12-22-2011, 05:35 PM
It ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Chas

epifanatic
12-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Personally, I'll be glad when it's over, Chas

JJIII
12-22-2011, 05:51 PM
It's a lot more fun when there are youngsters around.

finnbow
12-22-2011, 06:04 PM
If we could just quit the orgy of gift-giving and tacky music, I would be a lot better.

epifanatic
12-22-2011, 11:20 PM
If we could just quit the orgy of gift-giving and tacky music, I would be a lot better.

Damn anti-capitalist commie pig.

epifanatic
12-22-2011, 11:23 PM
It's a lot more fun when there are youngsters around.

I do miss that.

Oerets
12-22-2011, 11:35 PM
I just wish the spirit of Christmas was 365/7 but not the commercial side. The real true meaning of Christmas, Peace and Love for your fellow man.

I like the lights and music too! Just hate all the shopping madness.

Barney

neophyte
12-22-2011, 11:50 PM
as an atheist, xmas is the consummate celebration of an absurd myth, but if any sincere good will results from it, I'm fine with that

Charles
12-23-2011, 06:24 AM

I actually like some of the music, but I draw the line at Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Chas

piece-itpete
12-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Agreed, some awesome music, but if I hear about wanting a freakin' hippo for Christmas one more time I'm going postal.

A store employee told me that for some reason candy canes are big this year.

Pete

merrylander
12-23-2011, 08:16 AM
SInce the granddaughters are 500 miles away we do not bother decorating or putting up a tree. However I do notice that people are pleasantly surprised when we wish them Merry Christmas. I firmly believe in separation of church and state, this was not the case in Colonial America, even the Puritans who came seeking religious freedom did not practice such freedom. Of course there is a tendency here to confuse freedom with license.

Merry Christmas y'all.:D

BlueStreak
12-23-2011, 08:33 AM
I actually like some of the music, but I draw the line at Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Chas

Leroy Anderson, or Bing Crosby. Great Stuff!

Alvin and the Chipmunks, not so much.

Dave

finnbow
12-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Chas

I like the traditional stuff performed in a traditional manner. I don't really like any of the modern stuff.

piece-itpete
12-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Every Christmas day I play the Messiah in its' entirety, sometimes a version given me by our very own generous Canadian Elder :)

Pete

finnbow
12-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Every Christmas day I play the Messiah in its' entirety, sometimes a version given me by our very own generous Canadian Elder :)

Pete

Dat's da good stuff, yo.

piece-itpete
12-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Heck yeah! I've got a couple of old Trapp Family Christmas LPs where they do the old world carols, they're good too. Though I've noticed most folks would rather hear pop carols.

Dave, what's that LP on your stereo?

Pete

merrylander
12-23-2011, 10:55 AM

Pete

Not quite sure how I managed it, but in addition to Malcom Sargeant and the Huddesfield, I seem to have acquired three others.

Otto Klemperer on Angel,

Colin Davis on Philips, and

Neville Marriner on Argo

The latter is based on the first performance March 23, 1743.

Hmm March 23 was my eldest brother's birthday, rest his soul, wonder if he had summat to do with my getting it?:rolleyes:

Of course as a former Quebecois I can even sing the original Minut Chretien, that y'all call O Holy Night.

noonereal
12-23-2011, 04:26 PM

"tacky music" :eek:

Rex E.
12-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I like the traditional stuff performed in a traditional manner. I don't really like any of the modern stuff.

No Thin White Duke & Bing?

JJIII
12-23-2011, 06:32 PM
"tacky music" :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT5c5eP_P34

'Nuff said!

whell
12-23-2011, 07:42 PM
The latter is based on the first performance March 23, 1743.

I could make a wise crack about how you were there to hear that performance, but I'll restrain myself. It is the Holidays after all. :p:D

d-ray657
12-23-2011, 10:17 PM
This is a repeat from last year (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE), but isn't that what traditions are anyway?

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
12-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Christmas ain't all it's cracked up to be.

I doubt that Ian Anderson would give me much of an argument.

Chas

d-ray657
12-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Christmas ain't all it's cracked up to be.

I doubt that Ian Anderson would give me much of an argument.

Chas

The Christmas Spirit is not what you drink.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
12-24-2011, 07:30 AM
The Christmas Spirit is not what you drink.

Regards,

D-Ray

But it helps at times.

Chas

Charles
12-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Anyway, for what it's worth Merry Christmas you miserable mucks.

I didn't think I was capable of getting in the spirit this year, but getting all slopped up with my buddy last nite seemed to do the trick.

