PDA

View Full Version : Being A Muslim in America

d-ray657
05-06-2011, 07:53 PM
We have talked quite a bit this past week about religious tolerance. While I believe that the First Amendment codifies such tolerance, far too many people didn't get the memo. Here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-muslim-american-reflects-on-osama-bin-ladens-death/2011/05/03/AFQF7z8F_story.html) is the story of what an American-born citizen, who grew up Muslim in the Connecticut suburbs, faced after 9/11.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow
05-06-2011, 09:38 PM
My niece (brother's daughter) married a Muslim fellow from Morocco and converted to Islam. They have three lovely children and are raising them to speak both English and Arabic. Her husband, Radouanne, is really a fun, interesting and educated guy (he was nearly finished a degree in Chemical Engineering in Morocco and completed his degree in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maryland). He speaks fluent English, French and Arabic, has a good job and is a great husband/father. We all love him dearly.

That said, I will admit to feeling a bit sorry for my niece marrying into Islam (though she doesn't seem to feel the least bit sorry for herself). She wears full Muslim garb and they went to Mecca on the Haj last fall (leaving their kids here with my brother and his wife for 3 weeks). They both said it was a life-altering and life-affirming experience. Her religion may well offer lots of the discipline, etc. referred to in the religion thread, but I think I'd find it stifling. Different strokes, I suppose.

CarlV
05-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I hope he gets a big settlement.

Here is recent guilt by association, in Elk Grove, what amounts to a 'burb of our state capital. It is very embarrassing.

Surinder Singh, 67, died Friday on East Stockton Boulevard from a shot to the upper torso, while Gurmej Atwal, 78, remained in critical but stable condition in intensive care from two bullets to the chest. He still cannot talk, but is nodding yes or no to questions, said his son, Kamaljit Atwal.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/08/3457180/sikh-leaders-offer-30000-reward.html#ixzz1Ld8nEJiA

The 78 year old man died after a month.

Gurmej Atwal – one of two elderly Sikh Americans shot March 4 on their afternoon walk through Elk Grove – died at 2 p.m. Friday after six weeks in the hospital.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/16/3556784/second-sikh-man-dies-six-weeks.html#ixzz1Ld9KmObN

Carl

d-ray657
05-06-2011, 10:42 PM
It's frightening when being the "other" is a reason to be hated.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
05-06-2011, 11:46 PM
My nieces oldest son is in a relationship with a Syrian girl in college. She is beautiful, intelligent (near the top of her class), and very athletic. Everyone in the family seems to like her, except my oldest brother the redneck. But, he's an asshole anyways, so who cares what he thinks? Not me, that's for sure.

Dave

noonereal
05-07-2011, 07:08 AM
My second wife was a Moslem. She is more "western" and sophisticated than anyone I ever met from any red state.

whell
05-07-2011, 10:30 AM
You really ought to visit Dearborn, MI sometime. My company's office is there, so I get over there frequently. It's an extremely diverse community with a checkered history in the area of race relations. However, as many are aware, it now boasts the largest Arabic population outside the Middle East, and is the home of the largest mosque in North America.

The diversity is truly fascinating. Many businesses have outdoor signs that are bi-lingual, and some businesses have signs only in Arabic. It's not unusual to see a group of women wearing burkas walking through the neighborhood or at the playground with their kids mixing with other women in typical attire. Most folks socialize pretty well, and show general respect and tolerance for each others cultures and religions. The school populations are also very diverse, both public and parochial.

The city is not without its issues, but what city of any size isn't. There are sometimes ethnic tensions, but with Detroit just across the boarder from Dearborn, racial and ethnic tensions are nothing new around here.

But the issue of religious tension is nowhere near the issue that one might think or expect. Sure it happens from time to time, but given the diversity of the population, it's quite understated. The themes that you hear from both mosque and church are more likely to be those of tolerance and respect than division.

There's hope....

finnbow
05-07-2011, 10:32 AM
You really ought to visit Dearborn, MI sometime. My company's office is there, so I get over there frequently. It's an extremely diverse community with a checkered history in the area of race relations. However, as many are aware, it now boasts the largest Arabic population outside the Middle East, and is the home of the largest mosque in North America.

The diversity is truly fascinating. Many businesses have outdoor signs that are bi-lingual, and some businesses have signs only in Arabic. It's not unusual to see a group of women wearing burkas walking through the neighborhood or at the playground with their kids mixing with other women in typical attire. Most folks socialize pretty well, and show general respect and tolerance for each others cultures and religions. The school populations are also very diverse, both public and parochial.

The city is not without its issues, but what city of any size isn't. There are sometimes ethnic tensions, but with Detroit just across the boarder from Dearborn, racial and ethnic tensions are nothing new around here.

But the issue of religious tension is nowhere near the issue that one might think or expect. Sure it happens from time to time, but given the diversity of the population, it's quite understated. The themes that you hear from both mosque and church are more likely to be those of tolerance and respect than division.

There's hope....

I'd love to go there with my feed bag on. I love Middle Eastern food.

noonereal
05-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I'd love to go there with my feed bag on. I love Middle Eastern food.

way healthier than american cuisine

BlueStreak
05-07-2011, 12:54 PM

There's hope....

Michigan must be one of those "northern secular" states that flacaltenn speaks of? And, of course there's hope, we protect religious freedom here. Which means we protect Muslims from getting the crap beat out of them by stupid rednecks who think America is for "Christians Only". God Bless America!

Dave

finnbow
05-07-2011, 09:22 PM
And now this: A Delta Connection pilot refuses to fly with two Imams aboard who had been cleared by TSA. They were flying to Charlotte from Memphis to attend a conference on Islamophobia. WTF???

http://www.examiner.com/airlines-airport-in-minneapolis/islamophobia-strikes-again-as-pilot-refuses-to-fly-with-muslim-clerics-aboard

IMHO, that pilot should be summarily dismissed, his airline sued, and the Imams given free First Class flights on Delta for a year.

d-ray657
05-07-2011, 09:34 PM
John Oliver's investigative reporting for the Daily Show revealed (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-may-5-2011/big-mohammed-s-house)much about relations among religions.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow
05-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Osama Bin Laden: Father of American Islamophobia

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-03/opinion/obeidallah.muslims.binladen_1_arab-americans-arab-heritage-arabs-and-muslims?_s=PM:OPINION

piece-itpete
05-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Trouble notwithstanding, we reacted very well by historical standards, and far far better than either the ME or China would.

On subject though, it's why after debriefing Bush got the Bin Ladens outta here. It could have been ug-ly.

Pete

finnbow
05-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Trouble notwithstanding, we reacted very well by historical standards, and far far better than either the ME or China would.

Damning with very faint praise, Pete.

piece-itpete
05-09-2011, 10:03 AM
My ancestors changed my last name during ww1 because they were being prosecuted for being German (my last name is Czech)(or was anyway). I don't know exactly what happened, but reading have found beatings, no work, run out of towns common.

I'm not saying it was right. But far, far, far better than most.

Pete

d-ray657
05-09-2011, 10:11 AM
My ancestors changed my last name during ww1 because they were being prosecuted for being German (my last name is Czech)(or was anyway). I don't know exactly what happened, but reading have found beatings, no work, run out of towns common.

I'm not saying it was right. But far, far, far better than most.

Pete

We still have room to improve, and we should continue to work on it.

Regards,

D-Ray

piece-itpete
05-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Absolutely.

Pete