PDA

View Full Version : Foreclosure

diamondsoul
09-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Listened to a report about foreclosures in Florida. Sad. People up and leaving with only a bag of clothes. Even leaving family photos and other momentos behind. People who can't leave their homes because the banks will break in and change the locks claiming that the home was abandoned. So many appliances, furniture, etc., from foreclosed homes they've started piling them in huge piles.

Obama should have created a fund with at least half of the money that was used to bail of the ones responsible for this mess. A fund that some of these folks could access to save their homes. At least then that money would have eventually found it's way into the economy instead of into off shore bank accounts.

djv8ga
09-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Listened to a report about foreclosures in Florida. Sad. People up and leaving with only a bag of clothes. Even leaving family photos and other momentos behind. People who can't leave their homes because the banks will break in and change the locks claiming that the home was abandoned. So many appliances, furniture, etc., from foreclosed homes they've started piling them in huge piles.

It's exactly the opposite here. People strip the house of everything including A.C., wiring, thermostats, doors, pool equipment, glass, plumbing fixtures, and more.

bhunter
09-03-2011, 07:06 PM
It's exactly the opposite here. People strip the house of everything including A.C., wiring, thermostats, doors, pool equipment, glass, plumbing fixtures, and more.

Yep, destuction just for the sport. A lot of these folks had very little or nothing down, thus they do not have that to lose. As I watched home cost spiral out of control here in California during the Clinton administration, I always wondered how people could afford them. The numbers just didn't add up. When a couple is earning say 120k and their house payment is 6k they're in trouble.

noonereal
09-03-2011, 08:17 PM

good, glad to hear it

if the banks had been reasonable and honest with them, this would not be happening

noonereal
09-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Yep, destruction just for the sport.

I believe the folks that do this do it because they need the money and feel the bank was not honest nor reasonable with them and that it is theirs to sell before the bank gets it.

One or two may be disgruntled to the point of vandalism and I won't excuse that but the banks deserve it and more.

djv8ga
09-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Removing an A.C. off a roof without a crane facinates me. I sure as Hell wouldn't attempt it. :eek:

d-ray657
09-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Removing an A.C. off a roof without a crane facinates me. I sure as Hell wouldn't attempt it. :eek:

That - - is insanity.

Regards,

D-Ray

Combwork
09-03-2011, 11:17 PM

It's amazing what you can move with a winch off a car trailer, rope, wooden rails, dexian and the frame of a bread trolly 'borrowed' (they know me) from the local supermarket.

Moving an AC unit would be Hmmm. How heavy is it (best guess based on manufacturers spec), what have I got (winch, skids, whatever comes to hand) and safety. Once you get beyond the point where you know there is no way you (with or without friends) can lift it you start thinking.

Not always successful. When I was trying to move a large cast iron stove out of my workshop it slipped, took the wing of my mates car and put me in hospital (my hand was between the stove and the car).

You know when you've truly fucked up when it doesn't hurt, just goes numb. Time to get the wedding ring off before things start expanding, kid yourself that you can get away with an ice-pack, then it's down to a & e.

Dondilion
09-04-2011, 12:09 AM
As I watched home cost spiral out of control here in California during the Clinton administration, I always wondered how people could afford them. The numbers just didn't add up. When a couple is earning say 120k and their house payment is 6k they're in trouble.

Tried to discourage a relative from getting involve with a 3k mortgage and she thought I was pure evil......I did not want her to own a house.
The fact of the matter was her finance just did not compute. It was way out!

merrylander
09-04-2011, 06:54 AM
The government did setup a fund/plan to refinance rather than foreclose but the banks won't cooperate. Now IMHO only a barking idiot would foreclose, knowing they are going to lose big$$$$ rather than delay payment or re-finance at the present value.

Charles
09-04-2011, 07:40 AM
It's amazing what you can move with a winch off a car trailer, rope, wooden rails, dexian and the frame of a bread trolly 'borrowed' (they know me) from the local supermarket.

