PDA

View Full Version : Theocracy waiting in the wings?

BlueStreak
11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Check it out.

http://blog.au.org/2010/11/16/white-house-plot-for-the-religious-right-will-2012-be-deja-vu-all-over-again/

Dave

merrylander
11-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Just what we need - not.

Devil's+voc8
11-17-2010, 07:54 AM
If money is god, we have always been a theocracy, and there is no foreseeable change.

piece-itpete
11-17-2010, 08:16 AM
We'll eat your baby Blue.

If you have any left after Bush! Lolol.

The founders make one reference to religion in the Constitution, while the entire thing is a blatant check on government power.

Our government will be subverted by - the government.

Pete

finnbow
11-17-2010, 08:27 AM
These type of people make my skins crawl. The Tea Party amuses me. The Religious Right disgusts me.

Fast_Eddie
11-17-2010, 08:36 AM
The Tea Party amuses me. The Religious Right disgusts me.

Huh. How do you make a distinction? Sarah Palin- speaking in tongues at her "church". Is she a Tea Party favorite, or a leader in the Religious Right?

finnbow
11-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Huh. How do you make a distinction? Sarah Palin- speaking in tongues at her "church". Is she a Tea Party favorite, or a leader in the Religious Right?

She's a skank of both stripes. When I spoke of disgust for the Religious Right, I mostly meant the Robertson, Falwell, Bob Jones, Ralph Reed, Tony Perkins, Michael Farris, and Ted Haggard types.

electronjohn
11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Wonder what their version of the burqa looks like?

Fast_Eddie
11-17-2010, 09:55 AM
...and Ted Haggard types.

Ted is a local story here, so I heard a very good deal about him. I have to honestly say I feel very sorry for him. People end up in those cult like churches, more often than not, due to decisions made for them when they were children. (I don't know that to be the case with Mr. Haggard, but would be shocked to learn otherwise.) So, through no fault of his own, he finds himself in a world with very specific rules. And he excels in this world to become a leader. Then, also through no fault of his own, he discovers that he is, well, a little different than many of the other folks in this word. He is *still* living though the very definition of "cognitive dissonance".

It’s hard to imagine what life must be like for him. Still clinging to a marriage that is obviously a sham. Still denying who he is even though it has been demonstrated to all the world. He is the only one who doesn’t see it. It has to be incredibly difficult. Not only that, but he lost his job and as I understand it is having a difficult time making ends meet. Plus, being a “true believer” he has to be worried that he has somehow jeopardized the one thing he has set as the most important element in his life. In the tally book of St. Peter, Ted has a pretty bad red mark. I hope he didn’t masturbate as a teen or there may be no saving him!

BlueStreak
11-17-2010, 10:36 AM

Yes, on both counts.

Dave

BlueStreak
11-17-2010, 10:43 AM
We'll eat your baby Blue.

If you have any left after Bush! Lolol.

The founders make one reference to religion in the Constitution, while the entire thing is a blatant check on government power.

Our government will be subverted by - the government.

Pete

I do and always will support keeping organized religion OUT of politics.
I want to keep a BLATANT check on the power of religious zealots, damn right I do. I want to keep them as marginal as possible. They can go have their silly delusions and magic hokus-pokus all they want, I don't care. But the minute anyone, even a Christian, tells me I have to do as he says, or "God" will come after me-----There's going to be a problem. I guarantee you that.

Dave

piece-itpete
11-17-2010, 11:18 AM
But if an atheist says you've gotta do something, it's OK?

Pete

Fast_Eddie
11-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Pete

He said "...or 'God' will come after me."

An atheist is unlikely to say you have to do somthing or God will come after you. If he does, he's probably pulling your leg.

piece-itpete
11-17-2010, 11:58 AM
I meant to add a ':p' :D

Pete

BlueStreak
11-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Pete

The difference is that if an Atheist tries to force me to do something the worst he can do is kill or torture me for refusing. Which is bad enough.

The religious zealot is trying to threaten me with eternal damnation, under the premise that he is the personal representative of the Almighty himself. And I'm not buying it.

Yes, I take issue with that. It is wrong on more than one level. I believe that God can speak for himself, and that men have have less than Godly motives. They seek power, wealth and the subservience of the common man.
And they try to do this in Gods name. Blasphemy at its worst.

