PDA

View Full Version : Why government workers are fairly paid

d-ray657
04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
How many times have you come across a situation in your workplace where it was made abundantly clear to you that the company you work for is not a democracy. Company management pretty much has autocratic rule.

In the public sector, however, the workers are employed by democratic institutions. Some of those on the right see that as a problem, but I see is as an example of how income can be allocated fairly. People like Walker were complaining that some workers were approaching $100k in compensation. They don't take into account, however, that people earning that much generally had multiple degrees. Overall, however, we see people earning a good living wage with a retirement that gives them security in their old age.

What we don't see is the kind of income stratification that exists in the private sector. The highest paid state executive makes a little over $200k. (http://doa.alaska.gov/dop/fileadmin/socc/pdf/bkgrnd_socc23.pdf) The salary for the POTUS is $400K, something a bank executive would scoff at. (Granted the prez's perks probably push the value of the package up considerably.) The income stratification in the private sector is incredibly higher. In 2004, the average CEO made 400 times what the average production worker made (http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/news/economy/ceo_pay/).

One would expect democratic institutions to have a more egalitarian pay structure, and the numbers sure bear it out. How much do you think the the taxpayers would like to pay $8million bonuses? We pay for them at the gas tank, in our credit card fees, with our cell phone, our health insurance, and on and on and on.

You can convince me the the American work force is underpaid, but not that the government workers are overpaid.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
04-29-2011, 03:36 PM
excellent perspective, thanks

finnbow
04-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I think the anecdotal stories of NYC (and other big city) cops, fireman, etc. retiring on 100% disability at age 45 and working another job. This certainly happens in Montgomery County, MD.

bhunter
04-29-2011, 03:44 PM
How many times have you come across a situation in your workplace where it was made abundantly clear to you that the company you work for is not a democracy. Company management pretty much has autocratic rule.

In the public sector, however, the workers are employed by democratic institutions. Some of those on the right see that as a problem, but I see is as an example of how income can be allocated fairly. People like Walker were complaining that some workers were approaching $100k in compensation. They don't take into account, however, that people earning that much generally had multiple degrees. Overall, however, we see people earning a good living wage with a retirement that gives them security in their old age.

What we don't see is the kind of income stratification that exists in the private sector. The highest paid state executive makes a little over $200k. (http://doa.alaska.gov/dop/fileadmin/socc/pdf/bkgrnd_socc23.pdf) The salary for the POTUS is $400K, something a bank executive would scoff at. (Granted the prez's perks probably push the value of the package up considerably.) The income stratification in the private sector is incredibly higher. In 2004, the average CEO made 400 times what the average production worker made (http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/news/economy/ceo_pay/).

One would expect democratic institutions to have a more egalitarian pay structure, and the numbers sure bear it out. How much do you think the the taxpayers would like to pay $8million bonuses? We pay for them at the gas tank, in our credit card fees, with our cell phone, our health insurance, and on and on and on.

You can convince me the the American work force is underpaid, but not that the government workers are overpaid.

Regards,

D-Ray

Perhaps government workers ought mostly be part time or volunteers. I do not think the analogy is valid. I also question the notion that government bureaucracies are inherently more democratic. I tend to think of government as the employer of last resort—an employer that accepts those that can't be competitive in the private sector.

How much do government workers contribute to our GNP?

d-ray657
04-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Perhaps government workers ought mostly be part time or volunteers. I do not think the analogy is valid. I also question the notion that government bureaucracies are inherently more democratic. I tend to think of government as the employer of last resort—an employer that accepts those that can't be competitive in the private sector.

Do you have data to back that up? I tend to doubt it. There are plenty of intelligent people with a strong sense of service. Think the service academies get the dregs. They produce government workers. Many schools of education are selective in their entrance requirements. There are plenty of wannabe cops working for private security companies, because the standards for getting into the academy are high.

If you want to believe that government services are superfluous, I can see why you would want part time or volunteer workers. I would rather have competent workers who bring credentials and develop experience and expertise in their jobs. Wouldn't you rather have an experienced food inspector, building inspector, fire marshall, law enforcement officer, air traffic controller, and yes, regulator?

