PDA

View Full Version : Worse President of our lifetime, poll

noonereal
09-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Going back to the 60's.

Who do you think?

Charles
09-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Had to go with Carter, myself. Books ain't closed on Obama yet.

Chas

stereocuuple
09-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Had to go with Carter, myself. Books ain't closed on Obama yet.

Chas

im with you but ol LBJ was much worse. i think carter was a victum of fords term

spasmo55
09-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Sorry to see you learned some of your politics at Woodstock.
I'm sure all the folks there head a clear head at the time.

Feel how you will, I would give my left testicle (as I not using it anyway) to have a guy like Reagan in that fine white house right now.

Hope I didn't offend the ladys, just and old saying from my Airborne days.

noonereal
09-04-2009, 02:06 PM
early results are a little surprising, I figured this would be a two way race between Bush Jr and Carter with Clinton a distant 3rd.

I hope we get allot of participation it should be interesting.

Charles
09-04-2009, 02:11 PM
im with you but ol LBJ was much worse. i think carter was a victum of fords term

LBJ was a piece of work, no doubt, probably should have picked him. To be fair to Carter, he was just standing there with a dumb look on his face and got hit from all sides...not much he could do about it.

Which reminds me of another lowbrow joke:

What did Hamilton Jordan and Roslyn Carter have in common?

Chas

noonereal
09-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Feel how you will, I would give my left testicle (as I not using it anyway) to have a guy like Reagan in that fine white house right now.

I was a Ronnie fan and I liked that he was called Ray-Gun.
Just as a point of reference Woodstock was in 69, Ronnie was elected in 80.
I am not sure what you think I feel but as much as I like Ronnie he is not the man for 2009 but he was good for the 80's. Just an FYI, I don't think we need to know about your busted ball. ;)

Charles
09-04-2009, 02:23 PM

Reckon you Airborne guys don't need to use but ONE testicle at a time.

But I'm a bit confused. Someone learned something at Woodstock?

Chas

merrylander
09-04-2009, 02:46 PM
At least when Clinton was in the budget balanced, employment was at an all time high and there was a surplus, oh yeah my 401k was actually worth summat as well.

spasmo55
09-04-2009, 02:53 PM
My reference to Woodstock, had to do w/ a reference by I think Joan Baez to Ronnie as Ronald Ray-Gun, as he was Govenor of California at the time. I cannot recall for sure as it has been some time since I listened to the album.

Thanks for all your concern, the only thing broken on me currently is my right ankle.

Chas - If you ever wore a T-10 harness, you would feel blessed that either one worked afterward.

stereocuuple
09-04-2009, 03:02 PM
carter ? Jimmy Carter ?? really you guys are kidding?

Charles
09-04-2009, 03:15 PM
My reference to Woodstock, had to do w/ a reference by I think Joan Baez to Ronnie as Ronald Ray-Gun, as he was Govenor of California at the time. I cannot recall for sure as it has been some time since I listened to the album.

Thanks for all your concern, the only thing broken on me currently is my right ankle.

Chas - If you ever wore a T-10 harness, you would feel blessed that either one worked afterward.

Never wore one, but I don't doubt your word.

Had an old buddy who was Airborne, wouldn't go so far as to call him a wild man, but he damn well did as he pleased.

Gotta go,

Chas

Grumpy
09-04-2009, 04:20 PM
At least when Clinton was in the budget balanced, employment was at an all time high and there was a surplus, oh yeah my 401k was actually worth summat as well.

Thats cause the guy only looked after the immediate future and himself. You were lucky enough to be dragged on his coat tails.

I am pointing my fingers, yes all of them at him for The middle east, derivatives
and the me, instant gratification culture that encompasses our nation now.

Sure the guy could talk himself out of fort knox wearing a mask after being caught but that only proves he was a greased pig. And an exceptionally slimmy one at that !

soundhound
09-04-2009, 04:25 PM
i voted for bush jr. i think he will go down in history as the worst american president of all time. i would still like to see him tried for war crimes.

OvenMaster
09-04-2009, 08:49 PM
At the present moment, I'll pick Shrub.... but I really gotta give BHO an "A" for effort to steal the crown!

Charles
09-04-2009, 09:34 PM
At the present moment, I'll pick Shrub.... but I really gotta give BHO an "A" for effort to steal the crown!

Lay offa Shrub.

IMHO, he did the best he could with what he had.

Do any of you Monday Morning Quarterbacks think that you could have done any better?