Moving an AC unit would be Hmmm. How heavy is it (best guess based on manufacturers spec), what have I got (winch, skids, whatever comes to hand) and safety. Once you get beyond the point where you know there is no way you (with or without friends) can lift it you start thinking.

Not always successful. When I was trying to move a large cast iron stove out of my workshop it slipped, took the wing of my mates car and put me in hospital (my hand was between the stove and the car).

You know when you've truly fucked up when it doesn't hurt, just goes numb. Time to get the wedding ring off before things start expanding, kid yourself that you can get away with an ice-pack, then it's down to a & e.

Had something similar happen to me.

Was helping a friend move a cast iron insert out of his basement whenever he got his feet tangled up in the stairs and dropped the dolly on my hand.

But I didn't go to the doctor. I wrapped a rag around my mangled fingers and self medicated with more Budweiser and a couple of stiff shots of Choke & Gag.

Note to self: Don't help lawyers move big, heavy things.

You are correct, if it doesn't hurt, you know you've already gone into shock.

Chas

merrylander
09-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Had something similar happen to me.

Was helping a friend move a cast iron insert out of his basement whenever he got his feet tangled up in the stairs and dropped the dolly on my hand.

But I didn't go to the doctor. I wrapped a rag around my mangled fingers and self medicated with more Budweiser and a couple of stiff shots of Choke & Gag.

Note to self: Don't help lawyers move big, heavy things.

Chas

BTDT when my table saw got to bite me after 30 years.

Charles
09-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Never trust an inanimate object.

They're like a wolf, peering from it's lair, waiting for the unsuspecting to come too close.

I was even attacked by a lawn chair once. It seized me by the buttocks with it's steel jaws and threw me into the lake, in an apparent attempt to drown me.

Chas

djv8ga
09-04-2011, 05:50 PM
:eek: Man...I've been around too many table saw accidents, skil saw accidents, as well as watching people router off fingers in my time. I haven't had any major accidents with stuff. Only a few nails shot clean through the hand - no biggie. I stapled my hand (1.5" staples) to a pallet before and that was a real problem...LOL!

Charles
09-04-2011, 07:53 PM
:eek: Man...I've been around too many table saw accidents, skil saw accidents, as well as watching people router off fingers in my time. I haven't had any major accidents with stuff. Only a few nails shot clean through the hand - no biggie. I stapled my hand (1.5" staples) to a pallet before and that was a real problem...LOL!

M1?

I've been on the wrong end of a pneumatic fastening system a few times myself. The most painful was when a rim joist split and I shot a Bostich 16D right through my thumb nail. Those little wires work just like the barb on a fish hook, BTW.

The funny part was, it happened about 15 seconds after I had just explained to a novice, who was afraid of nail guns, that although they were dangerous, you had nothing to worry about as long as you paid attention to what you were doing.

He left the trades shortly afterward.

Chas

d-ray657
09-04-2011, 09:17 PM

That sounds about as painful as trying to lick a frozen flag pole.

I know enough about my klutziness to never get near a pneumatic fastener. My wife got really worried when I got a table saw. :eek: Maybe that's why she keeps putting off having a garage sale to clear the rest of the stuff out of the garage. Until then I have no room to use the saw.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
09-04-2011, 10:47 PM
That sounds about as painful as trying to lick a frozen flag pole.

I know enough about my klutziness to never get near a pneumatic fastener. My wife got really worried when I got a table saw. :eek: Maybe that's why she keeps putting off having a garage sale to clear the rest of the stuff out of the garage. Until then I have no room to use the saw.

Regards,

D-Ray

You know, Don, I've never understood the fascination people have with table saws. They're a specialized tool with limited uses. And unless they're set up properly in an over sized table, they ARE dangerous.

Besides, you have to carry the lumber to the saw instead of the saw to the lumber.

Get one of these with a cheap Diablo blade.

http://www.amazon.com/Skil-SHD77-4-Inch-Worm-Drive/dp/B000P7MAEM/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

You'll get a thousand times more usage out of it than a table saw, and they're impossible to wear out. I've got an all metal unit I bought in 1978 and it still works as good as new.

