PDA

View Full Version : Clunkers, it gets better

Charles
08-27-2009, 08:48 PM
What can I say, Chas

http://market-ticker.org/archives/1371-Government-And-Car-Dealers-Hose-You-Again.html

wajobu
08-27-2009, 09:22 PM
No such thing as a free ride.

Twodogs
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
I can just see someone trading in their SUV, paying full sticker for a clown car, then getting hosed a couple times on taxes. All this so they can save 2 or 3 hundred bucks a year in fuel. Dumbshits:p

Grumpy
08-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I knew about being taxed on the full value and did not even trade something in. Sorry but I think anyone who did not do their homework cannot say nothing about having to pay the taxes. They were disclosed up front nearly all over the web.

Charles
08-28-2009, 07:34 PM
I knew about being taxed on the full value and did not even trade something in. Sorry but I think anyone who did not do their homework cannot say nothing about having to pay the taxes. They were disclosed up front nearly all over the web.

That I did not know.

But I DID know that I wasn't gonna get suckered by the Clunkers bill.

From where I come from, fixin' the old clunker is a hell of a lot cheaper that buyin' a new clunker.

'course, I'm pretty handy, and it gives me an edge. And I can count, which gives me a bigger edge.

And as far as keepin' up witt th' Jones's...my junks paid for...you fellers pay th' interest.

Chas

merrylander
08-29-2009, 07:23 AM
We did not even think about a trade-in, we drive full sized Chaev Impala LSs that get 29 MPG highway. Saw Mr. Opportunity peddling Honda Civics that also get 29 MPG highway and that is a 4-cyl upholstered rollerskate.

Grumpy
08-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Even if you wanted to trade the impala in it would not have qualified under the max MPG guidelines for the program.

I am not defending Honda ( as I think our gov's money should have only been paid out to US companies ) but your impala is a few years old if I recall. Its 29 mpg rating would be less if rated to the 2009 EPA standards the new civic is.

noonereal
08-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Even if you wanted to trade the impala in it would not have qualified under the max MPG guidelines for the program.

I am not defending Honda ( as I think our gov's money should have only been paid out to US companies ) but your impala is a few years old if I recall. Its 29 mpg rating would be less if rated to the 2009 EPA standards the new civic is.

Isn't the line as to what is a US company blurred today?
Don't Jap cars get built in the US?
Who owns how much stock in any given company?

Walmart is a US company. Is it good for the US? Should we support it over a rival who is Jap based but sells American made stuff?

Grumpy
08-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Isn't the line as to what is a US company blurred today?
Don't Jap cars get built in the US?
Who owns how much stock in any given company?

Walmart is a US company. Is it good for the US? Should we support it over a rival who is Jap based but sells American made stuff?

I knew my post would bring up this subject even before I posted it. yup the lines are blurred and smearing more every day.

Let me clarify my stance on the clunker program to try and get this thread back on track. I do not feel we had any business offering tax payers money to try to stimulate the auto industry. Sure the program was supposed to be eco friendly and I applaud that but it was a ruse to sell cars and get the factories back to work.

Now that the moneys exhausted I really feel the auto companies are going to feel the pain in the car sales department. They depleted what, maybe the next 6 months worth of car sales to help speed things up.

Two steps forward and 12 back..

noonereal
08-29-2009, 08:58 AM
I tend to agree with you but I do think you woke some thoughts about what buy American really means. Think I'll start a new thread to explore it. :rolleyes:

merrylander
08-29-2009, 10:47 AM
To be precise Hondas are assembled in the U.S. somewhat different than being built. And 29 MPG highway is the 'new' EPA rating for the Impala, it started out at 30 when the new models were introduced in 2000. In fact it was the only full size sedan to get listed in the high mileage tables.

Grumpy
08-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Not sure where your getting the numbers from but http://www.fueleconomy.gov is listing the 09 civic ( don't have a 10 model yet ) as 25/35. OK scratch that I see you took the numbers from the base model which is 21/29 compared to the Impala's 18/29 which is really not an apples to apples since neither car aims for the same buyers, is the same size or uses comparable motors. A fairer comparison to both cars would be civic versus Malibu

One thing I will say ( and it has no bearing on me owning a Toyota Yaris ) is the EPA ratings still need to be taken with a grain of salt. Our Yaris which is rated at 29/35 averages out at well over 40 mpg per tank.

