOLOL

Sandy G
07-01-2009, 01:40 PM
I like you too, Sandy. :D I just wish I could find that grinning middle finger smiley. LOLOL

Present company excepted, of course, Tom...There WAS a lot of friendly-and SOMETIMES-a bit "testy" rivalry between the Framingham bunch & the Rogersville crew...The biggest problems we had were w/some of the manager types they sent down...Some of them WERE very antagonistic, & thought we were all a bunch of "Deliverance" types. We WERE, but once they got down here, & found out we didn't really bite-Too hard, anyway-things got better. I had to go up there a few times, & they couldn't have been nicer to me, though. Once I went up there in January, landed at Logan, by the time we got to F'ingham there was 22" of snow on the ground...I told 'em I appreciated the honor & all, but they coulda saved it for someone else...Damstuff wasn't even good snow-Very dry & dusty, you couldn't make a decent snowball outta it...Bigest thing I hated was I NEVER really got to see Boston- Typically, we'd land at Logan, haul @ss out to F'ingham, spend 2 or 3 days holed up in a hotel or at 300 Howard Street, which was where Dennison's headquarters was & then back to Logan & home. Once, I DID get the gal driving the limo to go thru town, she showed me Faneul Hall, The Constitution, the stadium, & where The Big Dig was. I was in their Purchasing Group, & once I hosted our group's meeting, I REALLY tried to "put on the Dog" for them-We have a "colonial" hotel-Actually, a "Jacksonian" era hotel, it was built in 1824, & I rented out the whole thing-all 10 rooms, & told the chef there to do his damndest. I think they were impressed...(grin)

Charles
07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Hehehehehe...In the late '70s thru '92, my company belonged to Dennison Mfg. Co, an "Office Products" supplier out of Framingham, Mass. They were into EVERYTHING, pens, Carter's Ink, but one thing they made that EVERYBODY knows about are the little tiny re-inforcements that kids put around the holes in notebook paper...The also had Therimage, a heat-setting decalcomania that went on soft bottles, like French's Mustard & a LOT of hair-care & related products. They bought us because WE printed labels, too, & they thought they could utilise our capacity. Didn't really work out that way, our presses were 36" web width, & Therimage works best on narrow-web presses, no more than 20" wide tops. Their pressmen & engineers never could get Therimage to run faster than 2-300 feet a minute, which is dreadfully slow. They put up a narrow-web press at our place, & us dumb ol' hillbillies who didn't know Jack Schitt about printing-so THEY thought, anyhow, soon had it running along at 4-500 feet a minute...With better register, less ink spots, etc to boot...I always kinda liked that...Stickin' it to a bunch of arrogant New England Yankees...Mbwahahahaha...

Ya know Sandy, th' war's been over fer 150 years. Even I quit runnin' people with Kansas plates offa the road.

Never did figger out why they thought honkin' that damn horn was gonna do 'em any good.

Chas

OvenMaster
07-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Present company excepted, of course, Tom...
Of course! :)

Grumpy
07-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Lets sticky this thread.

Grumpy
07-03-2009, 01:44 PM
http://www.kimballmidwest.com/ Found this link on a chevelle site I hang on. They say 85% of their hardware is US made. Thats nearly unhead of when trying to find simple things such as nuts and bolts.

Twodogs
07-03-2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.kimballmidwest.com/ Found this link on a chevelle site I hang on. They say 85% of their hardware is US made. Thats nearly unhead of when trying to find simple things such as nuts and bolts.

They are now in my favorites.:)

merrylander
07-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Mine also.

BlueStreak
10-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Hills Bros., MJB, Chock Full o' Nuts, Master Chef, Chase & Sanborn, Market Pantry, Kirkland, Javana, Dunkin Donuts, Albertsons and Meijer brand coffees are all American processed and packaged right here at my plant in Suffolk, Virginia. We sure would appreciate your business.

(Hope I didn't break any rules.)

Dave

merrylander
10-22-2009, 07:15 AM
As long as you don't do Starbucks, someone needs to tell them that you roast the beans, you don't burn them.

Grumpy
10-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Coffee, yuk. Never did get the stuff. I'm a tea type guy.

