PDA

View Full Version : ATV's, So here is my dilemma

noonereal
09-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Bought myself a fine old country home a few years back and first thing I did was landscape. Cost a pretty penny too.

Made a big soccer field on two flat acres on the side, and put grass everywhere. Cleared out the brush, planted trees, mulched in none grass areas, moved trees yada yada yada.

So my neighbor's kid has an ATV. His course is in a loop which consists of my private road and cuts across my lawn. I now have ruts in my lawn defining his personnel ATV course. Needless to say he has never respected the speed limit sign on the road.
So I hear him coming about a month ago and I run out to flag him down and ask him to stop until I at least can grow grow grass back. He shakes his head no as I am flagging him and hits the accelerator. This has been repeated.

When I first moved in the same neighbor though my lawn was a play area for his dog. Actually several neighbors did. The dogs did not bother me much as it is better to get along than to upset an apple cart however this one dog, (same neighbor) is a vicious rottweiler. I had to confront him on that as no one would use the soccer field and workers refused to work because of the damn dog. Finally after threats (not mine I never threaten anyone, act or be still) and hell he trained his dog to stay on his own property. To this day the field is underutilized as still there is no trust that the dog will not stray when it is out. It took me years to make a positive relationship of it.

So as the kid will not even stop to talk to me should I approach the Dad or just give up on the lawn I am so proud of?

They honestly believe that they are entitled to the road and land as they were born here as were their parents. If I do speak to the Dad I will have the kid stopped but is it worth it? The Dad will surly have an attitude again and I will likely be forced to file a complaint to stop it. (The soccer goals were cut during the last confrontation)

What is with the "entitled" attitude? Most all the "inheritance" crowd here have the same attitude and all the new folks just grin and bear it.

I won't even get started on the illegal trash burning that we moved to the country to inhale nightly. That's how their great grandparents did it so why should they change? :rolleyes:

spasmo55
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
You have answered your own question. Act or be still.

Is it more important for you to get along, or to defend what is yours?

soundhound
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
build a fence.

Charles
09-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Bought myself a fine old country home a few years back and first thing I did was landscape. Cost a pretty penny too.

Made a big soccer field on two flat acres on the side, and put grass everywhere. Cleared out the brush, planted trees, mulched in none grass areas, moved trees yada yada yada.

So my neighbor's kid has an ATV. His course is in a loop which consists of my private road and cuts across my lawn. I now have ruts in my lawn defining his personnel ATV course. Needless to say he has never respected the speed limit sign on the road.
So I hear him coming about a month ago and I run out to flag him down and ask him to stop until I at least can grow grow grass back. He shakes his head no as I am flagging him and hits the accelerator. This has been repeated.

When I first moved in the same neighbor though my lawn was a play area for his dog. Actually several neighbors did. The dogs did not bother me much as it is better to get along than to upset an apple cart however this one dog, (same neighbor) is a vicious rottweiler. I had to confront him on that as no one would use the soccer field and workers refused to work because of the damn dog. Finally after threats (not mine I never threaten anyone, act or be still) and hell he trained his dog to stay on his own property. To this day the field is underutilized as still there is no trust that the dog will not stray when it is out. It took me years to make a positive relationship of it.

So as the kid will not even stop to talk to me should I approach the Dad or just give up on the lawn I am so proud of?

They honestly believe that they are entitled to the road and land as they were born here as were their parents. If I do speak to the Dad I will have the kid stopped but is it worth it? The Dad will surly have an attitude again and I will likely be forced to file a complaint to stop it. (The soccer goals were cut during the last confrontation)

What is with the "entitled" attitude? Most all the "inheritance" crowd here have the same attitude and all the new folks just grin and bear it.

I won't even get started on the illegal trash burning that we moved to the country to inhale nightly. That's how their great grandparents did it so why should they change? :rolleyes:

Ain't neighbors grand?

I'd start with talking to the kid's Dad, or get used to it. Now he may be a fine fellow and put an end to things without any animosity, but the odds are he's gonna end up hating your guts.