The Same can be said for my 2000 astrovan which is rated at 13/18 with a combined of 15 mpg. Generally I average out much higher when mostly highway traveling at 22-23 mpg and around town between 10-12. I drive fairly conservative speed wise around town and keep up for the most part with highway traffic.

I know you feel strongly about your impala. Much in the way I do about my Astrovan. Sure my Astro is 9 years old but Ive owned it since about 2004. Its been far from trouble free nor cheap to repair. 400.00 starters and 2500.00 head gaskets are more the norm. I know since I just spent over 4000 to repair many of these things myself rather then paying the dealer well over 6000.00 to perform them.

These prices seem more in line with my last Isuzu which was ridiculously over priced when it came to replacement parts and labor.

Theres good and bad on both sides now thats for sure.

merrylander
08-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Actually Dave I was going with the numbers Honda uses in their commercial. Iagree with you on the parts bit, when I had the Probe (Mazda) there was a rattle in the alternator, turned out to be loose bolts. The mechanic said that was a good thing because an alternator was over $500!

Grumpy
08-29-2009, 11:52 AM
The alternator on my 95 Isuzu Rodeo was 700 bucks. Whats Ironic is a ton of the electrical system was Delco.

ehoove
09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Here is the dealers side of it: The program was ill implemented, and did a huge disservice to the dealers and those who need cheap solid transportation. The savings to the environment when considering the energy cost of disposal of the vehicles is negligible. If they really wanted to do something this program would have targeted GM and Chrysler, and the rebate would have been used to payback the loans given to these companies, rather than to the foreign owned companies being supported by their own countries bailout programs.
Regards,
Jim

merrylander
09-02-2009, 07:52 AM
I wonder how Senator Corker's (Tennessee I think) little plan to offer Volkswagon $500 million to build a plant in his state is coming along. Guess maybe the recession put a crimp in that one.

piece-itpete
09-03-2009, 08:15 AM
...that is a 4-cyl upholstered rollerskate.

Lmao!!!

....The program was ill implemented, and did a huge disservice to the dealers and those who need cheap solid transportation. ....

It's true and rarely mentioned - it's taken a ton of cheap cars off the road. As usual the poorest get screwed.

Pete

Sandy G
09-03-2009, 08:33 AM
.....An' we want the Gummint to run our health care for us, too ?!? OK...

piece-itpete
09-03-2009, 08:52 AM
.....An' we want the Gummint to run our health care for us, too ?!? OK...

You will be assimilated....

Pete

Sandy G
09-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Ain't it th' truth...."Resistance is Futile..." (grin)

hillbilly
09-03-2009, 03:14 PM
We kept ''all'' our cheap automobiles. Cheap to me is 'as in paid for'. Government'll never tell me they gotta go. Well, they can tell me that tomorrows gas won't work in them ... but I'll still keep 'em for yard ornaments if nuttin' else. :)

Charles
09-03-2009, 03:31 PM
We kept ''all'' our cheap automobiles. Cheap to me is 'as in paid for'. Government'll never tell me they gotta go. Well, they can tell me that tomorrows gas won't work in them ... but I'll still keep 'em for yard ornaments if nuttin' else. :)

The finest vehicle in the world is the one that's paid for.

Chas

devoid
12-27-2009, 01:09 AM
The finest vehicle in the world is the one that's paid for.

Chas

And I'll fluant it again. In December '03 I bought a '86 Volvo GLE wagon with 117kmi on the clock for $1500. 27 on the interstate. I've put about 110,000 on it so far and any new car would have needed at least the little bit I've had to do, breaks and a couple timming belt. And they think I should buy what? They're out of there friggin minds. I'd LOVE to see a new car after five years of me using it.

And what's up with this new EPA MPG? Newer shittier gas I assume?

merrylander
12-27-2009, 06:47 AM
I suspect the EPA mileage numbers represent the effects of ethanol in the gasoline. Unless an engine is designed to burn that crap the MPG numbers go into the toilet. Not to mention that adding ethanol produces more carbon than it saves.