PDA

View Full Version : debt ceiling, what is next?

JCricket
07-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey u Folks,
If I missed a thread on the debt ceiling please smack me around a little and show me the way to it.

I was up late last night, and I couldn't sleep. I turned on C-Span and got a belly full of indigestion.

I watched President Barack Obama, some republican leaders, and some democratic leaders get up and make speeches about the debt ceiling. They all said the same thing.

It was everyone elses fault that we are in trouble and that they were the only ones that could lead us out of it. It was really tough to sit and listen to everyonw one of them point fingers at eachother. That was the core of every speech and announcement that I heard. Not a one talked about progress that had been made or issues(specific issues) that were on the table. It was all in generalities.

"We cut x $'s with our thoughts but did so in a smart way" or, "We can't do waht x and x want because they will adversally affect this program and this program." Further, "we are doing what the american people wanted" "This is what they voted for" "The president and congress have had two and a half years to fix things and haven't" ..........

We are in trouble folks.

My wife said we need to lock them in a room with pleanty of food and water until they come up with a solution(and no potty breaks).

I suggested we sieze all of their personal assests until they get it fixed.

Both unrealistic, but it is going to take something extreme before any of these clowns get off their duff and look at the real problem: not just look at what they need to do to get re-elected.

Yours truly,
A hopeless cricket

merrylander
07-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Forget the food and water, you will get quicker results that way.

Bonehead seems to think we all have only short term memories, says raising taxes will cost jobs. Hmm Bush Senior raised taxes - lotsa job created. Clinton raised taxes - millions of jobs created. Bush Junior cut taxes - job creation went flat.

d-ray657
07-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Forget the food and water, you will get quicker results that way.

Beer and peanuts, but no restroom.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
07-16-2011, 10:42 AM
It's been like that for a few years now.

Where have you been?

Dave

Charles
07-16-2011, 01:34 PM
How about tie 'em in chairs and beat the shit out of them with a baseball bat?

Chas

JCricket
07-16-2011, 04:12 PM
It's been like that for a few years now.

Where have you been?

Dave

Ture it has been this way for awhile. But I kind of think this time it is not just going to go ands slip through at the last minute.

I wouldn't be suprised if we go into default for at least a few days maybe even a week or so.

If they with hold SS checks, military checks, and other programs, I think that will start a lndslide affect. Nothing new here, except I think it might really happen this time.

BTW - D-Ray, lots of beer, they are already nuts so no need to provide them.

BlueStreak
07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Could be. At any rate, it will be interesting. The fun part will be watching the right scramble to make sure all of their acolytes still think no one but Obama is to blame. Although, from what I pick up on other discussion boards, I think more and more people are wising up to that half baked BS. The perception of the GOP as an "innocent bystander" is beginning to erode, the true nature of that beast is beginning to show...............and it can't happen quickly enough.

Dave

JCricket
07-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Right now I don't care less who is to blame. It is the solution I want to see.

According to last night, Obama's plan "might" cut up to 1.5 trillion over the next ten(IIRC) years. The GOP is saying they will 6.2 trillion in the next four.

What he GOP didn't say is what they would cut to get that level. I am sure it isn't defense. I also bet they are not going to raise taxes. That leaves mostly medicare, medicaid, SS, unemployment, and welfare programs to be cut. I have balanced many buidgets in my day. I cannot see a 6.2 trillion change without MASSIVE cuts. So they are either lying, or they are lying.

I might be able to believe Obama's plan if he would just give a high level outline or something on it.

BlueStreak
07-16-2011, 10:51 PM

According to last night, Obama's plan "might" cut up to 1.5 trillion over the next ten(IIRC) years. The GOP is saying they will 6.2 trillion in the next four.

What he GOP didn't say is what they would cut to get that level. I am sure it isn't defense. I also bet they are not going to raise taxes. That leaves mostly medicare, medicaid, SS, unemployment, and welfare programs to be cut. I have balanced many buidgets in my day. I cannot see a 6.2 trillion change without MASSIVE cuts. So they are either lying, or they are lying.

I might be able to believe Obama's plan if he would just give a high level outline or something on it.

They're doing worse than lying. In pandering to their base, they are making them promises that if kept, could be ruinous to many people. Most of whom have done nothing wrong. The only crime most of them committed was to grow old without securing independent wealth along the way. The problem is that once the promise is made and not kept, those to whom the promise was made will begin to demand it, consequences be damned. In some ways one could say that such broken promises are why were have such unrest today. Ponder that for a while.

Dave

merrylander
07-17-2011, 07:50 AM
If the Goopers get their way I predict that Kantor will not have to make up stories about someone shooting at his office this time around.

bhunter
07-17-2011, 11:25 PM

$150B a year which is very little given his massive increases over the last couple of years. How about rolling back to 2003 levels? I don't recall all the dire consequences happening back then.

Where is all the money going that Obama has spent over the last 2.5 years?

He can't give any detail because he doesn't really have a plan. He's all about smoke and mirrors and demagoguery. Thus, making Obama look good and his political opposition look bad. There is no low too low for Obama and his minions. Recently, Sheila Jackson Lee pulled out the race card over the debt limit. Recall all the hoopla over the downgrade threats from Moody and S&P and the talking heads spreading fear last week. These are the same idiots that failed to notice anything wrong in the mortgage industry and banking in 2008. The world isn't going to end and SS checks are not going to stop if the debt limit isn't extended.

Also, remember that this problem exists because of the direlict of duty by the Pelosi controlled house. Obama is also complicit for not putting pressure on Congress to get a budget done in a timely manner. You also may recall that Obama himself refused to vote in favor of a debt limit increase for the Bush administration.

When your budget is 175% of your estimated revenue, I'd say you have a severe spending problem. That coupled with a simultaneous shrinking revenue source caused by Obama's fear and uncertainty campaign against business and you have an intractable problem. I can easily envision a financial vortex, much like a toilet bowl, sucking the vitality out of the populace if the Obama regime gets its way.

JCricket
07-18-2011, 12:06 AM
$150B a year which is very little given his massive increases over the last couple of years. How about rolling back to 2003 levels? I don't recall all the dire consequences happening back then.

Where is all the money going that Obama has spent over the last 2.5 years?

He can't give any detail because he doesn't really have a plan. He's all about smoke and mirrors and demagoguery. Thus, making Obama look good and his political opposition look bad. There is no low too low for Obama and his minions. Recently, Sheila Jackson Lee pulled out the race card over the debt limit. Recall all the hoopla over the downgrade threats from Moody and S&P and the talking heads spreading fear last week. These are the same idiots that failed to notice anything wrong in the mortgage industry and banking in 2008. The world isn't going to end and SS checks are not going to stop if the debt limit isn't extended.