Boreas
11-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Thank you, WallyWorld, for killing the local hardware store where you usually could buy "Cheap, better, or best"- Now you get Made in China crap or not at all...

Once upon a time Wal-Mart advertised that every product they sold was made in America. How quaint!

John

painter
11-02-2009, 09:31 PM

devoid
02-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Could we use this thread to build a database / sticky? I'd love to have a list that can point me to what I'm looking for. If we stay focused and get a little momentum going we can get our national economy moving in the right direction.

I had to breakdown the other day and buy consumables (shoes, bed sheets and tee shirts). I was happy enough I did it online, making the transport of my goods more efficient. But if I'd thought of it, I would've sought US manufacture too. I wonder about clothes, for example. They're low tech. Easy to manufacture. There's lots of people who'd like a job. OK, so it wouldn't pay much but we need to get unstuck from these highly successful pipe dreams and live within our collective means.

I'd also like to try to buy from my local area.

I could probably do more with this thread but I'm so beat right know from work all day I can't make much good for myself at this point in the day. I'm trapped in my own lifestyle.

merrylander
02-12-2010, 07:18 AM
There are American made clothes but you will pay a bit more. Florence always asks where they were made when buying for our granddaughters. Takes her longer to shop because she has to check the labels for 'country of origin'.

JJIII
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
There are American made clothes but you will pay a bit more. Florence always asks where they were made when buying for our granddaughters. Takes her longer to shop because she has to check the labels for 'country of origin'.

Good for her. :)

BlueStreak
02-12-2010, 11:41 AM
And American made audio gear..........lest we forget. I try to buy as much of that as possible.:D

Dave

d-ray657
02-12-2010, 02:10 PM
And American made audio gear..........lest we forget. I try to buy as much of that as possible.:D

Dave

What are some of those brands?

Regards,

D-Ray

JCricket
05-21-2010, 06:53 AM
As a former avid amatuer astronomer, my first thoughts went to telescopes.
here is a list:
Televue
astrophysics
discovery
TEC
D&G

All of these have incredible reputations. They cost a bit more, but they far surpass anyting from celestron, meade, or orion.

I am not 100% certain the optics in the televue, and TEC are made here. But everything else in them and the other scopes are made here.

Just an fyi, astrophics will set you back about $4k for a 4" scope. Compare that to a $250 dollar scope from china. But, Roland Christian(astrophysics) has about a four year waiting list to get one of his as well.

djv8ga
06-24-2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/about.html

BlueStreak
06-25-2010, 12:57 AM
As a former avid amatuer astronomer, my first thoughts went to telescopes.
here is a list:
Televue
astrophysics
discovery
TEC
D&G

All of these have incredible reputations. They cost a bit more, but they far surpass anyting from celestron, meade, or orion.

I am not 100% certain the optics in the televue, and TEC are made here. But everything else in them and the other scopes are made here.

Just an fyi, astrophics will set you back about $4k for a 4" scope. Compare that to a $250 dollar scope from china. But, Roland Christian(astrophysics) has about a four year waiting list to get one of his as well.

A friend of mine has an AMAZING Astrophysics 6" apocromatic refractor. But, at eleven grand, I'll never own one. I do own a few Televue eyepieces though. Nice stuff.

Dave

BlueStreak
06-25-2010, 12:59 AM
What are some of those brands?

Regards,

D-Ray

McIntosh
Magnepan
Vandersteen
Grado
Manley
SVS
Van Alstine
ARC
Martin-Logan

Just to name a few.

merrylander
09-16-2010, 02:51 PM
If you still buy incandescent light bulbs Sylvania still makes theirs here in the US of A.

Grumpy
09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Dang, im surprised anyones still making bulbs in the states. I'll keep that in mind.

merrylander
12-24-2010, 10:56 AM
This may help;

CarlV
02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Once upon a time Wal-Mart advertised that every product they sold was made in America. How quaint!

John

I still have yet to set foot in a Wal Mart. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/music.gif

Carl

BlueStreak
02-02-2011, 01:09 AM
I still have yet to set foot in a Wal Mart. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/music.gif

Carl

You aren't missing anything, but long lines, messy disorganized shelves and cashiers that look like they coundn't care less.