Chas

merrylander
12-24-2011, 01:12 PM
And a Merry Christmas to you Chas.

Charles
12-24-2011, 01:54 PM
And a Merry Christmas to you Chas.

And the lion lies down with the lamb.

Chas

d-ray657
12-24-2011, 04:22 PM
And the lion lies down with the lamb.

Chas

You old softie. :cool:

My son brought their house dog with him. It's kinda nice to have a dog around again. Not too bad having the boy home, either. The younger one gets here after work tonight, then out to the 11:00 Christmas Eve service. My in-laws arrived this afternoon. Getting the family together - that's the Christmas spirit for me.

Best to all of you out there.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
12-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Gaaahhh.

That was directed at the music link John posted, guess I am a real slow typist.

Still Merry Christmas to all.

Our Sheltie/Spitz mix liked to sleep that way, and could he snore.

Oerets
12-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Hope one and all are having a Happy and Merry Christmas listening to seasonal music this today.

Peace and Love to all!

Barney

d-ray657
12-25-2011, 10:49 AM
My church is very fortunate to have some gifted musicians taking part in the Christmas services. Our organist/pianist is a virtuoso - working on is PHD in music. A visiting family member is a professional opera singer. Their combination on "Oh Holy Night" would be enough to move even those who think the whole thing is a big fantasy. The close of the services, with the song "Peace Peace" overlaid on "Silent Night," sung while everyone holds a lit candle, always has me and most everyone else wiping our eyes. There is a reason that service remains a family tradition.

Hope you all are having a joyous day.

Regards,

D-Ray
Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
12-25-2011, 11:50 AM
My church is very fortunate to have some gifted musicians taking part in the Christmas services. Our organist/pianist is a virtuoso - working on is PHD in music. A visiting family member is a professional opera singer. Their combination on "Oh Holy Night" would be enough to move even those who think the whole thing is a big fantasy. The close of the services, with the song "Peace Peace" overlaid on "Silent Night," sung while everyone holds a lit candle, always has me and most everyone else wiping our eyes. There is a reason that service remains a family tradition.

Hope you all are having a joyous day.

Regards,

D-Ray
Regards,

D-Ray

Well I cannot prove He exists but neither can anyone prove the opposite.:rolleyes:

Yes we rae indeed having a joyous day and trust that you and yours are doing the same.:)

BlueStreak
12-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Heck yeah! I've got a couple of old Trapp Family Christmas LPs where they do the old world carols, they're good too. Though I've noticed most folks would rather hear pop carols.

Dave, what's that LP on your stereo?

Pete

Leroy Anderson, "A Christmas Festival"--Decca Ultimate High Fidelity Stereo--1958-'59, I believe.

It has sentimental value, I inherited it from my parents. Anderson was their favorite composer. I saw a copy at the thrift for $1.50----This particular copy is priceless.:)

Dave

BlueStreak
12-25-2011, 03:14 PM
One Christmas Season, long ago, my father and I were busy decorating the Norway Spruce in the front yard. The house was already all decked out. As we worked, Ivan and Bertha Graneiwitz out for a walk, drew near and Ivan hollered out to Pop, "Lookin' good there Read-o!", and stopped to talk for a minute. They commented on how much they loved Christmas.

Pop said, "I thought you two were Jewish?"

"Yeah, that we are. But, you don't have to be Christian to appreciate the spirit of the occasion, Ed."

Imagine that.

Dave

Charles
12-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Well I cannot prove He exists but neither can anyone prove the opposite.:rolleyes:

Yes we rae indeed having a joyous day and trust that you and yours are doing the same.:)

And the same to you, my friend.

Although I pretty much consider myself to be a hard headed empiricist, even I can't deny that I have a spiritual side. Probably not as pronounced as some, and I haven't done a great deal of navel gazing to determine what exactly it is, I just accept it and let it go at that.

I must admit, I've always felt a little foolish taking a knee and offering a prayer to a deity of whom I have no concept of whatsoever. But if it works for someone else, who am I to complain?

Chas

Charles
12-25-2011, 04:43 PM
You old softie. :cool:

My son brought their house dog with him. It's kinda nice to have a dog around again. Not too bad having the boy home, either. The younger one gets here after work tonight, then out to the 11:00 Christmas Eve service. My in-laws arrived this afternoon. Getting the family together - that's the Christmas spirit for me.

Best to all of you out there.

Regards,

D-Ray

Ever think about getting another mutt, or are you determined not to go through the pain of watching one die again?