As to the dog problem...get a Malmute. They like people, love kids, but don't have any use for other dogs. I know my old Siberian straightened up a couple of rottweilers PDQ, can only imagine what a Malmute would do, as they're a lot bigger. You could even use your new dog as an excuse to put up an electric fence...in order to control YOUR dog. Fix both problems.

Probably a Malmute is a bad idea. As far as that goes, there probably aren't any good ideas. Other than a fence, but everybody's still gonna hate your guts. But I've never had a problem with that.

Good luck,

Chas

noonereal
09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
You have answered your own question. Act or be still.

Is it more important for you to get along, or to defend what is yours?

As i said I put the dog problem to bed as it was a case of "defending oneself."
This ATV this is a bit different as the only ting he is really hurting is my aesthetics.

merrylander
09-06-2009, 02:36 PM
A few tire shredders laid in the ruts should slow the little bastard down. The kind that look like the jacks kids used to play with.

It just cost me $425 to move a 15 year old dogwood. I had planted it right on the property line, with the neighbors permission in order to replace a white painted 2 x 2 marker. She is now mad at us because we saved five feral cats she wanted to kill. She thought she could get the county to cut it down, but nobody cuts down trees that I plant unless they are dead. It is just off the right side of the photo, you can see its shadow halfway up the side. I simply moved it 12 feet in toward the house.

noonereal
09-06-2009, 02:43 PM
A few tire shredders laid in the ruts should slow the little bastard down. The kind that look like the jacks kids used to play with.

It just cost me $425 to move a 15 year old dogwood. I had planted it right on the property line, with the neighbors permission in order to replace a white painted 2 x 2 marker. She is now mad at us because we saved five feral cats she wanted to kill. She thought she could get the county to cut it down, but nobody cuts down trees that I plant unless they are dead. It is just off the right side of the photo, you can see its shadow halfway up the side. I simply moved it 12 feet in toward the house.

guess I am not the first person to have trouble with neighbors

beautiful home

merrylander
09-06-2009, 03:31 PM
So far we have planted close to 100 trees around the place, reduces our carbon footprint. Got in here 21 years ago and just as well as we could not possibly afford the place now. Land is getting so scarce here that the value went up $19,000 last month. When we bought the land , close to 4.5 acres it was going for $1000 per acre, three years after we moved in land here was going for $45,000 per acre, county tax says the land alone is over $400,000 actually more than the house is valued. Getting so that the tax bill is pretty steep.

As to neighbors we usually try to get along, the one we are having problems with when her husband was ill if he fell down he could not get up on his own. Lost count of how many times we were called in to pick him up. Then after he died and when her doctor refused to sign for her drivers license (in her 80s) Florence would take her shopping twice a week. That got to the point where it was affecting her blood pressure. The came the business of the cats and that did it. Frankly I am just as happy because as I noted it was affecting Florence's blood pressure. It took me 53 years to find her and I want to keep her.

That photo was taken last July, people fly over in helios and then come around to see if you want to buy the picture. We have three of the photos and it shows how the trees grew. We put 30 white pines along the northwest side, makes a great windbreak. Had two pretty Bradford pears, Isabel (hurricane) got one, age got the other. We now have sugar maples where the Bradfords were. Biggest hazard to young trees are the lawn rats (white tailed deer).

noonereal
09-06-2009, 04:58 PM
A great place and it's very rewarding I am sure to have all that property all perfect like you like it and having done it yourself.

If I understood correctly you posted about your property tax it seemed very reasonable. After seeing your home I think I misread it. Wasn't it about $4,000 a year?

OvenMaster
09-06-2009, 07:47 PM
build a fence.
+1. Worked for us.

Our old neighbor had three cars, and that meant there was always one blocked in. He got the bright idea to use our lawn as part of his driveway instead of playing musical cars like he should have. He didn't like it one bit when my Dad caught him in the act and yelled at him to stop. We woke up the next morning to find the rear window of our Taurus was smashed in.

The next day we put up a 4' tall vinyl picket fence right on the property line (legal here). No more problems with a$$hole neighbors disrespecting our property.

merrylander
09-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Property tax is over $5000 per year, could be worse as Maryland law says it cannot go up more than 5% in any one year.