For good, or bad, he stepped up to the plate. What in the hell more can you expect from anyone?

Chas

Charles
09-04-2009, 09:43 PM
i voted for bush jr. i think he will go down in history as the worst american president of all time. i would still like to see him tried for war crimes.

Have another toke, Buddy. Ain't gonna happen.

Do you really want to see blood running in the streets?

Chas

soundhound
09-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Have another toke, Buddy. Ain't gonna happen.

Do you really want to see blood running in the streets?

Chas

had to give up toking. too many conservative right-wingers passing laws to legislate my morality.

ain't gonna happen? i'm sure you're right, but i can dream.

blood running in the streets? WTF?

Sandy G
09-04-2009, 10:17 PM
What the hell has gotten into this country, anyways? One President goes outta office & the other side wants to hang him...Happened w/Clinton, & now Bush...Guess they'll be howlin' for Jug Ears, too, when he vacates the premises...

OvenMaster
09-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Lay offa Shrub.

Do any of you Monday Morning Quarterbacks think that you could have done any better?

For good, or bad, he stepped up to the plate. What in the hell more can you expect from anyone?

Chas
My signature says it all. George W. Bush used our constitution as toilet paper. Patriot Act and its consequences and ramifications, anyone? How about equating dissent with being unpatriotic? (Obama learned and implemented that one early) A foreign policy of "You're either with us or against us"? Lack of meaningful response to Hurricane Katrina? NSA surveillance without warrants? Let's not forget the totally unnecessary war in Iraq. And to finish things off, an unhealthy reliance on SOBs like Dick Cheney and Karl Rove.

Do I think I could have done better? Damn straight. A grade-schooler could have done better. "Is our children learning?"

For bad, he stepped up to the plate and struck out.

What could I expect from a president? Integrity. Truth. Intelligence. Curiosity. Those would be good for a start. I saw no evidence of those qualities in eight years.

George W. Bush was a national embarrassment. I am absolutely ashamed that this joker got to call himself "President" and represented our once-great country as its "leader". If I had my way, Bush, Cheney, and Rove would be in prison cells for the rest of their days.

In fact, I blame Shrub for Obama being in the White House today! Yes! If Bush had not royally screwed things up as badly as he did, the Republicans would have had at least a half a chance to win the presidency in 2008. Thanks to him, people were so turned off by Republicans of any ilk that it would not have mattered who they put up against Obama.

noonereal
09-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Lay offa Shrub.

Yes I really do. I believe you as well would have.

The only shortcoming I (and I am guessing You) would have is not be raised with all the contacts baby Bush was. As for actually governing, setting an agenda dealing with tough isues... I believe a great many Americans could have done much, much better.
Just my opinion but I absolutely believe it.

I got to run but I will finish this post latter.

Grumpy
09-05-2009, 08:41 AM
I am torn. There's so many good choices to this answer.

spasmo55
09-05-2009, 09:13 AM
had to give up toking. too many conservative right-wingers passing laws to legislate my morality.

Perhaps you should look into the USMJ Party. With medical cannabis studies going and even my state bringing about the debate, (though the current bobble heads in Des Moines are in the pockets of the Pharm Boys)(Easy Red, different type of Pharmers) that the issue will go nowhere fast.

They are a small but dedicated group, from right here in the heartland.

Just a thought

Grumpy
09-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I was surprised Michigan passed the medical marry jane law with all the pharma stuff we have here. You may be pleasantly surprised too.

spasmo55
09-05-2009, 09:40 AM
The man was handed something no other pres ever had to deal with. There was no playbook to follow. 9/11 was our 25th wedding anniversary which makes it rough to feel happy on that day each year.

At least with Pearl Harbor FDR had a fixed enemy with battle lines drawn, and a nation of citizens that did more than watch war on TV.

Seen George the night he was elected, he stayed in the hotel I worked at in Orlando. Okay, here come the comments about the Supreme Clowns giving him the office. Well I can punch the chad allllll the way out, why can't you.

If you do a little research into the Supervisor of elections in that fine part of South Florida, you'll find she lost her job from bullsh*t, in subsequent elections. hhhmmmm.

Funny, the Dems didn't run the bus to the polls by my house that day, WTF. Oh, I was registered Republican at the time, guess they figured I could get to the polls on my own.

