PDA

View Full Version : Jeffersonian Exceptionalism

neophyte
01-27-2012, 01:01 AM
another fine piece of thinking and writing by Paul Pillar

The American exceptionalism that has become an unchallengeable part of political discourse in the United States has taken on substantive trappings that are not at all intrinsic to the concept that America is indeed an exceptional place. Those trappings include a sense that some principles and rules of international relations somehow do not apply to the United States. They often include an attitude that the United States can do right but no wrong. There is often a disdain for any need to understand, much less to accommodate, the interests, perceptions, and feelings of non-Americans. There is a tendency to see the United States as an indispensable player in sundry matters around the globe. And there usually is the belief that because American values and institutions are superior to anyone else's, they are readily applicable to non-Americans, who will readily accept and understand them.

The politically unchallengeable aspect of exceptionalism makes it a tool to use (more often by the Right than by the Left) against anyone arguing for careful foreign policies that pay due regard to conflicting interests and to limitations that apply even to the United States. Use of the tool puts the opponent on the defensive. It would be political poison to be suspected of not believing fully that the United States is exceptional.

The trappings ought to be stripped away from the core concept of America indeed being a special place. Robert Merry has discussed the importance of distinguishing exceptionalism from the idea that American values are univerally applicable. I have described how some of the attitudes and beliefs that accompany the version of exceptionalism commonly expressed today have underlain trouble that the United States has gotten itself into overseas.

Fortunately there is a version of exceptionalism that has long standing in American political thought, that views American values and institutions as just as special as anyone else views them, and is not burdened with the unhelpful latter-day trappings. This version is at the center of the American political tradition that Walter Russell Mead, in his splendid book Special Providence, labels as Jeffersonian. Jeffersonians, writes Mead, “believe that the specific cultural, social, and political heritage of the United States is a special treasure to be conserved, defended, and passed on to future generations.” Foreign policy has much to do with that conservation and defense: “To capitalize on that rare and precious opportunity to build a free country was the highest aim of Jeffersonian domestic policy; to preserve that sanctuary and that revolution has been and remains the highest aim of Jeffersonian statecraft in international relations.” As for universality, Jeffersonians believe that the United States could better serve the cause of democracy beyond its borders “by setting an example rather than imposing a model.”

The Jeffersonian importance on taking extra care to preserve the special phenomenon of American liberal democracy leads to appropriate caution in determining what the United States should and should not try to accomplish abroad. There are two basic dangers in foreign policy as Jeffersonians see it. One of them, in Mead's words, consists of “those things that foreign countries may do to us that threaten our liberties directly.” From much discourse today one might conclude this is the only type of danger. But “there are also, perhaps more dangerous, the things we may do to ourselves as we seek to defend ourselves against others, or even as we seek to advance our values abroad.” There is much recent history that could illustrate that second danger, from warrantless wiretaps to Abu Ghraib. And besides the damage we can do to ourselves, there is also the problem of picking fights and postulating threats in a way that needlessly encourages others to damage us. “Define your interests as narrowly as possible,” advise the Jeffersonians, "and you will have the fewest possible grounds for quarrels with others."

Advocates of prudent foreign policies that reflect such advice need yield no ground to self-declared tub-thumping exceptionalists of today. They just have to dig down deeper into American political traditions and remind people of what has long been at the core of what makes the United States genuinely special.

merrylander
01-27-2012, 07:57 AM
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

finnbow
01-27-2012, 09:16 AM
The advocates of American exceptionalism are pandering to the under-educated and insecure. It somehow makes these underachievers also feel exceptional as they crank up the Lee Greenwood.

piece-itpete
01-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Strange this, in one way: our foreign policy is remarkabley bipartisan and has been for some time.

And to really stir the pot, we are crucial to the current world prosperity :)

Pete

BlueStreak
01-27-2012, 09:47 AM
One truly fascinating experience of my life was observing the behavior of "salt of the earth" Americans loosed in foreign countries. Most of my shipmates behaved fairly well. Unfortunately, many did nothing but reinforce the "Ugly American" image. Some of us truly have come to believe that the rest of the world is inferior and needs be lectured on how they should strive to become more like us.

Don't even try to tell me it isn't true, I've seen it with my own eyes.

Dave

BlueStreak
01-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Strange this, in one way: our foreign policy is remarkabley bipartisan and has been for some time.

And to really stir the pot, we are crucial to the current world prosperity :)

Pete

True, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about attitude, and a stubborn refusal to accept that maybe there are some things we could learn from others. Being exceptional in some ways is one thing. Being an ass about it is another.

The metric measurement system is a good example. Why do some Americans just simply refuse to learn and use it? It's a far superior and simpler system, IMO. Simple base ten. No fractions. But, I have been told to my face on many occasions, "Yeah, but it isn't American, so f**k that."

This is the sort of thing we're talking about.