Charles
09-07-2009, 09:24 AM

Fine looking property.

I don't understand how she would think that the county would cut the tree down unless they have an easement between your properties.

Sounds to me like she has just become bitter for some reason. Just take comfort in the fact that she is punishing herself more than she is punishing you.

Chas

noonereal
09-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Property tax is over $5000 per year, could be worse as Maryland law says it cannot go up more than 5% in any one year.

Count your blessings. You'd be at least at $15,000 here.
I have got to wonder why here an hour and a half from Manhattan in an agricultural area we pay so much more than a suburb of DC:confused:??????????:confused:

How far out of DC are you?

Charles
09-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Count your blessings. You'd be at least at $15,000 here.
I have got to wonder why here an hour and a half from Manhattan in an agricultural area we pay so much more than a suburb of DC:confused:??????????:confused:

How far out of DC are you?

Damn, I feel sorry for you guys. 5K pays all of our property taxes (house, three lots, cars, boat, etc.), insurance on the house, and our utilities. With around $800 left over for maintenance. Now our shack would only bring app 130K on a good day, but after looking at Rob's house, I would say that the property values out there are at least 2.5x the values here in Bugtussell.

Then again, if your job pays 30K a year, it's considered to be fair to middlin'.

But when it comes to prick neighbors, I'll match ours with anyone's.

Chas

merrylander
09-07-2009, 11:58 AM
We are due north of DC - about 25 miles from the center, and due west of Baltimore. Ten minute drive south to the town where Madison brought the government when an Irish regiment was burning down the WhiteHouse. The building still stands.

noonereal
09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't know how or why but if my tax bill was yours I'd have a big old party.

hillbilly
09-07-2009, 08:57 PM
My God ya'll are getting screwed on taxes. No damn wonder everybody and their brother is running to TN.

I was just bitchin' about the taxes on our 11 acres being 312.00 a year. I wouldn't have bitched about it but my dad owns 262 acres and his taxes also shot up to 600.00 a year, in wich used to be far less. Hell, he don't plan on selling it .. they should only be able to tax you based on your purchase price, wich in his case was only 20,000.00 for all 262 acres.For many years his taxes were based on the 20k he paid for it, but out of nowhere his taxes shot through the roof. My wife and I were paying less than 100.00 a year upto a few years ago ... now 312.00 ... while housing values FALL.

Five years ago here, an 8 acre lot sold for 44,900.00 with no house,no building, and did not perk for a septic. It was mostly rock, and still sold for 44,900.00 as is.

OK, fast fawards to today. Theres 7 acres up the road in the city limmits with city water,sewer, and a two bedroom house with a block outbuilding.This is 7 acres with a home, out building,city water,city sewer, and is not rocky and 'does have' GOOD SOIL with nice grass with some scattered tree's that looks like a parklike setting. They been trying their damn best to sell it for 39,000.00 bucks. Just 39k, and months later it's still for sale with an agent.

So why the tax hikes? It aint like housing prices have went up here. It is called ''gettin' screwed'' because TN is seeing how many transplants are flooding here to escape high taxes. FL fokes nearly faint when they get their first tax bill after buying a place here, and the courthouse tells them that their teeny tiny tax bill is correct,and not a mistake. TN must be thinking taxes are to cheap and should raise 'em up a bit since fokes are coming here used to paying far more.

wajobu
09-07-2009, 09:46 PM
ATVs have no business on the roads (plenty of them unregistered around here are nuisances and have caused accidents) and if they're on your property--run them off and file a complaint with the police. End of story.

noonereal
09-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Good point hillbilly, I receive no garbage pick up, no water and no sewers.

spasmo55
09-08-2009, 07:28 AM
I'd like to thank all of you for making me feel so good about my $488 property tax. Like Hillbilly said, us folks that moved from FL, are a little shocked at first, until the first April in the new state, and you have to file state income tax, something I hadn't seen in 16 years, ouch!!

52% of our property tax goes to our school system, and they also tax my phone service and collect additional tax on our income. In a state with 99 counties and over 480 school systems, they have not learned the benefits of consolidation at the county level.