Chas

HatchetJack
12-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Merry Christmas everyone and you commie heathens too:p

Charles
12-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Ya left out the Muzzies.

Bigot.

Chas

d-ray657
12-25-2011, 06:15 PM

Nice of you to do a drive by, Jack. :D

Hope your Christmas was happy.

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657
12-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Ever think about getting another mutt, or are you determined not to go through the pain of watching one die again?

Chas

One of these days. Gotta wait until we can fit vet bills, and maybe a fence into the budget.

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657
12-25-2011, 06:30 PM
One Christmas Season, long ago, my father and I were busy decorating the Norway Spruce in the front yard. The house was already all decked out. As we worked, Ivan and Bertha Graneiwitz out for a walk, drew near and Ivan hollered out to Pop, "Lookin' good there Read-o!", and stopped to talk for a minute. They commented on how much they loved Christmas.

Pop said, "I thought you two were Jewish?"

"Yeah, that we are. But, you don't have to be Christian to appreciate the spirit of the occasion, Ed."

Imagine that.

Dave

Yup.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
12-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Good will towards your fellow man.

So simple a concept, so difficult to be practiced.

I suppose we are no more than animals who have eaten from the tree of knowledge.

It's sad, really, and as a species we have no excuse.

Hell, we're supposed to be smarter than the average bear...and I don't see it.

Well, Merry Xmas for what's it's worth.

I reckon we ought to take at least one day off from greed and murder.

Chas

BTW: I haven't unloaded the .38 or the .357 in my nightstand. Don't reckon I've got too much room to talk. Then again, I ain't out looking for trouble, either.

Bigerik
12-25-2011, 09:06 PM
One of these days. Gotta wait until we can fit vet bills, and maybe a fence into the budget.

Regards,

D-Ray

Can't you chase down an ambulance or two to make that happens? :)

BlueStreak
12-26-2011, 10:57 AM
My Dalmatian, Sadie, is 15 years old and almost as healthy as a puppy.

I think she's doing it out of spite.

Dave

Charles
12-26-2011, 02:58 PM
My Dalmatian, Sadie, is 15 years old and almost as healthy as a puppy.

I think she's doing it out of spite.

Dave

Reckon she'll be pissing on your grave?

Chas

BlueStreak
12-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Reckon she'll be pissing on your grave?

Chas

I think she'll try.

Dave

piece-itpete
12-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

For me it was the Christmas of getting sloshed apparently. I got Rogues' Dead Guys Ale, Two Brothers' The Bitter End, and 21st Amendents' Allies Win The War 'date' beer, along with a bottle of homemade 'apple pie' likker.

The Bitter End says on it, get to the bottom to find out how it got its' name. I get to the bottom, and I'm like wait a sec, there's nothing different! But I'm disappointed. Then, d'oh!! :D

I didn't find anything standout on the Dead Guy stuff, although it's good. I think the high point of it is the grinning skeleton drinking a beer on the label.

The Allies stuff has one STRONG taste.

The 'apple pie' is way, way too easy to drink. I'm guessing 70-80 proof.

Pete

BlueStreak
12-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale..................

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

finnbow
12-27-2011, 12:10 PM
My Christmas libations in the beer department included Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and Great Lakes Christmas Ale, as well as a winter standby, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. You are blessed with a fine brewery in Cleveland, Pete.

piece-itpete
12-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks! Their Christmas Ale is extremely popular hereabouts and usually sells out early.

Any you guys make it up here, we'll go to the brewery :)

Pete

merrylander
12-27-2011, 12:15 PM
For us it was Veuve Cliquot Brut.

finnbow
12-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks! Their Christmas Ale is extremely popular hereabouts and usually sells out early.

Any you guys make it up here, we'll go to the brewery :)

Pete

Thanks for the offer. Might just do it one of these days.

RE: GL Christmas Ale: The beer store where I bought it kept it in the back room and limited its purchase to one 6pack per loyal customer. I'm not normally a fan of flavored beers (this one has some ginger, honey and cinnamon in it), but the flavoring are not "in-your-face." Good stuff.

noonereal
12-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the offer. Might just do it one of these days.

RE: GL Christmas Ale: The beer store where I bought it kept it in the back room and limited its purchase to one 6pack per loyal customer. I'm not normally a fan of flavored beers (this one has some ginger, honey and cinnamon in it), but the flavoring are not "in-your-face." Good stuff.

Well, if Pete is buying I'm in!:D