I don't condone some of the sh*t he and his buddies have pulled, but quit telling me about the war in Iraq, because your crys to go save Darfur are still ringing in my ears. I guess Saddam wasn't a big enough despot, and didn't kill enough of his own citizens to qualify for removal, the Kurds may disagree.

IMHO, a despot IS a WMD.

soundhound
09-05-2009, 10:50 AM
The man was handed something no other pres ever had to deal with. There was no playbook to follow. 9/11 was our 25th wedding anniversary which makes it rough to feel happy on that day each year.

iraq was not responsible for 9-11 in case you haven't heard. saddam was a tyrant, but there are many of those. why aren't we toppling their regimes as well?

fact is, bush lied about weapons of mass destruction, and about iraq's connection to terrorism, and used 9-11 as an excuse to finish the job his father started. all about the oil my friend. all else is whitewash.

then he trampled on our civil liberties under the guise of national security, botched the war effort, tortured prisoners with complete disregard of the geneva convention, and added fuel to the fires of those who ARE actually responsible for 9-11. not to mention that he drove our economy into the ground.

oh yeah, there's no doubt in MY mind that he stole the election. for the love of america, his brother was the governer of the state that decided the election. HELLO......

and let us not forget the somewhat less than stellar handling of katrina...

Charles
09-05-2009, 11:27 AM
iraq was not responsible for 9-11 in case you haven't heard. saddam was a tyrant, but there are many of those. why aren't we toppling their regimes as well?

fact is, bush lied about weapons of mass destruction, and about iraq's connection to terrorism, and used 9-11 as an excuse to finish the job his father started. all about the oil my friend. all else is whitewash.

then he trampled on our civil liberties under the guise of national security, botched the war effort, tortured prisoners with complete disregard of the geneva convention, and added fuel to the fires of those who ARE actually responsible for 9-11. not to mention that he drove our economy into the ground.

oh yeah, there's no doubt in MY mind that he stole the election. for the love of america, his brother was the governer of the state that decided the election. HELLO......

Well, I'm in agreement with you on one thing, it is about the oil.

If it wasn't for the oil, the Arabs would still be riding around on camels and shooting at one another with muzzle loading shotguns. They wouldn't have the time, money, or inclination to be over here causing trouble.

Chas

Charles
09-05-2009, 11:40 AM

ain't gonna happen? i'm sure you're right, but i can dream.

blood running in the streets? WTF?

I've found the perfect candidate for you.

Chas

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2008-01-30/news/libertarian-s-don-t-wana-dubie/

soundhound
09-05-2009, 11:54 AM
I've found the perfect candidate for you.

Chas

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2008-01-30/news/libertarian-s-don-t-wana-dubie/

:eek:...............

Twodogs
09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I definitely slept better when Bush was running the show. I wonder how Obama would have handled 911? I guess he would have sat down and had a beer with the Taliban leaders. I'm still waiting for Bidens prophecy of the "test" to come around.

spasmo55
09-05-2009, 12:11 PM
iraq was not responsible for 9-11 in case you haven't heard. saddam was a tyrant, but there are many of those. why aren't we toppling their regimes as well?...

Very good question, and may I add "What the hell is the rest of the "Free" world doing about it"?

fact is, bush lied about weapons of mass destruction, and about iraq's connection to terrorism, and used 9-11 as an excuse to finish the job his father started. all about the oil my friend. all else is whitewash....

The thing that confuses me here is the amount of oil under our own soil, and if as you say he trampled our liberties, could he have just as easily trampled the envionmentalists that fight any attempt to drill for it? Just a thought.

then he trampled on our civil liberties under the guise of national security, botched the war effort, tortured prisoners with complete disregard of the geneva convention, and added fuel to the fires of those who ARE actually responsible for 9-11. not to mention that he drove our economy into the ground....

I'm sorry, but once I witnessed a video of an American civilian having his head cut off, or bodies of Americans burned and hung from a bridge, I have complete disregard for any convention, I just can't get passed that!

oh yeah, there's no doubt in MY mind that he stole the election. for the love of america, his brother was the governer of the state that decided the election. HELLO.........

I am well aware that Jeb was governor, I voted for him. Perhaps the real problem here is the Electoral College process, and The Supreme Clowns, yes?
The way it was handled and scrutinized by the press, I see no way Jeb could have influenced the outcome, perhaps you are aware of something I am not.