Dave

JJIII
02-02-2011, 05:40 AM
See what you're missing?

http://acidcow.com/pics/3730-funny_and_strange_people_in_walmart_35_pics.html

CarlV
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
You aren't missing anything, but long lines, messy disorganized shelves and cashiers that look like they coundn't care less.

Dave

Yeah, I don't get it. I did a little price checking and other than a sale items the Target and Kmart are often less expensive. They are nice and clean too. The Wal Mart has taken a bit of the local Kmarts biz though. That would really suck if it were to close because the K Mart seems to be the best of those two if you factored in employees who are friendly, helpful and seem to like working there.

See what you're missing?

http://acidcow.com/pics/3730-funny_and_strange_people_in_walmart_35_pics.html

Oh, well that changes things lol! :p

Carl

piece-itpete
02-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Dave

Back when Sam was still alive, if you asked a worker where something was they had to stop what they were doing immediately and take you to the product.

He'd be spinning in his grave.

Pete

merrylander
02-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Back when Sam was still alive, if you asked a worker where something was they had to stop what they were doing immediately and take you to the product.

Pete

Considering what his own kids did to the business he is probably at about 8000 RPM right now.

finnbow
02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Walmarts differ depending on where they are. The one in Germantown, MD (busy DC suburb) is like a trip to a Third World market. I wouldn't be surprised to see goats and chickens roaming around inside.

Less than 20 miles away, the one in Mt. Airy, MD (in a rural setting) is actually rather civilized. That said, the only thing I buy at Walmart is motor oil on occassion.

Also, the one in Germantown once had a big fishing and hunting department (it no longer does). However, being in the DC suburbs, there was no customer base for such items. I'd go in around annual inventory time and buy fishing lures, line, broadheads, etc., for 10-20% of retail. They virtually gave it away, rather than count it. All of this stuff was name brand (Rapala, Mepps, Trilene, Stren, Muzzy, etc.) as there aren't high quality Chinese knockoffs for these better outdoor brands (yet).

piece-itpete
02-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Lmao! Rob, that's a hell of a picture!

Pete

CarlV
02-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Pete
Colonel Sanders is another spinner, sad situation the way "KFC" totally trashed it.

Carl

Charles
02-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Walmarts differ depending on where they are. The one in Germantown, MD (busy DC suburb) is like a trip to a Third World market. I wouldn't be surprised to see goats and chickens roaming around inside.

Less than 20 miles away, the one in Mt. Airy, MD (in a rural setting) is actually rather civilized. That said, the only thing I buy at Walmart is motor oil on occassion.

Also, the one in Germantown once had a big fishing and hunting department (it no longer does). However, being in the DC suburbs, there was no customer base for such items. I'd go in around annual inventory time and buy fishing lures, line, broadheads, etc., for 10-20% of retail. They virtually gave it away, rather than count it. All of this stuff was name brand (Rapala, Mepps, Trilene, Stren, Muzzy, etc.) as there aren't high quality Chinese knockoffs for these better outdoor brands (yet).

Even the Chinamen will never improve on the Zeebeakco 202.

Maintenance consist of dunking it in the water, and it actually improves the function until it dries out. They're also still cheaper than dirt.

Chas

hillbilly
02-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Even the Chinamen will never improve on the Zeebeakco 202.

Maintenance consist of dunking it in the water, and it actually improves the function until it dries out. They're also still cheaper than dirt.

Chas

We each have a couple Zeb's, but I always outcatch the wife and kids even on days when I decide to just use my cane pole. Really pisses 'em off :D

Twodogs
11-09-2011, 04:42 PM
I recently joined Costco, and have been going there instead of Wal Mart. I would say there are a lot more opportunities to buy American at the Costco stores. I bought a couple packs of marino wool works socks and they were made in the USA with USA wool. You can actually wash the sons of beeches without ruining them like the cheap chinese ones at wally world. I line dry them in my shop, and they haven't shrunk a bit. It's amazing to me what we can get used to in the area of terrible quality and service. They had local stuff too, in the produce and beef / meat depts. I could not however find local milk, and the milk was only 1.99 a gallon, so I'll be looking into how they are doing that and may have to buy milk somewhere else.