Dave:)

Charles
11-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Ever ask a zealot to define God?

Chas

d-ray657
11-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Ever ask a zealot to define God?

Chas

No. If you did, what did you hear?

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-20-2010, 07:23 PM
No. If you did, what did you hear?

Regards,

D-Ray

I have. I screwed with the Jesus Freaks in Denver a couple of times because I didn't approve of their pious methods of abusing down on their luck drunks on Colfax street.

They weren't there to help the drunks, they were there to prove their moral superiority, and down in the mouth drunks were apparently the only people who would listen to them.

It's not so much what they said, as it is quite impossible to come up with a concise in a nutshell definition of God, especially for them. It was their reaction that was telling...they became enraged. I had one who definitely wanted to smite me, but apparently his love of his fellow man convinced him that God might not necessarily approve of him smiting a sunburned construction worker on Colfax St.

Peace brother,

Chas

Charles
11-20-2010, 07:30 PM
The so-called "religious right" composed of Christian fundamentalists (evangelical fanatics) and extremists, have hijacked the Republican party. They are not Christians, but the worst kind of political subversives. They are unethical and intellectually dishonest, their professed beliefs a perversion of Christ’s teachings, and their practices a corruption of the most basic tenets of Christian faith. They are, in short, pious frauds; they are anathema. It is they - not the Muslim terrorists - that pose the greatest threat to American democracy. They will be their own undoing; for it is they who have pushed the Republicans far from their traditional conservative values in order to impose their own radical agenda on the nation and the world. They shall succeed only in alienating true conservatives and causing a rift in the Republican party; which, ultimately, shall result in their political downfall.

Funny, I never thought most Christians were THAT bad.

Chas

Charles
11-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Politicized Christians pass more gas than gospel. They should keep their religion out of politics lest they sacrifice their faith for worldliness.

I suppose I'm a different kind of Christian.

Jesus told me to mind my own business, if I knew what was good for me.

Do not stand in the way of a sinner.

Chas

Charles
11-20-2010, 07:56 PM
How 'bout that fellers, I just broke 4,000 posts without breakin' a sweat.

Damn, I'm good!!!

Chas

d-ray657
11-20-2010, 08:43 PM

Damn, I'm good!!!

Chas

Didn't somebody say something about passing gas?:D

Congrats Chaz.

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657
11-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Politicized Christians pass more gas than gospel. They should keep their religion out of politics lest they sacrifice their faith for worldliness.

Politics used to advance the goals of Christianity and vice versa have always been problematic. The Crusades in the middle ages made it a deadly mix; the corruption of the Roman Catholic Church in the 17th-18th Centuries was probably inevitable. As far as the mix of political influence and religion, it seems that the Pharisees didn't care too much for Jesus.

When people think that they have a stranglehold on the truth they forget that we humans, including them, are not infallible. Somehow, I don't think a 21st century Jesus would attend Liberty University. He would probably wonder if some of the people who call themselves Christians were really listening to what He had to say.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
11-20-2010, 09:53 PM

Damn, I'm good!!!

Chas

we need to have major awards for the top posters! :D

BlueStreak
11-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Damn, I'm good!!!

Chas

I'm closing in on ya, better watch your six!

Dave

d-ray657
11-20-2010, 10:46 PM
some people

d-ray657
11-20-2010, 10:47 PM
get high post numbers

d-ray657
11-20-2010, 10:47 PM
by being post whores.

d-ray657
11-20-2010, 10:48 PM
But not me.:D

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-21-2010, 09:24 PM
What is it about Christians that the must proselytize their faith and propagate their religious beliefs? Are they so insecure - so uncertain of their creed - as to need to convert others to validate themselves? Surely, they must be of little faith that cannot rest assured while there are those that do not share their beliefs.

Surely, a man of your eloquence can figure it out.

Just a hint, it's all about feeling good about yourself, wouldn't you agree?

Chas

finnbow
11-21-2010, 10:06 PM
The writer George Bernard Shaw was once asked what he thought of Christianity. He paused to consider for a moment, and then, with a sly smile, answered: “I don't know; it might work if anyone ever tried it.”