Actually, it's better than a new one.

Chas

merrylander
09-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Got two of those saws Chas, but they still dont do as good a job as my old tilt arbour Beaver. Beaver was a Canadian company that got bought out be DeWalt if memory serves.

noonereal
09-05-2011, 07:34 AM
The government did setup a fund/plan to refinance rather than foreclose but the banks won't cooperate. Now IMHO only a barking idiot would foreclose, knowing they are going to lose big$$$$ rather than delay payment or re-finance at the present value.

`The banks are too big to approach their business reasonably. THEY are losing way more money and value than they need to.
It's funny, they will not work with the home own. They go so far as to hire minimum wage representatives who are given no authority to alter existing mortgages to show up at mandated home own/ bank meetings to technically comply with the law while totally disregarding it.
So they take a house with a worth $375,000 dollars with a $300,000 mortgage and foreclose rather than renegotiate.
The banking crises lowers the value of the home to $250,000 so they cannot sell it and they will not accept a short sale. It stands empty and uncared for. As a result a small leak has a year latter taken down a large part of the ceiling and water damage causes considerable damage over time. Vines and weeds push their way into exterior areas then the winter comes and the ice and water further destroy the structure where the weeds have exploited what had been negligible cracks.
Then an unusual northern hurricane hits and 3 feet of water enters the basement and submerges the heater, hot water tank, water pump, water conditioner...
The electric has been turned off so the sum pump that normally works automatically cannot prevent this as it normally would.

The value of the home now stands around $125,000 and continues to devalue.
Meantime the home own who tried to rent the property from the bank after his daughter's short sale offer was rejected pays $1,600 a month rent for a property in the same neighborhood.

The banks make the federal government look like the most efficient organization in the world.

merrylander
09-05-2011, 08:09 AM
I refuse to deal with the big banks here as they are little more than thieves that operate just inside the law.

Of course, give the mortgage system here, the fiasco was inevitable.

Charles
09-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Got two of those saws Chas, but they still dont do as good a job as my old tilt arbour Beaver. Beaver was a Canadian company that got bought out be DeWalt if memory serves.

Had to Google to see your saw, but it looks like a good one.

Those old cast iron saws with a fanbelt are good stuff. If I used one every day I would get the biggest, heaviest one I could find.

But I only need one a few times a year, and not for critical work. So I opted for a collapsible unit which doesn't weigh much.

It knocks down and sets us in under a minute, and I can move it by myself.

As an interesting side, we have a crew of Black Hats whose only power saw is a gasoline powered table saw...they move it around in a horse drawn buggy. And I've been told they even use it to cut rafters.

All I can say is the steel wheel crowd has some peculiar religious beliefs. They're fortunate that the Good Lord forbids them from owning airplanes.

Chas

djv8ga
09-05-2011, 09:29 AM
I've seen more trouble with skil saws than anything else. Someone standing up framimg and cutting a 2x4. Next thing you know, the saw is jumping out of the board right into the operators hand. I have flashbacks of other peoples mishaps everytime I pick one up which is almost everyday. They are a handy tool though...no doubt about it.

d-ray657
09-05-2011, 09:52 AM
The thing that scares me about a Skillsaw is that the name suggests that one should have skill to operate it.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
09-05-2011, 10:05 AM
I've seen more trouble with skil saws than anything else. Someone standing up framimg and cutting a 2x4. Next thing you know, the saw is jumping out of the board right into the operators hand. I have flashbacks of other peoples mishaps everytime I pick one up which is almost everyday. They are a handy tool though...no doubt about it.

I've seen a few accidents with foolsaws, the one's where the idiots took the guard off of a skilsaw so they could work faster.

Chas

merrylander
09-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Tried Google but did not see my saw, so here are some pics. Shop is at sixes and sevens just now due to moving in a lot of stuff that will end up back in the playroom, or in the trash.