It seems that everyone on this forum lives suburban or rural, interesting.

39K, maybe I ought to consider migrating south again, but alas you said the "City Limits", someplace I will never live again. I'm happy to contract seperately for my trash, pay for my water and maintain a septic system to avoid another level of gov't controlling my life. Of course if I lived in TN, I could qualify for TENCARE, and not have to worry about this whole "Health Care" reform thing, hey.

Hell, we don't even have zoning here, how nice not to have to pull permits to do what you want with your own property.

NOON, perhaps you should look into your state laws regarding, ATV's. Strange as it may seem for a state like ours, ATV's are highly regulated, and require regular registration and insurance. We even have special officers in the DNR to police them on the public properties were they are permitted. Of course none of this applies to those machines used for farming practices.:D

merrylander
09-08-2009, 07:47 AM
We have our own well, 300 feet deep in the front lawn, and septic system back of the house. Garbage is collected every Tuesday and recycle every Thursday. We are zoned because the former owner across the street put in a tennis court and started giving lessons. Got so we would come home and find our driveway blocked, so we took him to the zoning board. He sold out about two years back so we don't have that problem any more. The zoning is RC - Rural Conservation whatever that is supposed to mean. The board did put a crimp in his business. MD is a highly Democratic state but the only thing protecting Democrats in this district are the game laws. So our congressman is some rich farmer from up-country who is about as much use as a milk bucket under a bull.

noonereal
09-08-2009, 08:00 AM
NOON, perhaps you should look into your state laws regarding, ATV's. Strange as it may seem for a state like ours, ATV's are highly regulated, and require regular registration and insurance. We even have special officers in the DNR to police them on the public properties were they are permitted. Of course none of this applies to those machines used for farming practices.:D

This is not a legal matter, the ATV is unlicensed, he is on my property and he is too young to drive it anywhere but his own property. This is a get along matter.

His own property is about 50x100 feet. That's it. So when the dad got the damn thing it was with the clear intent of illegally riding on others property.
This same gun is to cheap to contract garbage service and burns all his garbage. Plastic's and all. This in a no burn state. His leech field is even nothing more than the ditch between his property and his neighbors. (luckily not mine)

noonereal
09-08-2009, 08:07 AM
$428, $312 for property tax a year?:eek:

Are you serious?

How can this be?

Honestly, I have a modest 2000 square foot, depression era farm house on two acres in an agriculturally zoned area.

Why the dramatic difference in taxes???

Any thoughts?

wajobu
09-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Don't have enough information about what your state and county taxes actually cover versus income and other taxes.

Our local government covers schools, services (not trash hauling and water, but road plowing, road maintenance and town government, libraries, etc.). The State partially reimburses the towns for school renovation and construction costs and the rest is bonded, etc. We have seen our property taxes double in the last 21 years, but we have had three major school renovations (elementary, Middle & High), road improvements, etc. over the years. With our house addition, technically, our taxes have tripled, but they are WAY lower than other jurisdictions (from $650 to $3,000 in 21 years). I have no complaints as the highest cost is the education budgets and our local volunteer school boards do so much with so little.

BTW, we have a volunteer FD, but the Town voted about 6 years ago to pay for constructing a new building...all other equipment is funded from donations and grants.

merrylander
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Pretty much the same here, in fact we are to get a new firehouse just a few miles up the road, should help reduce my homeowners insurance costs.

Charles
09-08-2009, 03:49 PM
This is not a legal matter, the ATV is unlicensed, he is on my property and he is too young to drive it anywhere but his own property. This is a get along matter.

His own property is about 50x100 feet. That's it. So when the dad got the damn thing it was with the clear intent of illegally riding on others property.
This same gun is to cheap to contract garbage service and burns all his garbage. Plastic's and all. This in a no burn state. His leech field is even nothing more than the ditch between his property and his neighbors. (luckily not mine)

He's dumping raw sewage in a ditch? They won't even let you do that in Missouri, and pretty much anything goes around here. No codes, no zones, no nuttin' 'cept a plumbers license here in the County Seat. Now you have to furnish a Certificate of Insurance to get one, but there are no penatilies for plumbing without one. I've got one, but at times I wonder why.

