PDA

View Full Version : Sotomayor's confirmation hearing starts Monday

noonereal
07-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Anyone already make up their minds about her?

Charles
07-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, I still think she's in like Flint.

But I would have preferred someone else...Robert Bork maybe.

Chas

merrylander
07-13-2009, 07:06 AM
The swedish cook?

JJIII
07-13-2009, 11:54 AM
I have no one else in particular in mind, but I don't think that she is the best qualified person to be found.

Twodogs
07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I can see the irony on the wall. If you oppose the racist, you are racist.:D

noonereal
07-13-2009, 02:24 PM
So Sotomayor is a racist.

God Bless

noonereal
07-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, I still think she's in like Flint.

But I would have preferred someone else...Robert Bork maybe.

Chas

if she is in like like Flint it will because she is squeaky clear. I don't know much about her but I will watch as much as I can of the questioning.

merrylander
07-13-2009, 02:46 PM
This racist crap is pure baloney, hell I am the not so friendly neighbourhood WASP and I get a little tired of all those ivy school white men appointed to the court.

Twodogs
07-13-2009, 03:02 PM
I get a little tired of all those ivy school white men appointed to the court.

That is soooooooo racist.:p

Charles
07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
if she is in like like Flint it will because she is squeaky clear. I don't know much about her but I will watch as much as I can of the questioning.

Squeaky clear, or squeaky clean, or pure as the driven snow ain't got shit to do with it.

This is politics...just as fake as All Star Wrestling...and they fight a hell of a lot dirtier.

Al Franken came out today and said something to the effect that she is the most qualified appointee to the USSC in the last 100 yrs.

First time he ever made me laugh.

Chas

noonereal
07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Squeaky clear, or squeaky clean, or pure as the driven snow ain't got shit to do with it.

This is politics...just as fake as All Star Wrestling...and they fight a hell of a lot dirtier.

Al Franken came out today and said something to the effect that she is the most qualified appointee to the USSC in the last 100 yrs.

First time he ever made me laugh.

Chas

I am glad Al made you laugh but although the nominee is a political choice she is having her life long judicial record scrutinized by both sides. Roberts is not someone I supported but he got in because his life's judicial record was
pure as the driven snow.
The choice is politically driven, the confirmation although politically driven is based on fact with both sides able to question and reject.

Charles
07-14-2009, 06:37 AM
And, at the end of the day, the vote will be split on party lines.

Chas

merrylander
07-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Yep, the Republicans have finally found their voice - No!

noonereal
07-14-2009, 06:53 AM
And, at the end of the day, the vote will be split on party lines.

Chas

I'll beat you a beer she gets more republican yes votes to democratic no votes. Just like Roberts did (in reverse).
If something comes out that will change but as of now there is nothing to cause the repubs to dispute her nomination, just like when the Dems had nothing real on Roberts..

Charles
07-14-2009, 05:54 PM
I'll beat you a beer she gets more republican yes votes to democratic no votes. Just like Roberts did (in reverse).
If something comes out that will change but as of now there is nothing to cause the repubs to dispute her nomination, just like when the Dems had nothing real on Roberts..

I think you will be correct on the vote, but for different reasons.

The GOP is using the hearings to toss some red meat to their core, but will vote for her in an attempt as to not rile the Hispanics.

Chas

merrylander
07-15-2009, 07:26 AM
It was interesting to watch her give Senator Sessions a lesson in how precedent works in our system of laws. I hope there are few senators as ignorant of how the system works.

Sandy G
07-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Wonder what would happen if we tried to get the best LEGAL MINDS on the supreme court instead of worrying that left-handed Jewish Thai Eskimos w/a speech impediment are represented on the bench ?

noonereal
07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Wonder what would happen if we tried to get the best LEGAL MINDS on the supreme court instead of worrying that left-handed Jewish Thai Eskimos w/a speech impediment are represented on the bench ?

I think we need the best legal minds while representing as many different groups as possible.
All young members of sociaty need to be able to identify with leaders and policy makers and not all can identify with an old white guy.
In fact many socioeconomic groups are very distrusting of old white guys. Excluding them from power will not change that, including them will.

merrylander
07-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Is the Supreme Court even relevant today? It is so packed from time to time that the bias is obvious. And no, I don't believe any ivy league white male can represent my views worth a damn.