Charles
09-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Tried Google but did not see my saw, so here are some pics. Shop is at sixes and sevens just now due to moving in a lot of stuff that will end up back in the playroom, or in the trash.

Your shop looks good, it has room for your feet.

The saw I pulled up on the internet must have been an earlier model, it was more art deco. But yours has both wheels and a suspended motor. And it looks like it weighs enough that it won't fall over while you're trying to feed it lumber.

Chas

djv8ga
09-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I've seen a few accidents with foolsaws, the one's where the idiots took the guard off of a skilsaw so they could work faster.

Chas
I take the safety mechanisms off my nail guns, but that's it.

merrylander
09-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Your shop looks good, it has room for your feet.

The saw I pulled up on the internet must have been an earlier model, it was more art deco. But yours has both wheels and a suspended motor. And it looks like it weighs enough that it won't fall over while you're trying to feed it lumber.

Chas

That is the 3200 model, they turn up on Canadian CL quite often I hear, but not with the extensions. I built the stand, casters on two corners feet on the other two. You can (barely) pick up one end of the table and roll it. Lots of adjustments for the blade to table slot alignment, fence alignment, replaced the bearings once.

Charles
09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I take the safety mechanisms off my nail guns, but that's it.

Used to have a couple of SN4's with tied back safeties, and I never got shot. Been shot twice from bump firing with wire safeties, shot myself once in the finger, and got shot once in the chest...hit a rib and hurt like hell.

Anymore, I like a senquential trip safety with a saw nose. Slows you down and gives you more precision.

Back in the good old days, I was a rig axe framer, who learned the trade in Colorado from carpenters from the state of California.

Does that mean anything to you?

Chas

Zeke
09-05-2011, 09:59 PM

Twenty years ago I blew out an ACL by bending a knee backwards. I felt nothing and got up trying to walk, twice. (No discernible pain, my leg just didn't work.) I, then, hobbled into a car trying to sit down/pivot on said knee where it didn't function and I nearly fell on my ass, twice. When I got to the ER my leg was enormous and didn't hurt at all: until the next day.

I was thinking sprain all the way.

The human body is an amazing thing.

bhunter
09-06-2011, 02:31 AM

I concur. I like a good table saw. The surprise I purchased was a Porter Cable #345 6 inch circular saw. I use it more than my larger saws. The thing is light, has no dangerous lock out switch, and the blade is on the left. I originally bought it as a trim saw, but I use it for anything up to 2X. I think I've seen a Beaver. They're heavy and solidly constructed if I recall correctly. I'd like to have a Unisaw, but not enough space for a cabinet saw here.

Combwork
09-06-2011, 02:26 PM
`The banks are too big to approach their business reasonably. THEY are losing way more money and value than they need to.
It's funny, they will not work with the home own. They go so far as to hire minimum wage representatives who are given no authority to alter existing mortgages to show up at mandated home own/ bank meetings to technically comply with the law while totally disregarding it.
So they take a house with a worth $375,000 dollars with a $300,000 mortgage and foreclose rather than renegotiate.
The banking crises lowers the value of the home to $250,000 so they cannot sell it and they will not accept a short sale. It stands empty and uncared for. As a result a small leak has a year latter taken down a large part of the ceiling and water damage causes considerable damage over time. Vines and weeds push their way into exterior areas then the winter comes and the ice and water further destroy the structure where the weeds have exploited what had been negligible cracks.
Then an unusual northern hurricane hits and 3 feet of water enters the basement and submerges the heater, hot water tank, water pump, water conditioner...
The electric has been turned off so the sum pump that normally works automatically cannot prevent this as it normally would.

The value of the home now stands around $125,000 and continues to devalue.
Meantime the home own who tried to rent the property from the bank after his daughter's short sale offer was rejected pays $1,600 a month rent for a property in the same neighborhood.

The banks make the federal government look like the most efficient organization in the world.