At work, we got our new shirts and they were from Pakistan (at a Union Shop).:mad: We approached the boss and all volunteered to have the difference in price deducted from our checks so that we could continue wearing American clothes. He was very reseptive.:) I hope all Americans start doubling down on checking labels, and letting retailers know why they are not buying their foreign items.

Rex E.
11-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Colonel Sanders is another spinner, sad situation the way "KFC" totally trashed it.

Carl

Thank PepsiCo! Or who ever sold KFC to them.

d-ray657
11-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I recently joined Costco, and have been going there instead of Wal Mart. I would say there are a lot more opportunities to buy American at the Costco stores. I bought a couple packs of marino wool works socks and they were made in the USA with USA wool. You can actually wash the sons of beeches without ruining them like the cheap chinese ones at wally world. I line dry them in my shop, and they haven't shrunk a bit. It's amazing to me what we can get used to in the area of terrible quality and service. They had local stuff too, in the produce and beef / meat depts. I could not however find local milk, and the milk was only 1.99 a gallon, so I'll be looking into how they are doing that and may have to buy milk somewhere else.

At work, we got our new shirts and they were from Pakistan (at a Union Shop).:mad: We approached the boss and all volunteered to have the difference in price deducted from our checks so that we could continue wearing American clothes. He was very reseptive.:) I hope all Americans start doubling down on checking labels, and letting retailers know why they are not buying their foreign items.

Where's that rock on smiley? Good job TD.

Regards,

D-Ray

Bigerik
11-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Well done! If everyone did that the economy would be roaring along.

merrylander
11-10-2011, 02:23 PM

If you embarass easily you don't want to be with me or Florence when we are confronted with only Chinese crap in the stores. We ask - LOUDLY - don't you stock any American made (whatever it is).

Charles
01-10-2012, 03:31 PM
I buy most everything used, other than food.

Used food tastes like shit.

Chas

Wasillaguy
01-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Buying American made trucks has a huge impact. Not just manufacturing, but you'll also be keeping a local mechanic employed trying to keep it running!

BlueStreak
01-10-2012, 05:46 PM

I'll have to look into Costco, then. I bought some Dickies Heavy Duty Work socks at Walmart last night; Made in Pakistan. I went through every single sock package in the isle. Not a single item made in the USA. Sickening.

I should have realized it, though. We sell a lot of coffee to Costco. Including the large 48oz. cans of Kirkland. (Imagine that, a "three pound" can that actually weighs three pounds!).

Dave

BlueStreak
01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
I buy most everything used, other than food.

Used food tastes like shit.

Chas

And how would you know what shit tastes like?:p

Dave

hillbilly
01-10-2012, 08:33 PM
If you embarass easily you don't want to be with me or Florence when we are confronted with only Chinese crap in the stores. We ask - LOUDLY - don't you stock any American made (whatever it is).

I do that myself, Rob.

Not long ago my wife got tickled in Wal-Mart when I pulled that stunt looking for a T-55 torx that must have walked away from my toolbox. They had that T-55 in a set in Stanley, but sadly it was Taiwan. The guy looked me right in the eye and said, '' I have a job stocking these shelves and stay busy ''. I said, yeah that's true, but I feel better knowing that my money go's towards an American workers job making the tool, and not just the stocker. Two jobs are more helpfull to this country than one. That being said, I added coolent to my badly leaking truck in the parking lot and drove 45 miles the other direction to the nearest Sears. My wife said thats a waste of money acting like such, but that's just the hard headed sombitch I am knowing plenty of people in this country need work.

And you are right, a cheap tool can hurt you. It's bad enough to bust knuckles when an American tool breaks ( and sometimes it can't be helped ) .. but to use the cheapest quality tool is just asking for it.

Bigerik
01-10-2012, 10:43 PM
I do that myself, Rob.

Not long ago my wife got tickled in Wal-Mart when I pulled that stunt looking for a T-55 torx that must have walked away from my toolbox. They had that T-55 in a set in Stanley, but sadly it was Taiwan. The guy looked me right in the eye and said, '' I have a job stocking these shelves and stay busy ''. I said, yeah that's true, but I feel better knowing that my money go's towards an American workers job making the tool, and not just the stocker. Two jobs are more helpfull to this country than one. That being said, I added coolent to my badly leaking truck in the parking lot and drove 45 miles the other direction to the nearest Sears. My wife said thats a waste of money acting like such, but that's just the hard headed sombitch I am knowing plenty of people in this country need work.