On of his other quotes is a favorite. "Patriotism is, fundamentally, a conviction that a particular country is the best in the world because you were born in it."

merrylander
11-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Lloyd C. Douglass was the Anglican pastor in a small Quebec town, not far from where I grew up. His novel "Dr. Hudson's Secret Journal" was based on the passage that goes something like this.

"When you do good works, do them in secret and your Father shall reward you openly"

A very modest and good man was Douglass.

Charles
11-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Feeling good about yourself? I would think that antithetical to Christ’s teaching. Perhaps that is the problem with the Christian religion, viz. it’s egocentric, too hung up on individual salvation. It makes me wonder who are the true Christians? There are many that profess fervent religious beliefs, but few that practice them. How many have lived in imitation of the life of Christ? How many have followed his example? - Father Damien, Mother Teresa perhaps? There are many pretenders, but only a few saints to be found among all the pious frauds. The characteristic trait of Christ is selflessness, the rarest of all virtues. A true Christian does not proselytize, but performs good works; and does so anonymously, without fanfare or expectation of reward. I doubt that you find such persons in church counting their blessings. Indeed, one should be suspicious of those "Holier than Thou."

The writer George Bernard Shaw was once asked what he thought of Christianity. He paused to consider for a moment, and then, with a sly smile, answered: “I don't know; it might work if anyone ever tried it.”

No doubt, there are a lot of Christians who are bonkers, the snake kissers, the zealots, the one's who wish to enforce their beliefs on everyone else. Perhaps the worst of the lot are the ones who use religion as a cloak to hide their less than desirable behavior.

But the vast majority are just everyday slobs like you and I...at least like I. They know that they've fallen short, but do the best they can. Just everyday folks, and a pretty decent bunch, by and large.

I see no reason to pass judgment on them. As far as that goes, I see no reason to pass judgment on anyone, may not care for them, but I basically ignore them.

Now if they're stealing my teevee, or making a career out of giving me a hard way to go, I pass judgment.

I make 'em stop, if I can.

Chas

BTW, you have a most interesting moniker. Ever tried Busha Browne's Pukka Sauce? Nothing better on red beans and rice.

merrylander
11-23-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm with Chaz on this 'un.

d-ray657
11-23-2010, 07:59 AM
As a Christian, I would not want the government involved in religion. Government is the art of compromise, and I am not inclined to compromise on my religious beliefs, nor would I expect anyone else to. A government religion, that was diluted to accommodate a variety of religious practices would be no religion at all. The desire not to compromise on religious principles demonstrates how unworkable a religion-based government would be. Dogma would constantly be getting in the way of decisions that must be made. That would lead to either gridlock, or to the imposition of religious dogma in place of government administration.

Regards,

D-Ray

piece-itpete
11-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Pukka, a Christian can certainly feel good about himself. Even fallen, we are forgiven, chosen, and certain of a future in God's presence. That is good news indeed, truly a mystery worthy of awe.

D, your post reminds me of this, Rome offered to put Jesus in the Parthenon with the other gods. The Christians refused! The Romans considered them atheists.

Pete

noonereal
11-23-2010, 08:24 AM
a Christian can certainly feel good about himself.

I am a catholic and the above is most decidedly not true :(

piece-itpete
11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
I dunno noone, you look pretty happy ;)

If not, play the Vatican Rag until you feel better lol.

Pete

noonereal
11-23-2010, 08:57 AM
I dunno noone, you look pretty happy ;)

If not, play the Vatican Rag until you feel better lol.

Pete

yeah I am but that's because I found atheism! (not really, I am agnostic but most certainly do not believe in any man made explanation of life's beginning)

before that I lived in a world of guilt :D

piece-itpete
11-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Say 5 Hail Marys and see me in the morning :D

Pete

merrylander
11-23-2010, 09:23 AM
A point of view as expressed by a Franciscan Friar to us at one time;

"We call God Father for good reason, just as we as fathers may have occasion to be disappointed in the behaviour of our children we do not stop loving them. Why would He, who is so much better than we are, stop loving us?"

d-ray657
11-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Pukka, a Christian can certainly feel good about himself. Even fallen, we are forgiven, chosen, and certain of a future in God's presence. That is good news indeed, truly a mystery worthy of awe.

D, your post reminds me of this, Rome offered to put Jesus in the Parthenon with the other gods. The Christians refused! The Romans considered them atheists.