I see that you live in Ol Miss, but I am somewhat familiar with hurricanes myself, Erin, Opal, Andrew, Charley, Frances, Jeanne to name a few I had the displeasure to meet face to face. And an F3 Tornado in Feb 98 that ripped right through our county, county hell 1/4 mile north of my house. With that said, the handling of katrina was a failure starting with the citizens themselves, then the Municipal, State and Federal levels, but all I ever hear is how the Feds failed, frankly that is bullsh*t IMHO.

spasmo55
09-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Having mentioned some experiance with storms in a prior post, just thought I would share some photos of a FEMA funded burn I worked at after Charley, through Frances and then Jeanne. This is just one (the smallest) site for our county, the other two had to grind because of the proximity to towns.

This fire was just the trees lost, I did not take photos of the building materials that were eventualy piled here for movement to the landfill. This debris used up 5 years of landfill space, just from Charley.

The contractors hauled from daylight to dark, 7 days a week for 3 months and we never put the fire out, even through Frances and Jeanne. We did not stop operating until the frontal wall of Frances and Jeanne were 12 hours out, Breeeeeeezy it was.

Yes, FEMA was there everyday, along with OSHA and any other Gov't agency that could think up a reason to be there. You could not get a rental car in the Orlando area, for heavens sake. Fortunately, I was a county employee, and could respectfully tell them they had no sway over me.

Charles
09-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I can't believe that people are still blaming Shrub for Katrina...everyone knows that this was the work of Karl Rove and his hurricane machine.

A few years ago Cancun was hit by a massive hurricane. And the locals, with a LITTLE help from their government went out, fixed things up, and were back in business PDQ.

Of course, the Mexicans had enough sense not to build Cancun where it was below sea level, and they didn't have Ray Nagin for their mayor.

Besides, everyone had known for years that New Orleans was going to be in big trouble if a giant hurricane hit. And this is Bush's fault?

Chas

noonereal
09-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I definitely slept better when Bush was running the show. I wonder how Obama would have handled 911? I guess he would have sat down and had a beer with the Taliban leaders. I'm still waiting for Bidens prophecy of the "test" to come around.

I despised Clinton but on 911 I turned to my significant other and said, "I wish Clinton were President now."

And that was before they showed Bush sitting like a fool with the kids after he had been told we are at war.

Charles
09-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I despised Clinton but on 911 I turned to my significant other and said, "I wish Clinton were President now."

And that was before they showed Bush sitting like a fool with the kids after he had been told we are at war.

I thought he handled himself well, what was he supposed to do?

And when I heard about 9-11, I thought to myself,"Thank God Clinton's not president."

But you already knew that, didn't you.

Chas

noonereal
09-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Very good question, and may I add "What the hell is the rest of the "Free" world doing about it"?

So you never wondered why we had a problem Saddam and and no other ruthless dictator?

I'm sorry, but once I witnessed a video of an American civilian having his head cut off, or bodies of Americans burned and hung from a bridge, I have complete disregard for any convention, I just can't get passed that!

Interesting. Aren't you a strict constitutionalist?
Seems to me if one is then they would only be consistent if they also honored any agreements we enter into.

I am well aware that Jeb was governor, I voted for him. Perhaps the real problem here is the Electoral College process, and The Supreme Clowns, yes?
The way it was handled and scrutinized by the press, I see no way Jeb could have influenced the outcome, perhaps you are aware of something I am not.

I remember this so clearly. Bush boy was being interview on TV when Gore was projected to win. He ended the interview immediately saying that that was wrong. Again I turned to my significant other and said half in shock, "this election is fixed." It was very obvious.
It will all come out when enough time has passed.

the handling of katrina was a failure starting with the citizens themselves, then the Municipal, State and Federal levels, but all I ever hear is how the Feds failed, frankly that is bullsh*t IMHO.

I agree with you about all the failure but Bush plain and simple did not "get it" or give a shit.

noonereal
09-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I thought he handled himself well, what was he supposed to do?

And when I heard about 9-11, I thought to myself,"Thank God Clinton's not president."

But you already knew that, didn't you.

Chas

No I did not know that. You are very cerebral and not just a blind party follower. It would not have surprised me if you had agreed with me and it does not surprise me that you don't. I guess that is what makes us unique, two people can process the same info and come up with different answers.