And you are right, a cheap tool can hurt you. It's bad enough to bust knuckles when an American tool breaks ( and sometimes it can't be helped ) .. but to use the cheapest quality tool is just asking for it.

Good man!

bobabode
01-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Wearin' Redwing steeltoes, they last five times what the imported crap work boots you'll find at most retailers. Drive a Ford truck made in lower Canuckistan. Dickies are made in Mexico:mad:
Why do we import workers and export jobs? Deregulation and deunionization= deballing the middle glass. Once upon a time we protected the goose that laid the golden egg with tariffs & trade barriers.
I'm fucking tired of the rhetoric about job creators, it's simply manure. The favorite tactic used lately is a lock out. Anybody that works for Crystal Sugar (beet sugar refiner in the Red River valley) can tell you about that nasty business.
Closer to home, the city I live in gave half the city employees the pink slip while they explore outsourcing most city services. The budget shortfall they claimed is disputed by an independent auditor.

I really am disappointed in the average American, they refuse to vote, overwhelmingly. Personally, I would like to see drivers licenses tied to whether you vote or not. Maybe higher taxes for non voters since they are a burden on society. Coercive? You bet. Hell, you could call it a tax break and the Republicrats would line up behind it.

BlueStreak
01-25-2012, 04:14 AM
I'm tired of the party that's supposed to be standing up for the worker and the middle-class letting us down, that would be the Democratic Party. And the Republican Party who has the American worker convinced that the best way to protect his interests is to just shut up and do as he's told.

(Sorry but when some rich guy who constantly goes on about how corporations should be completely free to behave anyway they damn well please tells me he has my best interests in mind....I tend to think he's full of shit. I think he's eyeballing my chubby little paycheck and my "socialist" benefit package, multiplying that by the number of fellow employees I have and licking his chops---Wondering how much they'd pay him to help bring that down some. You should work hard at running the chicken farm, but you don't leave the coop door open for the friggin' fox, no matter how polite his manner or charming his smile.)

Oh, BTW. I went to Sears yesterday to buy a nutsplitter, some punches and a set of Vise-Grips. Everything but the Vise-Grips "Made in USA".

Vise-Grips are now made in China.

Dave

JJIII
01-25-2012, 05:44 AM
An interesting article I saw on another forum...

http://news.yahoo.com/why-apple-builds-iphones-everything-else-china-120700756.html

merrylander
01-25-2012, 08:23 AM
I find it somewhat hypocritical when people like Jobs complain about the lack of trained people when these same corporations move to a State that gives them tax holidays. You don't fund the schools and then bitch about them not turning out the people you need.

One other point, the complaint that it would take months to assemble such teams in this country when China does it in days, I'll take a bet that China does not have HR departments to get in the way.

BlueStreak
01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
One other point, the complaint that it would take months to assemble such teams in this country when China does it in days, I'll take a bet that China does not have HR departments to get in the way.

Excellent point.

We now have a three tier HR department. An HR Assistant, HR Representative and an HR Manager. A new hire must be interviewed by ALL THREE, after completing at least six months with the temp service.
And losers still manage to get through. So what's the point?
I love it when people try to claim there is less slow moving bureaucracy in the private sector.

Dave

bobabode
01-27-2012, 12:21 AM
+1 on Costco, been a member for 20+ years. Those shopping carts make me feel I'm 8 years old again. They're huge! A lot of their stuff is made overseas, too. I WILL NEVER SPEND A DIME OF MY MONEY IN WALMART, NEVER. If I could avoid Home Depot I would treat them the same way. I don't know how many are aware of the contract employees have to sign at HD to work there. You have to sign that you will not organize or be a party to union activities. The consequence is immediate dismissal and you also agree not to sue for such.

hillbilly
01-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Craftsman I'm no longer sure about. I've learned that Craftsman may have alot of USA made stock on the shelves, but only until it is depleted. That means once a tool needs to be warrenteed, you'll get an offshore replacement if it's one of the tools they no longer make here. Try to do the right thing and then learn this.. WTF gives?

merrylander
01-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Went into the local Sears looking for small needle nose pliers and dikes- made in China - thank you and goodbye.