Also, remember that this problem exists because of the direlict of duty by the Pelosi controlled house. Obama is also complicit for not putting pressure on Congress to get a budget done in a timely manner. You also may recall that Obama himself refused to vote in favor of a debt limit increase for the Bush administration.

When your budget is 175% of your estimated revenue, I'd say you have a severe spending problem. That coupled with a simultaneous shrinking revenue source caused by Obama's fear and uncertainty campaign against business and you have an intractable problem. I can easily envision a financial vortex, much like a toilet bowl, sucking the vitality out of the populace if the Obama regime gets its way.

Anyone else see a problem with this post?

bhunter
07-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Anyone else see a problem with this post?

I premise everything on Obama's peculiar trend towards obfuscation. The transparent administration it is not. I currently know of no detailed plan on a budget compromise from Obama—just his typical scare tactics. That is not inconsistent with his administration's underlying goal to usurp power and centralize that power at the federal level. There are two things going on here. One might be called his budgetary tactics and the other his regime's strategic or underlying philosophy.

merrylander
07-18-2011, 07:46 AM
But you keep saying "Obama spent", sorry bh it is the House that holds the purse strings.

piece-itpete
07-18-2011, 08:59 AM
This issue is being demagogued to death.

Both sides know there's no way we're going to default. It's all 'brinkmanship', AKA bs.

However all Obama has been doing is say, 'what are you going to cut?' and scaring the seniors, nary a peep about the lefts' plans. If what they did in Ohio is any indication they're just going to bury their head in the sand.

How about tie 'em in chairs and beat the shit out of them with a baseball bat?

Chas

LOL! If they sold turns with the bats they might make a dent in the debt :D

Pete

bhunter
07-18-2011, 02:15 PM
But you keep saying "Obama spent", sorry bh it is the House that holds the purse strings.

Do you really think that Obamacare, Stimulus, et al would have occurred without Obama leading the charge. Yes, technically The House has the purse strings, but a President has quite a bit of power over what does and does not get through.

Further, since the left likes to cackle about the cost of "Bush's wars" wouldn't your suggestion place the blame on The House because they hold the purse strings?

merrylander
07-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Well there is one thing that makes it look bad currently, Bush ran the war off budget so things looked better than they were. Obama put it on budget where it belongs.

Charles
07-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I've given this a certain amount of consideration, and have come to the conclusion that it is:

POLITICS

AS

USUAL.

They've just added some chimpanzees on unicycles to liven up the dog and pony show.

So long as we're all busy blaming one another, the the big boys can take their time stealing our hubcaps out in the parking lot.

Seems like I said something about tying people in chairs and baseball bats???

Chas

piece-itpete
07-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Chimpanzees on unicycles? Best. Government. Ever. Beats feeding Christians to the lions. Please take my money!

Pete

merrylander
07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
No no, best gummint money can buy.

flacaltenn
07-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Well there is one thing that makes it look bad currently, Bush ran the war off budget so things looked better than they were. Obama put it on budget where it belongs.

That's actually hard to believe considering the Democrats poor record of

Making and Releasing a REAL Budget.

If ALL the expenses for active shooting wars is ON BUDGET -- I'll ride the next cruise missile into Libya...

CarlV
07-18-2011, 06:40 PM
LOL!

Carl

d-ray657
07-18-2011, 09:19 PM
If ALL the expenses for active shooting wars is ON BUDGET -- I'll ride the next cruise missile into Libya...

What, are you trying out for Slim Pickens' role in a remake of Dr. Strangelove (see avatar)?:cool:

Actually, by off budget, I think Rob meant that the costs of the wars were not even considered part of the budget. There was no accounting for the costs as part of the regular budget process (an oxymoron?), and no need to cut spending or raise revenue to offset such expenses.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
07-19-2011, 07:48 AM

That I would love to see.:p

merrylander
07-19-2011, 07:49 AM
What, are you trying out for Slim Pickens' role in a remake of Dr. Strangelove (see avatar)?:cool:

Actually, by off budget, I think Rob meant that the costs of the wars were not even considered part of the budget. There was no accounting for the costs as part of the regular budget process (an oxymoron?), and no need to cut spending or raise revenue to offset such expenses.

Regards,

D-Ray

Shh Don, doncha know that flack knows everything and has done near about everything?:rolleyes:

bhunter
07-19-2011, 01:38 PM

So they were funded by emergency supplementals. The money was still spent and accounted. It is not like those expenses disappeared.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2009/03/21/GR2009032100104.html

CarlV
07-19-2011, 01:56 PM
So why not make them supplemental again to fix the budget then. :rolleyes:
Heck we got the "I will put through proposals so absurd that it has no chance of passing so I can say I did what you voted me in for."
Voodoo budgets, voodoo policy making, hey it's the 21st century. :p

Carl

flacaltenn
07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657
[[What, are you trying out for Slim Pickens' role in a remake of Dr. Strangelove (see avatar)?

Regards,

D-Ray ]]]

""Shh Don, doncha know that flack knows everything and has done near about everything? ""

Yeah -- your avatar was the inspiration for that.. It's on my "bucket list".

MerryLander:

Ive been INCREDIBLY blessed in this life. I try real hard to appreciate the wonderful experiences and career that I've had. And not to brag about it all that much.. But you guys are so liquored up most of the time -- I feel I can get away with it... :D It's your fault for being so darn friendly...

merrylander
07-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Sorry but when I am online I am stone cold sober.

piece-itpete
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Ish neevah drin' ownliin :)

Pete

BlueStreak
07-20-2011, 11:22 AM
".....liquored up..."? Now, you're accusing us of being a bunch of drunks? I can only recall one time that I was posting under the influence, and I was WAY under the influence.

Dave

flacaltenn
07-20-2011, 11:51 AM
"Stone sober", "not liquored up", (whatever Pete said)??

OMG -- I'm sooo sorry.. We should fix that..

merrylander
07-20-2011, 12:33 PM
"Stone sober", "not liquored up", (whatever Pete said)??

OMG -- I'm sooo sorry.. We should fix that..

I don't drink until the sun is over the yardarm and by that time the computers are shut down as I do have a life.:D

Ohh nice, that last check I wrote against my pension came back at $1.0667, guess I got another raise.

diamondsoul
07-20-2011, 06:31 PM
What you guys need is to have Paul Martin come and do for your economy what he did for the Canadian economy back when it was being threatened with a downgrade of our nations credit rating.

It wasn't painless but it worked and is one of the only reasons the Canadian economy is doing so good today, that and stricter regulations on our banks.

Cheers

Lar

merrylander
07-21-2011, 07:01 AM
You should have put Paul in as leader of the Liberal Party, maybe he could whup that Reform artist.

merrylander
07-21-2011, 07:26 AM
With all the nattering about the shame of defaulting on our debts it seems they are only concerned about defaulting to foreigners, defaulting on our debt to seniors is perfectly OK.:p

piece-itpete
07-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Everyone's gone nuts. It's so silly.

Pete

JCricket
07-21-2011, 09:00 AM
couple of questions for you folks. These are probably a can of worms tho.

When did (or has it always been this way) the governement entangle itself with the economy? I thought the framers tried to set the government apart from the economy or free market. This is way out of my scope so my question may be foolish, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

I personally think the government should be enitrely seperate from the economy. They should not carry ANY debt, nor should they have a deficit.

The only exception would be a time of war and strictly for defense.

So, thoughts?

merrylander
07-21-2011, 01:08 PM
So the roads and bridges and railroads will build themselves. Police forces and firefighters will simply pop out of thin air?

piece-itpete
07-21-2011, 01:35 PM
With the exception of rails and interstate highways those are state issues.

I've gotta say though, I think you lefties are rubbing off on me ;) THe feds do have the right to regulate interstate commerce. I think we need a national discussion on what exactly that means, instead of leaving the fox in charge of the henhouse.

Pete

merrylander
07-21-2011, 02:25 PM
With the exception of rails and interstate highways those are state issues.

I've gotta say though, I think you lefties are rubbing off on me ;) THe feds do have the right to regulate interstate commerce. I think we need a national discussion on what exactly that means, instead of leaving the fox in charge of the henhouse.

Pete

I was unaware that states do not have governments.:p

JCricket
07-21-2011, 02:46 PM
So the roads and bridges and railroads will build themselves. Police forces and firefighters will simply pop out of thin air?

Hey Merrylander,
I guess I wasn't clear - my fault.

Clearly the government needs to do what you stated above - but that is a function of government.

I was thinking(bad thing to do), that the government was more directly tied to manipulating the economy. This was done for the sake of the economy, not because it is a government function.

In the depression the interstate highways were put in place to help stimulate the economy - right. But it also gave us a huge infrastructure.

The stimulus bills were to do much the same thing. THe motive was to stimulate the economy. So, when did the government become responsible for the condition of the economy? Shouldn't the government and the responsibility for he condition of the economy be seperate.

Just thinking(or blabbering) out loud here.

piece-itpete
07-21-2011, 03:16 PM
The highway system was Eisenhowers. I do however use the CCCs beautiful stone work (bridges, walls, stairs cut right out of the rock) every time I visit the older parts of the Cleveland Metroparks. And when I was incarcerated as a juvie I lived in one of their old dorms for a while :p

One problem and part of the quandry was that if nothing was done during the depression there might have been an actual revolt. 'Tis a sticky wicket.

Pete

merrylander
07-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Hey Merrylander,
I guess I wasn't clear - my fault.

Clearly the government needs to do what you stated above - but that is a function of government.

I was thinking(bad thing to do), that the government was more directly tied to manipulating the economy. This was done for the sake of the economy, not because it is a government function.

In the depression the interstate highways were put in place to help stimulate the economy - right. But it also gave us a huge infrastructure.

The stimulus bills were to do much the same thing. THe motive was to stimulate the economy. So, when did the government become responsible for the condition of the economy? Shouldn't the government and the responsibility for he condition of the economy be seperate.

Just thinking(or blabbering) out loud here.

Well it is rather apparent that Wall Street can't get it right so someone needs to set things in motion. As diamond soul posted in another thread Canada's banks are regulated and none failed or needed bailing out. IWe seem to do everything in the financial area at opposite approaches to the rest of the world. I swera our financial laws were designed by idiots or thieves.

diamondsoul
07-21-2011, 08:17 PM
You should have put Paul in as leader of the Liberal Party, maybe he could whup that Reform artist.

You're right there. At least he might have made it a contest and the libs mightened have not got wiped out quite so bad. ;)

Charles
07-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Sorry but when I am online I am stone cold sober.

Myself as well.

When I'm drunk I pass out.

Chas

djv8ga
07-21-2011, 09:26 PM
You're right there. At least he might have made it a contest and the libs mightened have not got wiped out quite so bad. ;)
That's not realistic and you know it.

hillbilly
07-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Let me ask this if it is ok. Since there are folks in favor of raising the debt ceiling, .. at what point of our nation's best intrest will some decide it was a mistake to keep raising it? Try to keep it simple, please. I hate looking up words to find the meaning. Takes all day. :o

djv8ga
07-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Let me ask this if it is ok. Since there are folks in favor of raising the debt ceiling, .. at what point of our nation's best intrest will some decide it was a mistake to keep raising it? Try to keep it simple, please. I hate looking up words to find the meaning. Takes all day. :o
So we can inflate our way out of debt.

Charles
07-21-2011, 10:31 PM

Ever have an old junk motor with busted rings and holes in the pistons?

You have two options. You can either do the hard work and fix the damned thing right, or you can keep filling the crankcase up with Double Eagle & Motor Honey.

Guess which option will not only leave you walking home in the dark, but be the most expensive to boot.

Our fearless leaders are busy treating the symptoms and ignoring the disease.

But it's easy.

Chas

Charles
07-21-2011, 10:40 PM
So we can inflate our way out of debt.

That's one way to look at it.

Guess if I were smart, I'd get so far deep in debt that I couldn't even see daylight. Being debt free and having money in the bank is for fools at this point in time.

The big scare is interest rates will go up. To tell the truth, I would benefit from that.

The bottom line is, we're all pretty much screwed no matter what happens. The wealth of this nation has been squandered. Someone has to step up and pay the bills...and you can't get blood out of a turnip.

Chas

djv8ga
07-21-2011, 10:46 PM
I'd get so far deep in debt that I couldn't even see daylight.

Chas
Yes...but the timing is tricky. There isn't much room for error. You also have to stay employed and that is even trickier.

hillbilly
07-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Ever have an old junk motor with busted rings and holes in the pistons?

