PDA

View Full Version : Every Time I See...

Sandy G
07-09-2009, 11:42 PM
A sign in a commercial establishment written in Spanish-or any other language other than English-It just makes me see red. Dammittall, this is AMERICA ! If you gonna live here, LEARN TO SPEAK AMERICAN !! I was in Germany & Belgium, & neither of those places had signs accomodatin' ME in English...An' if you illegals DON'T LIKE IT, just hie yr butts back home, pronto...Ain't sposed to be here, anyway. That's why you're ILLEGAL...My grandad's people were from near Stuttgart, in the Neckar Valley, nobody put up cutesy-wootsy signs for THEM in German when THEY came over here & settled in Dayton, Ohio.....Grandaddy could speak German, but he would only do it if us kids REALLY prodded him...When them old Germans came over here, they left the Old World behind....and rarely if ever looked back. Sorry if I came acrost as racist/prejudiced/or just as a Poop in general, but just....Honestly......Grrrrrrrrr ! (grin)

Charles
07-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Reminds me of what Sonny Bono said when he was asked as to what he thought about illegal immigration.

He replied, "I thought it was illegal."

And people used to think Sonny was the dumb one.

Chas

merrylander
07-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Press 1 for English is what burns me. In fact all those damn voice response systems piss me off I want to talk to a live human being, one who is on this continent. Verizon is my pet peeve, I don't thing there is a live human left there. If there is I may hear from it as I sicked the PSC on them. Apparently here in MD there is a law that says the average telephone repair problem is to be cleared in 8 hours max, not 5 days.

Sandy G
07-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Amen, Rob ! ...And the blarney, "This call may be monitored and/or recorded for Quality Assurance purposes..." bullchip. Makes me wanna start cussin' like an enraged sailor when I hear that. My grandad's granparents never did learn English, they were too old, & consequently, they were pretty much sequestered by the family...To NOT speak English to them old Germans was a source of shame-Contrast to today, when you even timidly suggest that maybe, possibly, would the new immigrants might consider trying to learn English, & Oh, Boy...You've stomped on their "rights", you've denigrated their history & culture, you are basically an insensitive horse's patoot....

noonereal
07-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Press 1 for English is what burns me. .

Then we need to make English the national language, don't you think?

noonereal
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
A sign in a commercial establishment written in Spanish-or any other language other than English-It just makes me see red.

:confused:

Seems to me that kind of intolerance cannot be good.

Kamakiri
07-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Press 1 for English is what burns me.

Then, "Para espanol, marque el numero dos", and when an analyst gets to the line, do a Beavis and Butthead kinda "Tacos burritos chimichanga!" "Um, spaghetti?"

"Wrong language, dumbass!"

:D

http://images.chron.com/blogs/specialfeatures/archives/beavis.jpg

Charles
07-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Amen, Rob ! ...And the blarney, "This call may be monitored and/or recorded for Quality Assurance purposes..." bullchip. Makes me wanna start cussin' like an enraged sailor when I hear that. My grandad's granparents never did learn English, they were too old, & consequently, they were pretty much sequestered by the family...To NOT speak English to them old Germans was a source of shame-Contrast to today, when you even timidly suggest that maybe, possibly, would the new immigrants might consider trying to learn English, & Oh, Boy...You've stomped on their "rights", you've denigrated their history & culture, you are basically an insensitive horse's patoot....

Whenever I get testy with customer service, I tell them that I've bugged my phone too. And I have.

Then I start asking them all sorts of nosy questions, like I'm some smart assed cop.

I've pretty much quit cussing the operator I'm dealing with, figure they're just some poor slob trying to make a living. But I have my limits.

Chas

merrylander
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
When they tell me the call may be recorded is when I start using four letter words.

Charles
07-10-2009, 02:15 PM
When they tell me the call may be recorded is when I start using four letter words.

I generally start cussing right at the start, cuss their messages, music, hold time, and really let loose when the tell me that I'm a valued customer. And I don't hold myself to four letter words.

But I try to be polite whenever I finally reach a person.