BTW, it's not valid to compare people who for wages with people who work for wages?:confused: Or it's not valid to compare the salaries of people whose companies trade in paper with the salaries who run a state-wide or nation-wide (actually world-wide) operation? It's not valid to point out that the compensation in the private sector is extremely top-heavy, particularly compared with the compensation of people who work for us?

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
04-29-2011, 04:11 PM
We already have volunteer firemen. Hey maybe the CEO of Goldman Sachs will return his salary and volunteer his services.

Sorry chum, I know you will deny it until hell freezes over but most businesses here are just mean, cheap bastards. They demand 110% of employees but only want to pay 75%.

whell
04-30-2011, 10:15 AM

Public-sector pay is not set by competitive markets, and because many classes of public workers provide government-monopolized services, it's hard to know what the work of many government employee is really worth. Without benchmarking total compensation against the knowledge skills and abilities of like jobs in the public vs private sector, comparisons are not very meaningful. Also, the ability to trade current total compensation for relative job stability, generally richer benefits, and the ability to retire early with a comparatively generous compensation package creates additional disparity in a comparison of public vs private sector compensation.

Regards,

D-Ray

Ok, but how do you think a more egalitarian pay structure would fly at the average large or boutique law firm? Not terribly well, I suspect.

I think the topic of compensation is historically far more of a subject of irritation on the left than it is on the right. The left tends to be highly resentful of executive pay, and complain about how the average worker gets screwed. Yet, here's a thread that supports a more egalitarian comp structure, while suggesting that compensation in such programs is more on par with average private sector wages. It strikes me as a bit odd.

The public is focused on compensation of government workers because labor is the number one controllable cost for most organizations, and because state and federal institutions are in a budget crunch. They also question the relative value of the contributions of those gov't workers for the wage dollars spent when compared to their own job and compensation - just as some do as they look around their own workplace on occasion. Frankly, since tax dollars pay wages, don't folks have a logical basis to ask those questions and expect good answers?

Another area of disparity worth exploring is the wages that are spent supporting the inefficiencies in government that we all complain about. Do wage dollars spent in the public sector yield the same value for the dollar that they do in the private sector? I strongly suspect not, and I susect that that value is greater in the private sector, but I'm not aware of any objective data on the topic either.

d-ray657
04-30-2011, 12:33 PM
I reject the proposition that market provides the only appropriate measure of value. I love music and I love sports, but I don't believe that rock stars or sports stars (or movie stars or bank presidents) provide the same intrinsic value to society as teachers, firefighters and cops. How much has Charlie Sheen contributed to our standard of living?

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Public-sector pay is not set by competitive markets, and because many classes of public workers provide government-monopolized services, it's hard to know what the work of many government employee is really worth. Without benchmarking total compensation against the knowledge skills and abilities of like jobs in the public vs private sector, comparisons are not very meaningful. Also, the ability to trade current total compensation for relative job stability, generally richer benefits, and the ability to retire early with a comparatively generous compensation package creates additional disparity in a comparison of public vs private sector compensation.

Are you serious? How does bookkeeping in the public sector differ from the private sector? A civil engineer working for the government is still a civil engineer. It is not like the public sector is some mysterious cabal.

If Saint Ronnie and the GOP had not set about destroying unions and the middle class benefits in the private sector would be better. If the votors would have not let all the right wing BS convince them the we have a great healthcare system some form of universal healthcare would have been in place years ago, saving companies money and making them more competitive. Why do you think GM builds the big Chev Impalas in Oshawa Ontario? It gives them a competitive advantage of about $1500 per car thanks to Single Payer.

Ah so you admit that their pensions and benefit packages did not come free - they gave way in wage rates, so they did not get summat for nowt.

whell
04-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I reject the proposition that market provides the only appropriate measure of value. I love music and I love sports, but I don't believe that rock stars or sports stars (or movie stars or bank presidents) provide the same intrinsic value to society as teachers, firefighters and cops. How much has Charlie Sheen contributed to our standard of living?

Regards,

D-Ray

The market is the most efficient method of determining value. I could hang a $10000 price tag on my 1998 Olds Bravada, but it's not likely that the market would support that price. I could also hold out for a $100000 per year job as a short order cook, but I think I'd be waiting a long time before anyone would hire me.