Home Despot still caries made in USA if you look for it, but since thheir CEO says he is financially backing the GOP, screw you Jack, not with my money, so I drive to Lowes or the local ACE.

Big_Bill
02-25-2012, 01:47 PM
+1 on Costco, been a member for 20+ years. Those shopping carts make me feel I'm 8 years old again. They're huge! A lot of their stuff is made overseas, too. I WILL NEVER SPEND A DIME OF MY MONEY IN WALMART, NEVER. If I could avoid Home Depot I would treat them the same way. I don't know how many are aware of the contract employees have to sign at HD to work there. You have to sign that you will not organize or be a party to union activities. The consequence is immediate dismissal and you also agree not to sue for such.

I'm very surprised to hear this, I believed that an American can not sign away their Constitutional Rights ?

I guess D-Ray will have to chime in here ?

HD must have become part of North Korea.

Bill

Big_Bill
02-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Went into the local Sears looking for small needle nose pliers and dikes- made in China - thank you and goodbye.

Home Despot still caries made in USA if you look for it, but since thheir CEO says he is financially backing the GOP, screw you Jack, not with my money, so I drive to Lowes or the local ACE.

Like you Merry,

I have 50 years of Craftsman tools. Mostly because of their warranty, and the fact that they advertised that ALL Craftsman Tools were made in the U.S.A.. I'm glad that I will not need any new tools in my lifetime

Bill

merrylander
02-25-2012, 02:52 PM
I still have a collection of British Standard Whitworth (BSW) and British Stabdard Finethread (BSF) 1/2" drive sockets down in the basemant. Left over from my days of driving Hillmans and British Ford cars.

BlueStreak
02-25-2012, 05:11 PM

I'm very surprised to hear this, I believed that an American can not sign away their Constitutional Rights ?

I guess D-Ray will have to chime in here ?

HD must have become part of North Korea.

Bill

It's an old tactic, that used to be called a "Yellow Dog" contract. At one point, I believe it was found to be illegal. But the way labor law enforcement has been weakened in this country over the last few decades, they've probably found a way around it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-dog_contract

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norris-LaGuardia_Act

Dave

hillbilly
07-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Glad to see this. There may not be a store near me, but if enough people order then maybe they will expand.

100% Made In USA. :)

http://www.texasjeans.com/

whell
07-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Glad to see this. There may not be a store near me, but if enough people order then maybe they will expand.

Great prices too. Gotta love the "Conceal and Carry" jeans! :eek:

merrylander
07-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Made in the USA but where did the denim come from? We wanted a casual look for an older swivel rocker in the Playroom so we were going to have slip covers made in denim. Small problem, could not find US made denim locally or on the net. Got a nice US made fabric but it was too heavy for slipcovers so we looked at having it re-upholstered - $350.00! Bought a made in the USA recliner rocker for $300.

Rajoo
07-23-2013, 07:42 PM
I was browsing eye glass frames last week at Costco, and finally gave up and selected one that said "Handmade in China". At least it's handmade. :rolleyes:
Looks like the "Kirkland" house brand is mostly or all made in China also.

BlueStreak
07-23-2013, 07:47 PM
I was browsing eye glass frames last week at Costco, and finally gave up and selected one that said "Handmade in China". At least it's handmade. :rolleyes:

Except for the coffee. That's made in Suffolk, Virginia.:)

Dave

bobabode
07-23-2013, 07:57 PM

True but at least it ain't Wallyworld;). That's why we shop there.:)

I personally like, admire and respect the oldest civilization on this little blue ball rolling around in space. At least they have some of their priorities right in the oldest country. One family, one child isn't all that far out and as crazy as some of our loonier cousins here in Uhmerica like to make it out to be.

Charles
07-26-2013, 07:52 PM
I find it somewhat hypocritical when people like Jobs complain about the lack of trained people when these same corporations move to a State that gives them tax holidays. You don't fund the schools and then bitch about them not turning out the people you need.

I'll bet the EPA, the NLRB, the PTO, OSHA, and the Division of Insurance doesn't get it their way either.

Chas

bobabode
07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Bought some Carhartt work shorts yesterday. Made in Dearborn, Michiganistan.:)

Charles
07-26-2013, 10:40 PM

High roller...I buy Big Smith.