Pete

Yeah, and it seems like for quite awhile, the Christians didn't fare well with the Romans. Because there was an official set of religious beliefs, the Christian's failure to adopt those beliefs made them lion lunch. That's the problem I had with the protests about the cultural center. Gound Zero had become "holy ground." Thus there was no willingness to accept the construction near that site off a building that included the practice of another religion. Because of the nature of that "holy ground" people wanted to shut out an entire community of believers in another faith. Furtunately, it appears that reason has prevailed and those with responsibility in the matter have recognized the religious freedom we have.

Regards,

D-Ray

piece-itpete
11-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Interesting juxaposition D.

The Romans also thought of Christians as 'poisoners of wells and stealers of children'. We just think the radical Islamisists want to blow them up :eek:

Pete

Charles
11-23-2010, 11:10 AM
A point of view as expressed by a Franciscan Friar to us at one time;

"We call God Father for good reason, just as we as fathers may have occasion to be disappointed in the behaviour of our children we do not stop loving them. Why would He, who is so much better than we are, stop loving us?"

I agree.

But I'll bet he shakes his head and mutters under his breath a lot.

An awful lot!!!

Chas

d-ray657
11-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Interesting juxaposition D.

The Romans also thought of Christians as 'poisoners of wells and stealers of children'. We just think the radical Islamisists want to blow them up :eek:

Pete

But we know that the vast majority of Muslims, particularly the proponents of this cultural center, are not radical Islamists, right?

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657
11-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree.

But I'll bet he shakes his head and mutters under his breath a lot.

An awful lot!!!

Chas

Yeah, but every once in awhile, He probably wants to shout, "That's what I'm talkin' about!" More than likely, it will be about someone who quietly performs acts of kindness.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
11-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, but every once in awhile, He probably wants to shout, "That's what I'm talkin' about!" More than likely, it will be about someone who quietly performs acts of kindness.

Regards,

D-Ray

Someone sent me an amusing story about God dealing with his first children, Adam and Eve. The jist was if He could not control his children, what hope have we mere mortals got.:D

piece-itpete
11-23-2010, 11:46 AM
But we know that the vast majority of Muslims, particularly the proponents of this cultural center, are not radical Islamists, right?

Regards,

D-Ray

Of course. But if they tolerate the radicals ....

Choosing the right religion can be a tricky business. Take heed, for history records many - from the lowly to the high and mighty - that have come to bad ends for having the wrong one.

Indeed. It appears that for the moment those rules are suspended at least here, but will certainly not stay that way.

Pete

Charles
11-23-2010, 03:23 PM
The Garden of Eden was an mythical paradise in which ignorance was bliss. However, when Adam and Eve were banished from the garden for eating of the tree of knowledge, their ignorance was no excuse for violating God’s commandment. And ever since, their descendants, though the propagation of religious superstition, have been trying to make ignorance into a virtue.

Religion is for the snake kissers.

Most everyone needs a little faith from time to time.

You appear to be intelligent, educated, and strong. Tread lightly on those less fortunate, for many truly need help to carry on for another day.

Myself, when all I can roll are snake eyes, I pull a cork. Makes it all go away for awhile. Of course, whenever I'm rolling 7's, I feel that it calls for a celebratory drink.

Besides, a snort is good for the digestion.

My name is Chas, and I'm a drunk.

merrylander
11-23-2010, 03:38 PM
There is a time for celebrating, when it is appropriate to toast one’s happiness; and there is a time for sadness, when one may properly drown one’s sorrows in drink. Such occasions are few and far between; the rest of the time should be devoted to sober enterprise. To drink excessively is to be consumed by intoxication. The nectar of the gods is for the gods, and only rarely for mere mortals.

Well the Book does say He changed the water into wine.;)

Charles
11-23-2010, 05:06 PM
There is a time for celebrating, when it is appropriate to toast one’s happiness; and there is a time for sadness, when one may properly drown one’s sorrows in drink. Such occasions are few and far between; the rest of the time should be devoted to sober enterprise. To drink excessively is to be consumed by intoxication. The nectar of the gods is for the gods, and only rarely for mere mortals.

I reckon I'm my own tin god.