Now, I can got to work for the gov't and pull down $60000 as an Asst District Attorney. I may find that from time to time I'm opposed by counsel that earns twice or more than my annual wage. Does that make the gov't and their pay scale wrong, or is the free market wrong for allowing the other attorney to make more?

whell
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Are you serious? How does bookkeeping in the public sector differ from the private sector? A civil engineer working for the government is still a civil engineer. It is not like the public sector is some mysterious .

There are many reasons for variable output from jobs at two different employers that may require the same knowledge skills and abilities. This is not uncommon in the private sector, so its not a quantum leap of logic to consider that there may be such differences between public and private sector jobs. While a bookkeeper at employer "A" may have one set of expectations regarding productivity, hours of work, incentive pay, software used, access to resources, etc., employer "B" may have a very different environment that produces different levels of productivity and value of the wage dollars spent.

BlueStreak
04-30-2011, 01:39 PM

Perhaps you should volunteer your time? After all you are incompetent and grossly overcompensated, and I personally regard your occupation to be trivial and unnecessary, whatever it is. Am I correct in this assumption?

:rolleyes:
Dave

merrylander
05-01-2011, 08:01 AM

That is an excellent argument for shutting down Wall Street since they contribute nada, nothing, nowt.:p

merrylander
05-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Another area of disparity worth exploring is the wages that are spent supporting the inefficiencies in government that we all complain about. Do wage dollars spent in the public sector yield the same value for the dollar that they do in the private sector? I strongly suspect not, and I susect that that value is greater in the private sector, but I'm not aware of any objective data on the topic either.

Links please? Not all of us complain about inefficiencies in government, that tends to fall into the realm of "They Say":rolleyes:

whell
05-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Links please? Not all of us complain about inefficiencies in government, that tends to fall into the realm of "They Say":rolleyes:

I'd post links, but I don't want to piss off noone. ;)

finnbow
05-01-2011, 09:53 AM

I don't think it's the government, per se, but the size of an organization. I think, by definition, the larger the organization, the more inefficient it becomes.

I remember in business school a professor who claimed that any organization with greater than 500 people under one roof can stay very busy (internally) without really processing any input or outputting a product (i.e., people think they're really "busy," while actually just churning from within catering to the internal needs of the organization). While somewhat of an exaggeration, my experience since then have largely upheld the merit of his underlying point.

The bottom line - for any large organization (government, Army, GM, Microsoft, GE, AIG, etc.), certain levels of inefficiency are inherent. Railing against it is quixotic at best, disingenuous at worst.

whell
05-01-2011, 12:38 PM
The bottom line - for any large organization (government, Army, GM, Microsoft, GE, AIG, etc.), certain levels of inefficiency are inherent. Railing against it is quixotic at best, disingenuous at worst.

While I don't disagree with this, the best organizations are those that maximize their efficiencies. To suggest that this is an inherent weakness of large organization is partially true, but to suggest that its a weakness that cannot be addressed is just a disingenuous. This is one of the central lessons of the last 20 - 30 years of international business.

finnbow
05-01-2011, 01:09 PM
While I don't disagree with this, the best organizations are those that maximize their efficiencies. To suggest that this is an inherent weakness of large organization is partially true, but to suggest that its a weakness that cannot be addressed is just a disingenuous. This is one of the central lessons of the last 20 - 30 years of international business.

I'm not saying that it cannot be addressed or improved, but yes it is inherent to large organizations, both from within government and from without. When one looks at case studies of outsourcing government functions to the private sector, it often comes up more expensive and with lesser results. Neither government nor the private sector is inherently good or bad. Well managed organizations are more efficient than poorly managed organizations, period.

Living here in DC, I know many people who work for the government and many others who work for IBM, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, Bechtel, etc. For the most part, there is no material difference with how the government and these big companies are run, in terms of efficiency (or lack thereof). For that matter, many of the top executives/managers in these mega-companies came from the government. From my experience, the real dumbasses around here are with the beltway bandits (consulting services companies) servicing both.

BTW, top quality government managers (of which there are many) invariably get very sizable raises when they go to work in the private sector for these big companies or consultancies.