As to what Bush should have done, let me say this.
On 911 I was watching a fire on the top floors of the World Trade Center. After about 15 minutes or so I saw a very low flying plane hit the other tower. I immediately knew (as everyone did) that we were under attack. So I ran to my kids school and got her out. When I was leaving still no one else had gotten to the school to get there kids. I got my medications and was in the car and on my way to the countryside before any bridges on roads were closed. Point is I knew exactly what needed to be done quickly to best protect my child and self.
Then (I don't recall when, at night, the next day whatever) I see the President being told that we are at war. He was not even told that a second plane had hit, they knew better than to let him figure that out on his own and he sat there. And sat there. And sat there.
He should know what to do for the country just like I did know what to do for my family.
There is no excuse on the planet for his lack of immediate response except that he was not qualified to be president that day.

HE WAS SUPPOSED TO GET UP IMMEDIATELY AND ENGAGE.

spasmo55
09-05-2009, 02:29 PM
[/QUOTE]Interesting. Aren't you a strict constitutionalist?
Seems to me if one is then they would only be consistent if they also honored any agreements we enter into.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, I guess this is just my emotions overriding my intellect.

With that said, I think that a case could be made reference Article 4(A)2(d).
I cannot understand local ordinances, let along international law, but the gov't and lawyers like it that way.

noonereal
09-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I think that a case could be made reference Article 4(A)2(d).

Damn. You smart folks give me a headache. :D

Charles
09-05-2009, 03:15 PM
No I did not know that. You are very cerebral and not just a blind party follower. It would not have surprised me if you had agreed with me and it does not surprise me that you don't. I guess that is what makes us unique, two people can process the same info and come up with different answers.

As to what Bush should have done, let me say this.
On 911 I was watching a fire on the top floors of the World Trade Center. After about 15 minutes or so I saw a very low flying plane hit the other tower. I immediately knew (as everyone did) that we were under attack. So I ran to my kids school and got her out. When I was leaving still no one else had gotten to the school to get there kids. I got my medications and was in the car and on my way to the countryside before any bridges on roads were closed. Point is I knew exactly what needed to be done quickly to best protect my child and self.
Then (I don't recall when, at night, the next day whatever) I see the President being told that we are at war. He was not even told that a second plane had hit, they knew better than to let him figure that out on his own and he sat there. And sat there. And sat there.
He should know what to do for the country just like I did know what to do for my family.
There is no excuse on the plant for his lack of immediate response except that he was not qualified to be president that day.

HE WAS SUPPOSED TO GET UP IMMEDIATELY AND ENGAGE.

You knew what to do, and did it because you could.

Shrub was already engaged, whether he was sitting there with a bunch of kids, or not. The military and every alphabet agency was working overtime at that point, there was nothing more he could do until he was briefed. And I don't think that anyone really had anything at the time to brief him on.

He stayed calm and kept his mug shut, which, IMHO, was the appropriate thing to do at the time.

Chas

noonereal
09-05-2009, 03:29 PM
He stayed calm

Chas

:confused:

Look at his face after he was told. He did not stay calm, he was confused and scared. Took him 7 minutes to make a move.:eek:

We are definitely gonna need to agree to disagree on his one.:cool:

JJIII
09-05-2009, 04:00 PM
"We are defiantly gonna need to agree to disagree on his one."

?Is that what you mean, or is that what you spelled?

noonereal
09-05-2009, 04:18 PM
"We are defiantly gonna need to agree to disagree on his one."

?Is that what you mean, or is that what you spelled?

"definitely" it should have been

JJIII
09-05-2009, 04:31 PM
OK, although the other was funnier. :D

soundhound
09-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I see that you live in Ol Miss, but I am somewhat familiar with hurricanes myself, Erin, Opal, Andrew, Charley, Frances, Jeanne to name a few I had the displeasure to meet face to face. And an F3 Tornado in Feb 98 that ripped right through our county, county hell 1/4 mile north of my house. With that said, the handling of katrina was a failure starting with the citizens themselves, then the Municipal, State and Federal levels, but all I ever hear is how the Feds failed, frankly that is bullsh*t IMHO.

i rode out erin and opal in niceville, florida (villa taso actually). the devastation was nothing in comparison to katrina.

undeniably, it was not a great idea to build a city below sea level. it was also a mistake not to upgrade the city's defenses prior to the storm.

and there is no denying that failure was widespread and began at the local level. and the behavior of some of the residents of new orleans in the aftermath of the storm made me sick to my stomach.

however, if the president of the united states can't mobilize the national guard and/or other government agencies, and organize a rescue of stranded civilians one hell of a lot faster than was done, he is incompetant.

and bush was.