You have two options. You can either do the hard work and fix the damned thing right, or you can keep filling the crankcase up with Double Eagle & Motor Honey.

Guess which option will not only leave you walking home in the dark, but be the most expensive to boot.

Our fearless leaders are busy treating the symptoms and ignoring the disease.

But it's easy.

Chas

Well put. I understand perfectly.

Can't keep oil in it, you'll soon run it dry and throw a rod, block gone.

Cheaper to overhaul it before it blows. Once you've thrown a rod through the heart of it, not only do you hafta buy a remanufactured engine ... you also pay more because you've destroyed your core and the engine company won't credit said core.

BlueStreak
07-22-2011, 01:46 AM
One problem and part of the quandry was that if nothing was done during the depression there might have been an actual revolt. 'Tis a sticky wicket.

Pete

Correct. In the 1930s the Roosevelt Administration, and indeed most of the country was alarmed that we literally had Communists marching in the streets. (Actually, it started in the 1920s.) We even had candidates running on the Communist ticket in several elections. (None of them even came close to winning, however.) Among them was Gus Hall, who ran for POTUS on more than one occasion, and served as the President of the ACP until his death.
(Ironically, Tailgunner Joe never even attempted to drag him before the HCUA.)

Ask the average American about the "Red Scare"....and find out how clueless your countrymen really are.

Dave

piece-itpete
07-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Yeah the AFL split from the CIO because of commie issues. In my mind anyone that took orders from the comintern was a traitor. Sadly it appears to include Woody Guthrie, although appearently unknowingly, as a dupe :(

One might not be able to get blood from a turnip, but you can get turnip juice, which the politicos will immediately call blood :)

Pete

piece-itpete
07-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Btw I told my blue collar neighbor I found the political infighting over the debt limit entertaining, he got mad :)

Pete

diamondsoul
07-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Gold goes any higher and I might start doing what some folks do in Guigong China. Take old PCBs, put them in a big old wok with some nasty solvents, cook them until the gold and silver comes off. :eek:

JCricket
07-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Gold goes any higher and I might start doing what some folks do in Guigong China. Take old PCBs, put them in a big old wok with some nasty solvents, cook them until the gold and silver comes off. :eek:

I was thinking about my dental crowns and the next mortgage payment.:eek:

JCricket
07-26-2011, 08:42 PM
BOOM!

There is now way the can fix this by judgement day.

I think we will be lucky if we do not default, and even luckier if we do not loose our triple AAA rating.

Time to change the entire tax code and go through every expenditure. Time to pony up and fix the problem.

Anyone ever consider the flat tax idea that was floating around some years back.

Also, can we look at our expenditures as a percent of GNP? Simply figure what that percent is and impose a flat tax? I am a bit out of my leage, so please pardon stupid blathering. I am just trying to learn here.

Mark

Charles
07-26-2011, 09:22 PM
BOOM!

There is now way the can fix this by judgement day.

I think we will be lucky if we do not default, and even luckier if we do not loose our triple AAA rating.

Time to change the entire tax code and go through every expenditure. Time to pony up and fix the problem.

Anyone ever consider the flat tax idea that was floating around some years back.

Also, can we look at our expenditures as a percent of GNP? Simply figure what that percent is and impose a flat tax? I am a bit out of my leage, so please pardon stupid blathering. I am just trying to learn here.

Mark

It's starting to look like our AAA rating is shot in the ass anyway. We're not gonna default, at least not at this time.

And even if we did, the big money boys would just refinance our note...they do it all of the time.

What are they gonna do...repossess the USA??? By then, the disagreement we currently have going on in this country would make the intervention into Libya look like a day at the beach.

Hell, it would make WWII look like a day at the beach.

The big money boys are in the making money business, they're not into the sticking your head into a meat grinder business.

Chas

JCricket
07-26-2011, 09:30 PM
never will they reposess us. But, if our dollar goes to crap, oil will be $50 a gallon. Produce from chile will be unaffordable, completely forget about cars and otehr goods from china and japan(maybe this isn't all bad afterall:o). Our credits cards might jump into the mid two digit interest rate. Thigs will get ugly. But, we do not have debtors prison. Maybe it is the rough road ahead, but the road that will fix stuff too.

Charles
07-26-2011, 09:42 PM
never will they reposess us. But, if our dollar goes to crap, oil will be $50 a gallon. Produce from chile will be unaffordable, completely forget about cars and otehr goods from china and japan(maybe this isn't all bad afterall:o). Our credits cards might jump into the mid two digit interest rate. Thigs will get ugly. But, we do not have debtors prison. Maybe it is the rough road ahead, but the road that will fix stuff too.

A variation on the theme.

Should overseas goods become to expensive for Americans to buy, then Americans would have no choice but produce their own, which would put people back to work.

Not only that, but we'd be the new China, producing cheaper goods than the rest of the world.

And I would suspicion that when cheap America goods are compared to expensive Chinese goods on the world market, the Chinese would start moving jobs here.

Which would you rather buy???

Just a thought.

Chas

HatchetJack
07-26-2011, 10:57 PM
We should not have a choice. Anyone see any American cars floating around
in all the sunami coverage a while back in Japan?
We threw most of that ballout money in the wrong direction. Had we spent it
on "fertilizer", tooling up to make our own shit and stop buying theirs we
would be walking in high cotton about now or at least heading in the right
direction. I have said it before but we cant fix it from the top. Maybe we
should default on China, till the garden and start fresh.

BlueStreak
07-26-2011, 11:26 PM
A variation on the theme.

Should overseas goods become to expensive for Americans to buy, then Americans would have no choice but produce their own, which would put people back to work.

Not only that, but we'd be the new China, producing cheaper goods than the rest of the world.

And I would suspicion that when cheap America goods are compared to expensive Chinese goods on the world market, the Chinese would start moving jobs here.

Which would you rather buy???

Just a thought.

Chas

Except most of the "foreign" cars sold here are made here. Well, assembled here, anyhow. Beyond that, sounds like a good plan, Chas.

Dave

djv8ga
07-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Except most of the "foreign" cars sold here are made here. Well, assembled here, anyhow. Beyond that, sounds like a good plan, Chas.

Dave
How do the people in Japan & Germany feel about their cars being assembled here?
I've never thought about it before.

BlueStreak
07-27-2011, 12:04 AM
How do the people in Japan & Germany feel about their cars being assembled here?
I've never thought about it before.

I dunno, I've never asked them.