FWIW, I'd still rather mail a letter for $.44 with the USPS than send a $10 mailing envelope with FedEx.

whell
05-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Living here in DC, I know many people who work for the government and many others who work for IBM, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, Bechtel, etc. For the most part, there is no material difference with how the government and these big companies are run, in terms of efficiency (or lack thereof).

Mr. Krugman might idealize the Chinese business/government model:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/30/apple-chinese-workers-treated-inhumanely

On the other hand, businesses have a choice of raising prices or increasing efficiencies to keep costs down, or some combination of both, in a competitive market. In the public sector, we can opt to print money, raise taxes or go deeper in debt, but the choice of managing to increase efficiencies and / or do away with redundant services or agencies is almost never considered or acted upon.

d-ray657
05-01-2011, 01:30 PM
It sounded like the company that was enforcing the hellish working conditions. The Chinese government can be faulted for failing to enforce regulations designed to protect workers. That is what the GOP's masters want here. Keep the unions out, do away with the minimum wage and overtime requirements, lobby for more lax safety standards . . . . In other words, what was going on in the link sounds more like a GOP paradise than Krugman's dream.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow
05-01-2011, 01:34 PM
On the other hand, businesses have a choice of raising prices or increasing efficiencies to keep costs down, or some combination of both, in a competitive market. In the public sector, we can opt to print money, raise taxes or go deeper in debt, but the choice of managing to increase efficiencies and / or do away with redundant services or agencies is almost never considered or acted upon.

Raising prices to keep costs down? That's a new one on me.

Efficiently managing a particular government agency/enterprise vs. the existence of redundant services/agencies are really two separate issues IMHO. The former is an internal issue (that of agency/enterprise), the latter a political issue. Blaming government workers who work in seemingly redundant agencies is missing the point IMHO (point being that it's Congress' fault, not the agencies or workers therein). Similarly, Congress unnecessarily supported building redundant F-35 engines by private sector firms (Pratt&Whitney, GE/Rolls Royce). How efficient was that?

And if the private sector is so damn efficient, why are all the government subsidies necessary for Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Ag, etc.? The GOP doesn't seem to be all that hot about shit-canning these unnecessary expenditures, just picking on their latest boogeyman (the public sector worker). It just the latest in a long line (Blacks, Gays, Muslims, Immigrants, etc.) in the GOP politics of resentment. Once they alienate everybody, they'll simply become the party of angry rednecks (see recent post on brainstorm proclamation by a GOP politician from SC).

whell
05-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Lets try it again, this time with punctuation

On the other hand, businesses have a choice of raising prices, or increasing efficiencies to keep costs down, or some combination of both, in a competitive market.

d-ray657
05-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Raising prices to keep costs down? That's a new one on me.

Efficiently managing a particular government agency/enterprise vs. the existence of redundant services/agencies are really two separate issues IMHO. The former is an internal issue (that of agency/enterprise), the latter a political issue. Blaming government workers who work in seemingly redundant agencies is missing the point IMHO (point being that it's Congress' fault, not the agencies or workers therein). Similarly, Congress unnecessarily supported building redundant F-35 engines by private sector firms (Pratt&Whitney, GE/Rolls Royce). How efficient was that?

And if the private sector is so damn efficient, why are all the government subsidies necessary for Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Ag, etc.? The GOP doesn't seem to be all that hot about shit-canning these unnecessary expenditures, just picking on their latest boogeyman (the public sector worker). It just the latest in a long line (Blacks, Gays, Muslims, Immigrants, etc.) in the GOP politics of resentment. Once they alienate everybody, they'll simply become the party of angry rednecks (see recent post on brainstorm proclamation by a GOP politician from SC).

First, I'll defend Whell (as if he were not completely capable of doing so on his own). It seems that the three options he laid out were 1) increasing prices 2) lowering costs by increasing efficiencies, or 3) a combination of 1 and 2. I think you just forgot your smiley, Finn. :p

Next, Finn, your second and third paragraphs are dead on. Therefore, I'll concur in part in your opinion. :cool:

Regards,

D-Ray

whell
05-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Efficiently managing a particular government agency/enterprise vs. the existence of redundant services/agencies are really two separate issues IMHO. The former is an internal issue (that of agency/enterprise), the latter a political issue. Blaming government workers who work in seemingly redundant agencies is missing the point IMHO (point being that it's Congress' fault, not the agencies or workers therein). Similarly, Congress unnecessarily supported building redundant F-35 engines by private sector
firms (Pratt&Whitney, GE/Rolls Royce). How efficient was that?