Chas

Charles
11-23-2010, 06:17 PM
The Roman Emperor Augustus was worshiped as a god in his lifetime. See Cassius Dio, LI, 20. Jesus was not made a god until after his death.

Wull, I always thought that Jesus was the son of god. Least that's what they taught me in Bible School.

Now I may be from Bugtussell, but I CAN differentiate between shit and beans.

And beans are always better with a splash of Pukka sauce.

Scotch bonnets truly are the nectar of the gods.

Chas

Know what buddy, you remind me of Pukka sauce. Fiery yet smooth.

Take care.

JJIII
11-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Know what buddy, you remind me of Pukka sauce. Fiery yet smooth.

Take care.

Now that's funny right there!:D

piece-itpete
11-24-2010, 07:55 AM
The Garden of Eden was an mythical paradise in which ignorance was bliss. However, when Adam and Eve were banished from the garden for eating of the tree of knowledge, their ignorance was no excuse for violating God’s commandment. And ever since, their descendants, though the propagation of religious superstition, have been trying to make ignorance into a virtue.

Your understanding of this is a little bit off. They did not eat the fruit of the tree of 'knowledge' itself. They ate the fruit of the tree of 'knowledge of good and evil'. A radical difference.

As a descendant, I have only tried to learn more.

Pete

Charles
11-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Your understanding of this is a little bit off. They did not eat the fruit of the tree of 'knowledge' itself. They ate the fruit of the tree of 'knowledge of good and evil'. A radical difference.

As a descendant, I have only tried to learn more.

Pete

The evil part tastes better, but the heartburn is unbearable.

At least for me.

Chas

piece-itpete
11-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Bam!

Pete

merrylander
11-24-2010, 12:10 PM
I figure the good rabbi had it covered;

Hillel said: "What is hateful to thee, do not unto thy fellow man: this is the whole Law; the rest is mere commentary"

mossbacked
11-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Check it out.

http://blog.

Dave

This thread and the left funded blog you linked to are moot.

It makes NO DIFFERENCE what "Conservative religious leaders" are "plotting" (or for that matter what progressive religious leaders or progressive non-religious bloggers are plotting).

Citizens vote based upon their values, and Obama is cooked (see Wed Nov 3 2010 headlines) as he finally declared his after hiding them until after he was inaugurated.

mossbacked
11-25-2010, 10:24 PM
I do and always will support keeping organized religion OUT of politics.
I want to keep a BLATANT check on the power of religious zealots, damn right I do. I want to keep them as marginal as possible. They can go have their silly delusions and magic hokus-pokus all they want, I don't care. But the minute anyone, even a Christian, tells me I have to do as he says, or "God" will come after me-----There's going to be a problem. I guarantee you that.

Dave

Why don't we work to keep organized labor zealots out of politics then? Their henchman come after you in a much more visceral way than God.

BlueStreak
11-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Why don't we work to keep organized labor zealots out of politics then? Their henchman come after you in a much more visceral way than God.

Yeah, right. Union thugs are everywhere. The country is crawling with them.
They hide in every dark corner. Why, one bashed my head in just this morning..............:rolleyes:

Anyhow, the point wasn't "God" coming after me. I don't think I have to worry about that. I was referring to the use of religion as a tool by propagandists and politicians. Go back and read through the posts before you reply. And, NO, I'm not an Atheist.

Speaking of organized labor henchmen, where's D-Ray?

Dave

mossbacked
11-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Yeah, right. Union thugs are everywhere. The country is crawling with them.
They hide in every dark corner. Why, one bashed my head in just this morning..............:rolleyes:

Anyhow, the point wasn't "God" coming after me. I don't think I have to worry about that. I was referring to the use of religion as a tool by propagandists and politicians. Go back and read through the posts before you reply. And, NO, I'm not an Atheist.

Speaking of organized labor henchmen, where's D-Ray?

