PDA

View Full Version : Workers of the world unite!

Charles
03-08-2011, 08:21 AM
You have nothing to lose but your chains!!!

http://www.minyanville.com/articles/print.php?a=33198

If there's any truth to this, we're more like China than we care to admit.

Chas

finnbow
03-08-2011, 08:34 AM

Chas

Really. They're paying the prisoners $0.23/hour for their labor while charging the government countless billions for the assembled missiles. Brilliant.

BlueStreak
03-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Really. They're paying the prisoners $0.23/hour for their labor while charging the government countless billions for the assembled missiles. Brilliant.

True unfettered capitalism at it's best.:p

Chas, I would think a former prison guard would know we've used prison labor for a long, long time. Nothing new there. However, I wasn't aware that it went so high tech.

Thanks for the article.

Dave

finnbow
03-08-2011, 12:41 PM

They made a movie about stuff like this - Schindler's List.

merrylander
03-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Well in WW II the prisoners in Nazi factories making 9mm amunition used to hold back about 3/4 of the powder from one cartridge and dump it into the next one along with its normal charge. The weak one would jam in the barrel and the next would blow apart the breech - in your face. Sure hope we don't need to use those missiles.

Charles
03-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Chas, I would think a former prison guard would know we've used prison labor for a long, long time. Nothing new there. However, I wasn't aware that it went so high tech.

Thanks for the article.

Dave

They made items to be used in the other institutions, such as soap, license plates, and office furniture for the state. Anything which was in direct competition with private industry, or allowing private industry to use the con's as slave labor was prohibited.

But that was the state and 25 yrs ago. For all I know, they have them running a boiler room operation out of the joint now.

I understand the Dep't of Mental Health used the crazies for some kind of letter writing operation in which they were granted access to peoples addresses.

I think that got shut down pretty quick.

Chas

PS: For a time the state was selling mailing lists taken from public records, but I think that had the kibosh put on it as well.

Charles
03-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Well in WW II the prisoners in Nazi factories making 9mm amunition used to hold back about 3/4 of the powder from one cartridge and dump it into the next one along with its normal charge. The weak one would jam in the barrel and the next would blow apart the breech - in your face. Sure hope we don't need to use those missiles.

Squib round, something to watch out for. Any time you have a round which doesn't sound right , or recoil right, you need to clear your weapon and examine the barrel for an obstruction. Most the the time they are a result of a casing which didn't receive a powder charge.

I think it was Remington who produced a bunch of cheap .22LR rounds in which half of them sounded like squibs, but weren't. Some of the people I used to shoot with complained about them.

Chas

merrylander
03-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Squib round, something to watch out for. Any time you have a round which doesn't sound right , or recoil right, you need to clear your weapon and examine the barrel for an obstruction. Most the the time they are a result of a casing which didn't receive a powder charge.

I think it was Remington who produced a bunch of cheap .22LR rounds in which half of them sounded like squibs, but weren't. Some of the people I used to shoot with complained about them.

Chas

Right, but in the heat of battle many a Luger was being rapidly fired and -BOOM.:p

BlueStreak
03-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Right, but in the heat of battle many a Luger was being rapidly fired and -BOOM.:p

Ha, ha! Serves the Nazi bastard right.

BlueStreak
03-12-2011, 01:09 AM

Chas

Back to the OP.

I think you're right. Won't be long before the vast majority of us will be little more than peasants. Only our masters won't be of the communist variety. They'll wear an entirely different hat. But, we will be subjugated to their will none-the-less.

Dave

whell
03-12-2011, 08:17 AM
..and you guys think Glenn Beck is hysterical...

http://www.unicor.gov/about/about_fpi_programs/?navlocation=InmateProgram

merrylander
03-12-2011, 08:26 AM
..and you guys think Glenn Beck is hysterically funny

Fixed it for ya.:D

Charles
03-12-2011, 08:55 AM
..and you guys think Glenn Beck is hysterical...