Chas

Sandy G
07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
I used to have Big Fun w/telemarketers. NONE of 'em EVER pronounced my last name-Geiger-right. It was Gayger, Googer, Geeger, Jeejer, or else the dimwit would just sit there & mumble. If they were female, sometimes, depending on how sulphurous a mood I was in, I would start telling 'em I was Ron Jeremy's BIGGER little brother...If they were male, I'd tell 'em the same thing, only talk w/a lisp 'n' act REAL "sweet". Yeah, I know they were just workin' schlubs, but still....Ain't I a Stinkah ?!? (grin) By the bye, my last name is pronounced "Guy-gurr", just like the Geiger counter. Spelling it tripped most of 'em's triggers, too..I'd go "George-Echo-India-George-Echo-Romeo", & they'd STILL phuck it up...Then all bets were off, out would come Ron's little bro, or Cherchez LaFemme....

Charles
07-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I never was that quick.

With the wimmen who pissed me off, I'd call 'em honey, tell 'em I liked 'em, then ask 'em to guess what I had in my hand.

The men, I'd just tell 'em that if I could get aholt of 'em, I'd blow their GD brains out. And don't call back, MF!!!

Chas

Twodogs
07-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I never was that quick.

With the wimmen who pissed me off, I'd call 'em honey, tell 'em I liked 'em, then ask 'em to guess what I had in my hand.

The men, I'd just tell 'em that if I could get aholt of 'em, I'd blow their GD brains out. And don't call back, MF!!!

Chas

so........................what "did" you have in yer hand?:rolleyes::D

Charles
07-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Can of beer, mostly.

Chas

Twodogs
07-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Can of beer, mostly.

Chas

Ha, I nailed it on the first guess. :p Thank God it's Friday men.:)

Charles
07-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Ha, I nailed it on the first guess. :p Thank God it's Friday men.:)

That calls for a beer!!!!

Chas

merrylander
07-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Then we need to make English the national language, don't you think?

That would put most Americans at a real disadvantage.:D

Sandy G
07-11-2009, 06:57 AM
That would put most Americans at a real disadvantage.:D

Yeah, it would put me at a DEFINITE disadvantage-I speak Hillbilly...

merrylander
07-11-2009, 06:57 AM
:confused:

Seems to me that kind of intolerance cannot be good.

If I was intolerant of Spanish speaking people I would have a real problem as my wife's father was Spanish and her mother Italian, and there was a French grandmother in there somewhere.

That said when I was in Madrid on business only my hosts and some hotel staff spoke English, I had to make do as best I could on the street. The same was true of Paris and Munich and Berlin. Staff in the Tivoli Gardens restaurants spoke English. I got along fine in London and Brigton

merrylander
07-11-2009, 07:03 AM
The ones I have real fun with are the folks that come around to the door saying they are doing a survey and could they have a few moments of my time.

That's when I ask if the brought their checkbook because as a consultant I normally was paid $100 per hour.

They would look at me in shock and say that they did not pay, to which I would respond that I presumed they were going to sell the results of the survey and I wanted a piece of the action.

Got rid of them real fast.

noonereal
07-11-2009, 07:10 AM
If I was intolerant of Spanis speaking people I would have a real problem as my wife's father was Spanish and her mothher Italian, and there was a French grandmother in there somewhere.

That said when I was in Madrid on business only my hosts and some hotel staff spoke English, I had to make do as best I could on the street. The same was true of Paris and Munich and Berlin. Staff in the Tivoli Gardens restaurants spoke English. I got along fine in London and Brigton

That's all good, but what does that have to do with me suggesting to Sandy that being upset that signs are written in languages other than English might be a bit intolerant of others?:confused:

merrylander
07-11-2009, 07:29 AM
That's all good, but what does that have to do with me suggesting to Sandy that being upset that signs are written in languages other than English might be a bit intolerant of others?:confused:

I don't believe that other peoples not displaying English signs is being intolerant even though it has replaced French as a common language. I recall attending a meeting in Amsterdam where we were all speaking English. I left at noon but I heard later from one of the others in attendance that they kept speaking English until the 3:00 PM break that I was gone and the could have reverted to Dutch after lunch.

Having to display and handle multiple languages is an expense, comong from Canada I know this. It is even worse in Switzerland with three languages to cope with. Nothing to do with intolerance.