Dave

Again, moot point. I simply dismiss the premise that religion will have anything to do with Obama being ousted. The blog you cited is pablum trying to scare voters away from whomever Obama's opponent is. Borrowing money the average voter understands that we don't have to create his brand of social justice just won't fly anymore.

d-ray657
11-26-2010, 02:10 AM
I have worked with several local unions and international unions, and I haven't observed henchmen acting on behalf of any of them. As a matter of fact, most of the unions I am familiar with are run professionally for the benefit of the members. Anyone who thinks union henchmen are running things in labor organizations is living thirty or forty years ago. Unions' financial dealings and the conduct of internal union affairs are much more highly regulated than the business world.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
11-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Citizens vote based upon their values, and Obama is cooked (see Wed Nov 3 2010 headlines) as he finally declared his after hiding them until after he was inaugurated.

I want some of what he is smoking.:p

BlueStreak
11-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Again, moot point. I simply dismiss the premise that religion will have anything to do with Obama being ousted. The blog you cited is pablum trying to scare voters away from whomever Obama's opponent is. Borrowing money the average voter understands that we don't have to create his brand of social justice just won't fly anymore.

You don't live in the "Bible Belt" do you?

Let's see, what type of "pablums" might the right be using to scare citizens into not supporting their President............................Nah, the list is too long, and I don't have all friggin' day. If you try to tell me you don't know what I'm talking about, you either a liar, or you have been sound asleep for the last two/three years.

And using religion, and I do mean USING as in "using a as tool" has been the rights modus operundi for a very long time. Some of us have caught on to what a load of absolute BS it is. I don't know what is taking the rest of you so long......................

One thing I will give yo is this. We aren't hearing as much about so-called "moral outrage" from the right about issues like abortion, gay rights, etc., these days are we?
It's because we've gotten down to the heart of the matter haven't we?
The fact that Republicans would rather watch people suffer than part with a few more bucks to do something about it, wouldn't you?

Dave

d-ray657
11-26-2010, 02:36 PM
It should all boil down to this:

1. Religion should have nothing to do with government; and government should have nothing to do with religion.

2. Morals (your morals, my morals, Justice Antonin Scalia's morals) should have nothing to do with the law that governs our society.

3. Values should be yours to keep, and not impose on anyone else.

I can agree with you on number 1, and, depending on definitions, probably no. 2, but I have problems with no. 3. I don't see how we can have a reasonable system of governing a nation of 300 million people without basing that government on a set of values. The U.S. Constitution establishes a set of values that govern how the state deals with individuals and other states. It establishes values:

-concerning our security in our homes
-recognizing the right to retain our property without just compensation]
-recognizing the right to not have to be a witness against ourselves
-recognizing that those who are accused of a serious crime should be represented by counsel
-recognizing the value of free speech, and many more.

We have expectations that elected leaders should act in the interest of the public (whether they fall short or not, it is a nationally recognized value). At some point, the debate over how the government should raise revenue, who should bear the burden of providing that revenue, of who should benefit from government spending all are based on values regarding our obligations to society. Indeed, belief in a Social Contract to which we have all implicitly consented is a value judgment in itself.

I would not be willing to trade a values based democracy for one that is entirely run on corporate principles - that the bottom line is the sole determiner of policy decisions.

If it is not a values based system, upon what would you rely to determine public policy?

Regards,

D-Ray

mossbacked
11-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I have worked with several local unions and international unions, and I haven't observed henchmen acting on behalf of any of them. As a matter of fact, most of the unions I am familiar with are run professionally for the benefit of the members. Anyone who thinks union henchmen are running things in labor organizations is living thirty or forty years ago. Unions' financial dealings and the conduct of internal union affairs are much more highly regulated than the business world.

Regards,

D-Ray

I don't mean to derail the "Theoracracy" theme of this thread, just pointing out that it is simply a tactic (granted, used by both parties) to segment voters. But I really am curious how you equate the religious segment with my example of the union segment most progressives seem to love.

There are documented 2010 cases (of course not by the mainstream media) of union thug attacks on conservatives, but no concised evidence that God is taking out progressives :D

http://forgottenliberty.com/2010/04/tea-party-violence-vs-union-violence

################################################## #

You don't live in the "Bible Belt" do you?

Let's see, what type of "pablums" might the right be using to scare citizens into not supporting their President............................Nah, the list is too long, and I don't have all friggin' day. If you try to tell me you don't know what I'm talking about, you either a liar, or you have been sound asleep for the last two/three years.

And using religion, and I do mean USING as in "using a as tool" has been the rights modus operundi for a very long time. Some of us have caught on to what a load of absolute BS it is. I don't know what is taking the rest of you so long......................