I'm assuming that you have no sewer system in your area, and if that's the case, a 50x100 lot doesn't have enough room for a septic system. Around here, you have to have at least 3 acres (to the best of my recollection) in order to install a septic system, by law.

I cannot imagine that the regulations in New York are less lax than here in Missouri.

Sounds to me like you have a mighty big lever, if you're so inclined to use it.

If you're like me, you despise a confrontation. And most of the time, the problem will correct itself, in time. Personally, I'd be inclined to ignore the little prick, how much fun can it be to ride an ATV on a 50x100 lot, with a house on it somewhere? Hell, he's just a kid.

But whatever you do, don't let it get under your skin. Ain't worth it.

Chas

wajobu
09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Contact the Board of Health to get the cesspool expunged. Maybe the kid's ATV will get stuck in it.

noonereal
09-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I guess I'll just ignore him and when I naturally bump into him ask him to let the grass grow back before he starts ruining it again.

I am sure the leach fields are grandfathered into any code as far as that goes and everyone in my little area is an old farm home.

Charles
09-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I guess I'll just ignore him and when I naturally bump into him ask him to let the grass grow back before he starts ruining it again.

I am sure the leach fields are grandfathered into any code as far as that goes and everyone in my little area is an old farm home.

Wise decision!!!

Let the little prick have his fun, take a carton of beer over and visit his dad, and don't bring up anything negative.

Next thing you know, you'll have the little prick mowing your soccer field.

Right now, the only one upset is you. You and be as happy as your want, or as miserable as you want...it takes the same effort.

Try to be happy, I've learned the hard way,

Chas

painter
09-08-2009, 05:51 PM
how much fun can it be to ride an ATV on a 50x100 lot, with a house on it somewhere? Hell, he's just a kid.

But whatever you do, don't let it get under your skin. Ain't worth it.

Chas

I totally agree. We raised two sons and now have two young grandsons who ride dirt bikes and quads on private roads bordering our property. And anywhere from twelve to fifteen adults/kids several week-ends during summer. A little lemonade doled out on a hot day...allows us to ask a slowdown on dusty days and they oblige. We do have to keep the windows closed fronting the house most times until they leave...but we have the rest of the week as a quiet haven. We're glad the dads get them away for fresh air and fun. Boys need to do boy things.

Fast_Eddie
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Right now, the only one upset is you. You can be as happy as your want, or as miserable as you want...it takes the same effort.

Try to be happy, I've learned the hard way,

Chas

Words to live by.

JJIII
09-09-2009, 05:43 AM
I totally agree. We raised two sons and now have two young grandsons who ride dirt bikes and quads on private roads bordering our property. And anywhere from twelve to fifteen adults/kids several week-ends during summer. A little lemonade doled out on a hot day...allows us to ask a slowdown on dusty days and they oblige. We do have to keep the windows closed fronting the house most times until they leave...but we have the rest of the week as a quiet haven. We're glad the dads get them away for fresh air and fun. Boys need to do boy things.

Ahh, the wisdom of a grandmother!

Noon, get yourself a quad and join them. You would have some fun. :)

noonereal
09-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Ahh, the wisdom of a grandmother!

Noon, get yourself a quad and join them. You would have some fun. :)

There is no place to ride one that is not trespassing. No one wants them on their property, everyone that has a kid could care less.

spasmo55
09-09-2009, 08:16 AM
$428, $312 for property tax a year?:eek:

Are you serious?

How can this be?

Honestly, I have a modest 2000 square foot, depression era farm house on two acres in an agriculturally zoned area.

Why the dramatic difference in taxes???

Any thoughts?

I guess you need to look at the breakdown on your tax statement of what you are paying for service wise. In FL we had 16 different taxes collected, here we have 8.

Very small house 1200 sf if you count the enclosed porch and the "Mud Room", on 2 acres w/ garage and car port. Homestead and Disabled Military excemptions. Don't think property values have dropped here like the "civilized" areas, they just aren't selling.