Or whatever I like at the Goodwill.

Chas

Rex E.
07-26-2013, 10:45 PM

I used to get mine at the outlet or the Bass Pro. Fair deals and a quality product.

Now when I was butchering I was getting $10 jeans from Wally World as we had the very first Super Wally World ever about 27 miles east of us. :rolleyes:

bobabode
07-26-2013, 11:00 PM
High roller...I buy Big Smith.

Or whatever I like at the Goodwill.

Chas

Patty got a look at the reciept and declared them sunday go to meeting shorts. :(

I usually buy Dickies at Orchard Supply. I was farting around the Army Navy store on a lunch break and saw 'em. So I splurged for once.:)

hillbilly
07-27-2013, 01:23 AM
I heard a factory in Smithville, TN got a contract supplying Military clothing but can't remember if they gave a starting date. Any news of more USA made products is good to hear.

sheltiedave
11-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Today I turned on my JuicyMusic Audio Blueberry preamp(made in California,) my NOSValves VRD amps(made in Michigan,) threw a record on my vintage Rek-O-Kut turntable(New York, New York,) with Shure RSC7 cartridge(Chicago, IL,) and listened to the tunes through my Klipsch(Hope, AK,) Thiel(Lexington KY,) and Altec(Anaheim, CA) speakers. Nothing wrong at all with American stereo gear.:eek:

bobabode
11-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Nice system Dave. Most of my stuff is also made in the USA. Magnavox 150s, JBL, Adcom, Vandersteen, Altec 604E, DCM.
I'm sure that some parts, (caps, tubes and such) are of foreign make but that's alright by me.:)

BlueStreak
11-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Well.......I built my speakers with the Zilchlab "Econowave" x-over and HF driver. I also built my passive pre--a Harry Haller design. And my amp is a Magnavox 9302. So, I guess you can say that much is American made.

But, the phono pre is a Pro-Ject-- Austria,
The Turntable is a Pro-Ject--Czech Republic,
Cartridge is a ClearAudio-- Germany,
Tape deck is a Revox-- Germany,
Tuner is a Magnum Dynalab-- Canada

I do have American speakers in the bedroom---ADS L710, driven by Luxman electronics-- Japan.

merrylander
11-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Oops, most of my systems are Yamaha based but as all of it arrived here in non-working condition I can say that it all was re-built in America.

d-ray657
02-06-2014, 08:17 AM
This last snowfall convinced me that I needed some new boots, so I picked up a pair of Red Wings, well-made in America, and a three pack of American-made wool socks to go underneath. In size 13, they look like a small truck.:o

Regards,

D-Ray

4-2-7
02-06-2014, 08:41 AM
This last snowfall convinced me that I needed some new boots, so I picked up a pair of Red Wings, well-made in America, and a three pack of American-made wool socks to go underneath. In size 13, they look like a small truck.:o

Regards,

D-Ray
Good D-ray keep your feet worm and other americans as well. I was just talking to Bulestreak last night about buying US goods. If everyone can pull together on this the US consumer will have the power to lift the economy.

Thread bookmarked, I'll add some things I learned to look for tonight.

piece-itpete
02-06-2014, 09:23 AM
The warehouse guys were I work swear by Red Wing.

Pete

icenine
02-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Since I gave away my Fisher 440T I do not have any American gear in stereo systems except for various speakers.

My Chinese made Event Studio Monitor 20/20s sound better than my American made Legacy and Altec Lansing Santana II speakers that is for sure.

CarlV
02-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Regards,

D-Ray

My sympathies, I have been a 13EEE guy since 1968.

Carl

icenine
02-06-2014, 10:53 AM
My coffee is American made usually!

Rajoo
02-22-2014, 12:26 PM
U.S. flags at military bases must be 100% American made

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/22/american-made-flags-military/5725165/

BorisTAnimal
06-07-2015, 08:11 PM
As a musician, specifically a bassist, my main concern is quality. I've mostly played Fender instruments in the thirty some odd years I've been playing. Having said that, I have experienced what a quality US made P-Bass vs say an Indonesian built Ibanez BTB feels. Although the quality of the Ibanez instruments wasn't all that bad, it just didn't feel "right" to me. I currently own two US made Fender basses (American Standard P and fretless J) and I use US made D'Addario strings.

