PDA

View Full Version : Someone agrees with me

merrylander
10-24-2010, 08:00 AM
The latest Time (November 1) has an article by Fareed Zakaria "Restoring the American Dream" - The grim reality is that technology and globalization are shattering the middle class.

Growth in real after tax income from 1979 to 2007

The bottom 20% grew by 16%

The top 20% grew by 95%

The top 1% grew by 281%

You would think they could at least kiss us while we are being screwed.:p

As the "Land of opportunity" we now are in 8th place behind Denmark, Norway, Finland, Canada, Sweden, Germany and France, and only marginally ahead of the U.K.:eek:

finnbow
10-24-2010, 08:45 AM
As the "Land of opportunity" we now are in 8th place behind Denmark, Norway, Finland, Canada, Sweden, Germany and France...

Ewww. They're all commies.:eek:

BlueStreak
10-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Which is precisely why we must give up more "entitlements" and let the people at the top share in the tax cuts. We've GOT to make sure we keep them satisfied..................................(Is that even possible?)

Dave

merrylander
10-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Ewww. They're all commies.:eek:

Not quite, Canada has that bunch of Republican wannabees in charge, unfortunately. The problem, as my son and I discussed, was the Liberals failure to select a leader with some street creds.:(

merrylander
10-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Which is precisely why we must give up more "entitlements" and let the people at the top share in the tax cuts. We've GOT to make sure we keep them satisfied..................................(Is that even possible?)

Dave

No . . . :p

merrylander
10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Jonathan Cohn writing in the New Republic; "Yes, a good work ethic will take you far. And I know many well educated professionals convinced that nobody works as hard as they do . . . But I've met many people at the bottom of the income ladder who work just as hard, for far less reward. Between 1980 and 2005, the richest 1% of Americans got more than four fifths of the country's income gains. Does anybody seriously believe that the other 99% didn't deserve to take home a much larger share?"

Without comment.

d-ray657
10-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Jonathan Cohn writing in the New Republic; "Yes, a good work ethic will take you far. And I know many well educated professionals convinced that nobody works as hard as they do . . . But I've met many people at the bottom of the income ladder who work just as hard, for far less reward. Between 1980 and 2005, the richest 1% of Americans got more than four fifths of the country's income gains. Does anybody seriously believe that the other 99% didn't deserve to take home a much larger share?"

Without comment.

But the other 99% weren't chosen by God to receive such riches.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
10-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Ah so . . .

piece-itpete
10-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Where is the middle class in there? Am I missing something?

Pete

merrylander
10-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Where is the middle class in there? Am I missing something?

Pete

Not missing a thing, the middle class is as extinct as the dodo bird.:p

piece-itpete
10-25-2010, 09:31 AM
BAM!

Pete