But, I have read that many Europeans are beginning to view America as their "Mexico". The place where their jobs go to low wage, yazzabossin' scabs, basically. (As we Americans continue to be told that we are too expensive and unproductive by our own leaders. Which raises questions in my mind. Such as; Could it be someone is deliberately trying to makes us "Europes Mexico"? Think about that one.;))

Dave

djv8ga
07-27-2011, 06:27 AM

But, I have read that many Europeans are beginning to view America as their "Mexico". The place where their jobs go to low wage, yazzabossin' scabs, basically. (As we Americans continue to be told that we are too expensive and unproductive by our own leaders. Which raises questions in my mind. Such as; Could it be someone is deliberately trying to makes us "Europes Mexico"? Think about that one.;))

Dave
That's interesting. At my job, our TOTL product is made (by us) in Mexico, our middle of the road stuff is made here by us, and the cheap crap comes from China, Sri Lanki, and places like that. We don't make any of that stuff.

Charles
07-27-2011, 06:49 AM

Dave

You don't think???

Of course we're being sold down the river on purpose.

Chas

merrylander
07-27-2011, 07:11 AM
That's not realistic and you know it.

I am not sure about that, Paul would have had a good shot against that George Bush hand puppet republican wannabee.:p

merrylander
07-27-2011, 07:18 AM

Dave

There's the rub - assembled - so what they assemble would have to be imported from high priced countries and they could not compete with our own cars. Actually they no longer exceed in quality it is only American stupidity that makes people buy the foreign brands.:rolleyes:

merrylander
07-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Has anyone considered the hypocrisy of S&P and Moody's saying they will take away our AAA rating? These are the same people who said derivatives and CDOs were AAA.:p

JCricket
07-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Has anyone considered the hypocrisy of S&P and Moody's saying they will take away our AAA rating? These are the same people who said derivatives and CDOs were AAA.:p

I didn't know this............

Hmm? Even if it is a hypocrisy, and I see that point well, it won't matter. We loose it, things will change big time.

Anyone want to set up a poll and take bets on weather we loose the AAA or not?

piece-itpete
07-27-2011, 09:08 AM
I think there's a good chance we'll keep our rating, for political reasons.

... George Bush hand puppet republican wannabee.:p

Obama? :p

There's the rub - assembled - so what they assemble would have to be imported from high priced countries and they could not compete with our own cars. Actually they no longer exceed in quality it is only American stupidity that makes people buy the foreign brands.:rolleyes:

Agreed! And even if the cars are built here start to finish the big profits go back to corporate.

Pete

BlueStreak
07-27-2011, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone trusts those people anymore. It truly does strike me as being insane how some assume that it's only politicians that lie and manipulate. "Yeah, well, look how corrupt those politicians are!"

Right. And who is it that is "corrupting" them?

Oh, I know. To quote The Church Lady; "Oh, could it be......SATAN, perhaps?"

Spare me.

Dave

merrylander
07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I don't understand why anyone trusts those people anymore. It truly does strike me as being insane how some assume that it's only politicians that lie and manipulate. "Yeah, well, look how corrupt those politicians are!"

Right. And who is it that is "corrupting" them?

Oh, I know. To quote The Church Lady; "Oh, could it be......SATAN, perhaps?"

Spare me.

Dave

Shh Dave SCOTUS says bribery is legal.:p

Charles
07-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Maybe they're holding out for some more juice???

Chas

bhunter
07-27-2011, 07:25 PM

It is inane that those are the folks sword rattling about the downgrade. It is the same supposed expert financial pundits that think they know everything. The real knowledge is sort of like predicting tomorrow's weather. The best estimation of tomorrow's weather is that it will be like today's even though we realize that that is frequently not the case. Complexity is difficult to measure let alone predict with certainty given limited inputs and the limited accuracy of those inputs.

Oh well, back to Bela Fleck making dynamics on the JBLs.

JCricket
07-27-2011, 08:12 PM
just for giggles I sent an email to both President Barack Oboma and Senator McCain. Told them to get it fixed.

Scrap the whole system(tax code) and replace it with a new simple system that gets enough money to cover the spending - no deficit. Then, second step, go through every program and cut where it can be cut. We would then have a surpluss instead of a deficit - lets apply the surpluss to the debt.

So it is a pie in the sky dream.

I wonder if I will get any meaningful response..

hillbilly
07-27-2011, 10:34 PM
just for giggles I sent an email to both President Barack Oboma and Senator McCain. Told them to get it fixed.

Scrap the whole system(tax code) and replace it with a new simple system that gets enough money to cover the spending - no deficit. Then, second step, go through every program and cut where it can be cut. We would then have a surpluss instead of a deficit - lets apply the surpluss to the debt.

More like,.. I wonder if it'll even get read. No telling how many mass-deletes every day since the inbox is so long.

djv8ga
07-27-2011, 11:03 PM
just for giggles I sent an email to Senator McCain.
LOL...He only talks war.

BlueStreak
07-27-2011, 11:38 PM
It is inane that those are the folks sword rattling about the downgrade. It is the same supposed expert financial pundits that think they know everything. The real knowledge is sort of like predicting tomorrow's weather. The best estimation of tomorrow's weather is that it will be like today's even though we realize that that is frequently not the case. Complexity is difficult to measure let alone predict with certainty given limited inputs and the limited accuracy of those inputs.

Oh well, back to Bela Fleck making dynamics on the JBLs.

Chaos theory?

Mmmmmmm, Bela Fleck......

Dave

BlueStreak
07-27-2011, 11:40 PM

Yes. They will write you back thanking you for expressing your concerns about ethanol subsidies.

Dave

bhunter
07-28-2011, 02:37 AM
Chaos theory?

Mmmmmmm, Bela Fleck......

Dave

Chaos and its parent Complexity Theory. I've enjoyed the subject matter since reading Mandelbrot's "The Fractal Geometry of Nature" back in the early 1980s. An enjoyable read and lots of beautiful pictures, albeit Mandelbrot is a trifle self-congratulatory.

Bela's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo."

Charles
07-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Yes. They will write you back thanking you for expressing your concerns about ethanol subsidies.

Dave

Is that the current form letter?

Chas

painter
07-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Hey u Folks,
If I missed a thread on the debt ceiling please smack me around a little and show me the way to it.

I was up late last night, and I couldn't sleep. I turned on C-Span and got a belly full of indigestion.

I watched President Barack Obama, some republican leaders, and some democratic leaders get up and make speeches about the debt ceiling. They all said the same thing.

