PDA

View Full Version : Cafr

Charles
08-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Oldie but a goodie, over 2 hrs long, but you don't need to watch it all to get the gist of the thing.

Any thoughts?

Chas

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2860538828528453481

Charles
09-01-2009, 08:11 PM
What happened to my thread? The couple of comments were removed.

Don't matter, just ask one of your city fathers, or county officials, as to what they know about the comprehensive annual financial report.

I have, and my buddy has, and all we got was the smoke and mirrors routine. They immediately reframe the discussion. The politicians don't want to talk about this, they don't even want to admit to it's existence.

They truly are running two sets of books. Apparently, everyone already knows this, huh?

Chas

noonereal
09-01-2009, 08:39 PM
We had a good discussion here Chas, I wonder what happened?

And I took the time to watch the entire thing before I commented.:cool:

Charles
09-01-2009, 09:16 PM
We had a good discussion here Chas, I wonder what happened?

And I took the time to watch the entire thing before I commented.:cool:

You got me, reckon things happen.

As to CAFR's, around 30 yrs ago one of my buddies and myself were drinking whiskey with the head of the board of public works here in Bugtussell (you'd have to know Bill...a one of a kind). And quite a bit older than ourselves.

After we got good and tuned up (which was unusual for Bill, he poured whiskey on his cornflakes every morning), he informed us that the board of public works had 3 mil in an account that no one knew about. And he also told us that if he heard anything about this uptown, he'd know which SOB's to come lookin' for. That's pretty much a quote, and I really had no idea as to what he was talking about at the time.

Around 10 yrs ago I picked up on CAFR's. Asked my old buddy if the county had one, just being curious, no harm intended. He and his family have been political players around here for at least 50 years, probably closer to 100.

And we went back 30 yrs, and were pretty tight, at least I thought. He gave me a song and dance, "Well you know, you're in business, you gotta buy a new truck or something every now and then, and you gotta have some money set back, you know".

I just asked an innocent question. All he had to say was, "Sure, the county has investments, and a CAFR...they all do." Then again, he'd told me more than once that you can see the county's finances...they print them in the paper every year. Which is a half lie. Like I said, two sets of books.

This bothered me. We were old buddies, and went waaay back, wasn't like if he told me something I'd use it to stir up shit. Guarantee you one thing, I already know plenty if I'm of a notion to stir up shit. And that goes both ways.

He couldn't have handled it any worse. I've never really trusted him since.

Don't ask me how much I trust the politicians that I don't get drunk with.

Chas