This may be making my point. Pratt&Whitney, GE/Rolls Royce don't (or potentially shouldn't) give a crap about the fiscal stability of government as long as the contracts keep coming. If politicians make a political calculation to keep work in their districts, versus cutting jobs which may cut votes, that maximizes political gain but is damned inefficient with the dollars spent on compensation (and taxes). However, left to their own devices, if it were only up to Lockheed Martin to pick the winners and losers in their supply chain based on quality, cost and ability to deliver, it would likely be a non-issue with a single supplier providing the engines.

Politics is about boogeymen Look at your own post: "Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Ag, etc., party of angry rednecks."

Now, for what its worth, I'm all for cutting all subsidies and tax breaks to business. One central reform that is necessary is reform of our tax policy, which is more about directing behavior than it is funding the essential operations of government.

merrylander
05-01-2011, 01:56 PM

You mean like the C-17s that the airforce did not want, but Congress authorized anyway? Or the F-35 fighters that we don't need, never mind an extra engine. Or two new aircraft carriers currently under construction that will be obsolete before they even get launched. When it comes to wasting money nobody does it like the Pentagon. And I sure know about those guys, there was a time when my car knew its own way to Fort Monmouth.:rolleyes:

Both parties are equally guilty, look at the howls of anguish during base closings, or when Gates wanted to shut down that useless tri-partite committee in VA.

merrylander
05-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Steve Pearlstein had a good column on how business is bribing (oops , lobbying) like mad to kill asll regulation and with Robert's Corporate Court they will likely get what they want. I will never buy anyting from Apple, Jobs is a traitor IMHO.

finnbow
05-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Politics is about boogeymen Look at your own post: "Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Ag, etc., party of angry rednecks."

Now, for what its worth, I'm all for cutting all subsidies and tax breaks to business. One central reform that is necessary is reform of our tax policy, which is more about directing behavior than it is funding the essential operations of government.

I wasn't creating boogeyman out of Big Oil, Big Pharma, and Big Ag - just describing them in familiar terms and casting fault at Congress' fealty to them at taxpayers' expense. As for rednecks, I'm simply quoting the referenced SC Republican who said that the GOP would suffer a huge "void" without rednecks. It's becoming more true day by day as the GOP continues its policies of alienating blacks, gays, Muslims, gov't. workers, etc.

I'm in absolute and unequivocal agreement with your criticism of our tax code. It's an abomination and a national embarrassment.

whell
05-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Both parties are equally guilty, look at the howls of anguish during base closings, or when Gates wanted to shut down that useless tri-partite committee in VA.

You asked earlier for links about how wage dollars are spent inefficiently by the gov't, but I think you've cites some reasonable examples.

finnbow
05-01-2011, 02:28 PM
You asked earlier for links about how wage dollars are spent inefficiently by the gov't, but I think you've cites some reasonable examples.

The trouble is that the accusations about inefficient government come from GOP politicians for the most part. They, far more than the Executive Branch itself, are the source of such inefficient government spending. That's what so galling about hearing the GOP rail on about such issues while steadfastly defending all DoD expenditures, oil subsidies, etc.

d-ray657
05-01-2011, 02:30 PM

The examples given discussed contracting functions to private enterprise and how much of a sacred cow defense spending is. I really didn't see any example of overpaid public workers. Indeed, most of what I have seen is how much private industry is firmly attached to the government teat.

Regards,

D-ray

finnbow
05-01-2011, 02:52 PM
The examples given discussed contracting functions to private enterprise and how much of a sacred cow defense spending is. I really didn't see any example of overpaid public workers. Indeed, most of what I have seen is how much private industry is firmly attached to the government teat.

Regards,

D-ray

Not to mention that most of the high tech weapons procurements are done on a cost-plus basis, a method that does not reward efficiency. In fact, the more you spend (i.e., the less efficient you are), the more you get paid (other than when the Government succeeds is disallowing costs, an exceedingly rare event).

merrylander
05-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Regards,

D-ray

Attached so well they look like a growth. I did a lot of consulting work with many of those Gummint Kontractors at one time. As a friend described what we do "We are Bullshit artists" and he was pretty well spot on. Basically we would write things up so that a sow's ear looked like a silk purse.

