PDA

View Full Version : Here y'all go ..

hillbilly
03-02-2011, 12:40 AM
lil' somethin' to tawkabout .. maybe get a few hackles up. It's been sorty quiet round here. :p

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rel_tennessee_shariah_law

finnbow
03-02-2011, 08:17 AM
What a friggin' pinhead. I'd bet that Sen. Ketron has no clue what Sharia law even is. Furthermore, I bet this idiot would be the first to say that we should base our laws on the Bible.

Maybe he should retreat to the mountains and bite the heads off of some snakes.

piece-itpete
03-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Interesting. There has to be a way to block the nasty parts of it without being unconstitutional.

Better the New Testament than Sharia.

Pete

finnbow
03-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Interesting. There has to be a way to block the nasty parts of it without being unconstitutional.

Better the New Testament than Sharia.

Pete

The nasty parts to which we (should) object are already illegal (i.e., cutting off hands, beating up women). This is all political fodder for the rabid nuts who listen to Hannity IMHO.

BlueStreak
03-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Has Senator Ketron ever read the US Constitution? What a dumbass.

Dave

BlueStreak
03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
The nasty parts to which we (should) object are already illegal (i.e., cutting off hands, beating up women). This is all political fodder for the rabid nuts who listen to Hannity IMHO.

You got that right.

Dave

piece-itpete
03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
So, considering Sharia in any way shape or form in court is perfectly OK? Just curious.

Pete

BlueStreak
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM
As Finn stated:

+1.

Dave

finnbow
03-02-2011, 01:04 PM
So, considering Sharia in any way shape or form in court is perfectly OK? Just curious.

Pete

Taking on the belief system of the world's second biggest religion (and the religion of 2.5 million people in the US) is deliberately antagonistic and wrong-headed. If there are specific actions that conflict with our laws/values, they should be discussed on their own merits. Otherwise, that ignoramus in TN should shut his piehole.

From the cited article:

"Ketron said he and House Speaker Pro Tempore Judd Matheny, R-Tullahoma, were given the bill by the Tennessee Eagle Forum.

Eagle Forum state President Bobbie Patray said it was drafted by David Yerushalmi, an Arizona-based attorney who runs the Society of Americans for National Existence, a nonprofit that claims following Shariah is treasonous.

Yerushalmi has written for years in conservative media about what he calls the danger of Shariah and its central role in Islam. He has represented Pamela Geller, who leads the group Stop Islamization of America ..."

So the lawmaker didn't even write the legislative language, but had a group of bigoted zealots do it for him. Pandering scumbag.

piece-itpete
03-02-2011, 01:13 PM
A group worried about Shariah are bigoted scumbags?

I see that the worlds second biggest religion doesn't worry about antagonising us.

Pete

finnbow
03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
A group worried about Shariah are bigoted scumbags?

Yes, Pamela Geller (refenced in the article) is a bigoted scumbag. Actually, I was being polite in her case.:eek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/oct/13/ground-zero-islam

piece-itpete
03-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Ah, charming lady. You just like the bikini :)

But many have a I would say healthy distrust of Sharia. I've heard somewhere that there are parts of France that through tolerance allow the locals to run their own courts that way. I'm not saying it's true....

Forgive me for playing the devils' advocate. But how can any Sharia at all be allowed to influence our court system, outside of actual church/religious issues?

Pete

finnbow
03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Forgive me for playing the devils' advocate. But how can any Sharia at all be allowed to influence our court system, outside of actual church/religious issues?

Pete

In just the same way we allow the Bible to influence or laws???

piece-itpete
03-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Specifically in courts, or through the enforced morality of legislated laws? I'd say there is a big difference.

Pete

finnbow
03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I think there's little doubt that the Bible (i.e., the Judeo-Christian ethic) influences our laws, for better or worse. I bet that a lot of these very same concepts are contained within the Koran as well.

