PDA

View Full Version : Times are changing

Twodogs
07-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Even in the small Kansas town where I live. I was coming home from the store yesterday and saw two little black girls riding their bicycles.:eek: It really made me do a double take. The only people of color you ever see in this town are in cars, and just passin through (not sure why). When I got home I told the wife about it, and she informed me that they had just finished putting some section 8 housing in behind the grocery store. I drove by there today and sure enough, there's a whole row of duplex looking things. Why on earth would they put section 8 housing in a town that doesn't have a bus-line, cab, or any real job base. Seems to me the folks would be better served in the city where they could find some work and get a start. Then after they get established with a car and job, they could move to the burbs. Does anyone know exactly how they pick spots for section 8 builds?

noonereal
07-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Even in the small Kansas town where I live. I was coming home from the store yesterday and saw two little black girls riding their bicycles.:eek: It really made me do a double take. The only people of color you ever see in this town are in cars, and just passin through (not sure why). When I got home I told the wife about it, and she informed me that they had just finished putting some section 8 housing in behind the grocery store. I drove by there today and sure enough, there's a whole row of duplex looking things. Why on earth would they put section 8 housing in a town that doesn't have a bus-line, cab, or any real job base. Seems to me the folks would be better served in the city where they could find some work and get a start. Then after they get established with a car and job, they could move to the burbs. Does anyone know exactly how they pick spots for section 8 builds?

saw two little black girls riding their bicycles.:eek: ??????????

of course black girls live in section 8 housing?????????????

we should round them all up and put them in the cities????????????

I think times are not a changing.

This is a shocking post.

Twodogs
07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Well, it was very odd to see something I hadn't seen before. There were white folks in that row of housing too. I just think the city could offer more opportunity for jobs and such. I didn't start out in Johnson County Kansas either, I worked my butt off to live here. The post is not meant to be what you are thinking, it is just the honest truth. I'm sorry if it offended you (really I am).:(

Charles
07-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I would imagine that a developer determined that your community fell within the Federal guidelines for this type of development, and the money was available.

We have a couple of small affordable housing developments here in Bugtussell. Built by developers from somewhere else. And most of the people living there are from somewhere else too.

Now I'm not saying that the poor should live in a packing crate, I'm just stating the facts. And the people who built them didn't do it to help the poor, they did it to help themselves. Unfortunately, the poor are a commodity in the US.

Chas

chuckworkb
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
In the sixties, it was the projects, big ugly high rise towers to house the poor.

They of course eventually became run down drug, and crime infested hell holes, that no one wanted to be in or near.

Those all got torn down to make room for Malls, and parking lots, because they cost a fortune to maintain, and no one had the money, or wanted to spend the money on them any more.

Now it's affordable housing. Duplexes, 3 families, etc. Two or three story more appealing to the eye buildings, that I guarantee will become run down, drug and crime infested hell holes in time, just like the high rises.

The developer most likely is not building these places to be nice. He is building them to make money and keep his business alive.

Sandy G
07-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, this little town wasn't big enuff for hi-rise "Stak-A-Proletariat" style flatblocks, we just built duplexes. They are just as crime ridden, though, if you ask the cops, as anything that went before. The ones closest to me seem to have mainly elderly, & some younger people in 'em, & consequently aren't TOO bad, but the other bunch down near the hospital are bad news...

Twodogs
07-27-2009, 04:56 PM
As long as I've lived in this little town, I've never carried a house key. Always left the key in my old beater pickup too, but I'm afraid those days are over. I'm not talking about people being black either. It seems like these types of housing bring trouble in all colors. I hope I'm wrong and just an old Archie Bunker type bigot, but we shall see.

Sandy G
07-27-2009, 06:04 PM
I knew the world had changed was when I saw an Oriental girl riding a bicycle down the street in my town...Typically, I don't think Orientals much like to live in places where there's NOT an Oriental community already existent...She was REAL cute, though, for my money, it'd be alrite if a whole bunch more of 'em showed up...

noonereal
07-27-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm not talking about people being black either. .

Then why do you mention it?:confused:

Charles
07-28-2009, 09:16 PM
As long as I've lived in this little town, I've never carried a house key. Always left the key in my old beater pickup too, but I'm afraid those days are over. I'm not talking about people being black either. It seems like these types of housing bring trouble in all colors. I hope I'm wrong and just an old Archie Bunker type bigot, but we shall see.

Hate to say it, but Buggtussell ain't the same either. People are getting their cars stolen, houses broken into, pulling guns on people, a couple of Mexicans even pulled a drive by on one of the city cops...shot out his living room window with a shotgun while he was watching teevee. We even have a murder every now and then.

I've started securing my shop and vehicles of a night, installed a bunch of motion sensor lights, even have a video camera in one. Still don't lock the doors of my house at night, but little Rat Face can, and will wake up the dead if anything happens. Probably should lock the house though. And although I really don't care to do it, I should probably make use of the CCW permit in my possession.

Chas

Twodogs
07-29-2009, 05:07 AM
, a couple of Mexicans even pulled a drive by on one of the city cops...shot out his living room window with a shotgun while he was watching teevee.
Chas

Oh sure, pick on the Mexican folks. Why do you even mention that? You are such a racist.

(just helping noonereal out in case he's tied up):D

Kamakiri
07-29-2009, 06:41 AM
I have no problem with anyone of any race. I simply demand respect. If someone's looking at me, I'm not afraid to look them right in the eye.

I think that most situations of intimidation can be avoided in two ways......either a German Shepherd, or a carry permit. I remember a story from a co-worker that was walking through a park, and a group of thugs was walking towards him from behind. He reached up his sweater to scratch his back, thereby exposing a .45 stuffed in the back of his pants. The crowd swiftly turned in another direction.

Charles
07-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Oh sure, pick on the Mexican folks. Why do you even mention that? You are such a racist.

Because they were? But I'm not a bigot, they were only doing the drive by's that the poor white trash won't do.

Actually, there were only a few Hispanics around here before the local turkey plant starting importing them from Mexico a little over 10 yrs ago. Now they're app 15% of the population, and brought a unique set of problems with them. Most of them are very gracious, but there are definitely a few rotten apples.

But the turkey plant, being a good corporate citizen, did the right thing. They loaded up a bunch of the local luminaries onto a corporate jet and flew them to Arkansas on an expense paid junket where they were taught how to appreciate the difference in cultures. One of the junketteers told me, "They even let me fly the Jet!"

Now if they had a shortage of help, I suppose they could have just raised their wages. But they chose this path instead. Like I said earlier, the poor are a commodity.

Chas

PS: We're not just importing all of our jobs overseas. We're bring people from overseas to do the few we have left.

merrylander
07-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Yep, they are called H1B visas but back in the colonial days they were called bond servants. Used to be when I came here you had to advertise the job and prove there were no takers, not any more. They do it so they can pay low wages not because they can't find citizens with the right skills.

Chickens do come home to roost, in a consumer driven economy if you beggar the consumer sooner or later you have a warehouse/store full of product and no customers.

noonereal
07-30-2009, 02:46 AM

Good, if you distort ones views it justifies yours.