Iowa is also unique as we do not have Title Companies, or deeds, we have abstracts, and property owner holds the original document. The abstract shows the history of our property back to the 1840's when this part of the county was set aside for the "Halfbreeds" to live in. We signed 2 pieces of paper to buy our place, not counting the "Check".

We don't pay for many services as we don't receive many. Roads are funded through Registration Fees and fuel tax. Small County Sheriffs Dept, 3 yrs and I could count on my fingers how many times a Deputy has passed my house.

Water is through a CO-OP, septic system, and we contract our own trash, at a whopping $16.50 a month. Recycle we take to a drop off point in nearby town, don't really know who profits by it, don't care, just keeping it out of the landfill.

Fire protection is by VFD. Schools, a sore subject with me, are our largest tax burden. As we have no children attending, and I "ain't from around here", talking to the school board would be like farting in a hurricane. Very clicky about their schools.

Could have something to do with a STATE population of under 4 million??

noonereal
09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
"Halfbreeds" sorry, what do you mean by half breeds?

thanks

merrylander
09-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Spas that sounds like the time I bought the house in Ottawa, Canada. Asked the bank for a mortgage, gave them the address of the property. They called us and said "All is set come down on Monday". Near as I recall only signed a couple of papers, no title insurance, no "points", total bill $600.00.

When we built this place we had to go through the whole Title company, title insurance, state tax stamps, etc. fifteen pieces of paper and $22,000 we walked out with the deed and a mortgage.

I honestly believe the system was designed by thieves for thieves.

Fast_Eddie
09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
IWater is through a CO-OP

Sounds like socialism! You live in a dad burn commune! If it weren't such socialism we could do something similar with health care.

painter
09-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Spas that sounds like the time I bought the house in Ottawa, Canada. Asked the bank for a mortgage, gave them the address of the property. They called us and said "All is set come down on Monday". Near as I recall only signed a couple of papers, no title insurance, no "points", total bill $600.00.

When we built this place we had to go through the whole Title company, title insurance, state tax stamps, etc. fifteen pieces of paper and $22,000 we walked out with the deed and a mortgage.

I honestly believe the system was designed by thieves for thieves.

The Queen owns the land.....http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question86458.html

spasmo55
09-09-2009, 07:23 PM
"Halfbreeds" sorry, what do you mean by half breeds?

thanks

Right from Wiki, they are not unique to Iowa. The orange section, numbered 120 on attached map.

An 1824 treaty between the Sacs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sac_(tribe)), Foxes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_(tribe)) and the United States set aside a reservation for mixed-blood people related to the tribes. The land contained approximately 119,000 acres (480 km2) lying between the Mississippi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_River) and Des Moines Rivers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Moines_River).

Of course white man screwed them out of it later, surprise there, hey!!:eek:

spasmo55
09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Sounds like socialism! You live in a dad burn commune! If it weren't such socialism we could do something similar with health care.

Hey, it was hooked up when we bought the place, meter right next to the deep well. Not cost effective to restore well, and disconnect water line.

It is titled an "Association", seems to operate like a Co-op or Credit Union, elected board and so forth.

Well, we were going to call it a kibbutz, but nobody could remeber how to spell it at the time:D

Charles
09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Of course white man screwed them out of it later, surprise there, hey!!

The white man never screwed the Indians out of a thing.

Look at it like this. The Indians had lived in American for thousands of years, but not only didn't they have one lawyer among them, none of them had never gone to the trouble to get a deed for their property.

Chas

merrylander
09-10-2009, 07:53 AM
The Queen owns the land.....http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question86458.html

Well Liz did not have her name on the title deed, we did. Of course now that my ex decided to sell someone elses name is on the deed.

painter
09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Well Liz did not have her name on the title deed, we did. Of course now that my ex decided to sell someone elses name is on the deed.

Yes...those mortgages get everyone.

