PDA

View Full Version : Corporate America

noonereal
12-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Why do right wing Americans revere corporate America?

History shows they are worse than a dictator when government does not reign them in. Even when government does they pull stunts like these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_electricity_crisis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_crisis_of_2007%E2%80%932010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_American_streetcar_scandal

Why do people who are victimized by these entities embrace them so?

noonereal
01-03-2011, 09:04 PM
if these things don't bother you, either should this
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7206290n&tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea.5
good luck with your medicine, hope it doesn't kill you

BlueStreak
01-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Stockholm Syndrome. Once people have been at the mercy of their captor for an extended period of time, (As in, their whole life, perhaps?), they start to become sympathetic, they start to see the people who anger their captors as the bad guys.

Don't upset the bully, he beats me when you do that!................

Dave

merrylander
01-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Stockholm Syndrome. Once people have been at the mercy of their captor for an extended period of time, (As in, their whole life, perhaps?), they start to become sympathetic, they start to see the people who anger their captors as the bad guys.

Don't upset the bully, he beats me when you do that!................

Dave

You nailed it.

piece-itpete
01-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Business IS the economy, free to enjoy the fruit of ones labor and all that.

Pete

merrylander
01-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Since arriving here I have worked for small business, non-profit, and big business. Small businesses either stay small, go bust, or if successfull get bought up by big business. Big businesses get big enough that they lose sight of their purpose and simply become playgrounds for idiots. I probably still have stock options in one that will forever be underwater.

noonereal
01-04-2011, 09:29 AM
and another thing

why is a doctor prescribing an anti depressant to an 8 year old?

finnbow
01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
and another thing

why is a doctor prescribing an anti depressant to an 8 year old?

Just being mother's little helper. The overuse of psychotropic drugs in our culture is friggin' amazing (and sad).

BlueStreak
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Just being mother's little helper. The overuse of psychotropic drugs in our culture is friggin' amazing (and sad).

My therapist (anger and depression) tried time and again to prescribe psychotropic drugs. Time and again, I refused. Finally, she asked me why I was so adamant about it.

"Because I believe in fixing problems. Drugs are just a thin layer of paint over the rot."

Dave

merrylander
01-10-2011, 10:19 AM
It is really dis-heartening how people get innoculated with the unfettered free market jingoism. Over in the other group where there was a thread going on how banks are seizing people's possessions in foreclosures. One AK'er noted that they had taken his vintage recievers and tossed them in the dumpster. I read of another case where they changed locks while the woman was out and siezed everything including her late husband's ashes.

So I made the statement that there is likely a special corner in hell reserved for bankers. I will admit I should have qualified it by "some". So they closed the thread after I was chastized by the well known defender of free enterprise, telling me that bankers are responsible for everything good in the economy, how their loans establish business, etc. and so on.

Now I recall when I got my first car loan many moons ago, thanking the banker for lending me the money. Now understand Canada has several major banks with branches in many provinces. The manager looked me in the eye and said "Rob, if I leave all the money in the vault the bills will not have little bills. The folks at the head office expect me to turn a profit, about the only way I can do that is to loan it to honest folks like you at interest." See, there is nowt altruistic about it, just pure business.

Now you can do business without being an asshole. Did they sieze effects to recoup losses. Not from a dumpster surely. I can picture the eBay ads "For sale - John Brown's ashes", or "For sale - the Smith's family photo albums". I feel confident that would bring in a lot of money.:(