The best I remember, the desirability of a prison industries job was directly related to how much contraband you could steal.

The kitchen was a favorite. BTW, they had cases and cases of Budweiser brewers yeast stacked up in the storeroom.

Not that it helped the hooch that much, I don't see how anyone could drink that stuff.

Chas

BlueStreak
03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Beck IS hysterical. Actually, I regard him to be a total lunatic and ignore him completely now.

At least this UNICOR thing is an ATTEMPT at rehabilitation.

What would you do?

Dave

Charles
03-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Beck IS hysterical. Actually, I regard him to be a total lunatic and ignore him completely now.

At least this UNICOR thing is an ATTEMPT at rehabilitation.

What would you do?

Dave

Not too sure what I think of UNICOR, don't really understand the particulars of their operation.

Now it appears to me that they are using inmate labor while they are sub contracting work for the likes of Boeing. If I'm correct in my assumption, that boils down to using slave labor to compete with private industry.

And people complain about the loss of high paying jobs in America? This is where the rub lies with me.

I looked at the UNICOR website and it paints a rosy picture. But an ACCURATE picture...

I suppose they save the government a few bucks, kick a little in to reimburse the victims, teach the cons a little about production and instill a work ethic, etc, etc.

But in reality, they're paying them nothing, Boeing ain't gonna hire them when they get out of the joint (maybe a couple of exceptional ones, but someone would hire them anyway), and a lot of them are doing life +50 anyway...they ain't gettin' out.

Forget The Green Mile, The Birdman of Alcatraz, and all of the rest of those Hollyweird flicks...that ain't the way it is. The joint ain't full of harmless potheads and good old boys who made a mistake.

Now I worked at the Missouri State Penitentiary, and that's where they used to keep the worst of the worst, so consider this and how it relates to my views.

At the time, 80% of those they let out the front door got rolled back in, parole violations, new crimes, etc. That didn't figure in the ones who got locked up somewhere else or shot.

As time has gone on, my views on the cons have softened somewhat, a lot of them never had a chance. Then again, how do you give a chance to someone who will kill for a pack of cigarettes? Even the State of Missouri officially gave up on rehabilitation. They stated that was no longer a goal.

Guess I'm starting to come across like Smedley Butler, but law enforcement and corrections is turning into a money making operation. And using convicts for slave labor under the guise of rehabilitation is just wrong.

Like the "evil" warden told Luke, "You've got to get your mind right." That's why they're in there, and why they'll be back.

That said, I have the up most respect for those who managed to live through a situation like that and become productive citizens.

Chas

whell
03-12-2011, 08:26 PM
'course the alternative of locking them all up and throwing away the key has merit, but cant rightly be applied in every situation. I taught college credit courses in a prison for a couple years. Most of the students were there to get a change of scenery. A couple were there to actually try to make their lives better.

Rehabbing is a noble idea, but I have to admit that the taxpayers aren't getting their money's worth most of the time out of the effort.

Charles
03-12-2011, 09:35 PM
'course the alternative of locking them all up and throwing away the key has merit, but cant rightly be applied in every situation. I taught college credit courses in a prison for a couple years. Most of the students were there to get a change of scenery. A couple were there to actually try to make their lives better.

Rehabbing is a noble idea, but I have to admit that the taxpayers aren't getting their money's worth most of the time out of the effort.

I always appreciate the views of someone who has spend a bit of time on the inside looking out.

My mentor on moving from being a sub to an actual contractor was an ex-con, armed robbery among other things, and I learned a great deal from him. And this was before I was reduced to being a COI due to economic reasons.

He taught me a lot on how the world works, hopefully I won't be reduced to applying some of his "finer" lessons.

Did I mention, the cops don't have a "Bunco Squad"? He for sure did. And he was right.

Now he was a straight up guy and played it by the book. But he also told me, "I'll never be poor again."

One of the most honest people I've ever met.

One of the few ex-cons who went on to making something of themselves. But at heart, he was still a con, and he would admit to it.

