PDA

View Full Version : Buchanans' macro prediction for 2011:

piece-itpete
01-03-2011, 10:56 AM
The eurozone will fail, the euro will be dead.

He stated this on the McLaughlin Group.

Pete

finnbow
01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
It probably should, but it won't IMHO. Too much water under the bridge at this point.

piece-itpete
01-03-2011, 12:48 PM
That was my thought too - too much invested. Plus, it's important from a ww3 point of view.

Pete

BlueStreak
01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Naw.

Dave

merrylander
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Germany alone has enough cash to bail them out.

DarkDefender
01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Yes the Germans may have enough to bail them out, but Frau Merkl would be removed from office being dragged behind a fleet of VWs. Spain has been struggling for some time and is continuing to get worse. If they are unable to restructure their debt, they will be falling on extremely hard times. Italy is also not that far from falling deep into trouble.
It will be placed squarely upon the Germans and French to keep the Euro zone afloat.
I do think that they will be able to hold it off for some time, and as it has been discussed earlier, they have too much invested in the Euro ideal. That being said, I imagine a majority of Germans would support a move back to the Mark, even though at this point it's really not possible.

finnbow
01-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes the Germans may have enough to bail them out, but Frau Merkl would be removed from office being dragged behind a fleet of VWs. Spain has been struggling for some time and is continuing to get worse. If they are unable to restructure their debt, they will be falling on extremely hard times. Italy is also not that far from falling deep into trouble.
It will be placed squarely upon the Germans and French to keep the Euro zone afloat.
I do think that they will be able to hold it off for some time, and as it has been discussed earlier, they have too much invested in the Euro ideal. That being said, I imagine a majority of Germans would support a move back to the Mark, even though at this point it's really not possible.

Exactly, DD.

d-ray657
01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Naw.

Dave

Hate to tell you this Blue, but you have to pass the bar exam before you can use that avatar.:cool:

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
01-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Hate to tell you this Blue, but you have to pass the bar exam before you can use that avatar.:cool:

Regards,

D-Ray

Does that mean I can't use this?

https://www.prowinds.com/merchantmanager/images/uploads/Trumpet%20Mouthpiece.jpg

Chas

merrylander
01-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Beside which who would the Germans sell all those VWs and BMWs to?

piece-itpete
01-06-2011, 08:07 AM

And in a way, it should. It's their own darn fault the whole EU got forced on Europe to begin with.

I happed to see a bit on this on Germany's news yesterday, they interviewed people on the street - even the reluctant ones believed the Euro was there to stay.

Pete

BlueStreak
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
And in a way, it should. It's their own darn fault the whole EU got forced on Europe to begin with.

I happed to see a bit on this on Germany's news yesterday, they interviewed people on the street - even the reluctant ones believed the Euro was there to stay.

Pete

How do people "force" something upon themselves? Sure, you could say the leaders forced it upon the people. But, if the people stood idly by and took no action, is that not a form of passive consent?

BTW, I don't think the formation of the EU poses any immediate military threat. But, I do certainly think it creates a formidable powerhouse politically and economically. One that more than rivals us. (Perhaps not at present, but once the economy straightens out----Oh, yeah.) And, I believe it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Dave

piece-itpete
01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Europe has a more domineering government than us (for now), at least imo ...

That passive consent is dangerous. Although I largely agree.

The EU a military threat? They've been so generally passive it's rarely crossed my mind. But good point, they are a bigger economy than the US, and things do change over time. The EU and the Euro were conceived as a way to keep Germany and France from doing their historical dance, after all.

Pete

mossbacked
02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Beside which who would the Germans sell all those VWs and BMWs to?

Well that's easy; all of those newly democratized, "free" Egyptians.

merrylander
02-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Well that's easy; all of those newly democratized, "free" Egyptians.

We shall see how it all works out, but Egypt demonstrates what so many here have forgotten. You do not "give" people democracy, they have to "take" it for themselves. We do a disservice to those who did "take" democracy here simply because we are letting the political right whittle it away.:rolleyes:

Combwork
02-21-2011, 04:58 AM
How do people "force" something upon themselves? Sure, you could say the leaders forced it upon the people. But, if the people stood idly by and took no action, is that not a form of passive consent?

BTW, I don't think the formation of the EU poses any immediate military threat. But, I do certainly think it creates a formidable powerhouse politically and economically. One that more than rivals us. (Perhaps not at present, but once the economy straightens out----Oh, yeah.) And, I believe it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Dave

But, I do certainly think it creates a formidable powerhouse politically and economically.

I don't think so, at least not yet. The thing is that uniting peoples that have only one thing in common; their mutual dislike of each other can usually only be done by facing a common enemy. "Together we stand, divided we fall" and all that jazz. As soon as the common enemy has gone away it's back to business as usual. The Common Market? A lot of people here think its primary purpose was to break, or at least greatly weaken the British Commonwealth.

noonereal
02-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Europe has a more domineering government than us (for now), at least imo ...

That passive consent is dangerous. Although I largely agree.

The EU a military threat? They've been so generally passive it's rarely crossed my mind. But good point, they are a bigger economy than the US, and things do change over time. The EU and the Euro were conceived as a way to keep Germany and France from doing their historical dance, after all.

Pete

i agree, we have a lot to learn from europe

JJIII
02-21-2011, 06:35 AM
i agree, we have a lot to learn from europe

I'll agree with you there. I just don't think we will reach the same conclusions.:D

noonereal
02-21-2011, 06:39 AM
I'll agree with you there. I just don't think we will reach the same conclusions.:D

as with slavery, women's voting, national healthcare we eventually follow Europe, it just takes so long because of the right wing problem we have

preferred u
10-01-2011, 02:41 PM

[QUOTE]BTW, I don't think the formation of the EU poses any immediate military threat. But, I do certainly think it creates a formidable powerhouse politically and economically. One that more than rivals us.

Yes that was the whole idea behind the E.U.

djv8ga
10-01-2011, 05:38 PM
as with slavery, women's voting, national healthcare we eventually follow Europe, it just takes so long because of the right wing problem we have
I'm surprised the Pilgrims sailed over here in the first place with all of the fantastic civil rights, religious freedom, & liberty they had over there in Europe.

merrylander
10-02-2011, 07:53 AM
But, I do certainly think it creates a formidable powerhouse politically and economically.

I don't think so, at least not yet. The thing is that uniting peoples that have only one thing in common; their mutual dislike of each other can usually only be done by facing a common enemy. "Together we stand, divided we fall" and all that jazz. As soon as the common enemy has gone away it's back to business as usual. The Common Market? A lot of people here think its primary purpose was to break, or at least greatly weaken the British Commonwealth.

I see they are still at it, is the new proposed stock transaction tax a direct shot at the London Exchange?

merrylander
10-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Pete

I was under the impression they voted on it, hardly being forced.:rolleyes:

Combwork
10-04-2011, 07:34 AM
I see they are still at it, is the new proposed stock transaction tax a direct shot at the London Exchange?

Possibly, but I think not yet. It's more of a warning shot across the bows.