PDA

View Full Version : The ethics of a revolution

d-ray657
10-22-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm not really sure where I come out on this one. Sometimes writing helps me think, so I might know by the end of this post.

The news reports seem to have rebutted the official Libyan announcement of the circumstances causing Ghadaffi's end. Unlike the official account - that he was killed in crossfire - it appears that he was captured hiding in a drainage ditch. He was apparently beaten, and still alive when one of the captors held his bloody face up by his hair. He is quoted as pleading with his captors telling them that they were wrong and that they were violating Muslim law. Shortly thereafter, he had a bullet in the head.

Some have said that the conduct of the rebels amounts to a summary execution in violation of International law. I don't approve of what was done, but it is hard to conjure up any sympathy when a brutal dictator pleads for mercy. He didn't have much moral authority to tell the rebels that what they were doing was wrong. They probably would not have even had the chance to make the suggestion.

Nevertheless, when one puts a bullet through the head of one who is unarmed and restrained it is far from an heroic act. The way the rebels ended Khadaffi's life brought them a bit closer to his character instead of establishing a new way of running the country.

From a purely pragmatic, standpoint, the immediate elimination of the Libyan butcher might have ended up saving some lives. The old establishment forces no longer have a figurehead to fight for. It is quite likely that the immediate demise of Khadaffi will diminish further resistance against the new government. Can the brutal death of a brutal dictator be justified as advancing the common good?

I don't know. :confused:

Regards,

D-Ray

simi
10-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Just a little something to think about... Mr. Laden wasn't armed when he got shot in the head by a US military member.... Neither was his wife that was in the room with him from everything I've read... and she got shot too...

finnbow
10-22-2011, 07:26 PM
I have no issues with it. Italian partisans summarily executed Mussolini and strung him up from a meat hook in Milan. We were good with it at the time. WTF is the difference between us (not engaged in a formal war with Libya, BTW) killing him with a missile and the Libyan rebels killing him? With their lack of a formal government, a trial would have been nothing other than a kangaroo court anyway. No biggie, I say.

Bigerik
10-22-2011, 07:41 PM
One butcher kills another...

Charles
10-23-2011, 12:49 AM
It's bad karma, baby.

I ain't losing no sleep over it.

Besides, killing is the natural order of things. Look at what animals do to one another.

And even if we've eaten from the tree of knowledge, we're animals too. Even we have to kill to survive.

Whether it is a plant, a fish, another animal, or another 6-pak (my favorite form of killing), something has to die in order for us to sustain ourselves.

Chas

PS: The great thing about killing a 6-pak is you shoot it AFTER it's dead.

djv8ga
10-23-2011, 07:07 AM
He knew he would be executed like Sadam and made the decision to go out in a blaze of glory.
Why he wasn't carrying a sub or something instead of just that gold P-35 is odd. :confused:

merrylander
10-23-2011, 08:15 AM
What I am curious about is where was the UN Humanitarian outfit when he was shelling hospitals and generally murdering his people?

d-ray657
10-23-2011, 08:45 AM
What I am curious about is where was the UN Humanitarian outfit when he was shelling hospitals and generally murdering his people?

A defense made on the basis of "the bastard deserved to die" has from time to time been successful.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
10-23-2011, 09:15 AM
He knew he would be executed like Sadam and made the decision to go out in a blaze of glory.
Why he wasn't carrying a sub or something instead of just that gold P-35 is odd. :confused:

One ugly sidearm.

I'd rather have a parkerized finish.

Chas

noonereal
10-23-2011, 09:57 AM
It's bad karma, baby.

I ain't losing no sleep over it.

Besides, killing is the natural order of things. Look at what animals do to one another.

And even if we've eaten from the tree of knowledge, we're animals too. Even we have to kill to survive.

Whether it is a plant, a fish, another animal, or another 6-pak (my favorite form of killing), something has to die in order for us to sustain ourselves.

Chas

PS: The great thing about killing a 6-pak is you shoot it AFTER it's dead.

Bingo!

Makes religion stick out as fools gold doesn't it?

merrylander
10-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Some animals do kill but rarely their own kind, man seems to hhave perfected that art.

Although our ferals kill mice, good from my point of view considering how much damage they did to our cars, they show nothing but love toward their mother. They even tolerate the odd stray that comes around for food. People could learn from them.

Charles
10-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Some animals do kill but rarely their own kind, man seems to hhave perfected that art.

Although our ferals kill mice, good from my point of view considering how much damage they did to our cars, they show nothing but love toward their mother. They even tolerate the odd stray that comes around for food. People could learn from them.

Yeah, but homo sapiens are smarter than the average bear.

We know right from wrong.

Chas

d-ray657
10-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Chas

Although there are times when we try to disprove this concept.

Regards,

D-Ray

djv8ga
10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
One ugly sidearm.

I'd rather have a parkerized finish.

Chas
I would like one just for the bling when out "representing" in my Hood.

Charles
10-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Just wouldn't look right unless you have a diamond imbedded in one of your front teeth.

Chas

djv8ga
10-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Just wouldn't look right unless you have a diamond imbedded in one of your front teeth.