What was real fun were the pricing sessions - hoo boy.:p

bhunter
05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Do you have data to back that up? I tend to doubt it. There are plenty of intelligent people with a strong sense of service. Think the service academies get the dregs. They produce government workers. Many schools of education are selective in their entrance requirements. There are plenty of wannabe cops working for private security companies, because the standards for getting into the academy are high.

I realize there are people that work just for a sense of service, but there are also many that just want the benefits of government employment. Given the monopoly that government has over their created functions, it is difficult to find comparisons with private enterprise. The Postal Service might be an apt comparison. Could the Postal Service exist without their mandated monopoly over mail?

If you want to believe that government services are superfluous, I can see why you would want part time or volunteer workers. I would rather have competent workers who bring credentials and develop experience and expertise in their jobs. Wouldn't you rather have an experienced food inspector, building inspector, fire marshall, law enforcement officer, air traffic controller, and yes, regulator?

"Experienced" also implies entrenched, complacent, and careerist inspired motivations. How does one eliminate a bureaucracy once it is created?

BTW, it's not valid to compare people who for wages with people who work for wages?:confused: Or it's not valid to compare the salaries of people whose companies trade in paper with the salaries who run a state-wide or nation-wide (actually world-wide) operation? It's not valid to point out that the compensation in the private sector is extremely top-heavy, particularly compared with the compensation of people who work for us?

Regards,

D-Ray

Unless one owns stock in a company why would one care what the CEO earns? The citizen has an interest in minimizing the cost of government because it has a direct monetary cost and it restricts liberty.

bhunter
05-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Perhaps you should volunteer your time? After all you are incompetent and grossly overcompensated, and I personally regard your occupation to be trivial and unnecessary, whatever it is. Am I correct in this assumption?

:rolleyes:
Dave

The difference is that if I'm incompetent and overcompensated, my clients would decline my services. Hence, I'd either need to lower my rates or increase my competence. In an entrenched government bureaucracy, there are no such limits. Mr. Bureaucrat gets his money regardless of his competence; moreover, since government holds a monopoly, there is no alternative for the service.

finnbow
05-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I realize there are people that work just for a sense of service, but there are also many that just want the benefits of government employment. Given the monopoly that government has over their created functions, it is difficult to find comparisons with private enterprise. The Postal Service might be an apt comparison. Could the Postal Service exist without their mandated monopoly over mail?

I'm not sure they have a "mandated monopoly over mail" (i.e., FedEx and UPS will take your $.44 letters for $10).

"Experienced" also implies entrenched, complacent, and careerist inspired motivations.

Experience to me implies capability. Is your own experience in your job a detriment to performance?

Unless one owns stock in a company why would one care what the CEO earns? The citizen has an interest in minimizing the cost of government because it has a direct monetary cost and it restricts liberty.

Keep in mind that most middle class (or higher) people are stockholders (often through mutual funds). In fact, over half of all American households own equities in some form. (http://www.ici.org/pdf/rpt_08_equity_owners.pdf )

If I were king, I would prefer that the CEO's of McDonalds, Walmart, etc. made less and their employees made more. This would lessen the need for public assistance for such people (a concern to everyone, including Republicans).

merrylander
05-01-2011, 03:48 PM

"Experienced" also implies entrenched, complacent, and careerist inspired motivations. How does one eliminate a bureaucracy once it is created?

The postal service is also burdened with a hell of large payment it has to make to Washington. Priority Mail is as good as FedEx at less than half the price. Not only that with USPS I am notified when the mail is in, FedEx drops it on the front porch or by the garage door and runs.

And there are no entrenced people in private corporations, boy you must have worked at different companies than I have seen here.

No stock in the company but as my wife says (loudly) when she is picking up her prescriptions "Whose golden parachute am I paying for this time?"