It was everyone elses fault that we are in trouble and that they were the only ones that could lead us out of it. It was really tough to sit and listen to everyonw one of them point fingers at eachother. That was the core of every speech and announcement that I heard. Not a one talked about progress that had been made or issues(specific issues) that were on the table. It was all in generalities.

"We cut x $'s with our thoughts but did so in a smart way" or, "We can't do waht x and x want because they will adversally affect this program and this program." Further, "we are doing what the american people wanted" "This is what they voted for" "The president and congress have had two and a half years to fix things and haven't" ..........

We are in trouble folks.

My wife said we need to lock them in a room with pleanty of food and water until they come up with a solution(and no potty breaks).

I suggested we sieze all of their personal assests until they get it fixed.

Both unrealistic, but it is going to take something extreme before any of these clowns get off their duff and look at the real problem: not just look at what they need to do to get re-elected.

Yours truly,
A hopeless cricket

Flim Flam Men!!!! ;)

painter
07-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Beer and peanuts, but no restroom.

Regards,

D-Ray

Yep! On the White House lawn...oh wait a minute...did that ever work? :D

merrylander
07-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Sen Mark Warner said that if they cannot reach an agreement the should be fired - all of them. SOunds like a plan.

painter
07-28-2011, 08:07 AM
So why not make them supplemental again to fix the budget then. :rolleyes:
Heck we got the "I will put through proposals so absurd that it has no chance of passing so I can say I did what you voted me in for."
Voodoo budgets, voodoo policy making, hey it's the 21st century. :p

Carl

Why don't we just pass a budget and later on worry about what's in it?
Oh...someone else said THAT!! Hummm...back to the think tank. :o

finnbow
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
BEIJING (The Borowitz Report) – Showing its impatience with the debt ceiling stalemate in Washington, China today took the extraordinary step of putting the United States of America on eBay.

Officials at the online auction site said they believed it was the first time a major Western nation had been listed for sale there “if you don’t count Greece.”

In Beijing, the Chinese Finance Ministry said that it had considered waiting until August 2 to see if the US would ever pay back its multitrillion-dollar obligations, but ultimately decided to cut its losses.

“We think we’ll attract a buyer on eBay,” the Ministry said. “Say what you will about the US, it’s still one of the top fifty countries in the world.”

The sales listing for the US contains some interesting information, such as China’s description of the former superpower as being in “fair to average condition.”

The listing also includes the stipulation “government sold separately,” which the Finance Ministry took great pains to explain.

“We thought that including the government in the sale might turn off potential buyers,” the Ministry said. “Plus, the US government isn’t ours to sell anyway – it’s owned by the Koch brothers.”

With no bidders in the first 24 hours on eBay, China admitted that it would be challenging to unload the US, but it still held out hope that a buyer would step forward: “We’ve got our fingers crossed for Zuckerberg.”

At the White House, press secretary Jay Carney said that he understood China’s decision to sell the US, but warned that a buyer would have to turn up on eBay before August 2: “After that, the Internet gets shut off.”

JCricket
07-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Why don't we just pass a budget and later on worry about what's in it?
Oh...someone else said THAT!! Hummm...back to the think tank. :o

Better yet, lets pass a constitional amendment and later worry about what is in it.

JCricket
07-28-2011, 11:06 AM
beijing (the borowitz report) – showing its impatience with the debt ceiling stalemate in washington, china today took the extraordinary step of putting the united states of america on ebay.

Officials at the online auction site said they believed it was the first time a major western nation had been listed for sale there “if you don’t count greece.”

in beijing, the chinese finance ministry said that it had considered waiting until august 2 to see if the us would ever pay back its multitrillion-dollar obligations, but ultimately decided to cut its losses.

“we think we’ll attract a buyer on ebay,” the ministry said. “say what you will about the us, it’s still one of the top fifty countries in the world.”

the sales listing for the us contains some interesting information, such as china’s description of the former superpower as being in “fair to average condition.”

the listing also includes the stipulation “government sold separately,” which the finance ministry took great pains to explain.

“we thought that including the government in the sale might turn off potential buyers,” the ministry said. “plus, the us government isn’t ours to sell anyway – it’s owned by the koch brothers.”

with no bidders in the first 24 hours on ebay, china admitted that it would be challenging to unload the us, but it still held out hope that a buyer would step forward: “we’ve got our fingers crossed for zuckerberg.”

at the white house, press secretary jay carney said that he understood china’s decision to sell the us, but warned that a buyer would have to turn up on ebay before august 2: “after that, the internet gets shut off.”

lmao!!!!

flacaltenn
07-28-2011, 11:30 AM
If there is no winning bid, I hear the various Indian Nations have proposed pooling their gambling resources and buying back the pieces that they want.. And the Russians have proposed buying Alaska back for twice what they paid for it..

JCricket
07-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Was it the french and hte louisiana purchase? Just think, we also get rid of the expense of repairing the levies then too.

finnbow
07-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I say sell Texas to Mexico. It would increase the collective IQ of both the US and Mexico.

finnbow
07-28-2011, 02:39 PM
... and now for the Tea Party's newest hypocrite/spokesperson, Rep. Joe Walsh:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/rep-joe-walsh-tea-party-glass-house-owes-child-support/2011/03/04/gIQA92xGfI_blog.html

This voice of fiscal reason owes over $100K in child support while railing against passing "one more dollar of debt upon the backs of my kids and grandkids." Maroon.

painter
07-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Ceiling...ceiling...where have I heard that before? Oh yes.....

http://www.usnews.com/news/campaign-2008/articles/2008/08/25/how-much-did-hillary-clintons-historic-run-really-break-the-glass-ceiling :rolleyes:

flacaltenn
07-28-2011, 06:07 PM
OK Painter:

Hilliary wasn't just a woman, she was THE woman.

More than 150Mill women to chose from.. Probably more than one available to serve up as Prez.. I think -- given the trajectory of the economy and the 'no light at the end of the tunnel' ominous warning signs.. I'd wait on actually breaking that glass ceiling another 8 years or so.. Let another expensive hair guy take the fall.. THEN -- have a woman save us..

Charles
07-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Ceiling...ceiling...where have I heard that before? Oh yes.....

http://www.usnews.com/news/campaign-2008/articles/2008/08/25/how-much-did-hillary-clintons-historic-run-really-break-the-glass-ceiling :rolleyes:

If you don't mind my asking...were you a Hillary supporter?

And if you don't mind my saying, I get a kick out of you old broads, you call 'em like you see 'em.