Dave

merrylander
01-27-2012, 09:55 AM
The funny part is that to be honest I felt more free back in Canada. I knew that I would never face bankruptcy because of medical expenses. I knew that If I pissed of another person the worst outcome might be a bloody nose but it was extremely unlikely that I would be shot. The idea that some goons would be likely to try kicking in our front door would never have occured to me.

So all this talk about "Land of the free" tends to make people here believe this is the only free country, and that is patently untrue.

BlueStreak
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
The funny part is that to be honest I felt more free back in Canada. I knew that I would never face bankruptcy because of medical expenses. I knew that If I pissed of another person the worst outcome might be a bloody nose but it was extremely unlikely that I would be shot. The idea that some goons would be likely to try kicking in our front door would never have occured to me.

So all this talk about "Land of the free" tends to make people here believe this is the only free country, and that is patently untrue.

Actually, and you may find this an odd statement. But of all of the places I've been the ones that seemed the most free, maybe a little too free (As in; Lawless.)----were some of the poorest.

Dave

piece-itpete
01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I understand Blue, but most people in most countries have that attitude too, to some degree. And we have been wildly sucessful.

I've also seen American exceptionally boorish behavior but probably not to the same level. My experience was more of the comparing the host country to the US, usually like 'Everything is so expensive here!'

Pete

merrylander
01-27-2012, 11:10 AM
When I was still lecturing I always took Florence with me and we had some great times. I guess the difference was most strangers we met assumed that she was either Spanish or Italian and that I was from one of the Nordic countries. The only trip she did not make was the one to Israel, so my hosts sent me home with some small gifts for her.

Big_Bill
01-27-2012, 12:09 PM
During my travels, I found the French to be the most obnoxious. Politically, sexually, and as to there cuisine verses our cuisines.

Russia was insistent on their total military superiority in the world, and how they saved our asses in WWII.

Germany only insulted our beer and choice of thin women.

Now England was great and treated us as if we were good friends, I just hated being called a Yank, instead of by my name.

Bill

neophyte
01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
who cued the perfect example of the "it's all about me, it's all about america" prototypical ugly american? either way, it showed up for you, LOL

Bigerik
01-27-2012, 12:19 PM
During my travels, I found the French to be the most obnoxious. Politically, sexually, and as to there cuisine verses our cuisines.

Russia was insistent on their total military superiority in the world, and how they saved our asses in WWII.

Germany only insulted our beer and choice of thin women.

Now England was great and treated us as if we were good friends, I just hated being called a Yank, instead of by my name.

Bill

I hear ya, Yank. :)

piece-itpete
01-27-2012, 12:20 PM
My uncle would call me a yank, I'd call him a limey :)

Got a taste for 'cellar cold' beer over there. Bitter rules!

Pete

Big_Bill
01-27-2012, 12:27 PM
My uncle would call me a yank, I'd call him a limey :)

Got a taste for 'cellar cold' beer over there. Bitter rules!

Pete

Granted,

Our beer does suck :)

But don't rub it in every chance you can, just because you can.

Bill

piece-itpete
01-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I used to like Bud ok, but the darn furrners changed it. Now that we've microbrew crazy there is a lot of good beer out there.

I seached and searched for bitter here and was sad until I found Goose Islands' 'Honkers Ale' - it's real bitter. Can't find Old Peculiar anymore though :(

Pete

Charles
01-27-2012, 03:16 PM
The advocates of American exceptionalism are pandering to the under-educated and insecure. It somehow makes these underachievers also feel exceptional as they crank up the Lee Greenwood.

After watching the STOU the other night, I'm surprised Ears didn't wrap it up with some Lee Greenwood.

He was laying it on pretty thick.

Chas

Bigerik
01-27-2012, 04:12 PM
After watching the STOU the other night, I'm surprised Ears didn't wrap it up with some Lee Greenwood.

He was laying it on pretty thick.

Chas

Don't they always?

Ronnie's speeches got me to talk to a US Air Force recruiter. Seriously.

Charles
01-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Don't they always?

Ronnie's speeches got me to talk to a US Air Force recruiter. Seriously.

Just think about how disappointed you would have been once they informed you at boot camp that you wouldn't ACTUALLY be piloting a Spit.

Maggot.

Chas

Wasillaguy
01-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Last time I was up in Canada, the news stories always seemed to find a twist to blame their problems on the U.S. It was more like national narcissism than exceptionalism.

We get tourists up here from all over the world. The Japanese and Chinese are the rudest by far. No attempt to learn even the most basic "hello" or "excuse me", and they have no concept of treating others with respect or consideration. They can't form a line and wait their turn, just blatantly push, shove, and squeeze in mob style.

BlueStreak
01-27-2012, 08:04 PM
And here we have no one to blame but each other. That's why nothing ever gets solved.
And, I'm sure you understand, that when our economy falters it usually does drag a lot of other people with it.

So, there is some truth to be found there.

Dave