PDA

View Full Version : Time off worldwide.

piece-itpete
11-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Dave's post about maternity leave got me curious about time off.

Did a little digging...

.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Employees in Finland, Brazil and France are entitled to receive as many as 30 days’ statutory holiday a year, with those in Lithuania, Russia and the UK being entitled to 28 days. Poland (26) follows closely behind, with employees in Greece, Austria, Denmark, Sweden and Norway entitled to 25 days’ statutory holiday.

By comparison, Asia-Pacific countries fare poorly with Australian, New Zealand and Japanese employees receiving the highest levels of statutory holidays (20) followed by Taiwan (15), Hong Kong and Singapore (14), India (12) and China (10).

Employees in Canada are amongst those with the lowest entitlement with only 10 days and while there is no statutory minimum in the US, employees typically receive 15 days a year.

In addition to statutory holidays, public holidays can markedly increase the amount of time employees have off work. Japan and India top the global list with 16 days’ public holiday a year, closely followed by Cyprus, Slovakia and South Korea with 15. Malta and Spain both have 14 while Portugal, Austria, Lithuania, Slovenia and Taiwan all have 13 days’ public holiday. The UK, Australia and the Netherlands have the lowest number of public holidays (8) followed by Denmark, Ireland, Switzerland, Canada and Romania (9).

According to Matthew Hunt, a principal in Mercer’s International team who advises multinationals on their employment practices, “There are wide variations in the local implementation of employment practices governing public holidays. Employers are often within their rights to ask employees to work on public holidays, or require that they be taken as part of their annual leave entitlements. For example, while it appears that employees in the UK have more total holidays than those in Malta, company contracts can create a different picture. While the UK statutory minimum is 28 days, companies are allowed to include the 8 public holidays as part of this entitlement, so some employees may only be given 20 days holiday a year and Maltese employees may, in fact, have a better deal.”

Assuming they receive the maximum statutory holidays in addition to public holidays, employees in Brazil and Lithuania would have the world’s most generous holiday regime with a potential 41days off a year, while those in Finland, France and Russia could receive a total of 40 days. In contrast, Canadian employees receive only 19 days, Chinese employees 21, and those in the US and Singapore both 25.

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/1360620

.-.-.-.-.-.

The chart is interesting. I do notice that it only deals in statutory days off outside the US, I'd prefer to see averages....

Pete

finnbow
11-04-2011, 10:24 AM
In Germany, they get 20 days of vacation time (4 weeks) and 10 national holidays, no matter if you're a janitor or a CEO. It doesn't seem to effect productivity or competitiveness.

piece-itpete
11-04-2011, 10:30 AM
You mean, you can't get more time off than mandated?

Pete

piece-itpete
11-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Whoops, I think I misunderstood your post finn, my apologies.

When are you guys geting me more time off? That I can get behind :D

Pete

merrylander
11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
At Bell I was getting 6 weeks vacation every year after 25 years. They let me bank some of it so that when I retired I had four months in the bank at full pay before my pension began.

Charles
11-04-2011, 02:56 PM
At Bell I was getting 6 weeks vacation every year after 25 years. They let me bank some of it so that when I retired I had four months in the bank at full pay before my pension began.

I worked at the joint for 20 months and they owed me three months full salary plus one month of sick leave, which they screwed me out of.

And it was worth it to get out of that shithole.

Chas

Charles
11-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Whoops, I think I misunderstood your post finn, my apologies.

When are you guys geting me more time off? That I can get behind :D

Pete

Shaddup and go to work. The government's tits are running dry.

Chas

JJIII
11-04-2011, 04:34 PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about Daylight Savings Time!:(

d-ray657
11-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about Daylight Savings Time!:(

Is this the weekend in which we get an extra hour?

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Is this the weekend in which we get an extra hour?

Regards,

D-Ray

Nah, ya just get back the one they screwed ya out of in the first place.

Better check and make sure it ain't but 50 minutes.

Chas

d-ray657
11-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Nah, ya just get back the one they screwed ya out of in the first place.

Better check and make sure it ain't but 50 minutes.

Chas

Now you're talking about billable hours. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
11-05-2011, 08:03 AM
I will still be getting up at 5:00 AM like I have been all year no matter what they call it.

Oerets
11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
With all the automation in the workforce, people living longer along an ever growing population jobs are sinking. This is a problem that will need to be addressed some time or another.

While looking at a piece of equipment being install that was one of the first automated machines at a Ford auto plant.I think it was Hoffa and Ford that were talking one time and Ford stated, "How are you going to get it to join the union?" Hoffa replied "right after you figure out how to get it to buy your cars!"

So I'm all for more time off and shorter work hours if it would mean full employment.

The company I retired from let you bank up to 150 days of sick time (15 years of no sick time @ 10 days a year) you could use towards retirement, added to the six weeks of vacation you could get after 15 years.

Barney

d-ray657
11-05-2011, 06:58 PM
With all the automation in the workforce, people living longer along an ever growing population jobs are sinking. This is a problem that will need to be addressed some time or another.

While looking at a piece of equipment being install that was one of the first automated machines at a Ford auto plant.I think it was Hoffa and Ford that were talking one time and Ford stated, "How are you going to get it to join the union?" Hoffa replied "right after you figure out how to get it to buy your cars!"

So I'm all for more time off and shorter work hours if it would mean full employment.

The company I retired from let you bank up to 150 days of sick time (15 years of no sick time @ 10 days a year) you could use towards retirement, added to the six weeks of vacation you could get after 15 years.

Barney

That wouldn't work in a lot of jobs, but it would in a lot. However, I don't think WalMart is doing it to promote full employment. :mad:

Regards,

D-Ray

Oerets
11-05-2011, 07:57 PM
The actual quote now I believe was Walter Reuther UAW president talking to Henry Ford II and was "well how are you going to to get them to pay UAW dues?"

To the answer of "Henry how are you going to get them to buy your cars?"

Think I got it right this time had to try and remember were i heard it....

http://www.wbur.org/media-player?url=http://onpoint.wbur.org/2011/11/02/when-machines-do-the-work&title=When+Machines+Do+The+Work&pubdate=2011-11-02&segment=1&source=onpoint

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2011/11/02/when-machines-do-the-work

Barney

djv8ga
11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Go away Lefty! :mad: