PDA

View Full Version : Heaven help us all if he is right

Grumpy
09-06-2009, 07:08 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204313604574328792152010638.html

A central belief in Washington and most state capitals nowadays is that government should "invest" in certain businesses—"clean tech," say, or manufacturing—to drive job creation. We hope it all turns out better than it has in Michigan.

For the past 14 years, Lansing politicians have offered $3.3 billion in tax credits through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation and spent another $1.6 billion in outlays to create and retain jobs. The subsidies have ranged from tax breaks for Hollywood, to money for new industrial plants, to millions for TV ads starring Jeff Daniels and Tim Allen talking about business and tourism in the state.

It's one of the largest experiments in smokestack chasing in American history, but one thing it hasn't done is create jobs. An exhaustive new 100-page study by the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a Michigan think tank, has reviewed where all the money has gone and what came of it. The study finds that for every 100 jobs that were promised with these tax credits over 14 years, only 29 arrived. Dare we call this cash for clunkers?

Economist Michael Hicks, a business school professor at Ball State, calculated the rate of return on the corporate tax credits. He found that for every $1 million in tax credits awarded, there were 95 lost manufacturing jobs in the counties where the companies were located—a result that is "strongly statistically significant." There was no gain in personal income in these counties. Perhaps more jobs would have been lost without the credits, but what is undeniably clear is that the businesses that got the government loot were not magnets for other employers.

Many of these handout programs were started in 1995 by former Republican Governor John Engler, who we criticized at the time in "A Governor's Gimmick." They have since been expanded 18 times under current Governor Jennifer Granholm. Two of the most celebrated initiatives were the Michigan 21st Century Jobs Fund and the Broadband Development Authority. Ms. Granholm's vision was that these grants and credits would create 500,000 jobs and $440 billion in new investment by 2010.

Liberals cheered this "progressive" alternative to tax cutting. But the jobs lured to Michigan were so few that the programs were killed in 2007. The broadband program's legacy was $14.5 million of bad loans eaten by taxpayers. Then State Senate Majority Leader Ken Sikkema, an original supporter of the telecom program, called it "one of the biggest flops in state government."

An even bigger flop might be the Michigan Film Office. The program provides movie producers a 42% tax credit for rolling the cameras in Michigan. But because the credits are "refundable," they are mostly cash subsidies to the film industry to make movies. The Michigan Senate Fiscal Agency recently found that "if a film production company spent $10.0 million in Michigan, the State will gain less than $700,000 in income and sales tax revenues but will pay out about $4 million to the production company." So in a state with the highest unemployment rate in the nation at 15%, taxpayers last year gave out $48 million in subsidies to Hollywood millionaires.

Why doesn't this kind of industrial policy work? One reason is that the subsidies have to be financed by somebody, which means raising taxes more broadly on the rest of the state. The subsidized businesses may bring a few jobs, but the overall employment and investment impact is miniscule at best.

In Michigan these programs were responsible for 0.25% of all new jobs created in the last decade, according to the study. Meanwhile, in 2007 Michigan raised business taxes by $1.4 billion on other firms to pay for many of Ms. Granholm's favored companies. Despite all the giveaways, Michigan was recently ranked as having the third most antibusiness climate among states, in a survey of executives by CEO magazine. If Michigan had simply cut taxes for every business, as Mr. Engler did in the 1990s when the state briefly led the nation in new jobs, it's a good bet unemployment would be lower.

When Ms. Granholm gave her state of the state address earlier this year, she crowed about the similarities between the Michigan and Obama Administration strategies of using tax subsidies to aid favored businesses. "President Obama's priorities are nearly identical to ours," she declared, and we can only hope the results won't be.

noonereal
09-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Seems like the program did not work but why is every article an editorial from the left or right these days?

Anyone an American anymore or are we all just a left loony or a right wing nut?

(I just hate slanted articles submitted as news by the author and editor)

spasmo55
09-06-2009, 08:17 AM
(I just hate slanted articles submitted as news by the author and editor)

Damn, I agree with you again, makes it tough to enjoy my morning coffee:D

wajobu
09-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Since legitimate journalists are becoming an endangered species, more and more newspaper articles are OpEd pieces instead of a reporting of facts.

merrylander
09-06-2009, 08:43 AM
I gave up on the Wall Street Urinal long ago.:D

Sandy G
09-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Two words, Rob- The Economist. Been a BIG fan for a LOOOOOOONG time. OK, its a Brit mag- but its not deluged w/articles on Michael Jackson's ascent into Deity-hood or Miley Cyrus' belly-button.

noonereal
09-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Two words, Rob- The Economist. Been a BIG fan for a LOOOOOOONG time. OK, its a Brit mag- but its not deluged w/articles on Michael Jackson's ascent into Deity-hood or Miley Cyrus' belly-button.

Been reading it since 1980 myself.

Charles
09-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I donno, looks like an op ed piece to me, and clearly defined so. Well written and researched, at least for a short article. And there is no doubt that someone could rewrite the above article using different statistics from different people and come up with an opposing viewpoint.

No doubt the author is not a fan of liberalism, or progressives, but this hardly makes him a "right wing nut job". He has simply made a case that instead of handing out tax credits to the few, why not lower taxes for all. His conclusion is that would be a more effective way to stimulate the economy.

At least that's the way I read it.

As far as everyone being a "left wing loon", or a "right wing nut job", that is simply a matter of perception for each of us. No one is correct 100% all of the time, and it's become quite popular to find a point where you have a legitimate argument with someone, and then use this as a lever to demonize everything about your opponent. If you find everyone to be either left or right wing, perhaps that is your focus. Would it not be better to focus on the middle ground?

And BTW, Grumpy, I suspect the writer of this article may be on to something. I feel sorry for you folks up in Michigan, you have a tough row to hoe, and I don't see that taking a second look at what your current policies are would hurt a thing.

I like to think of this as being open minded, as I really don't know where the answer lies. Even my current opinions are open to revision at any time.

Chas

noonereal
09-06-2009, 10:43 AM
I donno, looks like an op ed piece to me, and clearly defined so.

You are correct i missed it.
I bet many people do.
It's funny, my dad always read the OP's first, I never read them at all. I just never understand the concept of people telling me my opinion. :confused:

Well written and researched, at least for a short article. And there is no doubt that someone could rewrite the above article using different statistics from different people and come up with an opposing viewpoint.

That is exactly what I was going to say but was "keyboard lazy.":D

oh yeah, I agree
with the rest of your post as well.

merrylander
09-06-2009, 02:19 PM
So far we have made 4 billion profit from the banks that re-paid their loans according to the WashPost.

noonereal
09-06-2009, 02:46 PM
So far we have made 4 billion profit from the banks that re-paid their loans according to the WashPost.

I have explained how the bank bailout was structured to many folks, they just want to hate.

Fast_Eddie
09-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Liberals cheered this "progressive" alternative to tax cutting.

Okay, liberals are in favor of cutting taxes for businesses. Conservatives are against that. Got it.

Charles
09-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Okay, liberals are in favor of cutting taxes for businesses. Conservatives are against that. Got it.

Sounds to me like you've "got it" wrong.

Chas

noonereal
09-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Cutting corporate taxes is good for the inventor class not for the working class.
Anyone telling you different is blowing smoke up your a$$.