For example; the Constitition provides for a citizen's ability to "petition the government for redress" so that collection of twits decided this allows for lobbying. To begin, lobbyists sometimes represent foreign governments, hardly 'citizens'. Corporations have gone global, - citizens? Of what country?

Finally 'redress' is post facto, you may petition the government for something they have ALREADY DONE which you feel was unfair to you. It does not mean that Enron gets invited to the White House to write the new energy bill.

Allowing lobbying and lobbyists was the single most idiotic thing that SCOTUS ever came up with, all it has ever done is provide us with the best Congress money can buy.

Twodogs
07-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, at least the bastards got the election right after Florida had it all screwed up.:rolleyes:

noonereal
07-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, at least the bastards got the election right after Florida had it all screwed up.:rolleyes:

Yes, they did "get it" "right."

Sandy G
07-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Little Latina Loopy-Loo is gonna sail thru w/o so much as a peep...Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth right now, but we'll see her true colors soon enuff...

painter
07-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I think we need the best legal minds while representing as many different groups as possible.
All young members of sociaty need to be able to identify with leaders and policy makers and not all can identify with an old white guy.
In fact many socioeconomic groups are very distrusting of old white guys. Excluding them from power will not change that, including them will.

She's brilliant! Speaks clearly off the cuff and no doubt has seen her share of buffoons (court jesters) in her time. As far as the comment white male...white happens to be the predominance of the jesters. I don't go on record for ANY racial remarks...but when the yard is full of robins...I don't call them sparrows. We are so damn sensitive to calling em as we see em. And being judged.

Think about it...you can probably think of a few people right now who think they invented the wheel and literally don't understand why it turns.
After all...a lawyer in a courtroom is judged by his performance and case wins. Just saying....

merrylander
07-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Well, at least the bastards got the election right after Jeb Bush had it all screwed up.:rolleyes:

Fixed it for you.:D

Fast_Eddie
07-21-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm of a mind that a President should get his choice so long as they're not grossly unqualified or radical. Said the same about Roberts. Wouldn't have been my choice, but we didn't win that election. This time we did, and she sure seems like a good pick to me. I don't like making these confirmations politically devisive. Didn't like it when Obama did it and wouldn't like it now. I've gained a whole heap of respect for some of the Republicans, especially Lindsey Graham. That's a man I can look at and say "I don't agree with him, but I respect him." We need more of that. Hope he runs for President.

noonereal
08-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Sotomayor makes history

The Senate vote, presided over by new Senator Al Franken of Minnesota, was 68-31.
That compares to a 78-22 vote for Chief Justice John Roberts in 2005 and 58-42 for Samuel Alito in 2006.

How do the republican here feel about this? (like there are any none republicans here!;))

Charles
08-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Let's see how she legislates.

And I must me missing something...how come Franken was presiding over the senate?

Chas

noonereal
08-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Let's see how she legislates.

And I must me missing something...how come Franken was presiding over the senate?

Chas

I cannot answer why Franken was presiding but I do find it interesting that you say "Let's see how she [B]legislates."

Me thinks you are concerned. ;)

Charles
08-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Of course I'm concerned, I don't care for activist judges..no matter which direction they lean. If she can leave her personal views at the door, and legislate according to the letter of the law, I will have no complaints.

I would think that even you would feel the same.

Anyway, what goes around comes around...live it up while you can.

Chas

noonereal
08-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Of course I'm concerned, I don't care for activist judges..no matter which direction they lean. If she can leave her personal views at the door, and legislate according to the letter of the law, I will have no complaints.

I would think that even you would feel the same.

Anyway, what goes around comes around...live it up while you can.

Chas

Even me huh? :cool:

LOL

Live it up now????? not sure what you mean

Charles
08-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Even me huh? :cool:

LOL

Live it up now????? not sure what you mean

Perhaps that smug little smiley face at the end of your original post told me something that you didn't intend.

Chas

PS: We may not see the sun go down before the cased set is once again presented.

noonereal
08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
sorry, don't follow

I though we were buds again

:confused:

Charles
08-06-2009, 06:09 PM
sorry, don't follow

I though we were buds again

:confused:

Buddies to the end, 'ol Pard.

BTW, I've never had a true friend who hasn't called me a sonofabitch to my face, and meant it.

Chas

noonereal
08-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Buddies to the end, 'ol Pard.

BTW, I've never had a true friend who hasn't called me a sonofabitch to my face, and meant it.

Chas

LOL, a real swell hot head I presume. ;)