Gotta run New Tricks is coming on.

bhunter
05-01-2011, 03:49 PM
That is an excellent argument for shutting down Wall Street since they contribute nada, nothing, nowt.:p

"Meanwhile over at the casino" was a line in a complex analysis math text I used in college. Sandwiched between meteorology, protein folding, and the behavior of sub-atomic particles was stock market behavior. I'd argue that, like a lot of bureaucracies, Wall Street was once useful, but has become too complex and, dare I say, bureaucratic. There are too many people there that have a straw in the till.

finnbow
05-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Here's an interesting counterpoint with regard to teachers' pay in which it argues that teachers are paid far too little.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/opinion/01eggers.html

bhunter
05-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Here's an interesting counterpoint with regard to teachers' pay in which it argues that teachers are paid far too little.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/opinion/01eggers.html

Weren't teachers paid even less, say, fifty years ago? I think they did a better job then than they do today. We've been tossing money towards education for decades and yet have not seen a demonstrable increase in the end product, namely, student achievement. Is it lack of family? Lack of quality teachers? Or perhaps, just bad students? It seems, that despite all the obstacles that recent Southeast Asian immigrants endure, they quickly do well in school and move up the socio-economic scale.

The article, in advocating higher incomes for teacher in order to attract the more qualified, supports my previous assertion that government employs the less qualified.

I suspect a correlation between the changing cultural demographics and student achievement being more significant than teacher salaries and/or teaching abilities.

finnbow
05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Weren't teachers paid even less, say, fifty years ago? I think they did a better job then than they do today. We've been tossing money towards education for decades and yet have not seen a demonstrable increase in the end product, namely, student achievement. Is it lack of family? Lack of quality teachers? Or perhaps, just bad students? It seems, that despite all the obstacles that recent Southeast Asian immigrants endure, they quickly do well in school and move up the socio-economic scale.

The article, in advocating higher incomes for teacher in order to attract the more qualified, supports my previous assertion that government employs the less qualified.

I suspect a correlation between the changing cultural demographics and student achievement being more significant than teacher salaries and/or teaching abilities.

You may be right in your first paragraph, but the bolded excerpt begs a question. Does the government employ the less qualified because they pay too little for the highly qualified to be interested? That seemed to be the crux of the author's argument.

d-ray657
05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
You may be right in your first paragraph, but the bolded excerpt begs a question. Does the government employ the less qualified because they pay too little for the highly qualified to be interested? That seemed to be the crux of the author's argument.

+1 - Beat me to it.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
05-02-2011, 07:07 AM
The asrgument that we have been tossing more money at education and getting less for it is exemplified by NCLB. We have been having to damn many people who do not have a freaking clue getting in the teachers way. If all these "experts" would simply get the hell out of the way and let teachers do what they know how to do you would be amazed at the results.

JJIII
05-02-2011, 07:47 AM
The asrgument that we have been tossing more money at education and getting less for it is exemplified by NCLB. We have been having to damn many people who do not have a freaking clue getting in the teachers way. If all these "experts" would simply get the hell out of the way and let teachers do what they know how to do you would be amazed at the results.

+1

Kind of goes along with keeping things local.

finnbow
05-02-2011, 01:44 PM
As for public sector employees being overpaid, does it change your view any that no civilian in the CIA, DoD and White House staff directly involved in Bin Laden's demise earned more than $200,000/yr?

For example, look at this fellow's qualifications and try to convince me and others that he didn't earn his $200K.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_O._Brennan

noonereal
05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
As for public sector employees being overpaid, does it change your view any that no civilian in the CIA, DoD and White House staff directly involved in Bin Laden's demise earned more than $200,000/yr?

For example, look at this fellow's qualifications and try to convince me and others that he didn't earn his $200K.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_O._Brennan

you have to pay top talent 20 million or more a year

ask any greed filled corporatist

clearly Brennan is no good, can't be any good for 200 grand

oh i am sorry, he is overpaid at that. i should have known

whell
05-02-2011, 06:47 PM
As for public sector employees being overpaid, does it change your view any that no civilian in the CIA, DoD and White House staff directly involved in Bin Laden's demise earned more than $200,000?

Do you seriously believe that Senior administration officials earn only their government salary?

finnbow
05-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Do you seriously believe that Senior administration officials earn only their government salary?

Actually, I'm dead certain of it. I'm quite familiar with the Conflict of Interests and Financial Disclosure Statements required of all Executive Branch employees.