Land ownership in Canada
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Land ownership in Canada is held by governments, Native groups, corporations, and individuals. Canada is the second largest country in the world; at 9,093,507 km˛ or 3,511,085 mi˛ of land (and more if fresh water is included) it occupies more than 6% of the Earth's surface. Since Canada uses primarily British-derived Common Law, the holders of the land actually have land tenure (permission to hold land from the Crown) rather than absolute ownership

spasmo55
09-10-2009, 09:00 AM

Land ownership in Canada
Land ownership in Canada is held by governments, Native groups, corporations, and individuals. Canada is the second largest country in the world; at 9,093,507 km˛ or 3,511,085 mi˛ of land (and more if fresh water is included) it occupies more than 6% of the Earth's surface. Since Canada uses primarily British-derived Common Law, the holders of the land actually have land tenure (permission to hold land from the Crown) rather than absolute ownership

Can anyone have "absolute ownership", in a country that practices "Eminent Domain"?

merrylander
09-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Land ownership in Canada
Land ownership in Canada is held by governments, Native groups, corporations, and individuals. Canada is the second largest country in the world; at 9,093,507 km² or 3,511,085 mi² of land (and more if fresh water is included) it occupies more than 6% of the Earth's surface. Since Canada uses primarily British-derived Common Law, the holders of the land actually have land tenure (permission to hold land from the Crown) rather than absolute ownership

And if Liz said she was taking it back Canada would become a republic so fast it would make your head spin. The royals serve with consent of the public and that consent can be withdrawn. Just hope that no developer decides they want to build a shopping mall that will incorporate your land, the Supremes faxied that last year.

You do realize that Wiki data is only now under consideration that it be verified? To date it is simply text input by any one with online access.

painter
09-10-2009, 01:40 PM
And if Liz said she was taking it back Canada would become a republic so fast it would make your head spin. The royals serve with consent of the public and that consent can be withdrawn

As a result of our close proximity to Canada we have some knowledge of the issues there. Things are changing rapidly.
When American products in a particular area are not available..we choose Canadian. Most time it is reciprocal.
My main point in addressing the land issue was in your comparison with buying property in Canada versus America. In America When purchasing land...we buy from the depths of the earth to the heavens (something like that). :)

painter
09-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Can anyone have "absolute ownership", in a country that practices "Eminent Domain"?

I do believe a court battle would ensue...but just compensation ia always given. What "just" is...is always debatable.

Oh....something came to mind...reverse mortgage...now there's something to ponder regarding your health care question. ALL your funds must be depleted before nursing home admittance. Except a modest burial amount and I believe $100. per month for personal use. Wonder how Obama would handle that?

piece-itpete
09-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Lolol. I'm surprised. If some kid was trashing my property then blew me off I'd be at his parents doorstep before he was.

Civil, of course :)

A lot of you guys have some really nice properties. I'm on a pie shaped lot 100 lf across the front, 200 lf across the back about an average of 175 lf down the sides, but the backyard is pretty wooded (never been graded or landscaped and I'm keeping it that way) in a solid 'exurb'. Taxes, without looking, are about $1400/yr. Little 1000sf slab ranch (way too small).

A note on deed restrictions - many, particularly in the old suburbs, around here are literally restricted to WASPs. No longer legal but on the deed.

Pete

Charles
09-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Lolol. I'm surprised. If some kid was trashing my property then blew me off I'd be at his parents doorstep before he was.

Civil, of course :)

A lot of you guys have some really nice properties. I'm on a pie shaped lot 100 lf across the front, 200 lf across the back about an average of 175 lf down the sides, but the backyard is pretty wooded (never been graded or landscaped and I'm keeping it that way) in a solid 'exurb'. Taxes, without looking, are about $1400/yr. Little 1000sf slab ranch (way too small).

A note on deed restrictions - many, particularly in the old suburbs, around here are literally restricted to WASPs. No longer legal but on the deed.

Pete

Damn, Pete, where you live? Taxes sound a little steep to me.

As far as slugging it out with the neighbors, I no longer have the will.

I try to ignore it as long as possible. And I've finally grown old enough that I don't ignore it until I snap like a glass rod.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but they's bigger fish to fry in this life.

Chas

piece-itpete
09-11-2009, 07:33 AM
In the greater Cleveland area, and yes the taxes are high. I'm guesstimating but they're at least 1200.

I'm not going over there to kick butt or anything! Just a friendly conversation between adult neighbors :)

Pete