So call 'em like you see 'em. I'm just a young 58 yr old whippersnapper who has pretty much spent his time in the trenches of construction...I can always stand some wisdom from my elders.

To tell the truth, I'm inpressed that you're not only willing, but capable, to crawl into this particular trench.

Take that as a compliment, as it was meant as such.

Chas

merrylander
07-29-2011, 07:16 AM
We voted for Hilary in the primaries, did not get a choice in the main event. Bet if she runs in the next primaries she would win.

painter
07-29-2011, 07:26 AM
If you don't mind my asking...were you a Hillary supporter?

And if you don't mind my saying, I get a kick out of you old broads, you call 'em like you see 'em.

So call 'em like you see 'em. I'm just a young 58 yr old whippersnapper who has pretty much spent his time in the trenches of construction...I can always stand some wisdom from my elders.

To tell the truth, I'm inpressed that you're not only willing, but capable, to crawl into this particular trench.

Take that as a compliment, as it was meant as such.

Chas

Thanks for the compliment!
Glad you didn't call me an old BAG (your previous post)! lol

No I was not a Hillary supporter...but admire her strength and ability to stand firm on her convictions.
Look...I truly believe that whomever is the NEXT... be it male/female there should be some experience with EGO set aside.
I also admire Condy Rice as well as Michele Bachman.
I have not considered a male candidate for support because he has not stepped forward....yet. :)

noonereal
07-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Michele Bachman, lol

piece-itpete
07-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Hey, that's (soon to be) President Bachmann. Show some respect :D

Or President Rice lol.

Pete

noonereal
07-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Hey, that's (soon to be) President Bachmann. Show some respect :D

Or President Rice lol.

Pete

If you guys are gonna get a president can't it be someone who is reasonable and well rounded? Like Romney?

flacaltenn
07-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Looks like I might have to dig up that prediction I made in May or so about Bachmann being the nominee.. You guys laughed that one off.. Now it's not sooo funny...

Here it is.. http://www.politicalchat.org/showpost.php?p=61022&postcount=6

d-ray657
07-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Looks like I might have to dig up that prediction I made in May or so about Bachmann being the nominee.. You guys laughed that one off.. Now it's not sooo funny...

But if and when that happens it will not just be the political junkies who are aware of her hypocrisy and her theocratic intentions, but the nation at large. In lived in the same town as Oral Roberts University, where she got her law degree. We were disgusted at the "healing towels" that Roberts sold to little old ladies, and his other "creative" fund-raising techniques. Maybe Michelle can cure the budget deficit by staging her own divine extortion.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow
07-29-2011, 10:10 PM

In the same post, you inferred that Gary Johnson also had a promising future in the primaries. How'd that work out?

As for Bachmann, she's every Dem's wet dream (with respect to being the GOP candidate). She would make McCain's monumental loss pale in comparison.

Charles
07-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the compliment!
Glad you didn't call me an old BAG (your previous post)! lol

No I was not a Hillary supporter...but admire her strength and ability to stand firm on her convictions.
Look...I truly believe that whomever is the NEXT... be it male/female there should be some experience with EGO set aside.
I also admire Condy Rice as well as Michele Bachman.
I have not considered a male candidate for support because he has not stepped forward....yet. :)

My Dear,

God only knows what I've said or done, much better than me.

But I have never called you "an old bag"....I do respect my elders.

You must have me confused with someone else.

Whenever I deliver a personal insult to anyone, it's pistols or swords...and I do mean it.

Haven't done it often, but so far no one has ever called me on it. Reckon my word accounts for something amongst folks who know me.

Chas

flacaltenn
07-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Lighten up D-Ray.. Religious paraphenalia isn't illegal yet.. In fact it's a HUGE business.

And those Oral towels are probably gonna outlive towels like:

http://lisawallerrogers.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/princess-diana-tea-towel.jpg

FinnBow:

Yeah -- I wish I could take the Gary Johnson advert back.. He's not very photogenic or even likeable.. Too bad those are requirements eh?

As for Bachmann, she's every Dem's wet dream (with respect to being the GOP candidate). She would make McCain's monumental loss pale in comparison.

Not if she refuses to validate the lynchmob that wants to goad her into God-talking. Can't make her do that. If she VOLUNTARILY brings it up -- then she's doesn't really want to be Prez..

You know -- I've got snippets from 2000 campaign where Al Gore sounds just like Oral Roberts. Somehow -- that's okie-dokey ain't it? As long as you really don't believe a word you're saying.. Or ----- did he??

d-ray657
07-30-2011, 04:53 AM
No, oral's cloths had his handprint on them, and for only ten dollars you could have one of them to put on whatever ails you.

You a college hoop fan Larry? If so, you must have heard of Bill Self. Today's trivial question is: Where was his first head coaching job? Google is cheating.

Regards,

D-Ray

painter
07-30-2011, 06:57 AM
My Dear,

God only knows what I've said or done, much better than me.

But I have never called you "an old bag"....I do respect my elders.

You must have me confused with someone else.

Whenever I deliver a personal insult to anyone, it's pistols or swords...and I do mean it.

Chas

Oh Charlie...I was referring to this post....

You've taken my statement out of context.

It was a retort to Dave, who suggested that the Baggers (know the libs love that term) were an exhibition of the failure of the public skools, while I advanced the notion that the nation had arrived at this miserable juncture long before the Baggers were a gleam in Palen's eye.

In other words, the Baggers aren't the cause, they're the result.

Get yer head in th' game!!!

But I will submit to your proposal. Public skool is as effective as private skool....if you ignore making connections.

Like they say, "It ain't what you know, it's who you know."

Chas

Just joking Charlie...I have a wry sense of humor at times. Comes from raising two very strong willed sons. ((hugs)) :)

flacaltenn
07-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Not a college hoops fan D-Ray.. Not even hardly when my Gators are in the Final 4.. I've got the tee shirt, but didn't really watch..

Love SEC college baseball and football tho..

Charles
07-31-2011, 05:53 AM
Oh Charlie...I was referring to this post....

You've taken my statement out of context.

It was a retort to Dave, who suggested that the Baggers (know the libs love that term) were an exhibition of the failure of the public skools, while I advanced the notion that the nation had arrived at this miserable juncture long before the Baggers were a gleam in Palen's eye.

In other words, the Baggers aren't the cause, they're the result.

Get yer head in th' game!!!

But I will submit to your proposal. Public skool is as effective as private skool....if you ignore making connections.

Like they say, "It ain't what you know, it's who you know."