As for the "scary" Sharia stuff, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that any of it would be codified in our laws. This is all right-wing boogeyman BS, just to scare the rubes into voting for the GOP. No more, no less.

piece-itpete
03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
You know, the leader of our local biggest Mosque was tossed out of the country because of fundraising, um, irregularities.

Of course all the local priests and rabbis demonstrated FOR him when he was accused. So much for intolerant etc.

Until the old videos came out. There are reasons for concern.

Pete

piece-itpete
03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Btw Finn, nice discussion :)

Pete

piece-itpete
03-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Lol I just thought, here we are an engineer and a salesman arguing about court :)

Pete

finnbow
03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Lol I just thought, here we are an engineer and a salesman arguing about court :)

Pete

The blind leading the blind.:cool:

piece-itpete
03-02-2011, 03:06 PM
[Boink!] What the hell was that??!

Pete

d-ray657
03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Ya know, we already have a law that prohibits a United States court from enforcing Shaharia law. It's called the First Amendment. A court could no more base a ruling on Shaharia law than it could convict someone of failing to honor his father and mother. The jurisdiction of the courts extends only to the secular laws.

Regards,

D-Ray

P.S. Pete, your last post reminded me of one of my favorite bad jokes:

Two guys walk into a bar - the third guy ducks.

BlueStreak
03-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Taking on the belief system of the world's second biggest religion (and the religion of 2.5 million people in the US) is deliberately antagonistic and wrong-headed. If there are specific actions that conflict with our laws/values, they should be discussed on their own merits. Otherwise, that ignoramus in TN should shut his piehole.

From the cited article:

"Ketron said he and House Speaker Pro Tempore Judd Matheny, R-Tullahoma, were given the bill by the Tennessee Eagle Forum.

Eagle Forum state President Bobbie Patray said it was drafted by David Yerushalmi, an Arizona-based attorney who runs the Society of Americans for National Existence, a nonprofit that claims following Shariah is treasonous.

Yerushalmi has written for years in conservative media about what he calls the danger of Shariah and its central role in Islam. He has represented Pamela Geller, who leads the group Stop Islamization of America ..."

So the lawmaker didn't even write the legislative language, but had a group of bigoted zealots do it for him. Pandering scumbag.

"Tennessee Eagle Forum" and the "Society of Americans for National Existence", Hoo boy. The first one sounds like a Bird of Prey advocacy, the second one sounds like a bunch of apocolyptic nutbags. "The END is Nigh!!! Join us before America ceases to exist!!!!"

What's next? "The True Blue Patriotic and God Fearing Americans for Unrelenting Yankee Doodle Dandiness"?

Geez, can't anyone just love this country anymore without forming silly groups of yahoos?

Dave

BlueStreak
03-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I think there's little doubt that the Bible (i.e., the Judeo-Christian ethic) influences our laws, for better or worse. I bet that a lot of these very same concepts are contained within the Koran as well.

As for the "scary" Sharia stuff, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that any of it would be codified in our laws. This is all right-wing boogeyman BS, just to scare the rubes into voting for the GOP. No more, no less.

Again. +1. Bravo, old boy.

Dave

piece-itpete
03-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah, we should all go Code Pink :p

Ya know, we already have a law that prohibits a United States court from enforcing Shaharia law. It's called the First Amendment. A court could no more base a ruling on Shaharia law than it could convict someone of failing to honor his father and mother. The jurisdiction of the courts extends only to the secular laws.

Regards,

D-Ray

P.S. Pete, your last post reminded me of one of my favorite bad jokes:

Two guys walk into a bar - the third guy ducks.

Ah so counselor. And groooooaannn. :)

Pete

finnbow
03-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Yeah, we should all go Code Pink :p

Works for me. I look just stunning in a pink dress.;)

http://freefoto.ca/?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15983&g2_serialNumber=2

BlueStreak
03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Works for me. I look just stunning in a pink dress.;)

http://freefoto.ca/?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15983&g2_serialNumber=2

That's fine, it's your business. Just don't let us see any "stains" on it, we'll never let you live that down.

Dave

piece-itpete
03-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Rotflmao!!!

Pete