Absolutely! Could not have been said better. The problem here was bankers gambling with other peoples money. They literally could not loose. If it went wrong it was the depositors money that went down the drain, not there's.

merrylander
09-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Absolutely! Could not have been said better. The problem here was bankers gambling with other peoples money. They literally could not loose. If it went wrong it was the depositors money that went down the drain, not there's.

CW I can't understand letting the banks there play games, RBofS for example. If a Canadian banker were to say derivatives they would wash out his mouth. Guess I mistakenly assumed that RBofC would be summat like an English bank and they certainly are a delight to deal with. Bell deposits my pension there simply because if they mailed me a check in Canadian funds the banks here would take about 10% as 'exchange' wheras the $CDN is higher than the $US.

Combwork
09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
CW I can't understand letting the banks there play games, RBofS for example. If a Canadian banker were to say derivatives they would wash out his mouth. Guess I mistakenly assumed that RBofC would be summat like an English bank and they certainly are a delight to deal with. Bell deposits my pension there simply because if they mailed me a check in Canadian funds the banks here would take about 10% as 'exchange' wheras the $CDN is higher than the $US.

Neither can we, but the UK government bailed them out because "they were to big to be allowed to fail". According to the papers they were within two hours of closing the doors and preventing account holders getting money out of their accounts via ATMs.

Bigerik
09-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Neither can we, but the UK government bailed them out because "they were to big to be allowed to fail". According to the papers they were within two hours of closing the doors and preventing account holders getting money out of their accounts via ATMs.

All of which happened because there was too much regulation, right? Never would have happened in a pure, capitalist system! :)

merrylander
09-07-2011, 07:30 AM
A little story about RBC, I sold summat to an AK member in Canada and he sent me a check in $CDN so I sent it up to RBC for deposit. Got my bank statement and no deposit so I called the bank. My representative said she would investigate. Got a call later that they discovered the error and corrected it and as an apology they put an extra $100 in my account. I can just see Bof A or Citi doing that.:p

piece-itpete
09-07-2011, 08:25 AM
RBofS is more like the RBofBS.

Pete

merrylander
09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
RBofS is more like the RBofBS.

Pete

Wasn't so much the employees as the CEO.

djv8ga
09-07-2011, 06:36 PM
A little story about RBC, I sold summat to an AK member in Canada and he sent me a check in $CDN so I sent it up to RBC for deposit. Got my bank statement and no deposit so I called the bank. My representative said she would investigate. Got a call later that they discovered the error and corrected it and as an apology they put an extra $100 in my account. I can just see Bof A or Citi doing that.:p
That's unreal. They'd have me on the hook for life after that.

merrylander
09-08-2011, 06:55 AM
That's unreal. They'd have me on the hook for life after that.

Even better, when I lived up there they held my mortgage. Canadian mortgages tend to be 5/25, meaning a 25 year term with interest rates evaluated every 5 years. Mine hit the 20 year mark during Carter's term when interest rates hit the roof. I asked if I could simply pay it off and the said sure. Well I had to cash in a life insurance policy and everyone else was doing the same thing, so the check was slow in coming. After about two weeks they called and asked if I could at least pay something. So I went around to the bank and pulle money out of savings. gave them the balance a week and a half later. No problems.:D

piece-itpete
09-08-2011, 09:15 AM
I've had mad trouble with Charter One (RBofS), charlatans and crooks all...

Pete

merrylander
09-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I've had mad trouble with Charter One (RBofS), charlatans and crooks all...

Pete

Pete there is no connection between RBC and RBS other than the first twi initials.

piece-itpete
09-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Heck reading your experience I wish I could bank with them.

Pete

Combwork
09-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Pete there is no connection between RBC and RBS other than the first twi initials.

It can get confusing. BOS stands for Bank of Scotland, RBOS stands for Royal Bank of Scotland. There's a lot of amalgamation between different banking groups and what used to be Building Societies.

What they seem to be doing is making the groups bigger so banks within the same group can help support each other.