Charles
09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
i rode out erin and opal in niceville, florida (villa taso actually). the devastation was nothing in comparison to katrina.

undeniably, it was not a great idea to build a city below sea level. it was also a mistake not to upgrade the city's defenses prior to the storm.

and there is no denying that failure was widespread and began at the local level. and the behavior of some of the residents of new orleans in the aftermath of the storm made me sick to my stomach.

however, if the president of the united states can't mobilize the national guard and/or other government agencies, and organize a rescue of stranded civilians one hell of a lot faster than was done, he is incompetant.

and bush was.

Still don't know why everyone is pissed at Bush...Chaney was runnin' things.

But just to keep peace in the family, I'll say it. Bush is a dumb SOB. Don't mean it, but I said it.

Now does that make me, you, and Noon blood brothers or something?

Chas

spasmo55
09-06-2009, 11:45 AM

and bush was.

Not to dispute your point, but to share some knowledge with you. In order for the feds to move in it must be requested by the state (Governor). That goes for any fed relief.

If what I read can be trusted, that took 2 days?

If the Pres were to mobilize the National Guard, that in effect declares Martial Law, making the Federal Gov't responsible for ALL services, Police, Fire, Post Office (yes soldiers must take over the mail), Transportation, Medical. You as citizens also lose some rights in this process as military laws replace the laws of the state. Basically the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of the state are taken out of the authority loop, and the senior military person on the ground is the Boss.

This also means your local police, and state troopers are no longer law enforcement, MP's take over this function.

I doubt if the folks in LA or the nation would have liked that option. I doubt the resources were in place in LA to handle this, so the pres would have to mobilize National Guard from other states or bring in the Active military, neither paints a pretty picture for Americans may love their military but would not under martial law.

If you may recall from Andrew, the federal troops were being assaulted and releaved of their weapons, by armed drug dealers, because they knew the Fed Troops had no ammunition. Members of the FLARNG were locked and loaded, and were being attached to the feds to help stop this.

The above is not my opinion, as I served 56 days in the Miami-Dade area as a member of the FLARNG, and whenever I left the "Compound", I was armed and locked & loaded.

I will concede that Andrew was not as bad as Katrina, but up to Katrina it was the worst, and it was were the playbook received its' last major modifications.

They never Federalized Andrew, perhaps they should have w/Katrina, but hindsight makes it lot easier to determine what should have been done.

soundhound
09-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Now does that make me, you, and Noon blood brothers or something?

Chas

not without the secret handshake.:p

soundhound
09-06-2009, 12:11 PM
I doubt if the folks in LA or the nation would have liked that option.

i doubt that the citizens of NO who were clinging to their roofs, dying of dehydration, and floating in their own excrement would have much given a shit about their rights.

Charles
09-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Not to dispute your point, but to share some knowledge with you. In order for the feds to move in it must be requested by the state (Governor). That goes for any fed relief.

If the Pres were to mobilize the National Guard, that in effect declares Martial Law, making the Federal Gov't responsible for ALL services, Police, Fire, Post Office (yes soldiers must take over the mail), Transportation, Medical. You as citizens also lose some rights in this process as military laws replace the laws of the state. Basically the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of the state are taken out of the authority loop, and the senior military person on the ground is the Boss.

This also means your local police, and state troopers are no longer law enforcement, MP's take over this function.

I doubt if the folks in LA or the nation would have liked that option. I doubt the resources were in place in LA to handle this, so the pres would have to mobilize National Guard from other states or bring in the Active military, neither paints a pretty picture for Americans may love their military but would not under martial law.

If you may recall from Andrew, the federal troops were being assaulted and releaved of their weapons, by armed drug dealers, because they knew the Fed Troops had no ammunition. Members of the FLARNG were locked and loaded, and were being attached to the feds to help stop this.

The above is not my opinion, as I served 56 days in the Miami-Dade area as a member of the FLARNG, and whenever I left the "Compound", I was armed and locked & loaded.

I will concede that Andrew was not as bad as Katrina, but up to Katrina it was the worst, and it was were the playbook received its' last major modifications.

They never Federalized Andrew, perhaps they should have w/Katrina, but hindsight makes it lot easier to determine what should have been done.

There you go again, interjecting logic into an emotional issue.

Always has to be at least one troublemaker in the crowd.

Chas

noonereal
09-06-2009, 12:47 PM

That there is a right well thought out excuse. ;)

soundhound
09-06-2009, 12:58 PM
That there is a right well thought out excuse. ;)

there. i fixed it for you.