Chas

Just joking Charlie...I have a wry sense of humor at times. Comes from raising two very strong willed sons. ((hugs)) :)

I know.

I also hope you, as well as everyone else realizes that the majority of the time I'm joking as well.

I've even taken to saying controversial statements just to see who will come charging out of the woods in defense of a sacred cow. I'm probably having too much fun.

Chas

noonereal
07-31-2011, 07:12 AM
I am not joking, I want all teabaggers removed from my country. :)

BlueStreak
07-31-2011, 11:16 AM
I respect Condi Rice.

Bachmann is a Theocrat and a total loon who married a latent homosexual. Not that her choice in husbands really matters to me....It's just the irony of it all. Don't believe it? Just listen to that Nancy talk for crying out loud.

Come to think of it, I have a sneaking suspicion that Michelle is a latent lesbian wrapped up in self loathing. And the whole "Pray the Gay Away" thing her and girly boy are into is little more than projection. They're really just trying to "save" themselves.

Dave

Charles
07-31-2011, 12:56 PM

"YOUR" country???

All Hail King Noon!!!

Chas

JCricket
07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
I know.

I also hope you, as well as everyone else realizes that the majority of the time I'm joking as well.

I've even taken to saying controversial statements just to see who will come charging out of the woods in defense of a sacred cow. I'm probably having too much fun.
Chas

you mean!, you suck!

JCricket
07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
I know.

I also hope you, as well as everyone else realizes that the majority of the time I'm a joke as well.(there, fixed fer ya)

Chas

No how is that for poking fun!;):eek::mad::o sorry

JJIII
07-31-2011, 03:53 PM
"your" country???

All hail king noon!!!

Chas

Bam!:) (Credit to Pete.)

Charles
07-31-2011, 03:55 PM
No how is that for poking fun!;):eek::mad::o sorry

Now you've blown the punchline.

Chas

painter
07-31-2011, 05:29 PM
I respect Condi Rice.

Bachmann is a Theocrat and a total loon who married a latent homosexual. Not that her choice in husbands really matters to me....It's just the irony of it all. Don't believe it? Just listen to that Nancy talk for crying out loud.

Come to think of it, I have a sneaking suspicion that Michelle is a latent lesbian wrapped up in self loathing. And the whole "Pray the Gay Away" thing her and girly boy are into is little more than projection. They're really just trying to "save" themselves.

Dave

Latest talk around this area is...Obama is considering NY's Andrew Cuomo as his next running mate :D
I highly doubt it. Cuomo has a BIG ego! I can just see it now...ROFLMAO!!

BlueStreak
07-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Latest talk around this area is...Obama is considering NY's Andrew Cuomo as his next running mate :D
I highly doubt it. Cuomo has a BIG ego! I can just see it now...ROFLMAO!!

And, I understand he's popular. So, who cares?

BTW. I can't think of any bigger ego than someone who honestly believes they have been chosen by God himself to run for President.

Can you?

Dave

Zeke
07-31-2011, 08:02 PM
BTW. I can't think of any bigger ego than someone who honestly believes they have been chosen by God himself to run for President.

I don't think anyone can make it through the gauntlet unless that IS what you believe...

That's a tough road...

finnbow
07-31-2011, 08:38 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/07/30/opinion/sunday/2010731cartoon-sfimage/2010731cartoon-sfimage-custom1.jpg

BlueStreak
07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
OMG, is that AWESOME!!!!

Thanks, Finn!

Dave

bhunter
08-01-2011, 01:01 AM

Thank God that we're still a democracy and have opposing viewpoints. The alternative has never worked out very well for the people. You surely aren't proposing a monarchy?

Charles
08-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Bearing in mind that this thread is about the debt ceiling...

have our betters saved the nation yet???

Chas

merrylander
08-01-2011, 07:36 AM
I don't think so.

Charles
08-01-2011, 07:39 AM
I don't think so.

Well, are they taking credit for saving our nation yet?

And that's it for me, gotta go to work and it's gonna be 101 in the shade.

Boo and hiss.

Chas

flacaltenn
08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
FinnBow:

It's not money that Congress lacks, it's humility. And the ability to SUPERVISE, MANAGE, and concentrate on their responsibilities. The humor comes just from seeing Boehner as a repairman of ANY type. Because these talentless morons PRETEND they are the GroupenFuhrers of knowledge for every aspect of society.

Don't think Ronald Reagan was the 1st to use this but he said..

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

Take away the tool belt, replace those power tools with atomic weapons, and you start to see how scary it actually is..

BlueStreak
08-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Reagan also raised the debt ceiling. On more than one occasion, as I understand it.
But, you probably had no problem with it, then.

And, I want the TP to stay. They are an eternal font of amusement. They mental image of a bunch of yahoos who dress up like it's 1776, fancy themselves to be "Great Americans" and push around Boehner like he's the schoolyard geek is priceless.

Dave

flacaltenn
08-01-2011, 10:06 AM
It's not how many times the debt ceiling was raised for Reagan, it's the size of each raise.. OB and the Pelosi/Reid jihad spent more on the Stimulus than ANY single reagan budget in total..

And I agree about the Tea Party. Not only entertaining, but effective. Perhaps you need to join the Coffee Party and do the same thing for the Dems. Maybe shore up their Socialist backbone a little bit to encourage competition with limited govt -- free market ideas..

piece-itpete
08-01-2011, 11:17 AM
If you guys are gonna get a president can't it be someone who is reasonable and well rounded? Like Romney?

A rich wall streeter?

Lighten up D-Ray.. Religious paraphenalia isn't illegal yet.. In fact it's a HUGE business.

And those Oral towels are probably gonna outlive towels like:

http://lisawallerrogers.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/princess-diana-tea-towel.jpg

FinnBow:

Yeah -- I wish I could take the Gary Johnson advert back.. He's not very photogenic or even likeable.. Too bad those are requirements eh?

Not if she refuses to validate the lynchmob that wants to goad her into God-talking. Can't make her do that. If she VOLUNTARILY brings it up -- then she's doesn't really want to be Prez..

You know -- I've got snippets from 2000 campaign where Al Gore sounds just like Oral Roberts. Somehow -- that's okie-dokey ain't it? As long as you really don't believe a word you're saying.. Or ----- did he??

Don't bet on it - the merry English love their royal stuff.

Bam!:) (Credit to Pete.)

Thansk! But none needed. It's passed into the public domain.

And I didn't get a cent lol. I see you have another hideous creature :)

Pete