BorisTAnimal
06-07-2015, 08:12 PM

CarlGunboats :D

LawDawg
06-07-2015, 08:20 PM
sad that this list is so short.

i'm now 45. i can remember a day if a product said "made in hong kong", i automatically equated it with junk. cheaply manufactured, poorly crafted garbage. i didn't want it. that was a time when "made in the usa" was proudly displayed on the goods that i bought. if i saw the good ole american flag on a product, i equated that with quality manufacture and pride in workmanship.

here's what's up:

because people in other countries are willing to work for much lower pay and no benefits, manufacturers are going to continue to exploit them.

because it is cheaper to buy land and construct factories in other countries, manufacturers are going to continue doing it, there instead of here.

because goods can be produced in other countries free from the constraints of environmental legislation, which is certainly much cheaper, manufacturers are going to continue to pollute them without mercy.

because of free trade agreements, goods can be produced overseas and brought to this country with few penalties such as tariffs, duties, customs fees, etc. good for business, bad for the country.

the combination of these factors and others makes it more profitable to manufacture overseas and ship it here than it is to make it here.

and the average american consumer has little concern for "made in the usa" anymore. i remember watching commercials on tv such as "look for the union lable" that promoted the "buy american" spirit. i don't think a renewed public service promotion would be a bad idea.

"IF" the Fair Tax is implemented, companies will no longer have an incentive to move their operations overseas....no need for cheaper tax loopholes. The US Government will be TOTALLY funded thru sales tax.....companies who have gone overseas will come back....

d-ray657
06-07-2015, 08:42 PM
As a musician, specifically a bassist, my main concern is quality. I've mostly played Fender instruments in the thirty some odd years I've been playing. Having said that, I have experienced what a quality US made P-Bass vs say an Indonesian built Ibanez BTB feels. Although the quality of the Ibanez instruments wasn't all that bad, it just didn't feel "right" to me. I currently own two US made Fender basses (American Standard P and fretless J) and I use US made D'Addario strings.

My son went half American made: A Warwick Corvette and a Peavey six string. He took my Gibson acoustic guitar - and did a helluva lot more with it than I ever did.

Regards,

D-Ray

BorisTAnimal
06-07-2015, 08:50 PM
My son went half American made: A Warwick Corvette and a Peavey six string. He took my Gibson acoustic guitar - and did a helluva lot more with it than I ever did.

Regards,

D-RayTruth be told, I also own a Samuel Shen SB80 Double Bass. Even though he is a Chinese violin maker, he's been based in Canada, from what I've read. And the quality and sensitivity of the instrument, lends itself well to pizzicato, as well as arco or bowed playing.

Grumpy
06-10-2015, 06:48 AM

Carl

Try 15 eee's :eek:

VanishingPoi
01-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Gosh, some of these threads are older than dirt.

Wasillaguy
03-09-2016, 03:43 PM
For blue jeans, I've been buying Buddy brand (no affiliation)for about 10 years now. Made in the U.S.A. from denim made in the U.S.A. from cotton grown in the U.S.A.
As good as any pair of Wrangler's or Levi's, with riveted pockets and all. In fact, maybe a bit better as the pockets are made of denim as well, rather than that thin weak white cotton cloth you're used to.
If you decide to give 'em a try, pay attention to their sizing instructions. It might not be the same as your "normal" size.

I believe there's a couple other companies making jeans in country, but I have no experience with any others.

JJIII
03-10-2016, 05:47 AM
Made here in Bristol.

http://lcking.com/

Chicks
07-07-2020, 04:54 PM
https://scontent.fmcc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/106703096_3350523738323923_7679885107886794032_n.j pg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=zs7-D4TIykMAX8_DdGG&_nc_ht=scontent.fmcc1-1.fna&oh=946e92a17d0db7622cb4b478df0251d3&oe=5F2898DD

mpholland
07-07-2020, 09:13 PM
Just what I needed today. An asshole defiling a good thread of an old dead friend. Thanks for that.

donquixote99
07-08-2020, 06:32 AM
This is a great thread to read to understand conservatives, including mpholland's post immediately above.