PDA

View Full Version : What I've been doing the last week.....

Kamakiri
07-15-2009, 06:35 AM
This week for me has had highs and lows..... I'm once again single, to my surprise, a few spots of turmoil outside that realm also came into my life, but at least one good thing came to pass last night.

About 10 hours on my back and a lot of work rebuilding a transmission by myself, but it's all worthwhile. This old gal and I will be together for a long time, when you love something, you just never give up on it :)

Charles
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I've had several of those old dogs...66 1/2 window van, 77 1 ton sportvan, and an 86 3/4 Beauville.

Big GM fan here, about all I've ever owned. Although I've got a couple of Dodge's now that are pretty tough.

Chas

Kamakiri
07-16-2009, 08:31 AM
I have to say, she looks great for a 1985, especially here in the rust belt. Every bolt broke free with no trouble.

I've accomplished monumental feats with that old gal. I'll own it forever :)

Twodogs
07-16-2009, 04:55 PM
I've got an 85 Chevy diesel pickup that I feel the same way about. The bedsides are all but gone, but I'd still jump in it and head anywhere. I actually prefer driving it to the 09 I drive daily. The bonus is, it bugs the shit out of the upity neighbors sitting in the drive.:cool:

Sandy G
07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I bet yr Homeowner's Ass'n president just LOVES you...Hehehehehe...

Kamakiri
07-16-2009, 07:46 PM
We don't got no stinking HOA's.....I live in a good neighborhood of honest, lower middle class working Americans. They all used to smile and wave as the kids and I drove the Farmall Cub down the street :)

merrylander
07-17-2009, 07:12 AM
I live in the high rent section but we have a neighbor who looks to be running an auto junk yard. Lately they have let the lawn go to s**t. I am not moving, but I figure we have younger neighbors who may get transfered or such. For that reason and personal pride we keep the place neat so as not to affect their chances of selling. There is one poor soul directly opposite the junk yard whose place has been up for sale for four months now.

Kamakiri
07-17-2009, 07:38 AM
I work very hard to keep my home, yard, and gardens neat, clean, and well maintained. The only evidence that exists at my home that I have motorized toys is the dirt path worn racetrack around the perimeter of my back yard.

A small price to pay for a happy childhood for my boys, me thinks :) . The irises and roses in the flower beds are in full bloom, along with my Yucca by the garage.

Things like the Farmall and a garage chock full of stuff are a thing of the past now......

Twodogs
07-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Ha, we have a lake association, and my wife is president.:D

merrylander
07-17-2009, 03:14 PM

The owners of the 21 homesites here are supposed to be the HOA, I even have a copy of the 'rules' around here somewhere. There has never been a meeting in the 21 years we have been here.

Combwork
07-17-2009, 03:43 PM
This week for me has had highs and lows..... I'm once again single, to my surprise, a few spots of turmoil outside that realm also came into my life, but at least one good thing came to pass last night.

About 10 hours on my back and a lot of work rebuilding a transmission by myself, but it's all worthwhile. This old gal and I will be together for a long time, when you love something, you just never give up on it :)

Strange thing, it's not just the old stuff that can be worked on. New neighbors have a very hot Honda Impretzia ('scuse spelling). Strictly a 'take it to the dealer for servicing' kind of car. Last weekend him and a few of his mates had everything unboltable out of it so they could somehow squeeze in an aftermarket turbocharger. I went over to offer my pearls of wisdom, then quickly realised I was in way out of my depth:(

Charles
07-17-2009, 04:15 PM
I've got an 85 Chevy diesel pickup that I feel the same way about. The bedsides are all but gone, but I'd still jump in it and head anywhere. I actually prefer driving it to the 09 I drive daily. The bonus is, it bugs the shit out of the upity neighbors sitting in the drive.:cool:

I've got an 88 Dodge 3/4 ton about the same way. Not rusted TOO bad, but all of the paint has fallen off of it, got rear ended by a Pepsi truck, took an idiot stick, sledge hammer, and log chain and jerked the ass end of it around so I could get a tail light back in it, replaced the tailgate with a 2x12. And installed an "I brake for tailgaters" bumper sticker on it. I take no shit in traffic.

But I love it. Pull back on the big stick, those vacuum servos lock in the front end with a big clunk (love a straight axle), and you're ready to go. In low range, it will drag off almost anything. For what I use it for, I wouldn't want anything much better.

Everybody needs a rough old truck.

Chas