I've been around worse people.

Chas

BlueStreak
03-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Okay, I understand what your saying, Chas and Whell. Only I would tend to look at it as the gooberment supplying private industry with slave labor, rather than competing against private industry with slave labor. (Citing the Boeing example used by Chas.)

But, thanks for giving me a clearer insight to the topic.

I've never been inside a prison for any reason. But, I have met a few miscreants who seem to have been born without the capacity to know right from wrong AT ALL, or have any concern for others whatsoever. I even knew one jackass who thought getting arrested and thrown in the slammer was fun. He enjoyed going out and deliberately making the cops chase him. Called himself a "drama junkie". Unbelievable.

Dave

merrylander
03-13-2011, 08:31 AM
When I was still programming big computers for Bell Canada the company decided to teach computer programming to the inmates at St. Vincent de Paul prison in Montreal. They even hired some of the graduates.

Now here all the corporations do is piss and moan about intrusive government, so WTF are they when it comes to rehab?

They want all the perks of citizens yet if I was to count all the major corporations that behave like model citizens I probably would not have to take both mitts off.

Aside: Who was the jackass that came up with Daylight Saving Time?

d-ray657
03-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Okay, I understand what your saying, Chas and Whell. Only I would tend to look at it as the gooberment supplying private industry with slave labor, rather than competing against private industry with slave labor. (Citing the Boeing example used by Chas.)

But, thanks for giving me a clearer insight to the topic.

I've never been inside a prison for any reason. But, I have met a few miscreants who seem to have been born without the capacity to know right from wrong AT ALL, or have any concern for others whatsoever. I even knew one jackass who thought getting arrested and thrown in the slammer was fun. He enjoyed going out and deliberately making the cops chase him. Called himself a "drama junkie". Unbelievable.

Dave

My first visit to a prison was when I was appointed to represent a prisoner (in for murder 1) who had brought a civil rights action against the prison. The sound of the bars closing behind you is not a pleasant one.

The greatest deterrent effect of beng imprisoned as far as I am concerned is my desire to maintain my virginity.

Rob, not only do the corporations not do much to uphold their social responsibilities, the reverse is happening with prisons. A large number of prisions are now run by private contractors. It is in the interests of the prison corporations to incarderate as many as possible. The lobbying organization for the prison idustry wrote the Arizona statute requiring Arizona authorities to detain undocumented workers. Maybe that is why the US has the highest propotion of prisoners among developed nations.

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657
03-13-2011, 03:43 PM

BITD, the change to Daylight Savings Time was like a national holiday for my son. That meant we could play catch after work for that much longer, and that baseball practice could go that much later. For much the same reason, he mourned to return to standard time in the fall.

Regards,

D-Ray

bhunter
03-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Agreement again. Twice a year we have to play with all the clocks. It sucks. I wish we'd stay on standard time, then again, I'd prefer zulu for all.

BlueStreak
03-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Agreement again. Twice a year we have to play with all the clocks. It sucks. I wish we'd stay on standard time, then again, I'd prefer zulu for all.

Military time---24 hour clock. This a.m.-p.m. crap is what annoys me.

Dave

d-ray657
03-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Military time---24 hour clock. This a.m.-p.m. crap is what annoys me.

Dave

You'd like my car then. It has a 24 hour clock.

This morning the time went from 02:59 to 02:00

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
03-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Don't make no difference, it's still 4:00 PM somewhere.

I did notice that all of the stupid birds and squirrels showed up at the feeder an hour late today. Thinking about giving the whole damn bunch their walking papers.

Chas

d-ray657
03-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Don't make no difference, it's still 4:00 PM somewhere.

I did notice that all of the stupid birds and squirrels showed up at the feeder an hour late today. Thinking about giving the whole damn bunch their walking papers.

Chas

Yeah, I suppose you're gonna let the squirrels cross the border and take their jobs.

Regards,

D-Ray