PDA

View Full Version : The Military Industrial Complex is Doing Just Fine, Thank You.

d-ray657
02-17-2011, 08:54 PM
What a great deal - send billions and billions of dollars in arms to the least stable region in the world. Kind of like putting on a fireworks display across the street from the oil refinery.:confused:

A recent article by Fortune/CNN (http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/10/news/international/america_exports_weapons_full.fortune/) demonstrated how well the arms industry is doing in the Middle East. Not only does the US government provide most of the money to the countries that buy the arms, it also closes the deal for the purchases.

But many of the diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks confirm what arms analysts have long suspected: In backdoor dealings with other nations, American officials acted as de facto pitchmen for U.S.-made weapons.

Listen carefully to this Pete, because I'm going to bash Obama: From reports of recent sales to India, it Looks like Obama is the salesman in chief. Some analysts have referred to the increase in arms sales under the Obama administration as the "Obama arms bazaar.":mad: I don't know how much soul we have left to sell to the devil, but apparently, the President is willing to sell his soul to get jobs.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow
02-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I can see how this can be discomforting, but OTOH if we don't sell them somebody else (Russia, China, France, Germany ...) will. They're going to get the weapons. It's just an issue of which country gets the jobs associated with the sales. Unsavory perhaps, but Realpolitik.

d-ray657
02-17-2011, 09:30 PM
The thing the really bugs me is that not only are we selling the arms, we're giving the ME countries the money to buy them. We bitch about China subsidizing the cheap sh**t they sell, but we're subsidizing the fat cats in the defense industry to the tune of billions and billions.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow
02-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Did you catch the House vote yesterday in which the Dems and some Teabaggers voted down the (unnecessary and unwanted) second fighter jet engine. The GE plant was in Boehner's district and he was fighting for the unnecessary purchase while at the same time he was demanding cuts in other areas. Go figure.:confused:

d-ray657
02-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Did you catch the House vote yesterday in which the Dems and some Teabaggers voted down the (unnecessary and unwanted) second fighter jet engine. The GE plant was in Boehner's district and he was fighting for the unnecessary purchase while at the same time he was demanding cuts in other areas. Go figure.:confused:

Yeah, I had heard inklings beforehand that there might be some strange bedfellows when it came to votes defense spending. I anticipate that the sheets will be split when it comes to "entitlements."

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
02-18-2011, 01:54 AM
And, will continue to do well. Even if we must starve the people to dump ever more money into defense. The people who make weapons will be the last to suffer.

Dave

merrylander
02-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Well if you ever doubted that they owned Congress now you know. We can spend 1.5 billion to preserve jobs in defense industries (even if 40,000 would have been in the Rolls Royce plant in England) but not spend an effing nickle on our own infrastructure.

piece-itpete
02-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Listen carefully to this Pete, because I'm going to bash Obama: From reports of recent sales to India, it Looks like Obama is the salesman in chief. Some analysts have referred to the increase in arms sales under the Obama administration as the "Obama arms bazaar.":mad: I don't know how much soul we have left to sell to the devil, but apparently, the President is willing to sell his soul to get jobs.

Regards,

D-Ray

Gaa! Ack! Bleech! (cough).

:)

Pete