One thing I will give yo is this. We aren't hearing as much about so-called "moral outrage" from the right about issues like abortion, gay rights, etc., these days are we?
It's because we've gotten down to the heart of the matter haven't we?
The fact that Republicans would rather watch people suffer than part with a few more bucks to do something about it, wouldn't you?

Dave

I'm not sure what or where the Bible Belt is so I must not live there.

It's a nice try that in your prejudice you try to blanket the Republicans Party as a group who would "rather watch people suffer" when what they really want to do is make sure people are empowered to stand on their own two feet instead of nursing off of the tax teat dollars (er, I mean dollars borrowed from the Chinese dollars because we don't even have them in the tax coffers).

When will people finally understand that we can't afford to support even 20% of the programs that have been voted (Unconstitutionally I might add) into law. The country needs to realize the party that says NO has the right answer.

I want some of what he is smoking.:p

I wish :)

BlueStreak
11-26-2010, 10:36 PM
“Dear lord, this year you have taken away my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite singer, Michael Jackson, and my favorite salesman, Billy Mays. I just wanted to let you know that Chris Christie is my favorite governor.”

The e-mail I got from my brother-in-law about a year ago, and it had been through about a zillion others before I got it, only this version ended in "Barack Obama is my favorite President."
I passed it on to the conservative rednecks at work just to observe their reaction. They all seemed to think it was hilarious. So, as far as this is concerned; What comes around goes around. Screw'em.

The real world is a tough place. Conservatives need to get used to the idea that they are hated and stop whining about it. They need to toughen up, there's more to come.

BTW, you do know that union/anti-union violence has historically been a two way street, don't you? So, don't give me any, "poor, victimized, squeaky clean businessman", horseshit. I've seen with my own eyes what a powerful corporation and it's lap dogs in government and local law enforcement will do to striking workers.

One more question for you;
Who is it that's usually seen displaying their weaponry and openly threatening a "second amendment option"? PETA?
Gay rights advocates?
Spare me.

Didn't we recently see a man stepping on a womans head?

We can do this all day long, or you can stop trying to play this "Conservatives are hapless victims" crap.

Your choice.

Dave

BlueStreak
11-27-2010, 08:35 AM
If there is anything that can be gleaned from the intent of the framers of the Constitution, it is that our nation was founded on secular principles and not religious doctrine. The "founding fathers" well knew that the separation of church and state was the only way to preserve religious freedom. Religious wars had been waged in Europe over its union; and, indeed, some of the first colonists, the Pilgrims, came to America to escape state-sponsored religious persecution. Our right to worship freely, without government interference, is guaranteed by the First Amendment to the Constitution, and not by God. It is time that people of faith reconcile themselves with this fundamental fact.

Have I ever told you how much I love your posts?

Very well stated, Sir.

Dave

mossbacked
11-27-2010, 09:19 PM
“Dear lord, this year you have taken away my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite singer, Michael Jackson, and my favorite salesman, Billy Mays. I just wanted to let you know that Chris Christie is my favorite governor.”

The e-mail I got from my brother-in-law about a year ago, and it had been through about a zillion others before I got it, only this version ended in "Barack Obama is my favorite President."
I passed it on to the conservative rednecks at work just to observe their reaction. They all seemed to think it was hilarious. So, as far as this is concerned; What comes around goes around. Screw'em.

The real world is a tough place. Conservatives need to get used to the idea that they are hated and stop whining about it. They need to toughen up, there's more to come.

BTW, you do know that union/anti-union violence has historically been a two way street, don't you? So, don't give me any, "poor, victimized, squeaky clean businessman", horseshit. I've seen with my own eyes what a powerful corporation and it's lap dogs in government and local law enforcement will do to striking workers.

One more question for you;
Who is it that's usually seen displaying their weaponry and openly threatening a "second amendment option"? PETA?
Gay rights advocates?
Spare me.

Didn't we recently see a man stepping on a womans head?

We can do this all day long, or you can stop trying to play this "Conservatives are hapless victims" crap.

Your choice.

Dave

Classy Dave, classy.

But anyway . . . it's only been a day or two, but you seem to love my post more than anyone else, so I guees you must be my favorite PoliticalChat member. :)

Alan