Chas
I have a #3 on my tooth. :D
Speaking of that, Talladega is on! :cool:

finnbow
10-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I have a #3 on my tooth. :D
Speaking of that, Talladega is on! :cool:

I'd rather watch my clothes dryer spin.;)

djv8ga
10-23-2011, 01:09 PM
I'd rather watch my clothes dryer spin.;)
The new cars have ruined the sport.
I guess I'm hoping something will change. :o

merrylander
10-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Chas

We also know shit from shinola but you could not tell it from this group.:D

Charles
10-23-2011, 02:59 PM
We also know shit from shinola but you could not tell it from this group.:D

Does shinola taste like beans too???

Chas

Charles
10-24-2011, 06:41 AM
penis advanatge

Go away, buddy.

The last thing this forum needs are bigger pricks.

Chas

Dondilion
10-24-2011, 07:12 AM
One could argue that this was not done by a professional army and as such discipline was not as tight. What I cannot understand: You have ruled for 42 years and amassed multi million dollars and now it is apparent that the people who are armed and capable do not want you anymore. Why not take the money and go into exile. You are really dumb to allow it to come to this: out of a drain.
At least Baby Doc of Haiti went to France to continue his play boy life.

merrylander
10-24-2011, 07:33 AM
One could argue that this was not done by a professional army and as such discipline was not as tight. What I cannot understand: You have ruled for 42 years and amassed multi million dollars and now it is apparent that the people who are armed and capable do not want you anymore. Why not take the money and go into exile. You are really dumb to allow it to come to this: out of a drain.
At least Baby Doc of Haiti went to France to continue his play boy life.

Because (by his own admission) he was the "King of Kings". By the time you get your mind this decayed your actions bear no resemblance to rationality.

piece-itpete
10-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Stuff like this always brings to mind the hotly disputed Churchill Death Squads in Germany after WW2.

Rings true to me....

I'm fine with those folks killing him. It was probably better than he deserved.

Pete

Dondilion
10-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Stuff like this always brings to mind the hotly disputed Churchill Death Squads in Germany after WW2.

Pete

Although there is some dispute as to its credibility, I was not aware of this.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=139325

merrylander
10-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Although there is some dispute as to its credibility, I was not aware of this.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=139325

Gentlemen, you are aware that the internet is 1% factual 29% conjecture and 70% bullshit.:p

bobabode
01-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Gentlemen, you are aware that the internet is 1% factual 29% conjecture and 70% bullshit.:p

You are too, too kind!:D Even the 1% is suspect and most of the 29% are parrots.

piece-itpete
01-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Can I haz a cracker?

:D

Pete

Big_Bill
01-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Getting back to the topic of this thread, Ethics in a Revolution ?

Anyone that thinks there are Ethics in War or in a very personal Revolution, is deluded.

Attack, Defence and success are the desires and goals of war, and too accomplish this one does everything they can to survive!

Protest for change, rallies and hope are the desires of Revolution, and here also, one does everything they can do to survive !

With War, death of your enemy is your desired end, along with defeating your enemy.

Revolution, change of leadership is your desired end, along with the establishment of of a
new and better government !

However, governments seldom wish to surrender their cushy positions and power, so violence erupts as the government attempts to placate or disband the protesters. When the actions of the army, supporters, etc. becomes excessive, violence escalates, and a civil war ensues. Now you have very angry people that now each other fighting. Ethics are not found in a war ! So the final victory will end in the deaths of the loosing combatants, especially the leaders !

The death and destruction on one side or the other is required to protect against future revolutions. And only death will suffice.

Anyone believing in a peaceful revolution is deluded, and watching the events of the world from their Utopian tower in fantasyland.

The most peaceful revolutions come from the leaders that have seen the writing on the walls, and escaped to Sweden with the countries funds.

War is Hell, and should be ! It should make everyone think twice before starting one :(

Bill

BlueStreak
01-10-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm going to sneak into your home and bust your exclamation point key, if you don't stop shouting at us.:p

Dondilion
01-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Erwin Rommel, the Desert Fox, the Nazi general always treated his prisoners well. :D

BlueStreak
01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
The key point of Democracy is to provide the people with a peaceful means to bring about change in government. It's only when some idiot, who thinks he and/or his party has been granted some sort of divine right to rule with impunity, forever, strips democratic processes from the people that violence becomes necessary.

One man, one vote is the best, albeit imperfect, ideal IMHO.

Dave

Charles
01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Can I haz a cracker?

:D

Pete

Sheeet mofo...you IS a cracker!!!

Chas

Big_Bill
01-10-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm going to sneak into your home and bust your exclamation point key, if you don't stop shouting at us.:p

lol !

Bill

piece-itpete
01-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Sheeet mofo...you IS a cracker!!!

Chas

Yo my nig, why yagotta play a brother like dat?

Pete

bhunter
01-11-2012, 12:15 PM

A nice reflective finish always presents such a nice target. You could even shoot it from its side like the gang bangers depicted in the movies. BTW, I do like presentation type guns, but only for viewing.

Twodogs
01-23-2012, 06:21 PM
I thought it was pretty funny when they were dragging him around by his hair and he was begging for mercy. They should have taken a month to kill that Godless POS.