OvenMaster
09-06-2009, 08:03 PM
But just to keep peace in the family, I'll say it. Bush is a dumb SOB. Don't mean it, but I said it.
:mad: Why cave? I would rather you be honest with your opinion.
So some of us don't agree on all issues or opinions. BFD. We're all adults here. That's why they're called "opinions".

Charles
09-07-2009, 08:40 AM
:mad: Why cave? I would rather you be honest with your opinion.
So some of us don't agree on all issues or opinions. BFD. We're all adults here. That's why they're called "opinions".

I was being a wise ass.

Chas

Sandy G
09-07-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't have a helluva lot of sympathy for the Katrina "victims"...We knew for at least a week the damthing was comin', you turned on ANY TV, all you could see was this huge red-ass blob heading straight for Nawlins, that's all they talked about, either hunt you a dry hole, or get the F!$% out...This ain't rocket science. I think even if I was poor, I could have found SOMEBODY to take me somewheres else-Did ALL those people not either have family or friends elsewhere they could have stayed with ? OK, the authorities DID kinda look like Ned in the 1st grade primer, & then played "Who shot John ?" afterwards...But YOU are ultimately responsible for YOUR own backside...If you are waiting on the Gummint-at whichever level-to rescue yr butt, you are likely gonna end up disappointed...Or dead. And THINK....New Orleans typically gets clobbered once every 25 years or so, at least...This WILL happen again. That in itself would give me serious pause to want to settle down permanent-like there. Another thing...The whole friggin' place is built BELOW SEA LEVEL....Hello ! You're livin' in a place that 1) gets hit by a hurricane at least once every generation, & 2) Its all below sea level. That means "Normally under Water"...Don't come Pissin' & Moanin' when you get to know yr rooftop up close & personal...'Cause odds are, you WILL...

Charles
09-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Nothin' like givin' a bunch of Gubbmitt money to a bunch of idiots.

Case in point. We have a little town about 30 miles away that the Missouri River flooded twice back in the 90's. The government came in, gave everyone a bunch of money to repair their houses, and this is a sight to behold.

One cretin I know jacked his house up and built a foundation under it to keep it from flooding. After 15 yrs, he still gains entry by climbing up an extension ladder and over the railing onto his porch. And his house was worth maybe 10K BEFORE it was flooded twice.

The best one is the cretin who took his tar paper shack that had ZERO value, installed 8 20' high by app 24" concrete piers with a steel framework on the top, and set his shack on top of it. Now he can't even work on his shack without a snorklelift, so he hasn't turned a tap since. Besides, the piers are set on sand, what do you think's gonna happen the next time the river floods?

The government should have said, "Here's your money. You can do with it what you want, you can build what you want...but you ain't doin' it here in a flood plain."

Used to be a cute little town, but the river truly does hold the 1st mortgage, and it cashed it in. Now it's just a pitiful sight, and a complete waste of good money.

Chas

merrylander
09-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Never understood folks who do that. Our place is 70 feet above the 100 year flood mark.

noonereal
09-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Our place is under the 100 year flood level so I am forced to buy flood insurance.

Thing is I have had family in this area over 150 years and there has never been a flood. If fact before the ditches were dung (around 150 years ago) the entire area was swamp and all the houses in the area are built on what had been islands!
Bottom line is that I am forced to subsidize insurance rates for folks who build on the ocean and next to flood prone rivers.

Grumpy
09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Bottom line is that I am forced to subsidize insurance rates for folks who build on the ocean and next to flood prone rivers.

We all are...

spasmo55
09-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Our place is under the 100 year flood level so I am forced to buy flood insurance.

Well, in 2008 we exceeded the 500 yr flood level, so you may be glad someday. Interesting how many folks here claimed they weren't insured, WTF.

You may have heard of the town of Oakville, IA during the coverage last year, it was our local "Poster Child" community, wiped out by the flood. I feel for these people to an extent, I guess because my sister-inlaws' family got washed out, parents, siblings the "Homeplace" as it is known around here. Tough on folks, they have since bought elsewhere, well out of the floodplain.

But the town is rebuilding eventhough 2 levies in the area have been de-certified by the Corp of Engineers and will not be repaired. Hard to feel sorry for such people. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Of course the cities of Cedar Rapids and Iowa City are rebuilding, so what do you expect from the common folks?

Mother Nature can be a cruel mistress!! Pass the sandbags please.