Just like the Euro doesn't:D

djv8ga
09-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Even better, when I lived up there they held my mortgage. Canadian mortgages tend to be 5/25, meaning a 25 year term with interest rates evaluated every 5 years. Mine hit the 20 year mark during Carter's term when interest rates hit the roof. I asked if I could simply pay it off and the said sure. Well I had to cash in a life insurance policy and everyone else was doing the same thing, so the check was slow in coming. After about two weeks they called and asked if I could at least pay something. So I went around to the bank and pulle money out of savings. gave them the balance a week and a half later. No problems.:D
It almost makes to much sense.
The Canadians run their real estate/mortgage market the right way IMO.
Even when you buy a lot in a rural residental area, the soil tests and such must be done before a sale.
This is one area where I agree with a little more regulation than we have here.
You did your homework and kept your eye on the future which is something that I think the majority of Americans don't do anymore.

Not to blow air up your dress, but I've been facinated with the tree planting thing you've been doing. I'm keeping a ranch in Montana and the lot in New Brunswick. I've been really making an effort to tree both properties the right way...looking to the future as you have.
I've made a deal with a gentleman who does the reforesting (seedlings) thing up in Canada and he's going to do my lot in a productive way as well as keep an eye on the trees.
He said it should be "interesting"...I hope that means good.

d-ray657
09-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Even when you buy a lot in a rural residental area, the soil tests and such must be done before a sale.
You did your homework and kept your eye on the future which is something that I think the majority of Americans don't do anymore.

Not to blow air up your dress, but I've been facinated with the tree planting thing you've been doing. I'm keeping a ranch in Montana and the lot in New Brunswick. I've been really making an effort to tree both properties the right way...looking to the future as you have.
I've made a deal with a gentleman who does the reforesting (seedlings) thing up in Canada and he's going to do my lot in a productive way as well as keep an eye on the trees.

Some interesting ideas. You might be green without even admitting it. :cool: Actually, my older, more conservative brothers are avid hunters, and at least one of them is a member of Ducks Unlimited. As I understand it, DU has quite an environmental emphasis.

I think all of us want to leave a legacy. It sounds like at least one part of yours will be tall and abundant. Besides his trees, Rob has a string of Yamahas playing tunes all over the country.

Secondary to having happy and successful offspring and progeny, I would like to have the legacy of my name being on the winning side of a Supreme Court case someday. Or maybe that's just vanity.

Regards,

D-Ray

djv8ga
09-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I would like to have the legacy of my name being on the winning side of a Supreme Court case someday.

Regards,

D-Ray
That would be awesome! Win or lose, just getting there would be a rush. :cool:
I really hope you get a shot at it one day.

Oh yeah, I'm green. I can't even shoot a pigeon without feeling bad for a month.

merrylander
09-09-2011, 07:21 AM

The way we look at it the trees reduce our carbon footprint and make the place look nice.

You probably noticed that there are no mortgage brokers up there nor title companies. Are you aware that when here they sell you a $400 title insurance policy the title companies comission is $320 - that's right kiddies the commission rate is 80%.

I see old Krauthammer repeating the same old lie about the subprimes today. The neo-cons really are students of Goebbels - if you tell a lie make it big and tell it often, soon people will believe you. The mortgage brokers and banks lied, plain and simple, they cooked the paperwork just to get their points. Blaming the governmment's attempts to stop red lining is like condoning Willie Sutton for robbing banks, because as he said "That's where the money is."

I suppose that the GOP is about to blame the governmet for all those doctors and wheel chair salemen who rip off Medicare. They recently rounded up close to 100 of them, hope they throw the book at them.

I wwonder why all our financial laws were written by crooks?:rolleyes:

Charles
09-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I don't plant trees.

Here in Missouri, you can't cut the damn things down fast enough as is.

Chas

djv8ga
09-09-2011, 07:47 AM
I don't plant trees.

Here in Missouri, you can't cut the damn things down fast enough as is.

Chas
I could send you some fine Az. cactus to plant just to change things up a bit.

merrylander
09-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Damn squirrels plant black walnuts all over our place but never where we want them. I tried planting some black walnut nuts but they never grow, guess my tail is not bushy enough.