They may have lots of indirect income, but no other sources of direct income (nor indirect income with which there are financial conflicts of interests). The divestiture requirements are quite onerous, precluding the service of some who want to serve (simply too great of a financial sacrifice). This is not to say that they aren't able to capitalize on their government experience later in the private sector (though they must wait a year to do anything associated with past duties).

Read all about it here:

http://www.dod.gov/dodgc/defense_ethics/ethics_regulation/2634/

BTW, these requirements only marginally to Congress.

Fast_Eddie
05-02-2011, 08:13 PM
My wife is finishing up a Masters. Got a job in the public sector too. Earning a whopping 1/2 what she made in the private sector with a Bachelors.

Trouble is, people who work at McDonalds or Wall Mart hear about someone making $35,000 a year and say "woah, that there is like rich man munah!" They don't have a clue what educated people actually earn. When you tell them some teacher is knocking down a princely $40k and getting benefits they think the world has run amok. So we're told we should run our government at the lowest common denominator.

How's that working out for us?

merrylander
05-03-2011, 07:14 AM

Sure, but fifty years ago you could buy a new car for $1500.:p

d-ray657
05-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Whether I like it of not, one's income has a lot to say about how one is perceived in this country. How else would Donald Trump have had more than 30 seconds of coverage for his candidacy? If we want our teachers to be effective, we need as many reasons as we can have to have kids listen to them. We need teaching to be a respected profession. It doesn't do much to build teachers up in the eyes of students to have politicians claiming that they are under-qualified overpaid hacks.

The fact is that no one (other than some substitutes) works in the teaching profession without having first earned a degree. (At least in public schools - I don't know the requirements in parochial schools). Most pursue graduate degrees because that is the only way to earn a decent living. In other words, teachers are highly credentialed professionals who are not paid commensurate with any other private sector profession that requires similar credentials. If teachers were accorded the status in this society that they deserve - including a salary commensurate with that status - they would walk into the classroom with an additional level of credibility.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
05-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Most pursue graduate degrees because that is the only way to earn a decent living.

BS

Teachers are the most overpaid segment of society now days.

I just got a copy of the local school budget about an hour ago, everything is cut except for teachers salaries and teacher benefits.

d-ray657
05-04-2011, 04:00 PM
BS

Teachers are the most overpaid segment of society now days.

C'mon Noone. You know bankers have that title hands down.

I just got a copy of the local school budget about an hour ago, everything is cut except for teachers salaries and teacher benefits.

They want to keep their most valuable asset.

Regards,

D-Ray

whell
05-05-2011, 05:56 AM
The fact is that no one (other than some substitutes) works in the teaching profession without having first earned a degree. (At least in public schools - I don't know the requirements in parochial schools). Most pursue graduate degrees because that is the only way to earn a decent living. In other words, teachers are highly credentialed professionals who are not paid commensurate with any other private sector profession that requires similar credentials. If teachers were accorded the status in this society that they deserve - including a salary commensurate with that status - they would walk into the classroom with an additional level of credibility.

Sounds like a good argument and an excellent example of why egalitarian compensation practices don't work very well. :p

noonereal
05-05-2011, 06:35 AM
They want to keep their most valuable asset.

Regards,

D-Ray

ok, ok, i'll give you bankers as more over paid but really only at the "club" level.

Teachers do great work in most cases but none the less are artificially over paid and when push comes to shove they put themselves above the the students while using them as a human shield.

d-ray657
05-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Sounds like a good argument and an excellent example of why egalitarian compensation practices don't work very well. :p

It's always a matter of degree. I see no justification for the AVERAGE executive salary to be more than 400 times the average salary of a production worker. There is still a matrix of compensation in public sector jobs, just not the gross disparity that exists in the private sector. Unfortunately, the GOP has done a good job of rallying folks whose earning power has slipped against those who have managed to keep their earning power relatively level. All this done on behalf of a class of individuals or businesses whose plunder has skyrocketed.

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657
05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
ok, ok, i'll give you bankers as more over paid but really only at the "club" level.

Teachers do great work in most cases but none the less are artificially over paid and when push comes to shove they put themselves above the the students while using them as a human shield.

I think you've been spending too much time listening to The Wall.

Regards,

D-Ray